Bulldogs6 3 rounds Phantom with explanations.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bulldogs_6

All Australian
Sep 5, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cavs, Browns, Red Sox
OK ALL, before I begin.. I have realised my exclusion of Trengove and accidentally missed him out! Anyway please do read this in thinking that IMO he would be ranked anywhere between pick 6 and 15. Thankyou.Alright here is my 2nd and final attempt. Decided to make another phantom to further my summaries yet at the same time to change around the draft order (since trade week).

Feel free to criticise, and compliments will also be accepted :thumbsu:

1. Melbourne- Jack Watts (KPF) - Universally known that Melbourne has been struggling in the Key Position Forward department. This kid is the long term key to the Melbourne forward line. He is an athletic freak, dominated the camp, and has football smarts, good hands and also great conversion.

West Coast- Nick Naitanui (Ruck) - Possibly the greatest athlete the draft camp has ever had to offer. His tremendous upside is the one to watch and which will excite all recruiters. Seen a lot of the kid and from day one knew he could really be something special. His leap is out of this world, he runs hard to each contests, chases well and tackles hard. His rockwork is moderate to great. The only thing holding Melbourne back from taking him pick 1 is the element of risk he holds.

Fremantle- Daniel Rich (Mid) - Easy choice for Freo here. Doubt they would pass up on him here, although they have been known to surprise. Daniel Rich is arguably the safest choice of the draft. He is a readymade player with A+++ foot skills, extremely strong core which helps him break tackles with ease, very fit and a good height for a midfielder. Will work well with Palmer and Ibbo for the future. Dare I say it exciting times for Freo :O

Port Adelaide- Tyrone Vickery (Ruck) - Another obvious choice here, as Vickery concludes the big 4. I am a fan of his although I’m not totally sold, however will make a good ruckman for the future as insurance for the near departures of Lade and Brogan. Can go forward and kick a goal as he has shown, and can take a good grab.

Essendon- Hamish Hartlett (Mid)- One of my personal favourites for the draft. Has lately been underrated highly on here. Has tremendous upside. Good foot skills, can weave his way in and out too easily at times, runs hard and can play both inside and outside. One to watch for the future IMO.

Carlton- Michael Hurley (KPD)- Best Backman in the draft. Very, very good in one on ones, kicks the ball very well which is crucial, however there are question marks over his pace. May not get past pick 4, however you rarely ever see picks get taken this highly. Hurley is an exception though, and will go at 13 to Saints at the absolute lowest.

Brisbane- Chris Yarran (Small Forward)- The excitement machine of the draft. Once again I have seen a lot of this kid and I am a major fan. He will be the Cyril Rioli of this year’s lot, as he will slot straight into wherever he goes. I have him at the Lions because not only is he the best available, he is also partly what they need. He will be lurking around the feet of Brown and Bradshaw waiting to sneak a goal or 6.

Richmond- Jack Ziebell (Mid)- Richmond have a very good prospect here in Jack Ziebell. He is a very good clearance player though at times just slams it on the boot. Can tackle well, can run out large parts of games and can definitely get his own ball. Possibly another play who is ready made and could slot right into the Tigers line up.

North Melbourne- Sam Blease (Mid)- Another one of my favourites. Impressed me throughout the carnival with his pace to burn and precise kicking. Will fit the Kangaroos needs as he has that pace and X-Factor which they are calling out for.

Adelaide- Lewis Johnston (KPF)- I may very well get shot down for this, however for mine I think it should very well happen. Could make for a good forward line for the future with Kurt Tippett and Jason Porplyzia lurking. The fact he is an Adelaide boy is just a bonus. The 2nd best KPF in the draft for great reason, has good hands, converts well and it pretty quick off the mark.

Collingwood- Tom Swift (Mid)- Here is a big risk. With the potential he had shown in the State 16’s carnival this kid could be another excitement machine for years to come. Has that X-Factor about him. He finds the ball, weaves his way in an out, does the hard work. Don’t know which clubs would take the risk on him however I know I would.

Sydney- Shaun McKernan (Ruck/Forward)- Logical choice for the Swans really, as McKernan can fill to holes in one pick. First off they are crying out for a player who is capable of taking a mark up-forward, with the inevitable retirements of Hall and O’Loughlin. Will also play 2nd fiddle to Darren Jolly for a few years. In saying that Jolly can be his mentor and help him become a better player.

