Bill Shorten - how long?

Remove this Banner Ad

when will Bill and Labor have the confidence to clean up their political party and cut ties with the unions

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2015/10/30/15/26/charges-laid-against-cfmeu-officials
Never. Just as the Libs will never cut ties with big business.

Think it's only the ratbag right who are taking the Commission as anything but an expensive political show trial.

As for dodgy operators, look no further than the corporate thieves in big business - and small to for that matter.

Never. Just as the Libs will never cut ties with big business.

Think it's only the ratbag right who are taking the Commission as anything but an expensive political show trial.

As for dodgy operators, look no further than the corporate thieves in big business - and small to for that matter.

strange comment

labor and unions are pro regulation which favours large business. they do this for the simple reason unions require the centralisation of workers and lower wages to have a purpose.

So regulation is good for big business?

yes

regulation cost $ in compliance and implementation. it also forms a massive barrier to entry thus reducing competition.

its great if you are established or a big business

Oh ok.

I thought you complained about how bad the regulations that Labor bought in were for big business. Mining etc.

Misunderstanding?

again no

the mining tax favoured the majors and favoured foreign companies

A year ago I would have laughed at the idea of ALA even getting up... but looking at the fear campaigns and the attitudes of some people... I'm starting to become concerned...

Me too. All of a sudden anyone who wants to give moderate Muslims a fair go is a terrorist sympathiser? We automatically want the harshest version of Sharia Law just because we don't lump the moderates in with the hardline Islamists?

These kinds of hate campaigns, by the ALA as well as their counterparts in Islamic State, feed off of fear and ignorance.

I'd like to see Bill Shorten take a stand against this kind of s**t. I'd like to see him fight ignorance and fight for the return of a 'Fair Go Australia' that isn't just a Party sound byte that gets forgotten three days later.

I'd like to see anyone take a stand against this kind of s**t.

Me too. All of a sudden anyone who wants to give moderate Muslims a fair go is a terrorist sympathiser? We automatically want the harshest version of Sharia Law just because we don't lump the moderates in with the hardline Islamists?

These kinds of hate campaigns, by the ALA as well as their counterparts in Islamic State, feed off of fear and ignorance.

I'd like to see Bill Shorten take a stand against this kind of s**t. I'd like to see him fight ignorance and fight for the return of a 'Fair Go Australia' that isn't just a Party sound byte that gets forgotten three days later.

I'd like to see anyone take a stand against this kind of s**t.
I don't understand the attitude that seems to be taking over at the moment...

If you voice a concern about global warming, you're a green supporting nutter... But we should be open minded to Geert Wilders.

The only way to combat it, is an educated population.
Best thing a country can ever do is ensure a healthy and educated population.

Instead health and education are looked down on. Teachers are useless... doctors are paid too much... how dare we try and get rid of cigarettes...

There was more outrage over the NBN, then there is over the FTA.
So many people hated the ALP and wanted to scrap the NBN because we were so scared of debt. But now the concern is gone... now we want to spend more on planes, because the scary Muslims and Asylum seekers are under our beds.

/ garbled unload.

Fear is a great motivator. Advertisers know it;

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-main-ingredient/200909/the-most-powerful-motivator

Marketers use fear as a motivator as often as they can. They present a scenario they hope will invoke our sense of fear. Then they show us a solution – a path back to our comfort zone – that entails using their product or service. Fear is used to sell virtually everything: cars, tires, and life insurance are classics. But, clever marketers also use it to sell breakfast cereal and deodorant. As a result we purchase all sorts of things that a generation ago were considered unnecessary: antibacterial soap, alarm systems, vitamins...

Of course, doubt is NOT a motivator. Movements like the ALA and Islamic State need fear to expand and they need ignorance to expand into, but they also need to erase doubt while doing so. They need to take away your questions yet they need to make you sure that they are in the right.

It's a grotesque symbiotic relationship - both sides feed off the ill-informed fence-sitters, knowing that each hardline reaction will only prove the others' point and further sway the masses.

We need something stronger than fear to counter their bullshit. Something that isn't negative and exclusionary.

Fear is a great motivator. Advertisers know it;

Of course, doubt is NOT a motivator. Movements like the ALA and Islamic State need fear to expand and they need ignorance to expand into, but they also need to erase doubt while doing so. They need to take away your questions yet they need to make you sure that they are in the right.

It's a grotesque symbiotic relationship - both sides feed off the ill-informed fence-sitters, knowing that each hardline reaction will only prove the others' point and further sway the masses.

We need something stronger than fear to counter their bullshit. Something that isn't negative and exclusionary.
Exactly.

But what?

It seems that the sensible middle ground is becoming a barren desert, with each side pushing the other to more extreme positions.

