Toast Celebrating 150 years

Remove this Banner Ad

All the way from Texas?
So?
I just came back from the Sates via Dallas.
( got a really bad cold/covid? Out of it and been pretty much in bed for the past 5 days - but that’s a whole other story…)

Luckily I’ll be fit to warm the bench tomorrow night 😊

I’m so proud to be a Sainter. Not just because of the resilience of our great club, but also the people that make it. The supporters. The lifelong, diehards.

Through the ups, the downs and every bump along the way, our loyalty will always remain.

Thank you to those who shared their stories for this special video. I really wanted it to embody the almost intangible feeling of what connects every Sainter to the club, and express why it’ll sit fondly in our hearts forever.

Carn the Sainters.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Saint-sational … a snapshot of some of the most loved St Kilda footballers across 150 years​

St Kilda is a club with a rich history, featuring some of the game’s greatest players. But in 150 years, who has been the greatest Saint? Have your say here.

Glenn McFarlane Glenn McFarlane
Follow

@MaccaHeraldSun

8 min read
March 31, 2023 - 8:04AM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

0 comments

41:34
A Friday night classic at the MCG + can North really be 3-0?

CODE Bet AFL Show - Round 3 of the 2023 AFL Season: best bets, player props and picks for every AFL game! The CODE Bet AFL show this week digs into every single game for the best player props, match bets and game picks, starting with the Bulldogs taking on the Lions and finishing up with Freo against the Eagles in the Western Derby. With all nine AFL games broken down and picked, there's everything you need for your AFL betting for the weekend ahead. CODE Bet's Jaymz Clements, Alex Donnelly and Liam 'Stats Guy' McAllion dive into betting tips for all the teams and players who will dominate in this week's AFL action.

AFL

Don't miss out on the headlines from AFL. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Follow
As St Kilda prepares to celebrate its 150th birthday, Glenn McFarlane looks at some of the most loved Saints who helped to steer the club through the good and the bad – and some of the well-known fans who have been there throughout the wild ride.
DARREL BALDOCK (1962-68, 119 games, 237 goals. Coach of the club in 62 games, 1987-89)
Enshrined as the Saints’ first – and so far only – premiership skipper, Baldock was a football genius who flashed like a comet across seven AFL seasons before returning to his native Tasmania. He later returned to coach the lowly Saints in the late 1980s.
Darrel Baldock with the premiership cup. Picture: Supplied

IAN STEWART (1963-70, 127 games, 25 goals)
One of the most gifted footballers in the game’s history, Stewart won back-to-back Brownlow Medals in 1965 and ‘66 in one of the Saints’ best eras. It still tugs at the fans’ heart strings that a dispute saw him leave for Richmond in 1971 where he won a third Brownlow. Could he have made the difference – if he had stayed at St Kilda – in the 1971 grand final?
TONY LOCKETT (1983-94, 183 games, 898 goals)
A goal-kicking colossus who gave the Saints fans something to cheer for through the miserable 1980s and the more competitive early ‘90s before his shock move to Sydney. He won the Brownlow in 1987, making headlines for mostly good and sometimes bad reasons on and off the field. Kicked almost 900 of his record 1360 VFL-AFL goals in a St Kilda jumper. Could he have made a difference – if he had stayed with the Saints – in the 1997 grand final?
Danny Frawley and Tony Lockett in 1991.

ROBERT HARVEY (1988-2008, 383 games, 215 goals)
No Saint has played as many games as the running machine who wore the No. 35 guernsey. A dual Brownlow Medal winner, four-time best-and-fairest winner and eight-time All-Australian, a flag was one of the few things that eluded him. Now back at the Saints to impart his wisdom to the next generation.

Who is St Kilda's greatest ever player?​

Lenny Hayes
Nick Riewoldt
Tony Lockett
Darrel Baldock
Ian Stewart
Danny Frawley
Robert Harvey
Other
Cast your vote

NICK RIEWOLDT (2001-17, 336 games, 718 goals)
Not only a superstar key forward but also a great leader who helped take the club to back-to-back grand finals in 2009 and 2010. A toe-poke and a bad bounce of the ball denied them of a flag or two. Won a club-record six best and fairests in a relatively successful era.
Stephen Milne and Nick Riewoldt celebrate a goal.

LENNY HAYES (1999-2014, 297 games, 95 goals)
St Kilda produced T-shirts for Lenny Hayes’ last game – emblazoned with ‘I love Lenny’ – which perfectly represented what the inspirational midfielder meant to his teammates and Saints’ fans. A three-time best and fairest and All-Australian, Hayes also won the Norm Smith Medal in the 2010 grand final draw, Like Harvey, he is back at Moorabbin.
NATHAN BURKE (1987-2003, 323 games, 124 goals)
Phil Narkle first fashioned helmets at St Kilda, but it was tough and tenacious midfielder Nathan Burke who took it to a new level. A team-first player, he always put the collective ahead of his own needs, Burke won three B&Fs and made four All-Australian teams.
TREVOR BARKER (1975-89, 230 games, 134 goals)
One of the most revered names in St Kilda’s history, the blond-haired Barker was a shining light during a decade and a half of gloom. He possessed a spectacular leap, dragging down countless mark of the week grabs. Stayed loyal to the Saints when he could so easily have left for more money or success. His death from cancer – at 39 – meant he sadly never got to coach the club which always seemed his destiny.
Trevor Barker is an all-time Saints great.

