Mega Thread Buckley coaching mega thread volume II

Remove this Banner Ad

2011 was a bit unlucky. I wouldn't call it entirely MM fault given it was his coaching and gameplan that took us to a second straight grand final; but he really should of moved Ben Reid off Hawkins. With J-Pod going down, I still can't believe we lost the game.

That being said there is no doubt that we are better team under MM than Buckley. If MM wanted to continue in 2012, then I think he earned the opportunity to do so with the success he had in his last years of his contract. The succession plan should of been scrapped/changed and if it resulted in Buckley coaching elsewhere, then we had to let Buckley go. Obviously with Eddie's ego he wasn't going to let Buckley coach another club.

All organisations, including football clubs, need to renew over time. It was time for Malthouse to go.

In 2002 and 2003 Malthouse took us to Grandfinals but soon after we were getting a priority pick. It is just as likely that it would have occurred after 2011 as well. Why do people assume the opposite. If winning flags is all about the coach then one team with the very best would win every year. Surprisingly in the past ten years no team has won two in a row.

I do not believe we would have won in 2012 with MM in charge given the injuries we had that year. With the decline in Jolly, Didak, Ball, Johnson I also don't believe we would have won in 2013.

What I do believe is that the overhaul of the list has been far better under Buckley than what would have occurred under MM.

Buckley made some really bad decision this year but the worse is he isn't giving games to Armstrong

I half think that Eddie re-signed Buckley knowing that the flack would come and supporter resentment would build. They're probably thinking that they're in a development stage and will challenge in a few years. Despite that I don't think that Buckley offers much coaching prowess - perhaps list management and media. Collingwood should really be grabbing proven coaches, that's where our finacial might can be used to effect (as with grabbing Malty). Signing up a favourite son is just old school.

I half think that Eddie re-signed Buckley knowing that the flack would come and supporter resentment would build. They're probably thinking that they're in a development stage and will challenge in a few years. Despite that I don't think that Buckley offers much coaching prowess - perhaps list management and media. Collingwood should really be grabbing proven coaches, that's where our finacial might can be used to effect (as with grabbing Malty). Signing up a favourite son is just old school.

Do you realise that apart from Malthouse that all premierships won since 2004 have been by "unproven" first time coaches?

Williams
Roos
Worsfold
Thompson
Clarkson
Scott
Longmire
and for good measure add two GF appearances for Lyon (losing by a kick, twice) before he was poached and got his new team into a GF

Our previous premiership coach (Leigh Matthews) was also an unproven first time coach when we hired him

Last edited:
If the lynch mob get their way and Buckley goes (very unlikely), we go after Mark Williams. Loved him as a player and a coach.
Doesn't mean much anyway as Buckley will be around for a while yet.

Herotic! I would hate to see that traitor anywhere near our club.
Ah Dansa, the club was a mess when he took off. The board wouldn't put their hands in their pockets and pay a champ what he deserved. From the mid 60's to early 90's the board members were a bunch of dickheads. Cost us a couple of flags in that time. The decision not to go after Plugger was an absolute howler in the mid 90's.

Ah Dansa, the club was a mess when he took off. The board wouldn't put their hands in their pockets and pay a champ what he deserved. From the mid 60's to early 90's the board members were a bunch of dickheads. Cost us a couple of flags in that time. The decision not to go after Plugger was an absolute howler in the mid 90's.

Sure the board was a mess . But the club was broke ( due to the board) and couldn't afford to pay him more. I was only a kid at the time so Williams and Richarson leaving left a bitter taste. I've always been pleased the club has never welcomed him back. Hope the club and supporters treat Thomas in a similar way when his career comes to an end. I'm not the forgiving type I guess.

I think you're a little over the top on Choco mate. Do you hold Tuddy and Thommo in the same vein?