And the doubt thing. Again spot on.
I mean, you can systematically show someone how sharia law will never be a part of Australia. But they still know that it might one day, if we let too many of those muzzos in.

I mean, I was reading the other day about the senator who wants to relax our gun laws and make guns more readily available...

Why is Australia working so hard, to take on all the worst aspects of the rest of the world?

Who holds the strings?

Vladimir Putin... Is he a good guy or a bad guy. There is no in between anymore.
Putin vs McCain.
No one cares about the intricacies, context and vast situation differences... it's just now you either support Putin or McCain...

Sorry, ranting again. Love your posts!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How difficult is it to maintain respect even while being critical? Do you think its impossible?

Sicko, what makes you think everyone/thing is worthy of respect? They most clearly are not.

Take for instance the Turkish failure to recognise what happened to the Armenians. Extraordinarily shoddy and they cut up VERY rough when its mentioned.

Just as many Jews do when its pointed out that in all likelihood the majority of holocaust victims were NOT Jewish.

Even simpler take the most boring internet argument known to man - Palestine/Israel

A huge amount (if not the overwhelming majority) of comment by either side is offensive and would be in breach of the Act (well depending on how you decide ethnicity etc)

Should Australian courts take in interest in that? I do not think so.

What is the total amount ($) that has been awarded to the victims after findings from the RDA?...

Since the law was enacted.

Ah so the legislation doesn't matter as long as fines are small. FFS. That's how it starts

What was the rate of income tax when it was first introduced?

My word you really are having a train wreck of a thread.

I'd like to see Bill Shorten take a stand against this kind of s**t.

What do you mean? You want free speech even further curtailed? Seriously?

Last edited:
Ah so the legislation doesn't matter as long as fines are small. FFS. That's how it starts

What was the rate of income tax when it was first introduced?

My word you really are having a train wreck of a thread.
As usual, revisionist history.

Considering I quoted what I was replying to, I'm 'amazed' you missed it. :rolleyes:

you only sue people with deep pockets or where you want to shut something up for strategic reasons
What is the total amount ($) that has been awarded to the victims after findings from the RDA?...

Since the law was enacted.

As for your "word", it's nothing.
People look at you the same way that look at gurujane.

strange comment

labor and unions are pro regulation which favours large business. they do this for the simple reason unions require the centralisation of workers and lower wages to have a purpose.
Read the history of the Australian Labor Party then get back to me.

Sicko, what makes you think everyone/thing is worthy of respect? They most clearly are not.

Okay, respect until it is most clearly not warranted. I don't respect those who carried out the Armenian Genocide nor the Holocaust. If I was writing about it however, I would criticise what actually occurred, not invent facts to criticise the Ottoman Turks or the German Nazis. It only takes away from any valid points I'd otherwise have.

Do you get this?

What do you mean? You want free speech even further curtailed? Seriously?

No, I don't want free speech curtailed. I want the fog of ignorance that feeds extremism (religious fundamentalist, Racist Right, etc) to be lifted, that's all.

People are scared that their kids are being 'radicalised' online, aren't they? But isn't the radicalisation process involving the use of free speech? Until the kid involved becomes indoctrinated to the point of becoming a suicide bomber or a lone wolf gunman that shoots up a police station, is the 'indoctrination process' at that stage simply Thought Crime?

I fully acknowledge its a slippery slope, but what are your thoughts as to the recruiting tactics of radical Islamists through social media, Meds?

not surprising, the youngins tend to be more progressive and therefore more aligned with the left
basic power grab, same as the shifting of electoral boundaries that happens

Blatant branch stacking.
If Billy Boy Shorten can’t impress the adults. So now he wants to let children vote.

The Labor leader’s declaration that he wants to now let 16 and 17-year-olds vote.

So they aren't old enough to be trusted with alcohol, but they are ready to decide the policies of the nation?

Blatant branch stacking. This will probably fly under the radar, but it's pretty evil.

And that's coming from a lefty.

I seriously don't know why you and others go on and on about 18C, yet there is no comment when from any of you an article like this appears:

That is in no way comparable at all. It is commonplace for those working under contracts not to be able to criticise their employers. See how much the AFL likes coaches or players criticising it/umpires etc. Totally different subject to freedom of speech by individuals.

"during negotiations over contracts relating to work caring for asylum seekers and refugees"

I fully acknowledge its a slippery slope, but what are your thoughts as to the recruiting tactics of radical Islamists through social media, Meds?

a) I dont think you can stop it
b) unintended consequences are loss of freedom for everyone else re govt internet surveillance (not to mention other things such as the disgraceful extradition treaties to the US requiring stuff all evidence)

I dont know how people can be simultaneously against web filtering and in favour of 18c. It is completely illogical, however, given its SRP hardly surprising.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back