Prediction Changes: Round 3 Vs West Coast Eagles + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Also will Brodie is not as much of a lock as many might think.

Most with a clue noticed 10 games out from last season he was slowing down. It's a shame the full-season and another pre-season didn't really help his body adjust because he's started where he left off in 2022. He is an extraction maestro but he's been figured out.

Whoever extended him should be sacked also. Careless.

It’s been posted on here before, but we’ve got highly rated youngsters in the shed not playing senior footy when they really should be. Other teams who were either touted to challenge the flag prior to the season or have started the season well haven’t shyed away from giving their high draft picks a crack, so why haven’t we?

Brisbane -> Ashcroft, straight into the guts.
Carlton -> Hollands, 89% game time, Cowan.
North -> Sheezel - freak.
Saints -> Phillipou, 3 goals against the dogs, Caminiti.

We have very highly rated young players in Raz and Johnno who were drafted a year before all these guys not getting experience playing at the highest level. I’m not saying games should be gifted, but they should absolutely be tried at the highest level to notch some games under their belt, just as we did with Brayshaw, Serong, Cerra, Chappy, NoD and Young. How good was it to have unearthed O’Driscoll last year as an attacking winger? He was a revelation and not many of us would have expected it coming.

Along with Sturt - Raz and Johnno should at the very least be getting a chance to establish themselves in our team, especially with the tripe we’ve dished up these first two weeks.
Can’t fathom selecting Banfield. That’s done. * foot solider or pressure, he’s ******* useless. Sturt has to come in, build the AFL Base. Banfield runs around headless and can’t make decisions in close

Most with a clue noticed 10 games out from last season he was slowing down. It's a shame the full-season and another pre-season didn't really help his body adjust because he's started where he left off in 2022. He is an extraction maestro but he's been figured out.

Which Round was 10 games out from last season?

Last edited:

I can tell you, that the people that matter don’t think either are ready. Also will Brodie is not as much of a lock as many might think.
The whole side isn’t ready either as evidenced by half the bulldogs final and the whole pies final, and now how we’ve started this season with the same issues

When do we slip back into development mode? At 2-6?

Starting to get concerned they might be busts if this is true.
This is a bottom 6 midfield we have right now and two players taken 18 months ago in the first round still can’t get a look in?
Alarm bells if you ask me.
How would we know, if they don’t get a chance?
Erasmus doesn’t hold back, and has some mongrel, for me that’s a start.
Clubs take a risk with most 19 year olds. How else do you get experience?
50 AFL games is where you see if they are a bust.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Erasmus was given games last year and was pretty average TBH
Lots of turnovers

Saw a bit of his WAFL work , not mind blowing , I don’t think he’s ready , either that or he was overhyped .
Haven’t seen much of Johnson

I was talking about our game on the North forum and mentioned we got completely rogered in the midfield last time we played, just the massive size and power of the Freo midfield last year and you still had Erasmus and O'Driscoll playing in that game.

Mundy retiring, Acres moving and us getting back Cunnington and playing Zurhaar in the middle for us and Powell put on 6kg of muscle over the pre-season and the dynamic shifted, we went from 29 vs 47 clearances last year to 45 vs 30, it was a massive turnaround. There is a lot more pressure on Brayshaw and Serong now, a huge load to carry and I think you need to fast track players like Erasmus and O'Driscoll.

I think Erasmus was talking during the pre-season on maybe playing wing more with Acres gone but the kid is quality, top 10 pick. If he is not going to get games another club will approach him. You can't play everyone and players have to earn their spots but I think the really successful sides strike a right balance between having a high standard with a mature team but still provide the opportunity to blood their higher quality younger players.

Can’t fathom selecting Banfield. That’s done. * foot solider or pressure, he’s ******* useless. Sturt has to come in, build the AFL Base. Banfield runs around headless and can’t make decisions in close

His parents sponsor the club...

