Booing of Adam Goodes (revisited after our Apology Ceremony)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you'll boo them, how is anyone going to tell what your boo means and how anti -racist it is?

Maybe Goodes had taken some time off to reflect on the atrocities his people have committed?

Wait for it

Remember he's half Brit.

This is a really poor comment and demonstrates your ignorance of people who identify with being Aboriginal.

Adam Goodes' father is British and he's married a blonde haired white woman. Goodes is a jerk off of the highest order and should be booed until the day he retires. He's a 34 year old baby. Had he "owned" this situation or simply not acknowledged it, it would have gone away by now. His continual recognition of and reaction to it all is only making it worse.

It's not illegal to boo a player. It's not even racist to boo a player, regardless of their skin colour. Booing is not words. There are no racial slurs being spoken here. Booing has happened in football for as long as football has existed. Goodes knows this, the AFL knows this. They're just hoping it stops on it's own but they don't realist that the more they talk about it, the worse it will get.

Irrelevent.

Anyone see Hutchy take the moral high ground on Fc he said he thinks that we are racists

Of course we are. It's far easier to brand a faceless mob of people racist than it is to admit that the Australian of the Year isn't a likeable person and should never have been given the award.

Because you know, ALL aboriginal, asian and european/ethnic football players get booed right? Because you know...we're all a bunch of big dirty racists?

I know plenty of 8 year olds who have a greater understanding of Aboriginal history, and empathy for the issues facing Aboriginal people than half of the posters in this thread. I suppose I should be happy that there is hope for the future because there is little hope of changing the entrenched views of adults.

I know plenty of 8 year olds who have a greater understanding of Aboriginal history, and empathy for the issues facing Aboriginal people than half of the posters in this thread. I suppose I should be happy that there is hope for the future because there is little hope of changing the entrenched views of adults.

All of this is true. Unfortunately, you're barking up the wrong tree because the booing of Adam Goodes has zero to do with the plight of Aboriginals in Australia.

Can I ask you a question that MAY appear unrelated but is actually at the core of how all this s**t started? Does an albino Gorilla look any less like a gorilla than a non-albino one?

Whether it is racially motivated or not it is bullying and Goodes hasn't done anything to deserve this kind of bullying.

Milne bloody (allegedly) raped someone and didn't cop this. Essendon and Hird cheated and embarrassed the whole sport and that only lasted a few weeks.

I no longer understand why this is happening, and can understand why people may believe it is racially motivated.

He is a great player and this is bad for the sport.

The whole war dance thing is silly, he did it in indigenous round for god sake. He didn't do it to "be aggressive" to Carlton fans... He was simply celebrating his heritage in a round designed to celebrate his heritage.

People need to just stop. Boo him when he dives, boo him when he kicks a goal from that free kick. But the football public as a whole just need to stop.

Let's stop investigating and simply stop booing goodes for no reason. Problem solved.

And this is the only way these issues can be fixed.

I see this as a generational educational makeover that's needed. Trying to change racial vilification, perceived or not overnight is short sighted and ignorant and never going to work. Like saying we can fix slavery with buckets of cash the next day in many countries which is deeply offending to those long term campaigners (spelt correctly) that are trying to educate over generations to fix the problem. If tolerance and understanding is starting with the kids, and as you say they have a better understanding and empathy on topics like this, than change will come however slow, we need to be patient.

We live in a world that thrives on mob mentality and a generation that is more interested in doing the exact opposite to what authoritative bodies are trying to get across which just compounds the way this has been poorly handled by Adam, his club, the AFL and more importantly the media. I feel the media has created the exact scenario they wanted yet once again will accept none of the responsibility.

It's just disappointing to see that a game that can and has bridged the gap between indigenous and non indigenous Australians so quickly undone and all that good work seemingly gone overnight.

There is not one party to blame in all this and shows just how ignorant, naive and the lack of understanding of all parties involved from supporters, the media and the AFL have.

I'm confused, I've no idea how we got to this and whilst I don't consider myself racist I somehow now feel racist because I don't like Adam Goodes.

