Booing of Adam Goodes (revisited after our Apology Ceremony)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
(I agree re: Eddie, he does have to watch his tongue at times)... but, on the channel 7 telecast, Bruce, Commetti and Lingy were all saying the same thing... I think commetti almost said that exact same thing ("bad look") and their overall discussion was that - look it is clearly important to Goodes, and he is allowed to celebrate a goal, and that looked very planned (whether that's good or bad is up to the individual), but you need to think about what you're doing out there, and that he probably shouldn't have been done in front of the opposition fans. In fact Commetti also said something like "well thats definately not gonna stop the boos".

That pretty much sums up my view as well.
Can't fault Goodes for having that sort of passion, but that celebration was done to do nothing but incite the opposition fans. You can't do that and then also complain about booing.

Just to clarify, I thought Ling was Ok with it. Immediately after it happened he defended Goodes' right to celebrate the goal however he saw fit. He may have changed his view later, on reflection. I may have missed that.

Goodes just said that the celebration was not in response to anything the Carlton supporters said. Whilst I loved the celebration I will concede that he should have probably done it in front of his own fans. Not really fair to do it to the Carlton supporters.

Goodes just said that the celebration was not in response to anything the Carlton supporters said. Whilst I loved the celebration I will concede that he should have probably done it in front of his own fans. Not really fair to do it to the Carlton supporters.
Yep I agree

So going by what Goodes said to Richo it was a "look at me......look at me" moment all good then!

Now I know why he gets booed!

I understand that, but that is why he gets booed. irrespective of his cultural interpretation or reason for doing so he was inciting the crowd. I found the way he intimidated a 14 year old girl in the crowd last time irresponsible. If he doesn't modify his behaviour on field we could very well have a situation where the crowd will be incited towards violence, and we will be left with the legacy of watching a game through wire fences. This latest episode was not just a verbal to the crowd it was threatening violence, in an obviously heated and emotional a way. this was not a pre-game dance, this was an emotional outburst. the inability of Goodes to control his emotions on the field toward the crowd threatens the freedom we have enjoyed in watching a physical combative game from the side lines.

As Adam just clarified, it was an expression of culture rather than a provocation. If anyone in the crowd is so easily excited to violence they'd be better going to the soccer.

The real shame is that the media will use it in the wrong way and the true meaning will be lost.

Hey Jamc70 as they say timing is everything.

Just don't know if Goodesy's message was timed that well tonight!

Hey Jamc70 as they say timing is everything.

Just don't know if Goodesy's message was timed that well tonight!

Timing was probably off but I am glad he did it all the same. I desperately want true recognition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Timing was probably off but I am glad he did it all the same. I desperately want true recognition.

Fair call Jmac70.......don't agree it was the stage for it......but fair call all the same!

He played the race card when there was no need to. People think he is a dick (I can see why) and in a situation where there was no need to inflame the race argument he decided to do it.
I am all for people demanding equality and bringing attention to their problems or struggles. But what he did today was play the race card when there was no need to. The booing towards him has nothing to do with race but he is trying to turn it into a race issue.

By all means do a dance if you want. Show pride in your race or your culture. But he was not celebrating his culture. He was purposely trying to be antagonistic and was trying to gain some racial political points where there was no need to do so.

He was causing the racial tension. Carlton fans as far as I know were not yelling out racist taunts. Like many fans they dislike him and boo him. Goodes for his own egotistical reasons is trying to turn peoples dislike of him into a racial issue

Like I said in another thread, I wish we could regularly boo Rompingwins(Hamish). Absolute flog of a bloke.

I know you believe that bringing the issue into debate is always positive. But on a purely political level, do you think the people at 'Recognise' would feel this was a positive action for their campaign? I have my doubts.

I know you believe that bringing the issue into debate is always positive. But on a purely political level, do you think the people at 'Recognise' would feel this was a positive action for their campaign? I have my doubts.

I think they will be pretty happy with it.

For those that think this about race, why then weren't Yarran, Walker, Jettta or Buddy booed?

Apparently because we only like black people if they act they way we tell them.

As Adam just clarified, it was an expression of culture rather than a provocation. If anyone in the crowd is so easily excited to violence they'd be better going to the soccer.
Snag, I disagree, Goodes explanation was false, I reckon it was diplomatically created after the event, because either Goodes himself or someone else at the Swans immediately realized the implications of the display. Look at Goodes face...he was waiting for an opportunity to confront his booers, and rightly so, but using the method he did on indigenous round was a mistake.
I really look forward to an indigenous round which actually achieves what it exists for to celebrate the fantastic skills the player bring to our great game.

He should have just given them the finger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back