Celebrating HBF's 100k post. He is an ornament to big footy. The Casual Chat Thread

Which Pokemon Go team should you join?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheers mate

I am sorry about your folks, my own dad ****ed off when I was 7, and my mum did her best raising me and my brother by herself (she never remarried or had a de facto, my father was very abusive towards her, the campaigner) and i experienced a difficult childhood and youth and some pretty heavy stuff happened in that time which partly shaped the adult I am.

I love my Mum and appreciate her more as she gets older but she is also very negative and critical towards me and I find myself tending to prefer to lie and deceive her, rather than us getting into heated arguments and conflict.

I have been notorious for lying/being dishonest, from a very young age, not just to her, but teachers at school, friends, work colleagues etc, nothing really sinister, but I tend to try avoid confrontations/arguments, its been a form of dealing with stress or avoidance of personal responsibility.

I find it almost impossible to be completely honest and open with people, and i guess that's a reason why my previous relationships with my ex GFs were always bound to fail.

I probably need to see a therapist/shrink, but my fear is that I will be forced to open up/talk about issues that I don't really want to revisit again.

I've been to a shrink before. I had apprehensions as being a male, sharing my deepest feelings and thoughts are not a normal habit. But you need to know that these people don't judge you, nor do they tell you how to behave. They instead point you in the right direction and help give you a plan about how to deal with your issues. If you feel like you have problems and legitimately want to address them then you should chase it up. It will help you grow as a person, truly.

Last edited:
I've been to a shrink before. I had apprehensions as being a male, sharing my deepest feelings and thoughts are not a normal habit. But you need to know that these peoplease don't judge you, nor do they tell you how to behave. They instead point you in the right direction and help give you a plan about how to deal with your issues. If you feel like you have problems and legitimately want to address them then you should chase it up. It will help you grow as a person, truly.

Yeah, I think I do have to ASAP, my life's kinda gone off the rails the past few months (work issues and coping with personal bereavements and family probs too)

Appreciate the support mate.

I think cognitive behavioral therapy should be undertaken by almost everyone really.
I know if I were taught that kind of stuff in school I would be a lot more advanced through life than I am now.
Not all of us are privileged enough to grow up in a supporting family that positively impacts our lives with encouraging parents and I think it's really important for people to learn this stuff.

And that's probably as deep a post as you'll get out of me, even if this is the CC thread. So get ****ed.

campaigners.

I've gone to a counselor, psychologist and a psychiatrist.

It's good.

Except for the psychiatrist. He fell asleep at one of our sessions.

Avoid the British psychiatrist in Richmond. He's a campaigner.

I think cognitive behavioral therapy should be undertaken by almost everyone really.
I know if I were taught that kind of stuff in school I would be a lot more advanced through life than I am now.
Not all of us are privileged enough to grow up in a supporting family that positively impacts our lives with encouraging parents and I think it's really important for people to learn this stuff.

And that's probably as deep a post as you'll get out of me, even if this is the CC thread. So get stuffed.

campaigners.

Yeah true. Behavioural therapy is important I think. The only problem with CBT is that it constantly gets you to challenge and replace thoughts with better or more suitable ones. The issue with that is that the mind will throw up all sorts of thoughts and at any time and pace it sees fit. You can end up challenging thoughts all day!

A better approach is to recognise that thoughts aren't real and that they aren't who you are. This leads to the practice of mindfulness which is about seeing your thoughts are passing through and nothing else. Really, thoughts are just visitors.

With that said, changing irrational, unhealthy behaviours does require behavioural therapy to rewire new patterns into your brain. However, this in my mind is only truly supported by the practice of seeing thoughts as nothing more than thoughts.

The Socceroos haven't played in Perth for about 10 years and when they finally do we get the Bangladesh blockbuster.

The FFA can GAGF.
Agreed and they also go on strike and don't go to their own meet and greets. GAGF Indeed.

Yeah true. Behavioural therapy is important I think. The only problem with CBT is that it constantly gets you to challenge and replace thoughts with better or more suitable ones. The issue with that is that the mind will throw up all sorts of thoughts and at any time and pace it sees fit. You can end up challenging thoughts all day!

A better approach is to recognise that thoughts aren't real and that they aren't who you are. This leads to the practice of mindfulness which is about seeing your thoughts are passing through and nothing else. Really, thoughts are just visitors.

With that said, changing irrational, unhealthy behaviours does require behavioural therapy to rewire new patterns into your brain. However, this in my mind is only truly supported by the practice of seeing thoughts as nothing more than thoughts.

Okay, I think?

CBT doesn't need to be practiced every waking hour, for every fleeting thought but it is a great coping mechanism.

I'm not sure about thoughts not being real. Why aren't they real? Because we can't see or touch them? If they're not, how are able to verbalise them, what are we doing when we communicate? To me this means thoughts are real and can be incredibly powerful.

But yes, perspective is key and I think that's what CBT is primarily based upon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been playing so much Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 lately. I'm the best. Haven't worked up enough cash to buy specials (been spending money on regular tricks) so I always forget my button combo for the Kickflip McTwist because it's the only one I have.

Cheers mate

I am sorry about your folks, my own dad ****ed off when I was 7, and my mum did her best raising me and my brother by herself (she never remarried or had a de facto, my father was very abusive towards her, the campaigner) and i experienced a difficult childhood and youth and some pretty heavy stuff happened in that time which partly shaped the adult I am.

I love my Mum and appreciate her more as she gets older but she is also very negative and critical towards me and I find myself tending to prefer to lie and deceive her, rather than us getting into heated arguments and conflict.

I have been notorious for lying/being dishonest, from a very young age, not just to her, but teachers at school, friends, work colleagues etc, nothing really sinister, but I tend to try avoid confrontations/arguments, its been a form of dealing with stress or avoidance of personal responsibility.

I find it almost impossible to be completely honest and open with people, and i guess that's a reason why my previous relationships with my ex GFs were always bound to fail.

I probably need to see a therapist/shrink, but my fear is that I will be forced to open up/talk about issues that I don't really want to revisit again.
What's your relationship with your dad like now?

I've been playing so much Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 lately. I'm the best. Haven't worked up enough cash to buy specials (been spending money on regular tricks) so I always forget my button combo for the Kickflip McTwist because it's the only one I have.

K

So many meltdowns on twitter right now over Tom Brady's suspension being quashed by a federal judge :D

I used to thrash that game on my old PlayStation 1. Memories.

Should be packing, instead I'm procrastinating. Send motivation or entertain me so I don't have to think about it :rainbow:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back