Best off season list changes

Remove this Banner Ad

Patrick McCartin if his diabetes doesn't impede on his progress and his career has that same opportunity.
I remember you saying a few months ago that there was a concern amongst some clubs that McCartin's skin folds may have still been very high because perhaps his diabetes was causing them to be- in spite of him being dedicated and watching his diet and so-on- so was your mind eased to any extent when you read or heard about Paddy destroying the high-intensity fitness sessions in the period between the end of his season and the draft, apparently bringing his skinfolds down from around 80 to 64, in a couple of months (if you have heard/read that)? If he keeps up that rate of improvement you'd think they would be down below 50 by the end of the preseason, which would be a hell of a good start.

Running laps on a padded surface is a long way from the rigers of AFL. I don't think even the most positive essendon supporter expects close to his damaging best. He was a top 10 player when he was at his damaging best.
Most also would have thought it was fanciful if anyone had suggested say 4-5 years ago that Nick Riewoldt would still be winning B&F's and making AA teams this year, at 32yo, given how bad his knees looked like they were, and yet he has done both of these things this year and things sound very positive re. Cooney- who has had the same knee treatments as Roo- so if things continue on the way they seem to be going now (with him doing most of the training, not "running laps on a padded surface") it won't surprise me at all if he gets back to playing very, very good footy again.

ManOfClay, do you re-read your posts?
Read this: Man of Clay said: "I'm not the one desperately trying to pretend Carlton pulled off a big recruiting coup"
What does that tell you? Off topic a touch, maybe?

Jones & Tutt wanted to leave your club as did your captain along with others. They're the facts but you don't like them. That's O.K. but just be honest.

It has nothing to do with how well Cooney, Griffen, Higgins, Jones or Tutt will perform.
It just suggests you club was somewhat on the nose. Everyone knows that..........it's not a secret.

BTW: Tutt was not a prime candidate for de-listing as you keep suggesting. Do you even know what prime means?

Boys Boys stop this...

I think Richmond and St Kilda killed the draft both added class and positions they needed filled.

I would rate Carlton as the worst as Boakhurst will struggle at AFL level doesn't like it hard and Tutt is a list clogger-Hope Jones does something but just a kick and mark player at this stage.

The bulldogs getting Boyd and Cordy Junior add exactly what we needed also Webb is rated by Brighton Grammars head of football Mr Shaw rates him top 3 in this years draft.
As for Cooney love the guy hope he does well and Griff is a gun bad losses but would they be there to play next finals series.

I remember you saying a few months ago that there was a concern amongst some clubs that McCartin's skin folds may have still been very high because perhaps his diabetes was causing them to be- in spite of him being dedicated and watching his diet and so-on- so was your mind eased to any extent when you read or heard about Paddy destroying the high-intensity fitness sessions in the period between the end of his season and the draft, apparently bringing his skinfolds down from around 80 to 64, in a couple of months (if you have heard/read that)? If he keeps up that rate of improvement you'd think they would be down below 50 by the end of the preseason, which would be a hell of a good start.

I don't see any relationship.

I see diabetes as a different issue that make his circumstances different.

Last edited:
Boys Boys stop this...

I would rate Carlton as the worst as Boakhurst will struggle at AFL level doesn't like it hard and Tutt is a list clogger-Hope Jones does something but just a kick and mark player at this stage.

So because you don't rate BB that means our intire draft/trade fail. You guys got Boyd but Wow talk about selling the farm.

So because you don't rate BB that means our intire draft/trade fail. You guys got Boyd but Wow talk about selling the farm.

Just for some balance, I was sorry to lose both Jones and Tutt. I could see Jones benefitting from having another big bodied forward in the same side and Tutt's pace and work ethic would be handy after losing Cooney and the traitor in the off season.

Assessing the off season is difficult. From the outside we've had a shocker, but on the opposite side of the coin we've shipped off players that didn't want to be there. While not ideal, I'd rather have players that are committed than those who aren't up for the fight. There will be some short term pain associated with this, but helping to balance this is one of the best young KPF prospects in the last 5 - 10 years. It may not work, but it's something different and potentially revolutionary by the Dogs - so worth a shot....

Getting Boyd was, or at least has the real potential to be, HUGE, even if it sets things back a year or two in the short term for WB. They now look like they may have the "marquee power forward" that they've been crying out for for so many of the last couple of decades, the one that they can build their forward line and even team around and if they finish low for the next year or two, as a result of having lost Griffen, Cooney, Higgins and Gia and then if they lose Morris for instance, that just means more really high draft picks, to get more Macrae, Bontempelli, Stringer types and in a few years time they could have a seriously impressive list of genuinely "elite young talent".

