Big Footy Phantom Draft 2014 - Trial Run

Remove this Banner Ad

Really interested to hear some thoughts on my draft from both Dogs supporters and the other draft watchers. I'm reasonably happy with it and think that, while some risks were taken, I don't believe I've made any major reaches and have succeeded in identifying players that clearly have something to offer the Dogs.

Pick #6: Jayden Laverde
While I acknowledge that some see this as being too early for Jayden - for totally understandable reasons - I really like him as a player and see the propensity for him to work on his weaknesses and allow him to develop into a fantastic footballer. At this point it's probably more an aptitude rather than ability pick, but I've seen enough of him in terms of exposed performance to have faith in his development and believe that he'll do pick 6 proud. In the long term, he adds size, speed and skill to the Bulldogs midfield and in the short term provides some real rebound from the back half. Playing alongside the likes of Libba, Wallis, Griffen and Boyd/Smith will see them doing the majority of the grunt work on the inside and allow him to play to his strengths and be a really dangerous option on the wing, and hopefully develop the ability to at least pinch-hit on-ball in the future. Jake Lever was the other player seriously considered at this pick and while I do really like him, am a little put off by having not seen him in about a year.

Pick #24: Reece McKenzie
Opinions on McKenzie differ considerably and he's one that is exceptionally difficult to place. The first thing I will say is that his big games are not what has won me over on Reece; instead, I see them as support for my opinions. While they were against weak opposition, I really like his scope for improvement and would expect him to have those hauls at this stage. His marking, combined with his size and smarts will make him a formidable key target, in my opinion, and is one of very few genuine number 1 talls in this draft - and that's exactly what the Dogs need. He adds physicality, contested marking ability and the propensity to develop into the type of player that can draw large quantities of the ball and really impact the scoreboard. Tyler Keitel, Clem Smith, Liam Dawson, Ed Vickers-Willis and Sean McLaren were amongst a multitude of options considered at this pick.

Pick #42: Jack Hayes
As I said in the write-up, I don't believe Hayes is getting the attention he probably deserves. Prior to this year he was considered a top twenty pick by quite a few people - and all that's really changed is a move to the back-line, where he showed very decent ability to shut down his man. He hasn't lost any of the ability that saw him impress a lot of people up forward, and instead has just added versatility to his game through a forced positional change. In my opinion he would work really well in tandem with McKenzie, offering the tackling support and work up the ground that McKenzie isn't fantastic with. In addition, he adds further marking and goal-kicking ability, as well as more size to the Bulldogs forward line. Connor Menadue, Jack Steele, Brayden Maynard and Kyle Langford were all considered here.

Pick #60: Connor Menadue

As mentioned previously, Menadue was heavily considered at my previous pick but instead opted to go with the height and goal-kicking ability of Hayes. I was really, really happy to have him slide to my next pick and see him as a player with a lot to work with, who also offers a lot of what the 'Dogs lack as a side: speed. Once he bulks up I can see him offering some real run and carry off a wing, something the Dogs have been crying out for for a long time. His distribution forward will also be much loved by the forwards, who cop the raw end of the deal at times with the delivery sub-par and slow. Other players considered at this pick included Jason Castagna, Zaine Cordy, Declan Hamilton and Mitch McGovern.

Pick #78: Dan Howe (write-up done btw)
I really like the fit for Howe at the Dogs; we really need that aerial support in defense, and it's one thing that Howe is really good at. His ability to block leads and cover space will be a huge asset for our defense, and it's something that we've craved for quite a while. Obviously his inability to shut down dangerous opposition and perceived lack of scope for improvement is a concern, but this late in the draft you take the good with the bad and Howe has enough good to get by. Other players I considered were Jesse Watchman, Nathan Drummond, Oscar McDonald, Brenton Payne and Hugh Beasley.