I am dreading our game against Sydney because I have no doubt that some of our supporters will boo Goodes and bring shame on the club. Our coach has publicly stated his view that it is racially motivated. The club must back up Bucks and do everything possible to discourage the behaviour. I would like to see a joint campaign with the Swans in the week leading up to the game. I would even support the possibility of sanctions for supporters who continue with the practice.

All of this is true. Unfortunately, you're barking up the wrong tree because the booing of Adam Goodes has zero to do with the plight of Aboriginals in Australia.

Can I ask you a question that MAY appear unrelated but is actually at the core of how all this s**t started? Does an albino Gorilla look any less like a gorilla than a non-albino one?

I have no idea what the point of your question is.

I am dreading our game against Sydney because I have no doubt that some of our supporters will boo Goodes and bring shame on the club. Our coach has publicly stated his view that it is racially motivated. The club must back up Bucks and do everything possible to discourage the behaviour. I would like to see a joint campaign with the Swans in the week leading up to the game. I would even support the possibility of sanctions for supporters who continue with the practice.
One of the issues is many people are simply brain dead.
Remember at the Tennis years ago when that alarm would sound when there was a fault? How many idiots thought it was funny to mimic that sound?

There is no doubt there is an element of racism in this by the hard core racists, but what happens is, the brain dead think its funny so they mimic the racists.

It is an absolute fact that 50% of the population have below average intelligence.
The booing of Goodes proves it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard something on the radio this morning which I found interesting.

Is this not simply a case of people booing the villain? When we were young we were all encouraged to boo the villain at plays and movies etc, is this simply not the case now where Adam Goodes has turned into the Villain in the public's eye and the poster boy of the AFL and indigenous Australia has taken offense and turned this into a race issue.

I heard something on the radio this morning which I found interesting.

Is this not simply a case of people booing the villain? When we were young we were all encouraged to boo the villain at plays and movies etc, is this simply not the case now where Adam Goodes has turned into the Villain in the public's eye and the poster boy of the AFL and indigenous Australia has taken offense and turned this into a race issue.
Do you honestly believe that there is nothing racist about this?

I honestly don't know what to think anymore?

I think it started of as a non racist issue but has quickly morphed into one. There's certainly the "villain" aspect but I have trouble seeing the racial aspect and I'll admit that it's probably more of a lack of understanding on my part which is sad because I've spent many years with and amongst indigenous Australians.

I've seen what I consider racism many times delivered fairly bluntly so maybe I've grown immune to the lower end of the scale and only associate overtly offensive language and the like with racism. Maybe I've grown naive to it and maybe the world has become oversensitive. I do know, and this isn't directed at anyone in particular in here, that there are a lot of people in this country that have not one understanding or interacted with Indigenous Australian's sitting in their high rise apartment blocks sipping lattes and banging drums and fueling fires.

I honestly don't know what to think anymore?

I think it started of as a non racist issue but has quickly morphed into one. There's certainly the "villain" aspect but I have trouble seeing the racial aspect and I'll admit that it's probably more of a lack of understanding on my part which is sad because I've spent many years with and amongst indigenous Australians.

I've seen what I consider racism many times delivered fairly bluntly so maybe I've grown immune to the lower end of the scale and only associate overtly offensive language and the like with racism. Maybe I've grown naive to it and maybe the world has become oversensitive. I do know, and this isn't directed at anyone in particular in here, that there are a lot of people in this country that have not one understanding or interacted with Indigenous Australian's sitting in their high rise apartment blocks sipping lattes and banging drums and fueling fires.
Other than your last point I understand what you are saying

As to your last point, anyone who has the ability to think is able to recognise when something is wrong/unjust/racist, it matters not whether they live in a high rise or a tent.

Adam Goodes' mother was a member of the stolen generation. She was taken from her family, separated from her own mother and father because she was Aboriginal. It was the ultimate act of racism.

She then went on to lead a good life, where she raised a good son, who excels at the sport we all love. But the majority of us have no way of fully understanding her childhood trauma, the stigma she has suffered, the obstacles she has overcome.

For those suggesting that Goodes is precious or a sook, and should just move on, why don't you walk a mile in his shoes?

Pretty shitty argument. "Most racists don't think they're racists".

