Teams Baltimore Ravens - Rise and Conquer

Remove this Banner Ad

Ravens Reach Agreement With Cornerback Kyle Arrington

The former Patriot has reached an agreement on a three-year deal pending the passing of a physical.

Ozzie Newsome told PSL owners on a conference call Tuesday night that he was in the market for free-agent corners.

He’s backed up that statement.

Newsome and the Ravens reached a three-year deal with veteran cornerback Kyle Arrington, who was recently released by the New England Patriots.

Arrington, 28, has spent the last the last six seasons of his career in New England. He’s been a starter off and on since 2010, and he’s collected nine interceptions, five forced fumbles and three sacks during that time.

The Patriots released Arrington as part of a salary dump because he was scheduled to count $4.625 million against the cap. They were reportedly trying to bring him back at a reduced rate before the Ravens reached a deal with him.

The seven-year veteran gives the Ravens a proven veteran who will compete for playing time at the third cornerback spot behind starters Jimmy Smith and Ladarius Webb. Arrington actually has more playing experience than anybody else in Baltimore’s secondary.

“We are still looking for defensive backs,” Head Coach John Harbaugh said Tuesday. “There’s no doubt about it. We want to add some competition in there."

The 5-foot-10, 190-pound defender excels as a slot cornerback. He’s shut down some of the game’s best slot receivers over the years, including Wes Welker, Victor Cruz and T.Y. Hilton.

The Ravens wanted to add depth to the defensive secondary after seeing the group get riddled with injuries in 2014. Smith and Webb are both expected to return to full strength this year, but last year showed that the Ravens need depth at one of the NFL’s most critical positions.

With Webb and Smith healthy, along with the additions of Arrington and veteran safetyKendrick Lewis , the Ravens expect the secondary to make significant strides this season

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news...rrington/7c3c2d9e-3158-45ab-9236-facbbc828adf

Good stuff. No more Matt Elam at slot corner makes me happy.

Based on watching post-draft practices, ESPN Ravens reporter Jamison Hensley expects Baltimore to keep the zone-blocking scheme in place.

The Ravens will "borrow" outgoing OC Gary Kubiak's zone scheme under new OC Marc Trestman, who may dial up more pass attempts but won't tweak the system. It'll remain a West Coast offense that maintains inside- and outside-zone concepts on running plays. The Ravens ranked No. 8 in the NFL in rushing offense last season, and return all five starters on the offensive line.

Source: ESPN.com

Most have us in the top 5-10
I really liked this team, if the young D line, Receiving core and the secondary can play as well as I think it can, we'll be right up there.

John Harbaugh: Ravens are working on illegal formations
Posted by Michael David Smith on June 21, 2015, 9:41 AM EDT
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptu5nznhnzkxogi4mzhhnzuzzgi3otgynwjlzmm3mdy0.jpeg
AP
When the Patriots unveiled their surprise four-lineman formation in a January win over the Ravens, Baltimore head coach John Harbaugh was furious, feeling that the officials wrongly allowed the Patriots to disguise which players were eligible receivers.

But even if Harbaugh’s gripe is legitimate, he wants his players to be ready for any future shenanigans. And so Harbaugh told USA Today that his team spent some time working on illegal formations at minicamp, just in case another team springs something surprising on the Ravens.

“We are working on formations – legal formations, illegal formations, unexpected formations,” Harbaugh said. “The first time we ran it, you heard [linebacker Terrell] Suggs out there saying, ‘That’s not legal, that’s not legal.’ We will not assume that the referees are going to understand or always get it right when a formation goes out on the field, so we’re working on everything.”

One would hope that the referees would get it right on every play, but Harbaugh doesn’t want to rely on hope. He wants his players to be ready even if the ref isn’t ready.