Saints- Steele Sidebottom (Mid)- Best available here for the Saints. Not sure how I had him sliding so far, however I doubt recruiters would be 100% convinced over 1 great game. Before that game I could have easily dropped him down to the 2nd round. Is a goal kicking midfielder which the Saints are crying out for, but can also play on the flanks where he will more than likely be used for 4 or 5 years before he can really kick off.

Bulldogs- F/S- Ayce Cordy (Ruck/Forward)- Bulldogs are very lucky to have him here as he has tremendous potential and athletic abilities. Would have gone top 10 easily had he not have been a F/S choice. In saying this I hope he fulfills his potential and has a fair few pre seasons into the gym so he can be exactly what the Doggies need him to be, a marker and converter who can pinch-hit in the ruck.

Geelong- Ryan Schoenmakers (KPF)- Some people may say too high, some people may agree, however having Ryan here is an obvious choice for mine. Good lead up player and long kick of the ball yet is also the key position forward Geelong are crying out for. May take a season or 2 to develop however while Geelong are still dominant they would hope he may come on quicker than expected and possibly kick 25+ goals next year.

Hawthorn- Stephen Hill (Mid)- A slight figure on pitch but take nothing from his athletic ability, Hawks will take the best available here. If there is anything the Hawthorn current midfield is missing it’s a little bit of pace however Hill is a quick fix to this. Has good skills and may take a few years to get on however Hawthorn will only use him as insurance for a while due to their elite midfield of current.

Melbourne- Mitch Robinson (Mid)- A face paced midfielder which will go well for the Dees. Are going for best available at this pick and they will be laughing to snare Mitch here. Wins a lot of the ball, tackles hard and has a nice right foot. May very well slot straight into the team next year with Melbourne’s current crop of midfielders.

West Coast- Rhys O’Keefe (Half Back/Mid)- Rebounder with a real X-Factor. Breaks the lines has precise kicking and reads the play well, and covers the general formalities of a half backman in today’s game.

Melbourne- Jordan Roughead (Ruck)- Tall fella with the main ability of ruck taps, doesn’t cover much at ground level as you’d expect from a ruckman of his age. The reason I have him here is that he has great potential and good athletic ability coming from a basketball background. You would think Melbourne might take a ruckman with this pick as it is a strong draft for ruckman, but also because they didn’t secure the services of Warnock.

West Coast- Michael Walters (Mid/Small Forward)- Seen a lot of this kid and cannot help but be impressed. He is a little Aboriginal fella once again with that X-Factor. His forte is definitely his kicking especially his inside 50 entries. Can run and carry and can also play as a small forward and sneak a goal or two. I think he will go here, but hope he goes earlier.

Fremantle- Dan Hanneberry (Mid)- A bottom aged player who has clean hands. A very nice left boot and decent pace. Well suited to Fremantle as they look to induce young talent into their midfield stocks for the future. May take a year to develop however after that will make a very good AFL player.

Port Adelaide- Aaron Cornelius (KPF)- Slightly framed key positioned forward who is a bottom ager. Has very good hands in contested situations and also on the lead and is also a good conversion. Product of the AIS academy so has a lot of development left in him. I would love to see him slide to the Bulldogs but doubt there is even a slight chance of that.

Essendon- Jordan Lisle (KPP)- Another of the good defenders this draft has to offer. Possibly sits behind only Hurley and Trengove as a backman, however do not take that away from this kid’s ability. Some suggest he may go to Hawthorn with pick 16 but I feel they will take best available to add to their list. His strength is reading the play and filling the hole to take a grab.

Fremantle- Neville Jetta (Small Forward)- Another Swan Districts boy with brilliant skill. A pacey young fella who can find the ball and knows his way to go. May be a real bolter at this pick, as Freo would like to replace Jeff Farmer immediately, and IMO he can slot straight in to the Freo forward pocket.

Brisbane- Nick Heyne (Mid)- Another of my favourites. Has exceptionally clean hands both at ground level and in receiving a handpass and has a very good left boot. Finds his own ball which is a positive and I think he is another readymade AFL player. Good pick here for the Lions.

Richmond- Matt Broadbent (Mid)- Quite a versatile midfielder who can play in most positions barring key position roles. A good fit for the Tiges as they lack these types of players. Can run and carry which is a plus, and his foot skills are generally very good.

North Melbourne- Ash Smith (Mid)- His stocks have increasingly risen over this past couple of weeks since the draft camp, which tells you enough in itself. A player with extreme pace and good athleticism, and also has a very nice kick. Might slide yet it all depends on how important the recruiters see the draft camp.