The wrap: My major aim heading into the draft wasn't necessarily to fill holes or target needs; I went in looking for the players I deemed best available with a bias towards height when in doubt (that is, when two players were deemed minimally separated in terms of ability). While I didn't want to go in looking distinctly for height, the Dogs really do need to add some, hence the bias. My real focus was on versatility, as it's something I see as being invaluable at AFL level. I'm reasonably happy with the outcome and think I added a bit of height, filled a few roles for us, and also injected some real versatility into the squad with five players that can play in multiple positions. More specifically, I added some tall support up forward in Hayes and McKenzie, some speed and skill through the back half and on the wings in Menadue and Laverde, and some aerial team support in the back half with Howe. My only real disappointment was being unable to take a genuine key position defensive prospect but the way the draft fell I was just unable to make it happen without reaching too much. In an ideal world Durdin would have been available at my first pick but unfortunately it didn't happen that way. Overall, though, I'm happy with how it went and would be content should this happen in the real thing.

A very rough potential future line-up off the top of my head:
Picken Roughead Wood
Howe Talia Laverde

Bontempelli Liberatore Macrae

Smith Hayes Crameri
Jones McKenzie Dahlhaus

Campbell Griffen Wallis

Hunter Hrovat Stringer
Menadue

EMG: Johannisen Hunter Roberts

Clearly the back line is still the weak spot and more will need to be done to bolster that, but the lineup itself looks more potent and balanced.

I am not big into judging who did well and who didnt as we really dont know the answer for some time but I reckon this was a pretty handy one. Assumes McKenzie is a player and I'm still a bit keen to see him test but I dont think Menadue will last that long

I have slotted you in for North Melbourne when we do the actual Phantom in October / November.

Thanks Yoda_

would be happy to, although If Yoda_ does indeed end up backing out i'd probably be better suited to doing Essendon, considering I know our list a bit better.

But either or, i'm not too fussed

I think the trial draft was fun, in part reasonably accurate but what I may comment on is Adelaide have the shortest list of all 18 side's, so in the real world I would think it unlikely they will look at anyone under the 6ft mark.

SA - have some supremely talented under 18,s but Crows need running versatile height I would think in their next intake.

Not a bad crop at all. Heeney is looking very good and I really rate Daniel. He could be the bargain of the draft.
Daniel easy top 10 on talent, maybe top 5. Glenn just about the best overager available, Lonie one of the better small forwards and Cameron the best young ruck in the state leagues, would love a draft like this!

Aidan Anderson - 182 cm 83 kg - Swan Districts

Anderson is super exciting and the best small forward in the draft. While he is classified as a small forward, he does more than your average small, holding his own in one-on-one contests, working hard up the ground and of course kicking those opportunistic goals that are expected from quality smalls.

Anderson is strong bodied and used to playing senior footy, having played 12 games for Swan Districts this year. He has strong legs and a big bum that allows him to block his opponent and shield him from the ball. It also helps him to be a powerful athlete, accelerating hard away from the contest with an explosive first two steps. Despite having this initial acceleration he is not overly quick however he takes the game on and loves to run so he doesn't tend to get caught unless he tries to do too much, which can be the case. Anderson has a habit of biting off more than he can chew and running 5m too far, or trying one dummy too many which can get him into trouble but I like that he is taking the game on because that sort of thing is hard to teach.

His ability to get up and go again is really impressive. Anderson is always in the contest because he springs straight back up and goes again time after time. His work rate is great and it isn't uncommon to see him up around the wings before turning his opponent and running back into the space. He is really quick from hand to foot and this allows him to get rid of the ball quickly, which is especially useful for those quick shots at goal but around the ground his kicking looks a little shaky because he doesn't seem to take enough care with his ball drop.

Anderson is a different type of player to the small forwards Richmond have and I'd argue that he is ready to step right in and play. I rate him better than Lloyd, Lennon, Edwards etc and see him as a really good fit for the Tigers. Jack Lonie was also considered here but I felt that Anderson would be a better player in the long run and I prefer players who have senior experience.
Great pick. Agree he is very different to our other small forwards and would make an excellent fit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mills 40 touches in the NEAFL this week? Ridiculous stuff from a bottom ager.