NEIL ROBERTS (1952-62, 169 games, 40 goals)
One of the Saints’ idols of the 1950s and early 60s, Roberts transformed from a sometimes inaccurate forward into one of the best defenders in the game. He won the 1958 Brownlow Medal as well as two club best and fairests. Played one final in 169 games, but was one of the Saints’ favourite sons, with his own son, Michael, also representing the club as well.
ALLAN JEANS (1955-59, 77 games, 26 goals. Coach of the club in 315 games, 1961-76)
His playing career was a modest one, but he coached the club across 16 seasons. He led St Kilda to its only flag in 1966 – beating Collingwood by a point – as well as into two more grand finals in 1965 and 1971. He later coached Hawthorn to three more flags.
ROSS SMITH (1961-72, ‘75, 234 games, 230 goals. Coached the club in 22 games, 1977)
Hard work and dedication saw the humble Ross Smith become one of the best rovers in the game. He was a member of the Saints’ 1966 flag, and won the Brownlow Medal in 1967. Made a comeback with the Saints in 1975 before coaching the club for a season in 1977.
Kevin Sheedy and Ross Smith

CARL DITTERICH (1963-72, ‘76-78, 203 games, 156 goals)
One of the most feared ruckmen of his era, Ditterich was a ruthlessly tough competitor who made those playing alongside him walk taller. He was the hard-luck story of the 1966 premiership success, having been suspended in the penultimate game of the home and away season. The media-shy big man had two stints with St Kilda as well as Melbourne.
DANNY FRAWLEY (1984-95, 240 games, 13 goals)
Ever-reliable defender who was a heart-and-soul leader, captaining the club in 187 games. Won the 1988 best and fairest, the same year he was named in the All-Australian team. His deep affinity with the club and its fans was such that his family chose Moorabbin as the place for his funeral after his shock death in 2019.
Danny Frawley is a St Kilda legend.

BILL MOHR (1929-41, 195 games, 735 goals)
No lesser judge than Gordon Coventry rated St Kilda sharpshooter Bill Mohr as one of the best full-forwards he had ever seen. In a team that often struggled to kick a winning score, Mohr booted more than 700 goals in less than 200 games, and became the first Saint to reach the century in a season with 101 in 1936.
BARRY BREEN (1965-82, 300 games, 308 goals).
It almost seems a touch unfair given he played 300 games that Barry Breen is best remembered for one kick and one behind in one game. But his point in the dying moments of the 1966 grand final was the stuff of legends, winning the Saints their only flag. But Breen’s contribution to the club lasted almost 20 years after the most important kick of his career.
NICKY WINMAR (1987-1998, 230 games, 283 goals)
Winmar was one of the most spectacular players to represent St Kilda across 12 seasons. But among the many highlights was one of the most significant moments not only in the club’s history, but the game’s. He made a stand against racism at Victoria Park in 1993, which became the catalyst for change in the AFL in a fight that still exists three decades on.
KEVIN ‘COWBOY’ NEALE (1965-77, 256 goals, 301 goals)
The man known as ‘Cowboy’ due to his unusual gait was a tough and uncompromising footballer, whose passion for the club and relentless attack on the contest endeared himself to Saints fans. He was a member of the 1966 premiership side and he left Peter Hudson concussed in a key, controversial moment of the 1971 grand final.
Kevin Neale celebrates a win in 1971.

STEWART LOEWE (1986-2002, 321 games, 594 goals)
They called him ‘Buckets’ for his enormous hands which became a weapon for the Saint considered one of the AFL’s best marks of his age. Formed a great relationship with Tony Lockett in attack and went on to make two All-Australian teams and improved his awkward kicking style which saw him end up kicking almost 600 goals.
VERDUN HOWELL (1958-1968, 159 games, 59 goals)
Another of the Saints’ famed 1966 premiership side, Howell became a champion defender for the club who was retrospectively awarded the 1959 Brownlow Medal, having originally lost the award on a countback to Bob Skilton. Always a much loved figure at the club.
FRASER GEHRIG (2001-08, 145 games, 390 goals)
The ‘G Train’ was stopping all stations in the early 2000s. Gehrig gave Saints fans a wild, rollicking ride which saw him win two Coleman Medals as well as kicking 103 goals in 2004. The former Eagles was adopted by his new club as he became a key spearhead for St Kilda who was unconventional off the field but almost unstoppable at his best on it.
STEPHEN MILNE (2001-13, 275 games, 574 goals)
Opposition fans loved to hate him, but that only made St Kilda barrackers cheer for him more. Milne was a thorn in opposition sides for more than a decade, making two All-Australian teams and winning the club’s goal kicking on four occasions. He was almost the hero of the 2010 grand final in the dying moments … until the ball bounced the wrong way for him – and for St Kilda.
—--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FAMOUS SAINTS FANS OVER THE YEARS
SHANE WARNE

Before he wanted to be a Test cricketer, Warney wanted to be a St Kilda footballer. He almost made it too, playing under 19s and reserves with the club. But his destiny was cricket and he would become one of the greatest players of all-time. He remained connected to the Saints throughout his life. His private funeral was held at the St Kilda Football Club last year, with two Saints scarfs adorning his coffin.
Shane Warne during his St Kilda reserves football career. Picture: Supplied

LINDSAY FOX
If it wasn’t for billionaire businessman and former Saints player Lindsay Fox, there might not have been a St Kilda Football Club in 2023. He played 20 games from 1959-61, but it was efforts off the field that helped save the Saints. He returned to the club as president in 1979 and helped the club through many financial storms including one that threatened to close up the doors.
ERIC BANA
St Kilda young gun Mattaes Phillipou confessed after last week’s victory that he didn’t know who Eric Bana was. You can bet your bottom dollar Bana knows who Mattaes is! The Hollywood actor who famously starred as Chopper among many other roles is a passionate Saints fan who is a regular visitor in the club’s change rooms.
MOLLY MELDRUM
Molly is technically still waiting to hear the final siren sound on his first Saints flag. He was there that famous day in 1966 as part of the St Kilda cheer-squad but fainted moments after Barry Breen kicked the matchwinning point in the dying minutes.
Molly Meldrum is as passionate as they come. .

