Australian Open 2015 - Day 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Spent the day at the tennis with a ground pass. Potentially could've been a great day, but was mainly a frustrating one. 11am on sc3 was Dimitrov v Bagdhatis with a 1.5hr wait to get in, managed to see sets 3-5. After that match everyone raced to Hisense for the Murray match. Like others have mentioned there were people everywhere. CBF with another wait so went over and watched the men's doubles on sc2 with Hewitt playing. Made the trek back to Hisense to try my luck again, arrived at the start of 3rd set and managed to get in for the start of Groth v Tomic game. Game was a bit of a fizzer. Finished the day off back at sc2 to watch the rest of Anderson v Gasquet.

Anyone else have problems with long waiting time at Hisense in previous days? The pass-out system is a bit of a joke as well.
Oh damn hopefully it is a better experience next time. The pass out system must be a new thing? can't recall them having that before at a non ticketed court

I didn't see I was too focused on Based Murray, but when I looked over there seemed to be some tape around a certain area, whether that was there from the start or people were asked to move I am not too sure.

Edit: Only about 20 of those twats showed up.
We were behind that section from the start of Murray and Soussa & stayed for Tomic/Groth. The whole 2 rows had regular punters in them, so my guess is they got shafted for the fanatics.

You line up for 2hrs and then these w***ers waltz straight in for an Oz vs Oz match where their influence is sfa. It's a joke.

We were behind that section from the start of Murray and Soussa & stayed for Tomic/Groth. The whole 2 rows had regular punters in them, so my guess is they got shafted for the fanatics.

You line up for 2hrs and then these ******s waltz straight in for an Oz vs Oz match where their influence is sfa. It's a joke.
Would be fuming if got turfed out for them!

Aus Open has turned into another theme park. Ground pass is no longer good value.

• s**t scheduling - you coudn't put the Baghdatis vs. Dimitrov game on Hisense instead putting Wickmayer and then two unseeded sheilas including a 19 year old German? A top 10 seed should never get shafted to Show Court 3 while unranked birds get precedence.
  • Pure ******* lines - no televisions around said lines so if you don't have a data plan you can't track anything.
  • Horse s**t passout system.
  • Trash customer service, 0 signs awaring anybody of policies e.g. passout system, current waiting times.
  • Too many crowds as a whole, stop selling so many ground passes and * off tourists.

• s**t scheduling - you coudn't put the Baghdatis vs. Dimitrov game on Hisense instead putting Wickmayer and then two unseeded sheilas including a 19 year old German? A top 10 seed should never get shafted to Show Court 3 while unranked birds get precedence.

Impossible, they had maxed out the amount of mens matches allowed on Hisense for the day. There has to be a womens match there. Just unlucky that most of the seeds went in the womens draw, unlucky.

Impossible, they had maxed out the amount of mens matches allowed on Hisense for the day. There has to be a womens match there. Just unlucky that most of the seeds went in the womens draw, unlucky.

There were 2 women's matches before Murray actually.
I'm all for gender equality, but you don't push a big crowd game to showcourt 3 and show a second women's match between two unseeded Romanian and German women that was witnessed by a half full Hisense (most would have been there in anticipation of Murray). That's ******* tournament scheduling 101.

There were 2 women's matches before Murray actually.
I'm all for gender equality, but you don't push a big crowd game to showcourt 3 and show a second women's match between two unseeded Romanian and German women that was witnessed by a half full Hisense (most would have been there in anticipation of Murray). That's ******* tournament scheduling 101.

The reason would be there was already 2 mens matches on Hisense- Murray's and Tomic. Not sure they are allowed a 3rd. Honestly though one of those womens singles should have been a doubles though. That is fun to watch, maybe the Bryans?

Most people who left for drinks/toilet around us spent an eternity trying to get back in and often told "Once you leave, can't come back... :confused:".

Only saw the 10min pass outs being spoken about prior to Tomic game which I didn't stay for. Seemed pretty chaotic today, much better value on Showcourts.
only had to wait 20 or so minutes to get in, near the end of the first Womens match. i left during the Murray game and they send they had no pass outs left. didnt worry me as i figured it would be a long wait to get back in even with a pass out and it was a poor match.

not knowing the system, im assuming people are meant to give them back when they return. the fact they run out could mean too many people holding seats and leaving for an extended period. just guessing. i dont like pass outs due to that. its not a sound system.

they are in a bit of a s**t situation though with all those people wanting to come in and no way to see if those pass out people were holding a seat longer than they should. they obviously tried to do half a dozen of each way. it seemed to work around my area, but i left before peak hour u could say.

I have worked in a similar ushering role in another event and it is really not very fun. people are really selfish pricks.

they are in a bit of a s**t situation though with all those people wanting to come in and no way to see if those pass out people were holding a seat longer than they should. they obviously tried to do half a dozen of each way. it seemed to work around my area, but i left before peak hour u could say.

I have worked in a similar ushering role in another event and it is really not very fun. people are really selfish pricks.
Yeah but if my mate is inside 'cos he's been there all day and is saving me a seat, I don't see what they're gaining by not letting me straight in other than adding to a massive ******* queue.

Yeah but if my mate is inside 'cos he's been there all day and is saving me a seat, I don't see what they're gaining by not letting me straight in other than adding to a massive ******* queue.