Sure the board was a mess . But the club was broke ( due to the board) and couldn't afford to pay him more. I was only a kid at the time so Williams and Richarson leaving left a bitter taste. I've always been pleased the club has never welcomed him back. Hope the club and supporters treat Thomas in a similar way when his career comes to an end. I'm not the forgiving type I guess.
He was the captain and one of the better players but he was about number 8 on the pay list. Matthews gave him until cup day to sign or get out. Daicos is pissed with what happened with Williams and said that he was absolutely shattered. Matthews wanted yes men and Williams wasn't one of them. Anyhow, we won a flag four years later so does that mean the Matthews was justified? Dunno. As for that smart arse little prick Thomas, hope he doesn't come back to the club when he's finished. * the open arms s**t because he played in a premiership.

He was the captain and one of the better players but he was about number 8 on the pay list. Matthews gave him until cup day to sign or get out. Daicos is pissed with what happened with Williams and said that he was absolutely shattered. Matthews wanted yes men and Williams wasn't one of them. Anyhow, we won a flag four years later so does that mean the Matthews was justified? Dunno. As for that smart arse little prick Thomas, hope he doesn't come back to the club when he's finished. **** the open arms s**t because he played in a premiership.

'DAISY FILTH'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like lottsa BF people have never changed jobs or "sought greater opportunity elsewhere". The only people I wouldn't want coming back to the club after their careers would be the ones that had disrespected the club or its people (do you hear me Wayne Carey?)
Changing clubs for more opportunity has always happened and yes its always upset supporters. But everyone deserves the chance to improve their life or the lives of their families if they should so choose, surely?

In the case of Chocko it was a double edged sword. He was struggling with a new coach who wanted a new broom through the place. Additionally there was a brand new club with lots of money thrown around prepared to set him up financially.

I have never begrudged Chocko leaving.

Richardson.....not so much...he was a mercenary. That said we hired as many mercernaries back in the day as we lost!! It would be hypocritical to hate Raines for leaving us for money....because money is why he came to us in the first place!

When Buckley took over the GF team did you expect to be talking about another flag or getting smashed by teams again 3 years in?

Getting a bit sick and tired of this piss weak "youngest GF side" and "best side in the comp in 2011" bullshit. Yes we were but do some serious analysis of the 2010-2011 squad versus the 2014 squad articulating likely player evolusion and factor in the LTI injuries instead of just pissy whinging like a sooky delusional bloody Richmond supporter and people might actually give what you say some credence.

Sounds like lottsa BF people have never changed jobs or "sought greater opportunity elsewhere". The only people I wouldn't want coming back to the club after their careers would be the ones that had disrespected the club or its people (do you hear me Wayne Carey?)
Changing clubs for more opportunity has always happened and yes its always upset supporters. But everyone deserves the chance to improve their life or the lives of their families if they should so choose, surely?
Depends on who it is, Rob.
We as supporters love the club rather than individuals, in most cases anyway. From all reports Daisy was smart arse along with a few of his mates. He was asking for overs knowing damn well that Collingwood wouldn't match it. So he got what he wanted and gets to have kick to kick with his ol man. Could probably say that he loved Mick more than the club so he waves goodbye to Collingwood and we change the locks.
Mick, did some things to hurt the club in his final year. He could have given Buckley a top notch apprenticeship but preferred to put more time into Mark Neeld and a few of the others. Attempts to pull more resources away from Collingwood as coach of the campaigners, as he probably should but my love for the club still says "* you Mick".
Heater was Collingwood through and through but he is a knob. Most likely had little idea that he was hurting the club with his bullshit. No excuse as a player but when he retires, it should dawn on him if it hasn't already.

I think you're a little over the top on Choco mate. Do you hold Tuddy and Thommo in the same vein?
Or Picken, Max Richardson, McKenna?]

Rhys Shaw?
Heath Shaw?

Too young for Tuddy, Thommo and Max Richardson so have no opinion.

Rhys , Heath , Picken, McKenna, Dawes, Wellingham, Scotland, and 95% of players who have swapped teams I wish them all the very best. I don't begrudge anyone wanting playing opportunities or going back to their home state.

Every case is different and of course my opinions are only that from a distance and not necessarily logical.