MICHAEL GUDINSKI
The late music executive and promoter was not only a passionate Saints fan, he served on the board as vice-president for a number of years. St Kilda players loved him (and not just because he often provided them with the best concert tickets). The club wore black armbands when he died in 2021.
ED SHEERAN
Michael Gudinski and Shane Warne “recruited” Ed Sheeran to become a St Kilda supporter, among the many global celebrities who were coaxed to follow the red, white and black. Sheeran has visited Moorabbin on a few occasions and recently sent the club a special 150th birthday greeting.
Ed Sheeran rocking the red, white and black. Picture: Jake Nowakowski

GRAHAM KENNEDY
Who were pallbearers at the funeral of Australian television icon Graham Kennedy in 2005? Full marks if you answered then Saints president Rod Butterss, coach Grant Thomas and players Nick Riewoldt, Aaron Hamill, Luke Ball and Fraser Gehrig. Kennedy may have been a reclusive star for much of his career, but he always loved the Saints.
GERRY RYAN
Hugely successful businessman and sports-lover who has served on the Saints’ board and has long been a passionate supporter of the club. Has always been willing to assist St Kilda.
ELLE MACPHERSON
The Saints staged a coup when they convinced one of the world’s best known and successful models in Elle Macpherson to become the club’s No. 1 female member in 1990. Not sure how closely she still follows the Saints to this day.
Elle Macpherson was St Kilda’s No.1 female member in 1990.

CHER
Another international superstar who was photographed in a St Kilda jumper during a promotional event in 1981 in an effort to boost the club’s membership campaign. She took a shine to Trevor Barker, the Saints’ most marketable and best player at the time.

More Coverage​

Why Clarko, Hawks are on separate Tassie flightsAFL great calls out double standards of Pearce banPressure gauge: How 0-2 teams can save their season
JANE BUNN
Channel 7’s weather expert Jane Bunn also doubles as a passionate St Kilda supporter, having been brought up around the bayside. She is often seen at Saints’ games.

I have to admit I've always loved the players and one of the saddest aspects of the last decade is missing the huge personalities and characters. Phillipou looks straight out of the St Kilda heroes playbook. Big personality, mercurial skills and just a little bit of magic about him.

I have to admit I've always loved the players and one of the saddest aspects of the last decade is missing the huge personalities and characters. Phillipou looks straight out of the St Kilda heroes playbook. Big personality, mercurial skills and just a little bit of magic about him.

Our playing list has been pretty vanilla over the last decade by St Kilda standards but that's changing with the likes of King, Owens, Windhager and Phillipou being drafted in recent years. With Ross the Boss back on board to lead them there are some exciting times ahead for us.

I have no family that followed the saints or vfl like some of you when you were kids.
I grew up round ball and in '85 had to "pick a side' for 'footy'.
Why?
No idea and was told 'because!'
Little did i know they meant SA footy (port or glenelg).

What the hell did i know?

Ended up seeing some vfl not sanfl round up on the telly
(Would it of been Winners back in the mid 80s?)

Anyway i saw plugger

Had never seen anyone rhat big move that fast and kick a funny shaped ball so far
Then Barks, never seen anyone jump and catch a funny shaped ball like that.

I didnt know we were s**t
Wtf did i know?
Just liked the players and the colours

38 years later and here we all are

As a round ball fan we would yell COYI ! (some will get it)

As a funny shaped ball Saints mad fan i yell

FFS!

Lol

Its been a tough road
Alot of fans have been at it a hell of a lot longer than me, 50, 60 years!... its in their blood...its all our blood

Proud to see us hit 150

FQF 4 LIFE

Thanks for starting this thread sammm. Was going to post in the game thread but didn't want to interrupt that rip roaring erection fest (what a thread!)

It's been an unexpectedly emotional week... The Unpluggered boys got me reminiscing about a life as a Saint that began for me at VFL Park in 1980 (a draw v the eventual Premiers).

I remember waiting for Dad to get home from his Saturday morning job, working in a local electronics store. A photo is around somewhere of me in my very first St Kilda jumper (probably a cheapo version from Venture or Target), with a homemade 'flogger' of RWB streamers that Mum had made. Dad was a diehard Saint, born in East St Kilda in a household of Richmond supporters... his sister & he going against the grain as they ventured to the Junction to watch the 1950's Saints led by Alan Killigrew. He was there in 66 as a young man...a mint condition Footy Record from that magical day is one of my treasured possessions.

The tears began to flow yesterday while listening to the Unpluggered Lethlean & 150 anniversary episodes (congratulations to Darren, Nick & H for their wonderful tributes to our club). So many memories, both sweet & painful.

I think it really got to me because of the connection that Dad & I had was so deeply entrenched in our shared love of the club. We lost him in 1994 very unexpectedly... he was only 45. Our last game we saw together was Plugger's last game at StK, v the Pies at Waverley.

I think I'll be a bit of a mess on Saturday night... thinking about those long gone days as a young fella, walking along Horsmunden Rd, holding dad's hand as the noise of the ground grew louder the closer we got. They were absolutely magic days... Barks, Plugger, Spud, Banga & Cuz... the mud & the occasional win that made the grandstand shake.

Opposition supporters don't get it & never will. Our club is special in a way that is very difficult to describe... only we can appreciate it.

Love it, hate it, can't live without it.

St.Kilda Forever

this got me teary. what a great post!

hopefully we get the win for you mate!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love that old 100 yo fella they got down from MildurA. Billo gave him a jumper. How goods that. That’s me in 40 years. 😂
Me too. Pretty amazing he's been around for 2/3rds of this clubs life. Made me think about all those who actually remember the 66 Grand Final and it made me realise something potentially horrific.
My dad would have been between the age of 7 - 12 in 1966. My Nan barracks for Hawthorn. It makes me wonder if my father is a bandwagoner.