Yup, from all accounts I have heard he was immense. Dunkley for Gippsland had 27 touches, 2 goals, 5 marks and 8 tackles. Even if we had to use our first 6 picks think we would do it for those 2

Where would you put Ben Keays next year

I'll rank 'em all just to cover any subsequent questions.

Of course it's all very volatile atm as there's so much water to go under the bridge both in terms of development and exposed performance. This is only my opinion too, based off in general rather minimal footage.

A: Mills, Mathieson & Parish
A-: Keays, O'Kearney, Burton, Dunkley & Tucker
B+: Schache, Partington, Tahana, Weitering, Skinner, Clark
B: Stewart, Bennett, Francis, Collins, Olekalns, Ah Chee, Cole
B-: Dodge, Sushames, Hopper, Mosley, Wagner, Eades, Weideman

Unknowns (either through developmental ?s or not having seen them enough) at this stage: Sullivan, Parella, Snelling, Della Franca, Atkins, Parsons, Dennis, McDonald, Nyoun, Balic, Nunn, Dew, Beioley, Agius, Haysman

Really interested to hear some thoughts on my draft from both Dogs supporters and the other draft watchers. I'm reasonably happy with it and think that, while some risks were taken, I don't believe I've made any major reaches and have succeeded in identifying players that clearly have something to offer the Dogs.

Pick #6: Jayden Laverde
While I acknowledge that some see this as being too early for Jayden - for totally understandable reasons - I really like him as a player and see the propensity for him to work on his weaknesses and allow him to develop into a fantastic footballer. At this point it's probably more an aptitude rather than ability pick, but I've seen enough of him in terms of exposed performance to have faith in his development and believe that he'll do pick 6 proud. In the long term, he adds size, speed and skill to the Bulldogs midfield and in the short term provides some real rebound from the back half. Playing alongside the likes of Libba, Wallis, Griffen and Boyd/Smith will see them doing the majority of the grunt work on the inside and allow him to play to his strengths and be a really dangerous option on the wing, and hopefully develop the ability to at least pinch-hit on-ball in the future. Jake Lever was the other player seriously considered at this pick and while I do really like him, am a little put off by having not seen him in about a year.

Pick #24: Reece McKenzie
Opinions on McKenzie differ considerably and he's one that is exceptionally difficult to place. The first thing I will say is that his big games are not what has won me over on Reece; instead, I see them as support for my opinions. While they were against weak opposition, I really like his scope for improvement and would expect him to have those hauls at this stage. His marking, combined with his size and smarts will make him a formidable key target, in my opinion, and is one of very few genuine number 1 talls in this draft - and that's exactly what the Dogs need. He adds physicality, contested marking ability and the propensity to develop into the type of player that can draw large quantities of the ball and really impact the scoreboard. Tyler Keitel, Clem Smith, Liam Dawson, Ed Vickers-Willis and Sean McLaren were amongst a multitude of options considered at this pick.

Pick #42: Jack Hayes
As I said in the write-up, I don't believe Hayes is getting the attention he probably deserves. Prior to this year he was considered a top twenty pick by quite a few people - and all that's really changed is a move to the back-line, where he showed very decent ability to shut down his man. He hasn't lost any of the ability that saw him impress a lot of people up forward, and instead has just added versatility to his game through a forced positional change. In my opinion he would work really well in tandem with McKenzie, offering the tackling support and work up the ground that McKenzie isn't fantastic with. In addition, he adds further marking and goal-kicking ability, as well as more size to the Bulldogs forward line. Connor Menadue, Jack Steele, Brayden Maynard and Kyle Langford were all considered here.

Pick #60: Connor Menadue

As mentioned previously, Menadue was heavily considered at my previous pick but instead opted to go with the height and goal-kicking ability of Hayes. I was really, really happy to have him slide to my next pick and see him as a player with a lot to work with, who also offers a lot of what the 'Dogs lack as a side: speed. Once he bulks up I can see him offering some real run and carry off a wing, something the Dogs have been crying out for for a long time. His distribution forward will also be much loved by the forwards, who cop the raw end of the deal at times with the delivery sub-par and slow. Other players considered at this pick included Jason Castagna, Zaine Cordy, Declan Hamilton and Mitch McGovern.

