Toast Celebrating 150 years

Remove this Banner Ad

I hadn't heard of this before...

1559965524974_c56ec51ee3e1d4a14a875ee0463e82c0.jpeg

I am really proud of the way the club has done the 150 years thing.

All week the focus has been this match. News articles everyday, Lead up to the game. The game itself, the season celebration.

It could have been really easy to fall into 150 years, 1 premiership schtick but it has really been a celebration of who we are and what we stand for. I've no doubt it will be a blueprint for what other clubs do.

Marketing team should take a bow. The St Kilda identity is alive and well and the win last night drove home what we are about. Backs against the wall in terms of injury, expectation from some quarters was for a let down, but we battled through and enhanced our standing.

Well done. Let's keep the momentum up.

On Pixel 6a using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's interesting to note that the St. Kilda club that formed in 1873 actually disbanded in 1880 and did not continue in any form.
The St. Kilda Alma FC wanted to become a senior club in 1885 and changed their name to St. Kilda.
St. Kilda Alma had existed as a junior club at the same time as the St. Kilda 1873-1880 club so were definitely a different unrelated club.
Therefore St. Kilda actually formed in 1885 and the club that existed 1873-1880 was a different one, just as the one that was around in 1859-1862 was also a different club.

It's interesting to note that the St. Kilda club that formed in 1873 actually disbanded in 1880 and did not continue in any form.
The St. Kilda Alma FC wanted to become a senior club in 1885 and changed their name to St. Kilda.
St. Kilda Alma had existed as a junior club at the same time as the St. Kilda 1873-1880 club so were definitely a different unrelated club.
Therefore St. Kilda actually formed in 1885 and the club that existed 1873-1880 was a different one, just as the one that was around in 1859-1862 was also a different club.
No we merged with multiple clubs from 1873 to 1888, including University, South Yarra, and finally Prahran. We played in the competition on and off from 1877-1885 before playing the next 10 years consecutively in the VFA and then accepting an invite to become a foundation club of the VFL in 1897.

There's been various football clubs in St.Kilda over time, and as far back as 1858.

No we merged with multiple clubs from 1873 to 1888, including University, South Yarra, and finally Prahran. We played in the competition on and off from 1877-1885 before playing the next 10 years consecutively in the VFA and then accepting an invite to become a foundation club of the VFL in 1897.

There's been various football clubs in St.Kilda over time, and as far back as 1858.
A St. Kilda club was formed out of South Yarra in 1873 and merged with University in 1875 but disbanded in 1880. (Prahran Telegraph July 24 1880)
The club that formed from the St. Kilda Alma in 1885 was a different club (The Age and The Argus March 16 1885). They merged with Prahran in 1888.
Those two clubs were not connected.
Your statement "We played in the competition on and off from 1877-1885" is factually incorrect from all the evidence I have ever seen. From 1877 until July 1880 it was still the original club. There was no club from July 1880 until the St. Kilda Alma club changed their name to St. Kilda in 1885. They were two separate clubs.
If you have any proof of St. Kilda continuing in any form from July 1880 until March 1885 then I would love to see it.
There were only a variety of junior clubs like St. Kilda Alma, St. Kilda Grosvenor, St. Kilda Esplanade etc, none of which were related to the St. Kilda club.

A St. Kilda club was formed out of South Yarra in 1873 and merged with University in 1875 but disbanded in 1880. (Prahran Telegraph July 24 1880)
The club that formed from the St. Kilda Alma in 1885 was a different club (The Age and The Argus March 16 1885). They merged with Prahran in 1888.
Those two clubs were not connected.
Your statement "We played in the competition on and off from 1877-1885" is factually incorrect from all the evidence I have ever seen. From 1877 until July 1880 it was still the original club. There was no club from July 1880 until the St. Kilda Alma club changed their name to St. Kilda in 1885. They were two separate clubs.
If you have any proof of St. Kilda continuing in any form from July 1880 until March 1885 then I would love to see it.
There were only a variety of junior clubs like St. Kilda Alma, St. Kilda Grosvenor, St. Kilda Esplanade etc, none of which were related to the St. Kilda club.
Do you have anything that states that the IP and history was transferred during the mergers and subsequent creation in 1885. This happens all the time in sport.

Do you have anything that states that the IP and history was transferred during the mergers and subsequent creation in 1885. This happens all the time in sport.
There was nothing reported that anything from the 1873-1880 club was ever transferred to any other club. It might happen these days but was very rare in the 1800s.

The St. Kilda FC AGMs, when mentioned by number sequence, have some of the following recorded:

Prahran Telegraph 10/4/1897 - 12th AGM

Prahran Telegraph 1/4/1899 - 14th AGM

Prahran Chronicle 14/4/1900 - 15th AGM

All these dates point to the St. Kilda club forming in 1885, which was recognised by the club at the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really do hope you are 150 years and love that you beat Essendon for your celebrations. I wouldn't want to poo on anything, just curious as to where the information comes from that links two separate clubs together.

You'd think that the club would know if they were completely separate identity.

I really do hope you are 150 years and love that you beat Essendon for your celebrations. I wouldn't want to poo on anything, just curious as to where the information comes from that links two separate clubs together.

the club has obviously made it all up and youve uncovered one of the greatest conspiracies ever.

So we get another 150 celebration in a few years? Awesome!

Can't say that I've ever heard of St Kilda Alma before. Interesting stuff.

And probably write off a quarter of our wooden spoons.

There was nothing reported that anything from the 1873-1880 club was ever transferred to any other club. It might happen these days but was very rare in the 1800s.

The St. Kilda FC AGMs, when mentioned by number sequence, have some of the following recorded:

Prahran Telegraph 10/4/1897 - 12th AGM

Prahran Telegraph 1/4/1899 - 14th AGM

Prahran Chronicle 14/4/1900 - 15th AGM

All these dates point to the St. Kilda club forming in 1885, which was recognised by the club at the time.
Thanks mate. I think I'll hand this over to sunny3193 . He was the accountant back in those days and could provide some clarity on this.

Thanks all!

You'd like to think so but as there is no evidence I would love to know what the club actually know to link the two clubs.

Contact them. Or Russell Holmesby.

You'd like to think so but as there is no evidence I would love to know what the club actually know to link the two clubs.

OK I can't hold it much longer, it's time we all told aussie80s the truth. Saturday's 150th celebration was the most elaborate April Fools prank of all time!! GOTCHA!!!! 70,000 were in on it, we even wheeled out Plugger just to add some more authenticity. You can rest easy now my friend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back