What are your thoughts on the season guys.
IMO it all rests on how the young skill players like Perriman, Williams, Brown etc on offense go this season.
If they can get going I think we will win the division at 11-5, if not and Flacco can't get any help we'll be around 8-8

What are your thoughts on the season guys.
IMO it all rests on how the young skill players like Perriman, Williams, Brown etc on offense go this season.
If they can get going I think we will win the division at 11-5, if not and Flacco can't get any help we'll be around 8-8

I think it will be similar to previous seasons. We will squeeze into the playoffs at 9-7 or 10-6 in a wildcard spot and cause some chaos (scare some patriots fans) but ultimately be knocked out.

I don't think our WR or secondary are good enough for a superbowl thrust this season

I'm a bit disappointed to hear that Perrimen's drops have been an issue so far at camp. A lot is being made of the "WR battle" over camp but to me it seems like it's who is the least s**t that will start.

I agree with trueblue_91 I think we'll have a similar season to last year, even though we've lost some very good verterans I think we won't lose any ground.

Winning the AFC north has happen this year. It would be great to not have to travel for the play-offs.

I think it will be similar to previous seasons. We will squeeze into the playoffs at 9-7 or 10-6 in a wildcard spot and cause some chaos (scare some patriots fans) but ultimately be knocked out.

I don't think our WR or secondary are good enough for a superbowl thrust this season
I don't mind our secondary with, Smith, Webb, Lewis and Hill starting but our reciveing Corp isn't great

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Elam out for the season weakens our depth a bit as well (but to be honest, I considered him a bit of a liability based on his past performances)
Yeah a little, but his been a total bust.
So maybe we can sign someone who may even contribute more.

OC Marc Trestman said he doesn't expect the Ravens to use the shotgun much in 2015.

"We're an under-the-center offensive football team," said Trestman. "Defenses and game-planning will determine that. But ultimately, we're under the center." After taking a league-high 625 snaps from the shotgun in 2013, the Ravens backed off that approach by giving Joe Flacco only 243 plays from the shotgun last season. Flacco's 91.0 passer rating last year was his highest since 2010.

OC Marc Trestman said he doesn't expect the Ravens to use the shotgun much in 2015.

"We're an under-the-center offensive football team," said Trestman. "Defenses and game-planning will determine that. But ultimately, we're under the center." After taking a league-high 625 snaps from the shotgun in 2013, the Ravens backed off that approach by giving Joe Flacco only 243 plays from the shotgun last season. Flacco's 91.0 passer rating last year was his highest since 2010.

Good, his better from under centre anyway, with the play action etc.

NO bell for the Steelers helps, but i think the Bengals take top spot. There run home is 4-2 if not 5-1.

Bengals will get those 'arm flexing wins' as they do and they'll still be the same BUNGLES by coughing up dumb losses to lesser teams. It's gonna be more about which team take their chances in clutch time that decide those crucial divisional games.

Bell is only suspended for first two weeks.. I like to think the Steelers will manage with DeAngelo Williams & the part-timer RB's. It's never a forgone conclusion in this BLACK n' BLUE Division where three of the four AFCN have each claimed a couple division titles in the last six seasons. Ravens will be tough and competitive as they usually are.

Dennis Pitta (hip) still hasn't been cleared to practice.

Pitta remains on active/PUP, watching practice in shorts and a T-shirt and then going to position meetings. The Ravens continue to say it's too early to tell if he'll be able to play at all in 2015 or beyond. Pitta has fractured and dislocated his hip in back-to-back years.

Source: Baltimore Sun

I have a feeling that even though there is a lot of hype around Maxx Williams, Crocket Gillmore will have a great year and could have double digit TDs. All the reports say he’s been targeted a lot in Red Zone drills and that he’s standing up and making strong catches.

I have a feeling that even though there is a lot of hype around Maxx Williams, Crocket Gillmore will have a great year and could have double digit TDs. All the reports say he’s been targeted a lot in Red Zone drills and that he’s standing up and making strong catches.
rookie TEs generally are ineffectual and takes till season three

rookie TEs generally are ineffectual and takes till season three

Yeah I agree with that it just seems like Maxx still gets all the buzz and Gillmore is an afterthought.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back