I just had that thought this afternoon, and it left me feeling a little off really. I'd hate to think he climbed on the bandwagon as a child, but it makes sense. Doesn't sit well with me, I'll have to ask him next time I see him.

Maybe a bandwagoner isn't that bad if they stay on once they get on. Personally, I don't agree with that. I can't stand how many children are Richmond supporters these days.

My identity is in shambles.

Me too. Pretty amazing he's been around for 2/3rds of this clubs life. Made me think about all those who actually remember the 66 Grand Final and it made me realise something potentially horrific.
My dad would have been between the age of 7 - 12 in 1966. My Nan barracks for Hawthorn. It makes me wonder if my father is a bandwagoner.

I just had that thought this afternoon, and it left me feeling a little off really. I'd hate to think he climbed on the bandwagon as a child, but it makes sense. Doesn't sit well with me, I'll have to ask him next time I see him.

Maybe a bandwagoner isn't that bad if they stay on once they get on. Personally, I don't agree with that. I can't stand how many children are Richmond supporters these days.

My identity is in shambles.
My old man and his parents moved from Greece to Melbourne in 1963, he was 5 at the time. All the other wogs went and supported North Melbourne or Carlton (blue & white, same as the Greek flag) but he told me he saw us on the telly in 1965 and chose us because of the shield on our guernsey. He thought it was a cross, and him being Greek Orthodox meant it was a match made in heaven.

At least I hope that story is true, because coincidentally we made a GF in '65 and won it in '66 so I too hope it wasn't a bandwagon job.

My old man and his parents moved from Greece to Melbourne in 1963, he was 5 at the time. All the other wogs went and supported North Melbourne or Carlton (blue & white, same as the Greek flag) but he told me he saw us on the telly in 1965 and chose us because of the shield on our guernsey. He thought it was a cross, and him being Greek Orthodox meant it was a match made in heaven.

At least I hope that story is true, because coincidentally we made a GF in '65 and won it in '66 so I too hope it wasn't a bandwagon job.
Great stories. I moved from Perth to Melbourne in 1964 aged 6 years old. At first we lived in a rented half house in Male Street Brighton. My Grandma from Adelaide visited us and gave me a Bank of New South Wales football money box with a St Kilda football club sticker affixed...and the rest is history!!! The money box is long gone. However, I still have the crest that Mum sewed on to my first St Kilda guernsey along with the number 6 (my favourite player was Bob Murray) and a couple of badges. I will be there tonight and as a 65 year old I just might wear them all!!! Go Sainters.

Attachments

• saints.JPG
    saints.JPG
    329.7 KB · Views: 24
I remember starting to follow St Kilda when I was a kid back in the early 1960s, as my dad knew someone on the committee at the club, and Carl Ditterich was making his mark as a player, so I got more interested. We didn't have any Saints supporters in the family, and my dad was more a Carlton or Essendon man, as he played reserves for both. I wasn't that passionate about VFL footy until later in the '60s as I got older, even though the Saints won the flag in '66, there wasn't blanket media coverage like we have now.
I remember seeing Stewart and Baldock in action up close in the late '60s and they were incredible to watch. The premiership team was very well-balanced across the ground- lots of skill, and lots of strength across all lines.
Can't believe that we haven't won another premiership after all those years, with so many great players over the decades, and it has been disappointing to see us lose all those GFs.
If Baldock had not have gotten ill when he was coach, I reckon he would have taken us to the next flag- the players really played for him. I think also that Trev Barker may have gone on to be a Saints premiership coach had he not tragically left us.
We can only hope that the Saints go from strength to strength- leadership is everything.

A massive Greek family means that my closest relatives are Hawks/Tigers/Blues and there is even a swan supporter in there.

My old man was born in the 50s. Made to the granny in 66. The only saint in the family.

My earliest memory was the 97 grand final. My interest in footy was starting to develop. My folks - being typical wogs. Had their own take away shop or 2 and decorated the place red/white/black for the occasion.

I don’t remember watching the game but I remember my old man being gutted at the outcome. Something he still repeats to me every chance he gets when he waxes on about us.

My first game. The old man kitted me up in every single st Kilda merchandise I wanted - just to make sure I was indoctrinated and there was no hope of me being turned. I still remember the day being filled with an insane amount of rain. But a post match win meant Maccas on the way home. I still remember the Peter Pan toy too.

For the rest of 98’ I would watch or listen to the radio every week.

99’ I went almost every week - at this point it was in my blood. I would talk footy wear my saints colours every chance I got. I remember my first “on field” guernsey and the silk like feel compared to the itch of the wool prior meant it instantly became my go to: nothing to wear? Throw it on. Bed time? Yep on it went etc etc.

00-02 was tough. I remember I had started to play juniors and we sucked. I listed and watched and went but it was hard as a kid with so few wins. But I had one magical moment that I would never forget.

Flew up with my old man to see us get destroyed in Sydney in round 21. At the airport that night- ran into Thommo and all the players. Barry Hall promised me he wasn’t leaving - when I asked about all the rumours. Prick left a few weeks later.

But Thommo…. So impressed that a kid would make the effort to go interstate. Asked my old man if I could come to training on the Wednesday and miss some school. So I did… I was given a show around Moorabbin. Met the boys and was told to go to the old interchange bench sheds in the field and ask for Fat mick - yes he was ******* enormous to a kid. Mick asked me how many tickets I wanted? I was confused so said 10.

A few days later I was celebrating this win in the rooms pre and post match with the boys.

I barely missed a game for the next decade. I cried as Schneider ripped our hearts out in 05. I have blocked out 09, I was confused at the draw. I got my first speeding fine leaving the replay.

