Benny Gale on Talking Footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brief summary:

- Said the club never lost faith in their season and tried to salvage the second half.
- Players believed they could win most of the remaining games.
- Mentioned he was proud of the boys for the way they turned the season around.
- Said that the club had not focussed on the little things that mattered, which may have contributed to the start of the season, as well as injuries to key players.
- Credited Trent Cotchin on trying to be more vocal and adapting to the demands of being captain after losing himself a little bit.
- Said Dimma hasn't changed his approach to coaching, but is being a little more vocal.
- Was disappointed that Ivan stated his opinion publicly a few weeks ago, but commended him by saying it showed tremendous leadership, and that he was most likely right, and that it echoed the sentiments of most of the football department.
- Said he had no clue why the clash jumper was not available, citing the 2010 win in torrential rain and mud and that in those conditions you could still differentiate teams.
- Said the club was putting on buses for members heading to Adelaide.

Pretty much it.

Forgot to mention, guys:

Benny also said whilst Ty is an important player for us, Griff has taken his spot and has been terrific for us. Also said that there is no room for 3 tall forwards as it takes away versatility y not allowing Deledio or Martin to play there as often as they would like.

Forgot to mention, guys:

Benny also said whilst Ty is an important player for us, Griff has taken his spot and has been terrific for us. Also said that there is no room for 3 tall forwards as it takes away versatility y not allowing Deledio or Martin to play there as often as they would like.

Gale isn't on the match committee

Forgot to mention, guys:

You forgot to mention that you tweeted into them! I saw your name pop up on the bottom of the screen. Can't remember the question you asked though but they didn't put it to Benny! :eek:

Imo hindsight is a wasted emotion or exercise. You make the best decision with all the facts in front of you after healthy debate. Then you vote or decide and then you own that decision. Any board, management team or group follow this method and since you cant go back in time(which sometimes you wish you could) to change it, then there is no point in worrying about it. learn from it and move on.

Imo hindsight is a wasted emotion or exercise. You make the best decision with all the facts in front of you after healthy debate. Then you vote or decide and then you own that decision. Any board, management team or group follow this method and since you cant go back in time(which sometimes you wish you could) to change it, then there is no point in worrying about it. learn from it and move on.
So, so true flea. One classic example of hindsight which makes ours pale in comparison would be the 2008 season. Had Geelong rested key players leading up to the finals series they most likely would've walked all over the Hawks and changed the course of history.

The history of our game is littered with such examples, and you're spot on there's now no point worrying about them!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you still need to reflect on the mistakes of the past in order to learn from them..... not bring up piss poor excuses why the mistakes were made. Honesty goes along way and our PR department needs to understand that coming up with spin each week and forcing the football department and coaches to spread bullshit like Miles need to work on his deficiencys is just bullshit.... Like KB says Lies is the second language of the AFL

Gale isn't on the match committee

Said it in response to neing asked if Vickery was an automatic inclusion this week. I think he had a point. Rather Jack and Griff, with Dusty and Lids spending time there.

Watson talked s**t by saying Cotchin wanted Dimma to be tougher on them.... which I dont the said.

When the club held the feedback forum, from reports Cotch was told that he needs to be a biy more vocal in his leadership, and Dimma was told he needs to be a bit harder on the team when they don't perform. Not sure how accurate thay is, but has been mentioned in various media outlets, so Watson wasn't making it up.

I agree, but I phrased the question wrong. It was only after I submitted it did I think to put:

What was the thought process behind elevating Matt Thomas over Anthony Miles?

For me, I wanted to know the reasons why, when it was obvious after NAB Challenge that Miles seemed a better prospect.

Said it in response to neing asked if Vickery was an automatic inclusion this week. I think he had a point. Rather Jack and Griff, with Dusty and Lids spending time there.

I watched the interview, was just pointing out that it's Gale's opinion and it should be taken with a grain of salt.

Watson fair dinkim does not have a clue...in anything ....
Wears funny goggles too...
AssetEyewear.RoundBlack.6347.jpg

That's a good theory for those that get things wrong. Same theory doesn't make sense to those that get things right IMO

you still need to reflect on the mistakes of the past in order to learn from them..... not bring up piss poor excuses why the mistakes were made. Honesty goes along way and our PR department needs to understand that coming up with spin each week and forcing the football department and coaches to spread bullshit like Miles need to work on his deficiencys is just bullshit.... Like KB says Lies is the second language of the AFL
Sure reflect on decisions, absolutely, but you cant change(particularly sport) them so you move on and review/adjust any method that you used in that decision. That's just on tangible issues but sometimes in sport the intangibles aren't always measurable or quantifiable. Also don't assume all things said in the media is what is said behind closed doors, but essentially I agree with you on the point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back