Hawthorn have played kids or recycled players too though. Litherland, and Spangher for starters.

Add to that Burgoyne played midfield, Hodge has missed games and is no longer a permanent midfielder, Suckling lines up on a wing.
Hawthorn has proved that you can cover losses anywhere on the field, no excuses, we've just been shithouse.

People keep throwing up Hawthorn as a comparison but when you look at their squad they are still getting a strong contribution from Mitchell (8), Gibson (8), Burgoyne (16), Sewell (7), Hodge (14), Lake (5), Hale (14) a total of 72 games from their 30+ brigade... every one of them has played senior footy in 2014 and would be among their first picked... by comparison, we've got Maxwell (10), Ball (14), Lynch (0), Swan (15), and Hudson (0)... 39 games, 2x haven't seen any senior action, Swan has laboured through the entire season, Ball is struggling, Maxwell is the only one that has met or exceded expectations.

And that's just games, look at relative draft positions of the players.

Yes Hawthorn have covered injuries, but it certainly impacted the quality of their game, they fell over the line in a couple of games, and it helps when you have so many older players still contributing and that they are supported by a very handy dozen or so 24-30yo's.

Too young for Tuddy, Thommo and Max Richardson so have no opinion.

Rhys , Heath , Picken, McKenna, Dawes, Wellingham, Scotland, and 95% of players who have swapped teams I wish them all the very best. I don't begrudge anyone wanting playing opportunities or going back to their home state.

Every case is different and of course my opinions are only that from a distance and not necessarily logical.

Ok mate, anyone who can admit they're not logical is a supporter through and through.
Just be assured at Collingwood we have lost and gained players for better opportunities "since Adam was a boy" (and I was too). People hated it when Bobby Rose went back to the bush, Ron Todd got more money from the VFA than he did from the pies so he went back to the association in his prime. I don't think I'll ever get upset about players trying to look after themselves after seeing so many of them injured and lost to the game in their prime....so as long as they haven't disgraced the club in some way, they're all welcome back to Pie Land in my book.

Like you said though: "Every case is different"

Ok mate, anyone who can admit they're not logical is a supporter through and through.
Just be assured at Collingwood we have lost and gained players for better opportunities "since Adam was a boy" (and I was too). People hated it when Bobby Rose went back to the bush, Ron Todd got more money from the VFA than he did from the pies so he went back to the association in his prime. I don't think I'll ever get upset about players trying to look after themselves after seeing so many of them injured and lost to the game in their prime....so as long as they haven't disgraced the club in some way, they're all welcome back to Pie Land in my book.

Like you said though: "Every case is different"

Obviously I was forced to support players from other clubs who moved to Collingwood for the money ( Raines, Cloke etc) but I never respected them as much as one-club players.

And part of the reason I have so much respect for Luke Ball was the way he refused to celebrate the Premiership in front of his old teammates. I hope he is still respected by the St Kilda fans.

How are the Blues going under Mick?
I found it interesting that the concensus on Marngrook last night was that MM is good at getting players play for him. I don't know enough to know if this was just collective delusion at play or reality. I am no fan of MM but even if his game plan, selection, list analysis, etc is shite it may be this was one of the key attributes he brings to a club. When MM took over maybe this was sorely needed.

Whether or not the Carlton players are actually playing for him and whether or not this is actually helping a useless mob play better than might be expected is outside my knowledge.

I found it interesting that the concensus on Marngrook last night was that MM is good at getting players play for him. I don't know enough to know if this was just collective delusion at play or reality. I am no fan of MM but even if his game plan, selection, list analysis, etc is shite it may be this was one of the key attributes he brings to a club. When MM took over maybe this was sorely needed.

Whether or not the Carlton players are actually playing for him and whether or not this is actually helping a useless mob play better than might be expected is outside my knowledge.

I don't think there is any doubt in Mick's ability to motivate players. His longevity as a coach is clear evidence of this. For the most part I have very fond memories of him at Collingwood and I believe he is the right coach for Carlton.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back