Adelaide- Nick Suban (Mid)- My favourite Vic Country boy. Finds a lot of the ball, is very clean with the ball in his hands and uses it well. Runs distances often to get to every single contest possible and can also take a couple bounces.

Collingwood- Luke Shuey (Mid)- A natural footballer with a good ability around the pack. Comes across as a bit of an athlete, but the main thing is he works hard. Skills are pretty good but will need improvement to make it at AFL level. Another one whom may slide but I doubt he will.

Sydney- David Zaharakis (Flanker/Mid)- David Zaharakis was one at the start of the year who would be seen in the top ten of many phantom drafts. As the year has progressed he has been slightly disappointing however if he can find his form as of earlier on in his career he will make a great player. The Swans will be laughing taking him at this pick if he comes back. A natural leader who can play through the middle and you often find him on the flanks, to sneak a goal or two.

Bulldogs- Paul Cahill (KPF)- Another “Scott Clayton” pick for the Bulldogs. A tall, athletic forward with little bulk. However if this kid can come on in the gym he will make a good pick up for the Doggies.

Bulldogs- Tom Lynch (KPP)- Just another addition to the Bulldogs KPP stocks. They will be surprised if he slides to this pick which I think he will. Good mark of the ball which is what the Dogs need at this point in time, and will come up for them in a few years time with a more readymade body in comparison to some of their other forward stocks.

Geelong- Matt DeBoer (Mid)- Another West Australian who chose not to nominate for last years draft. He is a good finder of the ball although his skills can be a little bit iffy at times. Is a very good runner and like Banner you will often see him at many contests, generally around the sides waiting to get loose possession so he can run and carry with it.

Hawthorn- Jayden Post (KPD)- One of the better defenders in the draft and his stocks have risen as of late. Has been compared to Tom Harley which I think is spot on as he can fill in the hole and mark the opposition kicks, in the TAC cup I think he had a scary amount of marks? Although he is more of a natural defender than Harley and is brilliant one on one. Good get for the Hawks, the defender they need.

Melbourne- James Strauss (Mid)- Very good midfielder who is an all rounder. Can kick the ball well, run and carry, get to the bottom of a pack and also is quite hard at it. Also quite a good athlete. Have never paid much attention to his decision making, though.

West Coast- Jarrod Blight (Utility)- Can play anywhere on the pick which IMO is what the Eagles should be after. Athletically gifted player and has some height which will go well in a few years. Skills are generally good, and has decent pace.

Fremantle- Riley Milne(Back)- Good backman in one on one defensive occasions and generally towels his opponent up. However he is a slight let down when he gets the ball himself although he will be a good fit for Freo here because they need more key backs who don’t do much of a rebounding job.

Port Adelaide- Kade Klemke (Half Back)- Product of the NSW which I do not know much about. From what I have seen though he is a good mover and reads the play well. Has good skills though his decision making can slightly let him down. Good fit for Port.

Geelong- Mitch Banner (Mid)- Small fella who plays in the midfield for Vic Metro. Impressed me greatly in the State 18’s final which he must have had a severe case of leather poisoning. Can use the ball well and is often around every pack. Geelong will be glad to have him here.

Carlton- Tom Rockliff (Forward/Mid)- Medium sized forward who can take a bit of a mark but also read the ball off a marking contest. A quick comparison is Brad Johnson. Can see him having midfield stints in the future but no permanent roles as he is more suited to a half forward flank.

Brisbane- Clancee Pearce (Half Back)- Seen this kid since he was a junior, and has definitely been a surprise package for me. Skills can have a little touching up however he can bust packs and run and carry. Some may say he will go higher, however I think between 25-45. Very much a rebounding backman who can also do the job quite well on his man.

Richmond- Greg Wolfendon (Mid)- My X-Factor for this draft. I really rate the kid. A bit over aged which shouldn’t be a worry. Finds a lot of his own ball and can use it very well. Turns it on when he has to which is a big plus.

North Melbourne- Adam Cockie (Mid)- Subiaco midfielder who impressed me from what I saw of him in the WAFL this season. Had a brilliant grand final to say the least. Strengths are his ball finding ability and his skills are quite precise.

Adelaide- Rory Sloane (Small Defender)- A very good small defender here. Has very good composure, spoils well for his height and has good closing speed. Did very well on Yarran in the Under 18’s final. Also has decent skills.