But I did all that with my old man. My best friend. I shared every great moment with him and it’s something I’ll cherish forever. I remember hugging him when we the siren went at the end of the 09 prelim. I thought it was our moment. I remember the look and the words he said to me when Goddard marked and put us ahead in 2010. My old man barely said a ******* word all day as we watched that until that moment. We all dreamt what it might mean.

Unfortunately my old man can barely get to a game these days. He has kidney disease and not alot of time left due to needing so much dialysis treatment.

But this club will forever be what binds me to him in ways that only supporters can probably understand. It was our thing. Our shared love and passion. Our club.

Whilst I’d kill for all the success every other member of my family has seen and I am insanely jealous they have been on the end of it and I haven’t as someone who is so consumed by his club and the sport.

I wouldn’t change what this journey has meant for me. Because it will always connect me with my old man and it’s something I hope will connect me with my son as he gets older.

Go Saints

A massive Greek family means that my closest relatives are Hawks/Tigers/Blues and there is even a swan supporter in there.

My old man was born in the 50s. Made to the granny in 66. The only saint in the family.

My earliest memory was the 97 grand final. My interest in footy was starting to develop. My folks - being typical wogs. Had their own take away shop or 2 and decorated the place red/white/black for the occasion.

I don’t remember watching the game but I remember my old man being gutted at the outcome. Something he still repeats to me every chance he gets when he waxes on about us.

My first game. The old man kitted me up in every single st Kilda merchandise I wanted - just to make sure I was indoctrinated and there was no hope of me being turned. I still remember the day being filled with an insane amount of rain. But a post match win meant Maccas on the way home. I still remember the Peter Pan toy too.

For the rest of 98’ I would watch or listen to the radio every week.

99’ I went almost every week - at this point it was in my blood. I would talk footy wear my saints colours every chance I got. I remember my first “on field” guernsey and the silk like feel compared to the itch of the wool prior meant it instantly became my go to: nothing to wear? Throw it on. Bed time? Yep on it went etc etc.

00-02 was tough. I remember I had started to play juniors and we sucked. I listed and watched and went but it was hard as a kid with so few wins. But I had one magical moment that I would never forget.

Flew up with my old man to see us get destroyed in Sydney in round 21. At the airport that night- ran into Thommo and all the players. Barry Hall promised me he wasn’t leaving - when I asked about all the rumours. Prick left a few weeks later.

But Thommo…. So impressed that a kid would make the effort to go interstate. Asked my old man if I could come to training on the Wednesday and miss some school. So I did… I was given a show around Moorabbin. Met the boys and was told to go to the old interchange bench sheds in the field and ask for Fat mick - yes he was ******* enormous to a kid. Mick asked me how many tickets I wanted? I was confused so said 10.

A few days later I was celebrating this win in the rooms pre and post match with the boys.

I barely missed a game for the next decade. I cried as Schneider ripped our hearts out in 05. I have blocked out 09, I was confused at the draw. I got my first speeding fine leaving the replay.

But I did all that with my old man. My best friend. I shared every great moment with him and it’s something I’ll cherish forever. I remember hugging him when we the siren went at the end of the 09 prelim. I thought it was our moment. I remember the look and the words he said to me when Goddard marked and put us ahead in 2010. My old man barely said a ******* word all day as we watched that until that moment. We all dreamt what it might mean.

Unfortunately my old man can barely get to a game these days. He has kidney disease and not alot of time left due to needing so much dialysis treatment.

But this club will forever be what binds me to him in ways that only supporters can probably understand. It was our thing. Our shared love and passion. Our club.

Whilst I’d kill for all the success every other member of my family has seen and I am insanely jealous they have been on the end of it and I haven’t as someone who is so consumed by his club and the sport.

I wouldn’t change what this journey has meant for me. Because it will always connect me with my old man and it’s something I hope will connect me with my son as he gets older.

Go Saints

Respect mate 👊 Spend as much time as you can with your old man.

Think it's pretty therapeutic for us to be sharing our Saints stories. That's happened a bit in the introduction thread that's stuck at the top of the forum but it's always heartwarming to see our individual journey supporting the club. Thanks to everyone for posting. It's interesting how the fabric of a footy club is seen across the supporter group - we all have very deep connections to the Saints, and it says a lot about a person to endure so much heartache for something you're so involved in. It's probably stupid but I take it personally when someone talks s**t about us or says we are a laughing stock. St.Kilda is part of who I am. Thanks for everyone for posting and respect for sharing such emotional moments with us.

Mine is probably a mixture of W2L and Stavro's. I mentioned earlier in here that my old man and our family came to Melbourne in 1963 and he began supporting the Saints in 1965. He didn't attend the '66 GF (Only 8 years old at the time and my grandfather wasn't invested in the club enough to take him), but a few years later he snuck into the 1971 GF to watch us play Hawthorn and have our hearts broken. He would go to the footy regularly from then on. Stuart Trott, Carl Ditterich and Travis Payze were his favourite players early on, and then guys like Cunningham, Sarau, Barker, Lockett, Winmar, Loewe. He would go to Moorabbin on the outer wing and stand on used beer cans to get a better view. He met my mother in 1980, and got her invested in the club - they'd go together to games throughout the 80's. One he vividly remembers is Round 2, 1989 at Moorabbin against the Blues. Lockett kicked 10 and won us the game. When they went home they were told that he was seen on the telecast during the last quarter giving it to Craig Bradley on the boundary line. I've watched the game back and noticed him - gave me a good laugh;

My earliest memories of the Saints were probably in 1996. I can't quite remember watching my first game because we went to so many from '96 onwards. I made a note to keep all my footy records to all games I attended with my old man, still have them today so I could probably find out. I remember beating the Blues in the Ansett Cup and the centenary game v Collingwood as the main ones from my first year or so remembering supporting us. I was in grade 1 in '97, and my teacher was a mad Collingwood supporter. We used to do show-and-tell every Monday, and because we went on that mad win streak all I would talk about is the Saints getting up and who were our best players etc. Long story short I converted my school teacher from Collingwood to St.Kilda that year, and on the morning of the GF she came to our house unexpectedly and gave me and my father two St.Kilda themed raincoats that they were selling that week for people going to the game. Still got them. We didn't go, we watched on the telly, but I remember crying all the way through the last quarter as Jarman tore us to pieces. My dad wasn't visibly emotional, he was just shattered.