I know you are genuine but think from the staff's perspective...the old 'my mates inside' line is used every 3 seconds to get in.

what makes u special that you skip the line just because u have a mate inside saving u a seat. how do they(the ushers) know when you are coming. how do they know who u are. so many people assume that the ushers know who your mate is.

u could take an hour arrive, and that is an hour of a wasted seat someone else could have used. no offensive(and this is a personal opinion), if u wanted to watch match, really wanted to, you would be already be there. a non reserved seated stadium is just that. no reserves.

i understand the need for passouts in a long event like a tennis match but personally, i think it is selfish if u hold to a seat for an extended period of time without a good reason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah and I'd understand them knocking that excuse back if it wasn't totally at odds with how the seating staff were organising the place inside. One of the blue shirt chicks kept walking up to the rafters where we were and asking "Any seats spare??" when just about everyone was saving a seat or two for people who couldn't get in the door in the first place, cos they were halfways back through a ******* queue :confused:

Yeah and I'd understand them knocking that excuse back if it wasn't totally at odds with how the seating staff were organising the place inside. One of the blue shirt chicks kept walking up to the rafters where we were and asking "Any seats spare??" when just about everyone was saving a seat or two for people who couldn't get in the door in the first place, cos they were halfways back through a ******* queue :confused:

Get there earlier. Different if you are just going outside to the toilet or the bar or whatever, but come on this 'minding' seats is rubbish. It is unreserved. Get there EARLY!

Get there earlier. Different if you are just going outside to the toilet or the bar or whatever, but come on this 'minding' seats is rubbish. It is unreserved. Get there EARLY!
I was there from the start of the Begu/Witthoeft game and left at the end of the Murray one. Never held seats for anyone.

Doesn't mean there wasn't still a lack of communication between the seating staff and those on the door.

what makes u special that you skip the line just because u have a mate inside saving u a seat. how do they(the ushers) know when you are coming. how do they know who u are. so many people assume that the ushers know who your mate is.

u could take an hour arrive, and that is an hour of a wasted seat someone else could have used. no offensive(and this is a personal opinion), if u wanted to watch match, really wanted to, you would be already be there. a non reserved seated stadium is just that. no reserves..
Absolutely. Someone could've passed the memo onto the seating staff maybe?

i dont know what happened later in the day, and i was at gate 1(i dont know what happened at other gates, nor do i know where they are), but they and a pass out line on the steps to get in. if u get stuck outside trying to get in because u left the stadium, then tough. passouts should only be for food, drink and piss, and both could be done inside the stadium. the only sucky thing is the wasted seat.
I was there from the start of the Begu/Witthoeft game and left at the end of the Murray one. Never held seats for anyone.

Doesn't mean there wasn't still a lack of communication between the seating staff and those on the door.
yeah, agree with that. but no amount of yelling and signs will stop some people. they do need a better method. maybe like a gate on the exit to the stadium and when people arrive, they receive a ticket . then they leave the stadium, they have to hand back that ticket to exit and then the next person in line receives said ticket.

u can tell i had a hard time with this in the past :(

Spent the day at the tennis with a ground pass. Potentially could've been a great day, but was mainly a frustrating one. 11am on sc3 was Dimitrov v Bagdhatis with a 1.5hr wait to get in, managed to see sets 3-5. After that match everyone raced to Hisense for the Murray match. Like others have mentioned there were people everywhere. CBF with another wait so went over and watched the men's doubles on sc2 with Hewitt playing. Made the trek back to Hisense to try my luck again, arrived at the start of 3rd set and managed to get in for the start of Groth v Tomic game. Game was a bit of a fizzer. Finished the day off back at sc2 to watch the rest of Anderson v Gasquet.

Anyone else have problems with long waiting time at Hisense in previous days? The pass-out system is a bit of a joke as well.
Got there at the start of the day and didn't leave, I sort of wish I could check out the grounds more, but in the end was happy to get to see the Eerani game which was a great game of women's tennis, the Murray Game and the Aussie game, even though it didn't really deliver.

There used to be a general rule that you could only "save/mind a seat" for two changes of end during a match?

I think we might end up with a situation where Hisense becomes ticketed again as well or SC2 or Sc3 needs to be upgraded so it can share some more of the load

Most people who left for drinks/toilet around us spent an eternity trying to get back in and often told "Once you leave, can't come back... :confused:".

Only saw the 10min pass outs being spoken about prior to Tomic game which I didn't stay for. Seemed pretty chaotic today, much better value on Showcourts.
I had no problem on Wednesday. I received a pass out on the way out which was for "45 mins" but there was time stamped so I could have taken longer. They had the middle of the stairs free for the pass out holders to get in quicker. I was back in my seat at the next change of ends after I queued up.

Yes, Ive also struggled to get a seat at Hisense. I gave up, and ended up going to another show court.

Aust Open needs a better ticketing system, this one isn't working. Nowadays too many people are getting ground passes, and it just makes it harder for us to get a seat at the tennis.

Aus Open has turned into another theme park. Ground pass is no longer good value.

• Pure ******* lines - no televisions around said lines so if you don't have a data plan you can't track anything.
  • Horse s**t passout system.
  • Trash customer service, 0 signs awaring anybody of policies e.g. passout system, current waiting times.
  • Too many crowds as a whole, stop selling so many ground passes and **** off tourists.

This! They are just money hungry, and selling too many ground passes. Tennis Aust doesn't have the capacity to allow so many people into the ground, and allow us to watch tennis. And, do we really a beer garden at the tennis?

Dimitrov v Baghdatis match should've been on Hisense. Bad scheduling this year.

I went Monday and we did think of going to Hisense to see the Tomic match but when we saw the queues out the door we didn't bother, afterwards someone on here said it was only 75% full so I don't know what was going on there.

Have to say I was a bit frustrated on Monday. Saw the first match that we wanted to but struggled to get into any others. I didn't go last year because of the heat but went two years ago and was able to move around a lot and see lots of different matches, not the case this year. Long queues for food, drinks, toilets etc. too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back