Bill Shorten - how long?

Remove this Banner Ad

I take the opposite view, good to see that the Thiess man is also in the gun also Maggie5

But Jeremy Stoljar has recommended Dyson Heydon find that Mr Shorten's successor as the AWU's Victorian branch secretary, Cesar Melhem, might have committed offences under the Crimes Act by soliciting ''corrupt commissions'' from the company Cleanevent.

He also found that Mr Melhem, now a Victorian Labor MP, and former Thiess John Holland executive Julian Rzesniowiecki might have committed offences under the Crimes Act over the creation of false invoices relating to payments made to the union over three years.

Read more: http://www.afr.com/news/policy/indu...ions-top-lawyer-20151106-gkt2zj#ixzz3qkxe49zT
Follow us: @FinancialReview on Twitter | financialreview on Facebook

Doesn't matter.
The whole point of this was to fling mud.
Shorten, Gillard et al were portrayed as guilty as soon as the commission was started (Gillard) and as soon as Shorten became opposition leader.

Guilty = Guilty
Not guilty = Guilty.

There was only one outcome from this, no matter the findings, and that's why so much money and media attention was put into it.

How this kind of despot bullshit can be happening in our Australia, is beyond me.

I take the opposite view, good to see that the Thiess man is also in the gun also Maggie5
Happy to see all corruption identified and prosecuted whether it be big business or union officials.
Too many get away with it.

Re Shorten, mud will stick irrespective of RC statement. Mission accomplished...

The media places itself as a medium and not a facilitator of fact and opinion but those who stand to benefit or suffer as a result of the report tend to get the blame.

Does the media have a responsibility to protect stupid consumers from their own assumptions? The idea of mud sticking is because consumers of media aren't cynically thinking enough, does that mean the media need to change or does something need to be done about the consumer?

The mud should stick. Bills mate the dog whisperer is facing charges and a raft of paperwork was conveniently 'lost'. No doubt the RC was politically motivated but its a good thing that the spotlight is being shone on criminal and/or unethical activity. I would be quite happy if Albo starts a RC on political donations or business tax avoidance etc when hes PM

The media places itself as a medium and not a facilitator of fact and opinion but those who stand to benefit or suffer as a result of the report tend to get the blame.

Does the media have a responsibility to protect stupid consumers from their own assumptions? The idea of mud sticking is because consumers of media aren't cynically thinking enough, does that mean the media need to change or does something need to be done about the consumer?
Not in this case though as the RC was available to listen and see live.
The public will view it and form an opinion based on it's own political bias, the media does help though, especially if the public only reads the Murdoch press.

When Labor eventually gets back in, (who knows when), I can't help but wonder what their political tit-for-tat payback will be?

This will not be forgotten, nor forgiven, lightly by them.

Meanwhile, the RC which really counts, into the systematic abuse of children, gets pushed onto the backburner.

Disgraceful.

Your cool with using the judiciary to advance in a political end?
This is going to sound a bit weak.

The unions exert significant political influence, the courts are supposed to keep the legislative and executive arms in line (mostly high court).

With so many lives, intentional emotive language, under the influence of unions arranging their workplace conditions it is in the public interest but due to the political influence of that group there is a giant wall in the way of changes.

I would actually like to see the ad campaign the unions will run against the Coalition if they try and enforce an equal standard, it would be nothing to do with the issue - it will cost jobs etc and based on the idea that: "you couldn't trust them on workchoices, you can't trust them now, don't ask any more questions about it"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The mud should stick. Bills mate the dog whisperer is facing charges and a raft of paperwork was conveniently 'lost'. No doubt the RC was politically motivated but its a good thing that the spotlight is being shone on criminal and/or unethical activity. I would be quite happy if Albo starts a RC on political donations or business tax avoidance etc when hes PM

I agree. Corruption in our government goes against the public interest and should be investigated at every level, blind to the separations of left and right and centrist politics. I have a political 'soft spot' for the Greens, but if they were acting corruptly I'd expect them to cop a legalistic whack for it.

The Age is getting stuck into Bill for it.

Put simply, branch-stacking is fraud on the broader membership and, ultimately, on the people who would support the left spectrum of politics. It is a device designed to deceive every other member of the party.

Mr Shorten is making only a pretence of cleaning this up. His platitudes calling for tough action against branch stackers ring hollow. Instead of ensuring Labor in Victoria is washed clean from top to bottom, and instead of commissioning an independent inquiry into it, he has implicitly sanctioned an investigative committee that amounts to an inside job.

To be clear, it is Mr Shorten's Right faction that has been shown to be behind much of the branch-stacking and corrupt conduct, and he seems unwilling or incapable of facing up to it. His failure to do underscores the lacklustre nature of his leadership to date and his patent aversion to reforming the Labor Party generally.

The Age has long called for Labor to democratise and to purge itself of the disproportionate influence brandished by unions and factional chiefs in its policy-making and preselection structures. We say to Mr Shorten, as of now you are failing on several counts. It is entirely within your power to demand an independent inquiry into Labor's internal practices, and you should do so now. So far, you have demonstrated a tendency to wimp out.​

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/comment/th...abor-party-20151106-gksw1p.html#ixzz3qx11ZABe

Every party has issues with branch stacking and pre-selection. Not solely the domain of Labor.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...581882289?sv=4b9d274cfd432c5fbad2741e4db58fa9

"Only three candidates, including Mr Zimmerman and John Hart, the chief executive of Restaurant and Catering Australia, have nominated, which party sources said was evidence of a “stitch up”."

"Another Liberal source denied there had been any favourable treatment given to Mr Zimmerman in the pre-selection."

When Labor eventually gets back in, (who knows when), I can't help but wonder what their political tit-for-tat payback will be?

This will not be forgotten, nor forgiven, lightly by them.

Meanwhile, the RC which really counts, into the systematic abuse of children, gets pushed onto the backburner.

Disgraceful.
That is true, but I seriously doubt whether a RC would actually expose the Pollies who have been involved in the past. I believe that some people are untouchable.

That is true, but I seriously doubt whether a RC would actually expose the Pollies who have been involved in the past. I believe that some people are untouchable.
Interesting choice of word given the allegations being put forward :p

Biggest name in the above will take the stand later this week.

No less than Howard appointed Governor-General Archbishop Peter Hollingsworth. That RC is about to majorly heat up (though I suspect he did no wrong, just assisted one who did).

Your cool with using the judiciary to advance in a political end?

if the unions didn't engage in criminal activity such as violence, racketeering, misappropriation of funds, stand over tactics etc etc we wouldn't need a royal commission.

perhaps their tactic of destroying evidence also brings to light why a RC was needed. Not to mention why do the state police not act more often??????????? perhaps it has something to do with Labor governments?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back