Preview Changes and discussion vs Blues round 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeah maybe just a rest for Hunter, haven't really thought he looks like he needs one though. I guess we have in the past and will continue to manage our young players game time. Think its harsh on Tutt too, especially considering how Macca spoke about him after the game. Very very happy with the ins though!

Hunter omitted o_O. Also pretty harsh on Tutty.

Get used to it folks. We are getting to that point where the 23rd 24th and 25th men are unlucky to not be selected, rather than the 20th 21st and 22nd men being lucky to be selected. When Smith returns, the squeeze will be on even harder.

This is fantastic, and hopefully over the next few months our gameplay reflects that competition for places.

Would suggest Hunter's just having a rest.
Tutt stiff to miss out, McCartney seemed happy with him post-game.

Thrilled Bontempelli is making his debut, I was initially sceptical of his selection with pick 4 but after watching him during the preseason and in the VFL, and speaking to him, I think we've made an outstanding call. Hope he can make a big impact.

hunter wow i thougt he was playing alright but bonti good for him think cramma and jones should have good days with no Jamison

I can't remember the last time I was so excited for a players debut, can't wait to see him play.
I've missed a few over the last couple of years - Stringer and Macrae debuted together in Adelaide, I missed Hrovat's debut against St Kilda, and Hunter's debut against Richmond wasn't too memorable.

Probably Clay Smith was the last I was really pumped to see debut, and wasn't the faith justified in that first game! But over the top pumped to see the Bonts in action on Sunday.

Carlton have named a very rebound-centric backline. Not a lot of defensively strong players there. Tuohy, Thomas, Gibbs, Everitt, Rowe and Henderson named on the field, Buckley on the bench will go back there as well.

Could be a good game for our smalls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Picken Williams Young
Murphy Talia Wood
Stevens Libba Macrae
Cooney Jones Higgins
Dahlhaus Crameri Stringer

Minson, Griffen, Wallis

Jong, Boyd, Bontempelli | Gia

Carlton have named a very rebound-centric backline. Not a lot of defensively strong players there. Tuohy, Thomas, Gibbs, Everitt, Rowe and Henderson named on the field, Buckley on the bench will go back there as well.

Could be a good game for talls and smalls, with the formline of Jones and Crameri and the absence of Jamison. Just need the delivery to be good, hopefully it clicks for Griff this week after a tough few rounds.

Could be a good game for talls and smalls, with the formline of Jones and Crameri and the absence of Jamison. Just need the delivery to be good, hopefully it clicks for Griff this week after a tough few rounds.
Henderson has ended up being quite a good player, so Jones is likely to have a tough time on him. Whoever is on Rowe could exploit him though.
Pretty surprised they didn't bring in Watson. Could have allowed Henderson to go up forward and stretch our already thin backline.

Tutt's omission is not the sort of message we need to be sending players of his ilk. "You played really well, now you just need to do what you did consistently...oh but you're not playing next week. Tough luck." Don't like it to be honest.

Henderson has ended up being quite a good player, so Jones is likely to have a tough time on him. Whoever is on Rowe could exploit him though.
Pretty surprised they didn't bring in Watson. Could have allowed Henderson to go up forward and stretch our already thin backline.

Also thought it was silly that Watson wasn't in the side as well. Everitt will have to go to Crameri or Stringer whilst Rowe takes the other. When the ball hits the ground though Rowe will have virtually no impact, just to slow and poor below his knees. Henderson ain't that fast either. Roughy murdered him last year because he couldn't get that space on him. Chances are jones will though.

Really happy with the structure of our talls in both the forward and backline. Williams preferably will have to chop out for minno, but talia and Young can still cover Casiboult and Waite I think. Wood if needed to cover henderson if he pushes forward but that will leave Carlton very short down back.

Pretty bloody excited to see Bonts to debut hope he has a big impact. Plenty of midfield depth in this side. Murphy might be able to push forward more also, win win!

Hahah really? so you didn't have a clue? The official sites of all clubs always talk up their players no matter what.

But I bet you knew that because you are such a good judge.
In the hypothetical scenario he was doing well in the reserves and didn't get selected, as per what the official site suggested, then I'd stand by my point.

In the hypothetical scenario he wasn't doing that well in the reserves, then we'll see what happens.

I'm just offering my opinion on the scenario that suggests he was playing well in the VFL & didn't get selected, squirt.

Last edited:
Im comfortable with the hunter thing. 2 interstate trips, short breaks. Tough start for a young fella and I think he was just starting to show signs of slowing down. Better to jump a week early with these kids.

Tutt is unlucky, but it does sound like the big bonts has just forced his way in.

The matchups will be interesting for sure. Reckon we'll see Gibbs go to Griffen since he is playing a lot forward. Simpson will play back instead of Thomas but it will be interesting whether Walker plays forward or back. You'd think he is needed more up forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back