We had a bit of a dip between '98 to '02. A special moment for me though was in '99 when we plucked Tony Francis from Collingwood. We were playing the Bulldogs out at Waverly early in the year and my dad and I sat a couple of rows in front of these feral Dogs supporters who were giving Francis hell, telling us all that he was a reject and all we ever seem to bring to our footy club are rejects. Fast forward two hours, Francis kicks the winning goal very late on, my old man stands up turns around and sarcastically chants REJECT, REJECT back at them. Complete silence.

A few weeks later I went with a Hawthorn supporting mate to see us lead by 11 goals at half time and get run over an hour later. Story of the Saints I guess.

But it was a lot of fun from '03 onwards. I was in my teens and would go with mates to games, my old man went less and less often as I got older. Some good memories. I remember sitting with him in the lounge watching the '05 qualifying final - one of my best memories I've ever had with my dad - and probably the greatest win I've ever seen from our club. Backs against the wall, grit, determination and then jubilation at the final siren.

Our next game, the '05 prelim against the Swans was the last game I went to with him. By that point I was 15 and had a group of mates that we would go to the footy with - dad kind of grew out of going to the footy I guess, and just watched in the comfort of home.

Went to the prelim final in 2008 which I didn't think we'd win so wasn't too surprised when the Hawks gave us a hiding (coincidentally Harves last game too), and then went to every final in 2009 and 2010. Spent a shitload as a 19/20 year old, but the tickets could've been 10k and I would've found a way to make it work. Took my younger brother to see Rooey tear the Pies to shreds in the QF;

Two weeks later - it was a special moment singing the club song from the G to Richmond station after the '09 prelim. Very special to be there to see Roo toepoke us into a granny. I just kept thinking "geez I wonder what dads thinking". He heard the front gate open when I got home and ran to the front door, grabbed and hugged me, both of us in tears (of joy lol). I remember him repeatedly saying to me that we were in a granny, we were in a granny. He couldn't believe it. My mum was over the moon. It was such a great feeling.

None of my mates wanted to fork out the $400 for GF tickets so I went by myself and sat on the wing level 1 for the '09 GF. Cried when David Bowie's "Heroes" came on before the first bounce, looking back on all the memories of our great footy club, the experiences I had with my dad, and that we were two hours from winning it all. Sadly when Chapman slotted that goal late I couldn't stomach it and left the ground, sat and cried in my hands on a park bench outside the G waiting for the final siren. Took the train home, empty feeling in the guts, silence in the house. Went upstairs and straight to bed.

2010 similar - only one willing to fork out the money for tickets so sat in the cheer squad for the GF. I was 20 years old, and the only time I ever truly thought we were going to be premiers when Goddard marked and goaled late. Had no idea if there was time on after the final siren but an announcement came over the PA and we had to go back the next week so I did. Instead of great seats in the cheer squad it was up in the nose bleeds for the replay - not a good omen. I stayed this time until the final siren and wondered if we'd ever get back there again.

A couple of years later dad passed away unexpectedly a few weeks before Round 1 in 2014. Even as he was on his death bed, we were talking about the Saints. He mentioned to me that hands down Lockett was the greatest he'd ever seen, and that he hopes I'm around for the next flag. We had a rocky relationship - he was a functioning alcoholic so the days that he was sober he was brilliant to be around but too frequently there were the days that he'd had a few too many and it would be tough to live through especially as a kid. Since his death I try and take the good from our relationship - we connected on many levels. He had me grow up on music from the 60's, 70's and 80's so naturally I fell in love with it, and the other thing that brought us closer together was our love for the Saints.

I spent hours upon hours at Moorabbin as a kid in the late 90's. Auskick clinics, open training. I had the club invite my local footy club to Moorabbin in 2004 for a tour of the facilities and a bit of a training run. Gehrig was a class act. Was on the dilapidated bench press (such was the quality of facilities back in those days) lifting 160kg - still is a club record today.

Some other nice memories I saw live were Roo's 300th with the family, and Roo's last game at a packed MCG. Spud's funeral at Moorabbin.

When we played the Hawks at Moorabbin in the pre-season a couple of years ago I went with my brother and stood on the outer wing where my dad used to watch us from - it was special to get back there and watch a game live.

Not sure what I'll be like the day we win a flag. Even the thought of us up on the dais makes me emotional. This is a very special football club to me and has been a huge part of my life. My connection to it runs deeper than just the colours and the history, as is the case for many I'd suspect.

I want us to do it for everyone who's suffered long enough, and for those that are no longer with us. We waited 93 years for the first, lets hope the second is just around the corner :thumbsu:

Saint-sational … a snapshot of some of the most loved St Kilda footballers across 150 years​

St Kilda is a club with a rich history, featuring some of the game’s greatest players. But in 150 years, who has been the greatest Saint? Have your say here.

Glenn McFarlane Glenn McFarlane
Follow
@MaccaHeraldSun

8 min read
March 31, 2023 - 8:04AM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
0 comments

41:34
A Friday night classic at the MCG + can North really be 3-0?