Pick #78: Dan Howe (write-up done btw)
I really like the fit for Howe at the Dogs; we really need that aerial support in defense, and it's one thing that Howe is really good at. His ability to block leads and cover space will be a huge asset for our defense, and it's something that we've craved for quite a while. Obviously his inability to shut down dangerous opposition and perceived lack of scope for improvement is a concern, but this late in the draft you take the good with the bad and Howe has enough good to get by. Other players I considered were Jesse Watchman, Nathan Drummond, Oscar McDonald, Brenton Payne and Hugh Beasley.

The wrap: My major aim heading into the draft wasn't necessarily to fill holes or target needs; I went in looking for the players I deemed best available with a bias towards height when in doubt (that is, when two players were deemed minimally separated in terms of ability). While I didn't want to go in looking distinctly for height, the Dogs really do need to add some, hence the bias. My real focus was on versatility, as it's something I see as being invaluable at AFL level. I'm reasonably happy with the outcome and think I added a bit of height, filled a few roles for us, and also injected some real versatility into the squad with five players that can play in multiple positions. More specifically, I added some tall support up forward in Hayes and McKenzie, some speed and skill through the back half and on the wings in Menadue and Laverde, and some aerial team support in the back half with Howe. My only real disappointment was being unable to take a genuine key position defensive prospect but the way the draft fell I was just unable to make it happen without reaching too much. In an ideal world Durdin would have been available at my first pick but unfortunately it didn't happen that way. Overall, though, I'm happy with how it went and would be content should this happen in the real thing.

A very rough potential future line-up off the top of my head:
Picken Roughead Wood
Howe Talia Laverde

Bontempelli Liberatore Macrae

Smith Hayes Crameri
Jones McKenzie Dahlhaus

Campbell Griffen Wallis

Hunter Hrovat Stringer
Menadue

EMG: Johannisen Hunter Roberts

Clearly the back line is still the weak spot and more will need to be done to bolster that, but the lineup itself looks more potent and balanced.
Doubt you will get McKenzie as Carlton have the pick before you when you beat the giants, he is also FS prospect.

Might have some Vic bias but I would slot Parsons in the B+ category, elevate Stewart and include Liam Jeffs somewhere. Balic is still the hardest to rate.

Doubt you will get McKenzie as Carlton have the pick before you when you beat the giants, he is also FS prospect.
I wouldn't be so sure. But he won't be at our second, regardless.

McKenzie isn't a father/son. As for not getting him, he was there at my pick, so I picked him. Not making a statement on whether or not he'll be available at that pick in the real thing. I don't think he goes that early regardless (to Carlton or the Dogs, mind you).

Of course it's all very volatile atm as there's so much water to go under the bridge both in terms of development and exposed performance. This is only my opinion too, based off in general rather minimal footage.

Unknowns (either through developmental ?s or not having seen them enough) at this stage: Sullivan, Parella, Snelling, Della Franca, Atkins, Parsons, Dennis, McDonald, Nyoun, Balic, Nunn, Dew, Beioley, Agius, Haysman
Ah chee will be in the A+ category soon enough

What do you know about Theo Thompson been playing games for Dragons as a bottom Agee when avaiable also only bottom anger named in their leadership group this year.

What do you know about Theo Thompson been playing games for Dragons as a bottom Agee when avaiable also only bottom anger named in their leadership group this year.

Yeah look I'm South Australian based so when we're talking about bottom aged players I've only really been exposed to guys I've seen on game tapes, in the champs or in the weekend or two I spend in Vic each year and later on the AIS program. That's a name I haven't heard much of but that's through my lack of exposure not anything to do with him.

Someone based in Victoria who gets more TAC Cup exposure might be better equipped to answer that one for you. Knightmare, Rahul & SCPaige perhaps the best bets.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back