Just for some balance, I was sorry to lose both Jones and Tutt. I could see Jones benefitting from having another big bodied forward in the same side and Tutt's pace and work ethic would be handy after losing Cooney and the traitor in the off season.

Assessing the off season is difficult. From the outside we've had a shocker, but on the opposite side of the coin we've shipped off players that didn't want to be there. While not ideal, I'd rather have players that are committed than those who aren't up for the fight. There will be some short term pain associated with this, but helping to balance this is one of the best young KPF prospects in the last 5 - 10 years. It may not work, but it's something different and potentially revolutionary by the Dogs - so worth a shot....

After getting rid of similar talented but lazy/undisciplined players. I can see how you get that feeling of optimism I just don't know if I could justify paying any 19yr 1mill a year but in saying that I don't think I would be have been disappointed if we tabled a similar deal to him at the end of this year. It's wot you had to give up to get him that is going to hurt.
Was also a little shocked at your drafting. Thought that you guys would take one of the Western Jets kids DVR and particularly Menadue would have been a great fit at the Dogs.

I wouldn't underestimate Lucas Webb. Recently re-watched the champs game when he was pretty much BOG this year and he is super-talented and classy, with a weapon of a left foot. Shifter said in commentary that there were really high expectations on him coming into that season, but it seems like he only really showed why in that champs game. Wouldn't assume he is any worse than DVR (who tested pretty poorly across the board at the combine- not sure how much of that is due to his recent injury issue) and Toby McLean also has a hell of a lot going for him, like Elliott at Collingwood. Daniel small of course, but if he finds a niche ought to be excellent.

If they finish low this year they might be able to nab a Darcy Parish, who could be an incredible get for them and just what they need going forward.

Last edited:
After getting rid of similar talented but lazy/undisciplined players. I can see how you get that feeling of optimism I just don't know if I could justify paying any 19yr 1mill a year but in saying that I don't think I would be have been disappointed if we tabled a similar deal to him at the end of this year. It's wot you had to give up to get him that is going to hurt.
Was also a little shocked at your drafting. Thought that you guys would take one of the Western Jets kids DVR and particularly Menadue would have been a great fit at the Dogs.

I can understand that view, but in reality - what other options did we have. If you look at the list of players available in the off season - who should we have chased instead ?? And if you look at the big, proven KPF's - who was going to leave to come to the Dogs ?? So, IMO, we got the best available option - but I agree we paid for it. But we can actually afford to... We're still only paying 95% of the cap this year. Next year we can go to 105% (under the new rules) and pay an enormous wedge of it to Boyd, then his salary in the years following starts to look more reasonable. High, for a kid his age, but not as bad.

I wouldn't underestimate Lucas Webb. Recently re-watched the champs game when he was pretty much BOG this year and he is super-talented and classy, with a weapon of a left foot. Wouldn't assume he is any worse than DVR (who tested pretty poorly across the board at the combine- not sure how much of that is due to his recent injury issue) and Toby McLean also has a hell of a lot going for him, like Elliott at Collingwood. Daniel small of course, but if he finds a niche ought to be excellent.

If they finish low this year they might be able to nab a Darcy Parish, who could be an incredible get for them and just what they need going forward.

Apparently we have prioritised fitness and skills in the offseason - so running and ball work. The contested side of our game is ok, it's just how we use it once we've got it that matters. So good ball users were a must. There has been serious debate/discussion/argument on the Dogs board following our draft, but I'm prepared to wait and see the guys play before it's a good or bad draft year.

I would be backing in whoever it was that picked the likes of Macrae and Bontempelli (when other clubs wouldn't have picked them that high), myself, over those on a board on BF.

From memory McLean and Daniel had the lowest and 2nd lowest skinfolds at the combine this year, so I think they would certainly tick the fitness boxes and Webb and Daniel have terrific skills and by the sounds of it so does whoever you got that is related to the Jarmans.

As for Boyd's contract, the word is that there is a huge chance that the salary cap's will go through the roof after the next TV rights deal, as a result of the AFLPA demanding a bigger piece of the pie goes to those actually playing the game, so by the 2nd half of Boyd's contract $1 mill PA might not actually be that big of a deal, if he reaches his immense potential.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently we have prioritised fitness and skills in the offseason - so running and ball work. The contested side of our game is ok, it's just how we use it once we've got it that matters. So good ball users were a must. There has been serious debate/discussion/argument on the Dogs board following our draft, but I'm prepared to wait and see the guys play before it's a good or bad draft year.

I'm sure there has. There is some really talented kids in the doggies 2014 draft class I just thought Menadue would have been a great fit add some real pace on the outside he fits a need and a local kid.
Webb looks like he could also add something a little different to there impressive midfield and Bailey Dale has a lot to like about him also.