CODE Bet AFL Show - Round 3 of the 2023 AFL Season: best bets, player props and picks for every AFL game! The CODE Bet AFL show this week digs into every single game for the best player props, match bets and game picks, starting with the Bulldogs taking on the Lions and finishing up with Freo against the Eagles in the Western Derby. With all nine AFL games broken down and picked, there's everything you need for your AFL betting for the weekend ahead. CODE Bet's Jaymz Clements, Alex Donnelly and Liam 'Stats Guy' McAllion dive into betting tips for all the teams and players who will dominate in this week's AFL action.

AFL

Don't miss out on the headlines from AFL. Followed categories will be added to My News.
Follow
As St Kilda prepares to celebrate its 150th birthday, Glenn McFarlane looks at some of the most loved Saints who helped to steer the club through the good and the bad – and some of the well-known fans who have been there throughout the wild ride.
DARREL BALDOCK (1962-68, 119 games, 237 goals. Coach of the club in 62 games, 1987-89)
Enshrined as the Saints’ first – and so far only – premiership skipper, Baldock was a football genius who flashed like a comet across seven AFL seasons before returning to his native Tasmania. He later returned to coach the lowly Saints in the late 1980s.

IAN STEWART (1963-70, 127 games, 25 goals)
One of the most gifted footballers in the game’s history, Stewart won back-to-back Brownlow Medals in 1965 and ‘66 in one of the Saints’ best eras. It still tugs at the fans’ heart strings that a dispute saw him leave for Richmond in 1971 where he won a third Brownlow. Could he have made the difference – if he had stayed at St Kilda – in the 1971 grand final?
TONY LOCKETT (1983-94, 183 games, 898 goals)
A goal-kicking colossus who gave the Saints fans something to cheer for through the miserable 1980s and the more competitive early ‘90s before his shock move to Sydney. He won the Brownlow in 1987, making headlines for mostly good and sometimes bad reasons on and off the field. Kicked almost 900 of his record 1360 VFL-AFL goals in a St Kilda jumper. Could he have made a difference – if he had stayed with the Saints – in the 1997 grand final?

ROBERT HARVEY (1988-2008, 383 games, 215 goals)
No Saint has played as many games as the running machine who wore the No. 35 guernsey. A dual Brownlow Medal winner, four-time best-and-fairest winner and eight-time All-Australian, a flag was one of the few things that eluded him. Now back at the Saints to impart his wisdom to the next generation.

Who is St Kilda's greatest ever player?​

Lenny Hayes
Nick Riewoldt
Tony Lockett
Darrel Baldock
Ian Stewart
Danny Frawley
Robert Harvey
Other
Cast your vote

NICK RIEWOLDT (2001-17, 336 games, 718 goals)
Not only a superstar key forward but also a great leader who helped take the club to back-to-back grand finals in 2009 and 2010. A toe-poke and a bad bounce of the ball denied them of a flag or two. Won a club-record six best and fairests in a relatively successful era.

LENNY HAYES (1999-2014, 297 games, 95 goals)
St Kilda produced T-shirts for Lenny Hayes’ last game – emblazoned with ‘I love Lenny’ – which perfectly represented what the inspirational midfielder meant to his teammates and Saints’ fans. A three-time best and fairest and All-Australian, Hayes also won the Norm Smith Medal in the 2010 grand final draw, Like Harvey, he is back at Moorabbin.
NATHAN BURKE (1987-2003, 323 games, 124 goals)
Phil Narkle first fashioned helmets at St Kilda, but it was tough and tenacious midfielder Nathan Burke who took it to a new level. A team-first player, he always put the collective ahead of his own needs, Burke won three B&Fs and made four All-Australian teams.
TREVOR BARKER (1975-89, 230 games, 134 goals)
One of the most revered names in St Kilda’s history, the blond-haired Barker was a shining light during a decade and a half of gloom. He possessed a spectacular leap, dragging down countless mark of the week grabs. Stayed loyal to the Saints when he could so easily have left for more money or success. His death from cancer – at 39 – meant he sadly never got to coach the club which always seemed his destiny.

NEIL ROBERTS (1952-62, 169 games, 40 goals)
One of the Saints’ idols of the 1950s and early 60s, Roberts transformed from a sometimes inaccurate forward into one of the best defenders in the game. He won the 1958 Brownlow Medal as well as two club best and fairests. Played one final in 169 games, but was one of the Saints’ favourite sons, with his own son, Michael, also representing the club as well.
ALLAN JEANS (1955-59, 77 games, 26 goals. Coach of the club in 315 games, 1961-76)
His playing career was a modest one, but he coached the club across 16 seasons. He led St Kilda to its only flag in 1966 – beating Collingwood by a point – as well as into two more grand finals in 1965 and 1971. He later coached Hawthorn to three more flags.
ROSS SMITH (1961-72, ‘75, 234 games, 230 goals. Coached the club in 22 games, 1977)
Hard work and dedication saw the humble Ross Smith become one of the best rovers in the game. He was a member of the Saints’ 1966 flag, and won the Brownlow Medal in 1967. Made a comeback with the Saints in 1975 before coaching the club for a season in 1977.

CARL DITTERICH (1963-72, ‘76-78, 203 games, 156 goals)
One of the most feared ruckmen of his era, Ditterich was a ruthlessly tough competitor who made those playing alongside him walk taller. He was the hard-luck story of the 1966 premiership success, having been suspended in the penultimate game of the home and away season. The media-shy big man had two stints with St Kilda as well as Melbourne.
DANNY FRAWLEY (1984-95, 240 games, 13 goals)
Ever-reliable defender who was a heart-and-soul leader, captaining the club in 187 games. Won the 1988 best and fairest, the same year he was named in the All-Australian team. His deep affinity with the club and its fans was such that his family chose Moorabbin as the place for his funeral after his shock death in 2019.