Collingwood- Jamie Sheahan (Mid)- A decent player for Vic Country. Finds a lot of his own ball and you well often see him at the bottom of a pack. Foot skills can be a bit iffy at times especially to the lead however they are generally ok. Good pick here for Collingwood will suit them.

Collingwood- Sam Wright (Utility)- As Foj1 mentioned in another thread is a Dale Thomas look alike yet has the same type of approach to a game. Relies on his class and pace more than anything but can get a little lazy defensively. One of those players which extreme pace who can just burst onto the scene in their first year.

Saints- Jay Shannon (Mid)- Another clean player with very tidy hands and good foot skills. Has quick decision making, but the main thing I have noticed is the ability he has to read the bounce of the ball so simply. I think he will slide but wouldn’t surprise me to see him go a little bit earlier.

Saints- Luke Rounds (Mid)- One I looked out for a fair bit during the year. A bottom ager with a huge tank and finds a fair bit of the ball. Will compliment the Saints midfield and will play as a second stringer whilst he develops.

Geelong- Mitch Brown (KPF)- Geelong go tall again for one reason. They will be hoping either Brown or Schoenmakers turn out well so they will therefore take another punt with Brown as he has shown he can kick bags of goals in school football.

Hawthorn- Stephen Gaertner (KPP)- A risk here for the Hawks, however they can take them at the moment. They will be very pleased if he can turn out to be the next utility ala Trent Croad, as he possibly has the equivalent athletic ability.

I sperated each choice as it was very hard to read.

On first browse it appears you have missed Trengove.
Thanks for the separation.

As for Trengove I definitely thought I had him! I really will fit him in there..

I'd be rapt if we ended up with Hurley and Rockliff.

Hurley will really help us down back as we need another tall defender but if we decide to develop him as a forward then he could prove to be a great pick as well.

Rockliff would help our medium forward stocks and if we draft him I can see him playing some senior football as early as next year

Great read mate :thumbsu:

Do the Blues need a player like Pearce?

I think we should draft Pearce because his parents spelty Clancee with two e's.

:thumbsu: to Hurley.

I like Pearce as a player and wouldn't be against drafting him by any stretch. But do we really need him?

Last year we drafted Browne who can play as a half back flanker that pushes into the midfield. I'd like to see him eventually take over Scotland's role.

Do we really need to draft a half back flanker at pick 40? I wouldn't have thought so unless we were confident that either Browne or Pearce could make it as a full time midfielder.

Pick 40 will probably be used for a needs-based selection and if we go tall with pick 6 it will be a small, and the reverse applies. We need a medium forward more than we need another half back.

dons to get Hartlett and Lisle that is better than Hurley and say an Okeffe, Blight type player.

Hartlett + Lisle > Hurley + Okeffe/ Blight/ Strauss/ Hanneberry

Doggies would then now have: A.Cordy, Cahill, T.Lynch, J.Grant, J.Boumann, Minson, R.Murphy as all tall forwards maybe a midfielder in there to cover Scott west would eb the way to go as i think the doggies wouldve then gone to tall. I know they have stated they are going tall but not all will be tall in my opinion.

Great draft and explanations though. 1 you may want to fix is S.Sidey wont go that late he will be a certainty top 8 pick now after his TAC grand final performance.

I like Pearce as a player and wouldn't be against drafting him by any stretch. But do we really need him?

Last year we drafted Browne who can play as a half back flanker that pushes into the midfield. I'd like to see him eventually take over Scotland's role.

Do we really need to draft a half back flanker at pick 40? I wouldn't have thought so unless we were confident that either Browne or Pearce could make it as a full time midfielder.

Pick 40 will probably be used for a needs-based selection and if we go tall with pick 6 it will be a small, and the reverse applies. We need a medium forward more than we need another half back.
I don't think we really need Pearce with Anderson, Armfield and Browne small defenders.

Yet I wouldn't sneeze at Carlton drafting Pearce if he has more upside and potential to be a long term AFL player than Rockliff.

We need more speed.

Just like last year, I can see a better small such as Steven Browne falling ahead of a KPP.

We are not gonna let sidebottom go past us at pick 12. Not sure why everyone thinks will get mckernan, i am not a fan myself of his footy. If we are to go tall i think we will get johnston or trengrove.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't have Pearce to Carlton he's going to Brisbane :confused:
Rockliff and Hurley to Blues it clearly says.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back