Australian Charity Party

Remove this Banner Ad

Less likely to have a drivers license, bank account, fixed address or name on a lease (thus rates notices, bills) and so on.

Just how poor are we talking here?

You are basically talking about homeless people, who don't vote anyway because they aren't on electoral rolls. You don't have to be very rich to have a bank account or driver's license.

Seems like you've been owned and cannot admit it?
No I can just see that it won't go anywhere - see construction of obtuse response around the word 'impossible'. I don't want to have to reply to every post to point out it's a forum and shorthand words like 'impossible' can mean 'very difficult' or 'very unlikely'. Who has that much time to waste?

But look: there is technical justice, technical access to services, technical voting rights. Then there is the effective version of those things.

Technically we can all vote. Laws and economic conditions mean effectively people are locked out and any impact that the vote has is effectively crushed.

No I can just see that it won't go anywhere - see construction of obtuse response around the word 'impossible'. I don't want to have to reply to every post to point out it's a forum and shorthand words like 'impossible' can mean 'very difficult' or 'very unlikely'. Who has that much time to waste?

Getting a driver's license is not "very difficult" or "very unlikely" either. If you literally can't drive, then you can get a passport.

You are vastly exaggerating how much this will effect poor people voting. It just won't. Out of all the things to get upset about, this is a pretty silly one.

Getting a driver's license is not "very difficult" or "very unlikely" either. If you literally can't drive, then you can get a passport.

You are vastly exaggerating how much this will effect poor people voting. It just won't. Out of all the things to get upset about, this is a pretty silly one.
Why do we need to pile this expense on people who may not be able to afford it, or have access to the services that support it?

AEC didn't ask for or need shortened registration period or party registration changes. QEC didn't want voter ID.

The changes were designed to cut people out of the picture. The evidence is all there - it isn't changed by crossing your arms and going "Harrumph! Poor people!"

Why do we need to pile this expense on people who may not be able to afford it, or have access to the services that support it?

You keep going on as if getting hold of photo ID is some new idea that's just been invented. 95% of people already have it, even the poor ones.

This is just a conspiracy theory, nothing more.

Is participation in this thread restricted to people who are making no sense whatsoever, or can anyone join in?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am I to believe that there isn't a group of people here who will be paid a handsome sum for administering this party/business model?

The cynic in me thinks this is a great capitalization on public perception of politics being in the toilet, someone has identified that simple clean and friendly ideals make a disaffected and disinterested voting public feel like they have made a contribution.

Forgive my new handle, I couldn't remember my old BF handle but i was here from 2004-2008 on the bulldogs board mainly, i don't remember the politics board being anywhere near as big though. I was told by my web developer that someone had mentioned the ACP on a few places, including here, so I thoght i'd pay the respect of whomever posted it, and i've no idea who did. But they did so i'm here now.

There's no all-powerful being or money here. I was retired off at 27 from Victoria Police with physical injuries, pain for life and the accompanying PTSD - i've got time to talk and try to help others which is the best form of distraction from pain I have, the Bulldogs are not helping at all except for the VFL yesterday for the most part. That's the part of the job you can't replace easily, helping by doing. There's certainly no money behind us as i've paid for everything to date off my mortgage/line of credit which hasn't been easy but I need to help those who I can with this idea. Every memberships of $5 is payable to the charity of your choice and to get tweets and facebook photos in is rewarding. Over the journey this will more than repay my outlay, so the net affect is great.

I've asked a very good team of professionals to help and they've answered our call. My positon of where I am in life is not to tell people what to think or judge others, I only to ask people 'to think'. If you've read this thread and thought about your vote and it makes you more determined to vote the same way as last time than it's a good thing. If you think voting with another party or our party is better, then that's as equally great. From people taking an interest in our deomcrtic/funding systems then we are rectifying political 'disinterest'. However, if people remain disaffected then we aim to win their votes and give any and all funding to charity. If people either want to vote for our candidates or can't find a better party to vote for than us, then perhaps other parties should try harder to inspire.

We are using our platform to help many charities and indivduals right now, and I have just received an amazing email just now which makes me proud as punch for us. Proud to be Australian stuff. It is 'clean and friendly ideals', which is hard to believe because I think we've got our BS detectors in overdrive. Overdrive! Try asking for peoples attention when they think it's money and politics involved!! But we're out there signing up new members, hearing amazing things, hearing sorrowful things and generally trying to find soultions or help. It's obviously more than OK not to like me personally or to not like the ACP, but just for any interest, we are what we say we are. Cheers, Dave.

But look: there is technical justice, technical access to services, technical voting rights. Then there is the effective version of those things.

Technically we can all vote. Laws and economic conditions mean effectively people are locked out and any impact that the vote has is effectively crushed.

So what's your solution?

If free advice is wanted I think Kathy Jackson would be an ideal candidate for this fledgling Party. She is a highly visible candidate with impeccable broad spectrum credentials from her many years working for poorly paid workers in the Health Sector. At the same time is Abbott's darling whistle blower and a dinner guest of the right wing HR Nicholls Society. Best of all she is really into "charity" of all sorts.:)

If free advice is wanted I think Kathy Jackson would be an ideal candidate for this fledgling Party. She is a highly visible candidate with impeccable broad spectrum credentials from her many years working for poorly paid workers in the Health Sector. At the same time is Abbott's darling whistle blower and a dinner guest of the right wing HR Nicholls Society. Best of all she is really into "charity" of all sorts.:)

Good call and there would be no discouraging of the poor and disenfranchised to vote.

I think it was her who early in her career received 785 of a possible 545 votes.

Why do you need to have a fully working solution in order to point out the problems with the current system?

You don't.

However as this is a political discussion board and you appear to have strong views - one might think you perhaps have counter views on what can be improved?

There's lots of stones out there - you can throw them or gather them up and try and build a wall.

You have a nice throw BTW.

There are a million different ideas about how to fix different broken pieces of the system.

The objective would be to wrest control of the democratic process from the entrenched institutions and the people that fund them, and place them under a better legal structure which is more resilient in the face of corruption and influence peddling.

Lots of suggestions have been floated to attack various aspects and problems of the current system.

Obvioulsy I think that repealing the exclusionary laws is a start.

Other ideas people have:

* Restricted political donations with full transparency.
* Better whistleblower legislation.
* Better electoral funding models.
* More direct democracy.
* More evidence based policy.
* Treaties not to be entered into without full parliamentary debate and full disclosure of the process.
* Better political journalism.
* etc etc

I don't know what would work and what wouldn't. Analysing them each independantly also has its own difficulties. But pointing out problems is a different part of the process to working out solutions.

In the meantime your vote means just about 7/8ths of SFA and if someone finds a way to make it count the laws are changed. It might be a start if people faced up to this fact.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back