I'm sure there has. There is some really talented kids in the doggies 2014 draft class I just thought Menadue would have been a great fit add some real pace on the outside he fits a need and a local kid.
Webb looks like he could also add something a little different to there impressive midfield and Bailey Dale has a lot to like about him also.
I liked Menadue too, but the Dogs recruiters/scouts didn't rate him at all, according to a well connected poster on our board.

Initially I was a bit surprised by the Webb selection, but after observing him at training and hearing a few snippets, I'm stoked with him. His efforts at training have been exceptional, and he's getting along really well with the playing group.

It would've been nice to add a couple of local boys (was keen on Menadue, DVR, Payne etc), and I wasn't all that impressed on draft night, but I'm happier with our crop every time I see them.

I liked Menadue too, but the Dogs recruiters/scouts didn't rate him at all, according to a well connected poster on our board.

Initially I was a bit surprised by the Webb selection, but after observing him at training and hearing a few snippets, I'm stoked with him. His efforts at training have been exceptional, and he's getting along really well with the playing group.

It would've been nice to add a couple of local boys (was keen on Menadue, DVR, Payne etc), and I wasn't all that impressed on draft night, but I'm happier with our crop every time I see them.

I have heard on the Richmond board the main concern might be his weight. Someone said they played footy in the FDFL with his dad and some of his older brothers and there all built like sticks. Who knows how Connor goes with putting on weight at an AFL club how it might effect his game.

I have heard on the Richmond board the main concern might be his weight. Someone said they played footy in the FDFL with his dad and some of his older brothers and there all built like sticks. Who knows how Connor goes with putting on weight at an AFL club how it might effect his game.
He'll be better equipped to put on weight and build an AFL-standard body now that he's at a club, but who knows if any sort of genetic pre-disposition might trip him up (As far as I know, Jarrad Grant eats like a horse and he still hasn't managed to get rid of the 'Spindleshanks' nickname). I hope he makes it, he was exciting to watch at TAC Cup level.

He should be fine. Jack Macrae is built like a tank and he was stick-thin when he was drafted. As was Bontempelli, who is now positively monstrous. I hold high hopes for Bailey Dale, as a result.

We all thought the same, but there is obviously some logic to it, that might not be realised for another year or so. I would have been looking at a KPD and a KPF to compliment our other young talent, but perhaps we are looking at a slightly different plan.

I'm guessing you either didn't see or don't remember how well he was playing in 2010 (including in that finals series, when he had 20 or more possies in all 4 of our finals, including the prelim and two grannies, while one of the youngest in our team) and in particular in 2011, prior to doing his knee, when he was I'd say comfortably one of our best half dozen for that season to the time of his injury, at just 24yo?

Hasn't reached the same heights since doing his ACL, but has also been played out of position and with I'd say too much bulk (so that he could play on the "gorillas", who are much too big for him) for most of the time since.

When he was playing in his best position (pocket/flank), fully fit, not as bulky and in form, he was terrific for us- very good one-on-one, extremely strong hands overhead, read the play well and outstanding long and penetrating left foot kicking.

Cheers for that. With Hurley and Hooker already in the backline he shouldn't get that role at Essendon.

Cheers for that. With Hurley and Hooker already in the backline he shouldn't get that role at Essendon.
You're welcome and I hope not, for his sake in particular and also hope that he isn't there just as back-up for them (and thus still bulky), but rather to play the sort of role he was playing for us when he was at his very good best.

8th in the B&F of a team that drew a GF (at a relatively young age and while still relatively inexperienced) shows how good he can be when he's at his best and he backed it up again the following year under much more trying circumstances, to prove that it wasn't just a fluke, or him riding on the coattails of others, so he can definitely play and he now also brings plenty of experience (and I dare say a determination to prove himself again), as well.

You're welcome and I hope not, for his sake in particular and also hope that he isn't there just as back-up for them (and thus still bulky), but rather to play the sort of role he was playing for us when he was at his very good best.

8th in the B&F of a team that drew a GF (at a relatively young age and while still relatively inexperienced) shows how good he can be when he's at his best and he backed it up again the following year under much more trying circumstances, to prove that it wasn't just a fluke, or him riding on the coattails of others, so he can definitely play and he now also brings plenty of experience (and I dare say a determination to prove himself again), as well.

Was apparently a stand out in the pre xmas preseason. They did say that about Jetta as well last year though!!

I can see both Adams and Broomhead having Breakout Years.

Varcoe is better then Lumumba.

NO Team would Improve after losing a Player of Beam’s Statue

We lost GAJ and won a flag the next year….

Just saying,….

GO Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back