bushrangers 2013/14 squad

Remove this Banner Ad

You berate Finch for being s**t but then you choose Stoinis?
From the squad. Ideally neither would play and it'd be Hill/Quiney. Stoinis is the lesser of two evils

Keath needs time, I'm sick of saying it. He's a raw prospect, as much as I'd like him to get a couple of games towards the back end of the season, he isn't a FC cricketer yet. He knew it was a longer road in cricket and he chose it. His sporting career is hardly "destroyed"

Keath needs time, I'm sick of saying it. He's a raw prospect, as much as I'd like him to get a couple of games towards the back end of the season, he isn't a FC cricketer yet. He knew it was a longer road in cricket and he chose it. His sporting career is hardly "destroyed"

Keath is the ultimate sporting conundrum. Elitely talented at both sports (let me assure you - the majority of them are - the two that I have first hand knowledge of - Jonathon Brown and Luke Hodge I am confident in saying would have made first class level as cricketers had the stuck with it) , he does the unusual thing and chooses a CV Rookie contract over a guaranteed top 20 draft spot with the Suns. Immediately that puts him in the spotlight. Cricket needed to have a "WIN" against the tide so naturally he gets more focus than he deserved to. All cricket followers want him to make it, but his case highlights some of my thoughts on the decline in standard and the large gaps between grade / district cricket and then first class and international cricket. If he stuck at footy, you would think he'd have around 50 games up and be well established. As a cricketer he's played a handfull of first class games and he's probably lucky to have played that many on form. Last summer he was a sub fielder for the Test against Sri Lanka and embedded within the team for the entire test. On the face of it you would think he's still got a long way to go. The obsession with promoting youth at all costs is highlighted right here and now. Our junior systems are not robust enough to develop kids that are ready to go at first class or international level. Once they get into the senior systems it takes a lot more time than it used to finish them off as the finished article.

Hopefully Keath sticks at it and makes it - it will be well worth it if he does.

3/54 in Futures League. Yes, I'm reduced to reading about that I'm so bored. Keath made 12, Cameron and the Hollands haven't batted yet. Assuming Hill is injured due to not playing and not being in the shield squad. Former young gun Seb Gotch in.

Keath is the ultimate sporting conundrum. Elitely talented at both sports (let me assure you - the majority of them are - the two that I have first hand knowledge of - Jonathon Brown and Luke Hodge I am confident in saying would have made first class level as cricketers had the stuck with it) , he does the unusual thing and chooses a CV Rookie contract over a guaranteed top 20 draft spot with the Suns. Immediately that puts him in the spotlight. Cricket needed to have a "WIN" against the tide so naturally he gets more focus than he deserved to. All cricket followers want him to make it, but his case highlights some of my thoughts on the decline in standard and the large gaps between grade / district cricket and then first class and international cricket. If he stuck at footy, you would think he'd have around 50 games up and be well established. As a cricketer he's played a handfull of first class games and he's probably lucky to have played that many on form. Last summer he was a sub fielder for the Test against Sri Lanka and embedded within the team for the entire test. On the face of it you would think he's still got a long way to go. The obsession with promoting youth at all costs is highlighted right here and now. Our junior systems are not robust enough to develop kids that are ready to go at first class or international level. Once they get into the senior systems it takes a lot more time than it used to finish them off as the finished article.

Hopefully Keath sticks at it and makes it - it will be well worth it if he does.

Mitch Marsh is another in the same boat. Though a much easier decision for him because of the family connection.

Well Gotch and Dean Russ looking good, both close to 50. Russ' stats in Grade cricket haven't been great, lots of starts (1 game under 10) but only 3 scores over 50 and one ton. Don't think he'll get his chance at 26 but good to see him putting his name up there

The Bushrangers need a shake up at coaching level - my gut feel is there is a bit of complacency about the place - everyone is in love with each other and it's reflecting in the performances. The age of great bowling stocksis over for the time being. We need to prune the list back hard - remove a lot of the bit part / muddling all rounders and find some fats bowlers and some four day batsmen.

The Bushrangers need a shake up at coaching level - my gut feel is there is a bit of complacency about the place - everyone is in love with each other and it's reflecting in the performances. The age of great bowling stocksis over for the time being. We need to prune the list back hard - remove a lot of the bit part / muddling all rounders and find some fats bowlers and some four day batsmen.
There doesn't seem to have been much improvement in the players who should now be quality Shield players e.g. Finch, Handscomb, Hill & to a lesser extent, Keath.

Wade has gone backwards over the last year & a bit (the Indian tour would seem to have totally shattered his confidence) & I'm a little puzzled as to why he was given the captaincy this season. The recruitment of Christian was a very strange decision, with the loss of McDonald being an opportunity to give game time to Keath, or any other young all-rounder who may have shown a bit at grade level.

The spin bowling quandary continues with Muirhead getting a run in the just completed debacle against NSW, whilst both Ahmed & Jon Holland played in the futures game against ACT (a game won by 31 runs by Victoria, with only a couple of batsman making runs in the 1st innings). One can only assume that Cricket Australia continues to have a significant say in who gets a game, hence Muirhead's selection ahead of Holland (Ahmed's form this season didn't warrant selection) & why Finch continues to get a game despite absolutely stinking it up at Shield level.

I remember Handscomb making a score of 170+ for the Vic 2nd XI v NSW 2nd XI at Hurstville a couple of years ago & his early form in the Shield promised big things. I know the kid is only young, but he has not shown even the natural progression since then you would expect from such a talented player. I note in another post you have stated he has been shuffled around the batting order a bit & I just wonder who is responsible for this, because if it keeps happening this kid is not going to get the opportunity to achieve what he seemed destined to achieve.

Overall, I agree it is time for a shake up at coaching level & I wonder whether Cricket Victoria should be looking to wave a massive carrot in front of someone such as Darren Berry, who seems to have done some good work with SA in the last couple of years. After all he is a Victorian & he has a very good cricket brain.

The problem I see is that when Shipp decides to retire they'll appoint Helmot as full senior coach which will be a mistake IMO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Quiney's apparently playing in the Futures League game despite there's nothing on the CA website to indicate that there's a game on. Strange. Handscomb is captaining the side.

So Quiney's apparently playing in the Futures League game despite there's nothing on the CA website to indicate that there's a game on. Strange. Handscomb is captaining the side.

Its probably not an official game, Victoria and NSW often play an extra game each year against each other

Matthew Wade (C)
Fawad Ahmed
Scott Boland
John Hastings
Michael Hill
Jon Holland
David Hussey
Glenn Maxwell
Rob Quiney
Jake Reed
Marcus Stoinis
Cameron White