So you are either a self proclaimed racist or not racist but due to you thinking you aren't racist you are in fact racist.o_O

Nathan Buckley used to get Booed fairly religiously too people must of thought he was black. Must be why the other 70 odd indigenous players get booed in the same manner oh wait...

The guy who told Adam Goodes to go back to the zoo doesn't think he's racist. But I guess you probably don't either.

"An Eagles fan, who was ejected from Sunday's game at Domain Stadium for an allegedly racist remark directed at Swans star Adam Goodes, says his comment was "off-the-cuff banter" and he was "humiliated" and spoken to like a criminal over the incident.

The man said his comment, "get back to the zoo", was aimed at general play, was not intended to be racist, and that his ejection was an overreaction.

He was one of two fans kicked out of Domain Stadium on Sunday, in accordance with the stadium's racial vilification policy - one in the first quarter and one in the second.

The supporter, who did not want to be named, told the West Australian that the world had gone "too politically correct"."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...mment-says-it-was-banter-20150728-gim3m7.html

Other than your last point I understand what you are saying

As to your last point, anyone who has the ability to think is able to recognise when something is wrong/unjust/racist, it matters not whether they live in a high rise or a tent.
I agree that it's wrong that it's unjust It's just that I'm not sure it's racist.

If Goodes is affected mentally, regardless of the undertones, it should stop. No one deserves to be put in that position and made to feel that way regardless of how you feel about them.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you walk down the main street of Katherine, Tennant Creek, Elliott, Turkey Creek, Fitzroy Crossing you're likely to see overt racism, and on both sides mind you. I don't know how many times I've been called a 'white campaigner' and with no exaggeration this is a weekly thing in places like this. Maybe my tolerances and empathy has waned over the years. But this is something that needs work on both sides of the fence.

Last edited:
I have no idea what the point of your question is.

All of this garbage started because Adam Goodes felt a 12 year old girl racially abused him no?

That is ultimately where this started and it has now blown out of all proportion. Adam Goodes believed a 12 year old girl hated him because of his skin colour as opposed to just believing that he actually resembled an ape.

So to all those who still actually believe this is all racially driven, does an albino gorilla look any less like a gorilla than a normal gorilla? In other words, is it possible that this 12 year old girl simply believe Adam Goodes looked like an ape? In the same way Brett Ratten looks like a chimp? Or Jason Dunstall is referred to as a gorilla?

No, there isn't.

That isn't to say ACTUAL racists aren't hiding under the umbrella the booing is creating, but that's irrelevant because racists/cowards will try to hide in any way they can and have been doing so for a long time.

What's pissing me off the most about all the bleeding hearts crying racism is that they seem to dodge the question of why no other aboriginal or even "non-anglo" players are being booed on a weekly basis?

Why was Jobe Watson being booed for weeks and weeks on end? Was it racist? No, it was because Jobe was seen as "bad" in the public eye over the drugs scandal. It's no different for Goodes. People just flat out don't like him. Will a percentage of the booers or people who don't like him have a racial agenda? Of course. But those people still hated Goodes because of his background long before this booing started. They're just adding their voice to a chorus of people who started booing Adam Goodes because they don't like him.

Are you suggesting:

a) It's not possible for someone to dislike Adam Goodes THE PERSON?
b) If you don't like an aboriginal person you are automatically a racist?
c) Bad/terrible/stupid/etc people don't exist in non-anglo communities?

If you answered yes to any of the above. I'm afraid you're most likely an idiot.

Thanks to Bucks for calling out the racism. "It's cowardly... They're cowards."

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2015-07-28/buckley-speaks-on-360

Buckley never said that this is completely driven by racist intentions. He suggested there was a racial element to it. That's all. That racial element is the actual racists hiding behind all the booing.

...he's an absolute flog of a bloke in my opinion. ...
Why do you say that?
This booing thing is a blight on Australians. It shows an unfairness of spirit that Australians used to be famous for. It didn't happen in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s. So now we're just a pack of bogans pretending we're tough? Plenty of blokes dive and complain for free kicks. e.g. Jack Reiwoldt, Boomer, Tom Hawkins, Stevie J.... but they're not booed. And it did begin a long time after that 13yo yob had a go at him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back