IN: Walters - Add Class
Sturt - Class
Johnson - Skills, size. He can start on the wing instead of Hughes
NOD - Better wing than Henry, plus his goal kicking is very handy

Out:

Banfield - Should not near the AFL side
Taberner - Not sure what is up with him this year, struggling to run out games.
Henry - He is too outside, not to have elite skills
Hughes - Need more attack. Not more defense

That’s premature.
I'd be inclined to bring Walters in and make Freddy the sub....his pace would be useful, all fresh later in the game when everyone is tired
that might also be why Sonny was so effective when he did come on

I was talking about our game on the North forum and mentioned we got completely rogered in the midfield last time we played, just the massive size and power of the Freo midfield last year and you still had Erasmus and O'Driscoll playing in that game.

Mundy retiring, Acres moving and us getting back Cunnington and playing Zurhaar in the middle for us and Powell put on 6kg of muscle over the pre-season and the dynamic shifted, we went from 29 vs 47 clearances last year to 45 vs 30, it was a massive turnaround. There is a lot more pressure on Brayshaw and Serong now, a huge load to carry and I think you need to fast track players like Erasmus and O'Driscoll.

I think Erasmus was talking during the pre-season on maybe playing wing more with Acres gone but the kid is quality, top 10 pick. If he is not going to get games another club will approach him. You can't play everyone and players have to earn their spots but I think the really successful sides strike a right balance between having a high standard with a mature team but still provide the opportunity to blood their higher quality younger players.

Agree with you on almost everything. But the one thing people don't realise is how young our side is. We are not a mature side. North are considered a very young and building side, and they were significantly more experienced than Freo on the weekend.

Our list/age profile is on par with teams expected to finish bottom 6. The brass is clearly scared to inject even more youth into our side, as all the players the supporters want in would make us the youngest and most inexperienced team in the competition. But I think we need to bite the bullet and stop thinking about where we finish in the next couple of years. If only the powers that be could have thought about that when trading out a king's ransom for Jackson.

View attachment 1641156This article says it all. Fix the rot now it’s only round 2 and can be addressed. If we continue our poor defensive zoning crap and don’t play an attacking style of footy we are an embarrassment. Pull your head in coaching panel.
King is a terrible analyst. Even given whatever kernels of truth he might stumble upon, he's remains all hot takes and Champion Data.

Just last week with the one fetid breath he's criticising Longmuir, essentially saying how can fast and slow plays be compatible? Then in the next rancid exhale he's got the sploosh on about Collingwood's fast/slow game style. This kind of 180 turnaround, depending on who or what he's talking about, is something he does all the time.

He's fully invested in his favourites, hobby horses, and preciousness with no self-awareness. He only gave up being an unabashed Adam Simpson fluffer 3/4s of the way through last year, where even his biased crust couldn't remain impervious to the derision he was getting.

I am sure there is someone somewhere who thinks that a 1 point loss means that we only need to make minimal changes. Grrrr.

That said if I could only make one change it would be;
  • NOD in
  • Either Hughes or Banfield out.
Then reposition.
  • Walters from sub to named
  • Whoever remains from Hughes or Banfield to the Sub role
What I want is much more agressive. I just don't trust the match committee/JL to be aggressive.

King is a terrible analyst. Even given whatever kernels of truth he might stumble upon, he's remains all hot takes and Champion Data.

Just last week with the one fetid breath he's criticising Longmuir, essentially saying how can fast and slow plays be compatible? Then in the next rancid exhale he's got the sploosh on about Collingwood's fast/slow game style. This kind of 180 turnaround, depending on who or what he's talking about, is something he does all the time.

He's fully invested in his favourites, hobby horses, and preciousness with no self-awareness. He only gave up being an unabashed Adam Simpson fluffer 3/4s of the way through last year, where even his biased crust couldn't remain impervious to the derision he was getting.
Agree totally. We do play fast often, just not always. Our biggest problem is on the occasions we are forced down the line we lose 90% of the contests. Knowing that we try to chip it around looking for a free player.

It's a shame the WAFL hasn't really started

The VFL started in sync with the AFL. Our secondary/reserves competition not being in full swing at the same time as the league is a pretty significant disadvantage.

It makes it very hard to make a case for selection when you're not playing in the second tier competition, likewise, it makes it difficult to get dropped when you need some form, because there is nowhere to get that form other than remaining in the side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back