BILL MOHR (1929-41, 195 games, 735 goals)
No lesser judge than Gordon Coventry rated St Kilda sharpshooter Bill Mohr as one of the best full-forwards he had ever seen. In a team that often struggled to kick a winning score, Mohr booted more than 700 goals in less than 200 games, and became the first Saint to reach the century in a season with 101 in 1936.
BARRY BREEN (1965-82, 300 games, 308 goals).
It almost seems a touch unfair given he played 300 games that Barry Breen is best remembered for one kick and one behind in one game. But his point in the dying moments of the 1966 grand final was the stuff of legends, winning the Saints their only flag. But Breen’s contribution to the club lasted almost 20 years after the most important kick of his career.
NICKY WINMAR (1987-1998, 230 games, 283 goals)
Winmar was one of the most spectacular players to represent St Kilda across 12 seasons. But among the many highlights was one of the most significant moments not only in the club’s history, but the game’s. He made a stand against racism at Victoria Park in 1993, which became the catalyst for change in the AFL in a fight that still exists three decades on.
KEVIN ‘COWBOY’ NEALE (1965-77, 256 goals, 301 goals)
The man known as ‘Cowboy’ due to his unusual gait was a tough and uncompromising footballer, whose passion for the club and relentless attack on the contest endeared himself to Saints fans. He was a member of the 1966 premiership side and he left Peter Hudson concussed in a key, controversial moment of the 1971 grand final.

STEWART LOEWE (1986-2002, 321 games, 594 goals)
They called him ‘Buckets’ for his enormous hands which became a weapon for the Saint considered one of the AFL’s best marks of his age. Formed a great relationship with Tony Lockett in attack and went on to make two All-Australian teams and improved his awkward kicking style which saw him end up kicking almost 600 goals.
VERDUN HOWELL (1958-1968, 159 games, 59 goals)
Another of the Saints’ famed 1966 premiership side, Howell became a champion defender for the club who was retrospectively awarded the 1959 Brownlow Medal, having originally lost the award on a countback to Bob Skilton. Always a much loved figure at the club.
FRASER GEHRIG (2001-08, 145 games, 390 goals)
The ‘G Train’ was stopping all stations in the early 2000s. Gehrig gave Saints fans a wild, rollicking ride which saw him win two Coleman Medals as well as kicking 103 goals in 2004. The former Eagles was adopted by his new club as he became a key spearhead for St Kilda who was unconventional off the field but almost unstoppable at his best on it.
STEPHEN MILNE (2001-13, 275 games, 574 goals)
Opposition fans loved to hate him, but that only made St Kilda barrackers cheer for him more. Milne was a thorn in opposition sides for more than a decade, making two All-Australian teams and winning the club’s goal kicking on four occasions. He was almost the hero of the 2010 grand final in the dying moments … until the ball bounced the wrong way for him – and for St Kilda.
—--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FAMOUS SAINTS FANS OVER THE YEARS
SHANE WARNE

Before he wanted to be a Test cricketer, Warney wanted to be a St Kilda footballer. He almost made it too, playing under 19s and reserves with the club. But his destiny was cricket and he would become one of the greatest players of all-time. He remained connected to the Saints throughout his life. His private funeral was held at the St Kilda Football Club last year, with two Saints scarfs adorning his coffin.

LINDSAY FOX
If it wasn’t for billionaire businessman and former Saints player Lindsay Fox, there might not have been a St Kilda Football Club in 2023. He played 20 games from 1959-61, but it was efforts off the field that helped save the Saints. He returned to the club as president in 1979 and helped the club through many financial storms including one that threatened to close up the doors.
ERIC BANA
St Kilda young gun Mattaes Phillipou confessed after last week’s victory that he didn’t know who Eric Bana was. You can bet your bottom dollar Bana knows who Mattaes is! The Hollywood actor who famously starred as Chopper among many other roles is a passionate Saints fan who is a regular visitor in the club’s change rooms.
MOLLY MELDRUM
Molly is technically still waiting to hear the final siren sound on his first Saints flag. He was there that famous day in 1966 as part of the St Kilda cheer-squad but fainted moments after Barry Breen kicked the matchwinning point in the dying minutes.

MICHAEL GUDINSKI
The late music executive and promoter was not only a passionate Saints fan, he served on the board as vice-president for a number of years. St Kilda players loved him (and not just because he often provided them with the best concert tickets). The club wore black armbands when he died in 2021.
ED SHEERAN
Michael Gudinski and Shane Warne “recruited” Ed Sheeran to become a St Kilda supporter, among the many global celebrities who were coaxed to follow the red, white and black. Sheeran has visited Moorabbin on a few occasions and recently sent the club a special 150th birthday greeting.

GRAHAM KENNEDY
Who were pallbearers at the funeral of Australian television icon Graham Kennedy in 2005? Full marks if you answered then Saints president Rod Butterss, coach Grant Thomas and players Nick Riewoldt, Aaron Hamill, Luke Ball and Fraser Gehrig. Kennedy may have been a reclusive star for much of his career, but he always loved the Saints.
GERRY RYAN
Hugely successful businessman and sports-lover who has served on the Saints’ board and has long been a passionate supporter of the club. Has always been willing to assist St Kilda.
ELLE MACPHERSON
The Saints staged a coup when they convinced one of the world’s best known and successful models in Elle Macpherson to become the club’s No. 1 female member in 1990. Not sure how closely she still follows the Saints to this day.

CHER
Another international superstar who was photographed in a St Kilda jumper during a promotional event in 1981 in an effort to boost the club’s membership campaign. She took a shine to Trevor Barker, the Saints’ most marketable and best player at the time.

More Coverage​

Why Clarko, Hawks are on separate Tassie flightsAFL great calls out double standards of Pearce banPressure gauge: How 0-2 teams can save their season
JANE BUNN
Channel 7’s weather expert Jane Bunn also doubles as a passionate St Kilda supporter, having been brought up around the bayside. She is often seen at Saints’ games.

Thankyou god, for Elle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back