Changing the Original Lions Guernsey/Clash Jumper Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it part of the deal that the Lion needs to be yellow? I've always wondered why Brisbane don't use something like so (excuse the quick MSPaint bodge, and ignore the traces of blue) as a clash jumper:

UoIej.jpg

Homage to the Bears while keeping the Lion, and with no need for a bland white effort.

Some people will never be happy.

Rather than painting everyone who disagrees with you as irrational, maybe consider that some people's preferences just vary. Looking through the posts in this thread I'm the only one that's not liked it on here and it's purely a matter of personal taste (I really don't like that layout on a guernsey).

We probably would love to use something like that, but we MUST have a mainly white clash strip.

A couple of clubs at least (Essendon and Richmond) appear to be exempt from having to have a predominantly white clash strip. I'd certainly prefer the Lions' "light" uniform to be predominantly gold.

Is it part of the deal that the Lion needs to be yellow? I've always wondered why Brisbane don't use something like so (excuse the quick MSPaint bodge, and ignore the traces of blue) as a clash jumper:

UoIej.jpg

Homage to the Bears while keeping the Lion, and with no need for a bland white effort.

Deirdre, send this guy the standard "we tried to have this design approved but AFL said no" form letter.

Should be a couple left from the original 500 we printed.

we tried to have this design approved but AFL said no
Ridiculous, but sadly predictable.

A couple of clubs at least (Essendon and Richmond) appear to be exempt from having to have a predominantly white clash strip.
Even then Essendon still cop it - red is out as a "dark" colour, yet somehow that putrid grey counts as light, as does red for both Brisbane and the Bulldogs.

Ridiculous, but sadly predictable.

Even then Essendon still cop it - red is out as a "dark" colour, yet somehow that putrid grey counts as light, as does red for both Brisbane and the Bulldogs.
I don't get the bolded bit.
The red doesn't count as light for either.
Our red, (both lions and dogs) is the away strip, not clash. Both have a white guernsey as a clash strip.

I don't get the bolded bit.
The red doesn't count as light for either.
Our red, (both lions and dogs) is the away strip, not clash. Both have a white guernsey as a clash strip.
The logic (and I use the term loosely) behind the grey Essendon strip is that a predominantly red strip is not substantively different from the traditional black strip, because both are dark colours, and would still clash with Richmond, Melbourne, Port Adelaide and St Kilda.

555447-afl-essendon-lions.jpg

If a red strip is light enough for Brisbane to play against a team in red and black, then a red strip is light enough for Essendon to play against a team in navy and red, black and yellow, black and teal, and even black, white and red.

Hell, toss this one in too:

395915-ben-howlett.jpg

That's enough of me derailing your thread though. The battle is lost and all that can be hoped for is a better design down the track. Best of luck talking the clowns at head office into a sensible clash scheme for yourselves.

Last edited:
Think I have to mark this the best clash jumper since we had to introduce them in 2014.

Traditional back ground, yes.

Happy to play in grand final in, yes.

Does job required, yes.

I thought there may have been an outline around the lion to make it stand out more, but lets try it without and see how it looks, lets remember a still shot on release day looks alot different to 18 guys running around in match conditions. If the Lion doesn't look right, or can't be seen enough, sure the AFL will let us add a maroon outline around it for 2016.

For the first time since 2006 we have 3 quality jumpers to wear in matches.

I was more than happy to let the club use the clash as a jumper for their marketing to the kids, but I think with this they have set us up to become a well respected club on the field (Uniform wise anyway:))

Was at the physio at the gabba so dropped into the lions shop. The clash guernsey definitely looks better in person that's for sure. The lion is much brighter gold than that photo. Its very pronounced on top of the white while the photo was very washed out. Also grabbed myself one ofe those awesome bbffc t-shirts leppa was wearing the other day. Look great

Personally..... (keeping the positives and negatives in as basic form as possible)

We've now got three absolutely fantastic jumpers. I 'like' them all

Last year, we had none that were none that I 'liked'. In 2015 we'll have three fantastic jumpers, and I 'like' them all.

I doubt anyone can say that none of the 2015 jumpers are any good. I think its safe to say that most people will at least 'like' two of them, even if they're not so sold on the clash jumper revealed today.

How good is that compared to 2009-2014?

To me, its an awesome step forward.

As to this clash jumper - my reasons for liking it are as follows:
a) we've ticked the AFL's ridiculous box for most clubs that the guernsey must feature predominantly white.
b) The now traditional and accepted 'Brisbane Lion' (with it origins in the Fitzroy Lion) are on the front, as per our standard home and away jumper. I like that consistency.
c) Our colors - maroon, blue, gold, are prominant, even though its a white clash jumper
d) there is a nod to history here

For me, the dark days of the Paddlepop and the Piss Stain are gone. They should be gone forever.

Well done to the Club. I'm personally a very proud Lion again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The one posted on the lions Facebook page this morning seems to look a bit nicer. In terms of the lion at least, similar to what fat cat said

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415578976.140229.jpg

Yeah, does seem bolder compared to yesterday's;

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415579085.000728.jpg

I was slightly concerned, but now I'm not. The more and more I've seen it as I've scrolled through this thread, the more I've started to like it. That Rich pic has just sealed it, I love it. Easily our best clash strip ever. Good job whoever designed this one.

Yeah bolder here as well. It's growing on me.

View attachment 91584

The girls filming that came into the shop to do pick up that Guernsey on the way to yeronga. That's how I managed to see it. Was hanging out for them to take. Looks good i reckon

Am I allowed to not like it? I think with solid maroon at the top, and then solid white at the bottom, and then solid white pants, it just looks odd - the whites run on too much, and since it's not primarily white like the adelaide's new one, I just don't think it works. In daylight games, the lion won't work either. Yellow on white wasn't a good choice. If only we could get them to play under carefully controlled photo studio lighting like Rich is in in the shot above...

Even if you didn't like the paddlepop, at least with the white on top and the maroon below, it broke it up nicely.

I can understand why they did it this way, same as I can understand the reasoning for the paddlepop and bringing back the old Fitzroy lion, but I don't overly like any of them... Ah well - maybe sometime down the track the club will have a jersey I like... I doubt it, but I can always hope...

Am I allowed to not like it? I think with solid maroon at the top, and then solid white at the bottom, and then solid white pants, it just looks odd - the whites run on too much, and since it's not primarily white like the adelaide's new one, I just don't think it works. In daylight games, the lion won't work either. Yellow on white wasn't a good choice. If only we could get them to play under carefully controlled photo studio lighting like Rich is in in the shot above...

Even if you didn't like the paddlepop, at least with the white on top and the maroon below, it broke it up nicely.

I can understand why they did it this way, same as I can understand the reasoning for the paddlepop and bringing back the old Fitzroy lion, but I don't overly like any of them... Ah well - maybe sometime down the track the club will have a jersey I like... I doubt it, but I can always hope...

Totally - you hinted at a like but then sadly closed with a "I don't overly like any of them... Ah well - maybe sometime down the track the club will have a jersey I like... I doubt it, but I can always hope..."

I'm a bit of a soft c**k, as Blighty once said I actually couldn't give a rats tossbag if the club decided to play in maroon and blue polka-dots, again, that's just my opinion, each to their own hey? But it must be pretty easy to sit back and club the clubs jumpers, how about you jump on the front foot and offer us some suggestions of what you might consider a reasonable strip? I'm sure there would be many here that might be interested in your opinion... from this angle.

No claw marks or pass stains - sonIamdisappoint/10.

Today I can safely say I love it. The original photo of Close and Mayes probably showed it at its worst with the poor lighting, however it's won me over quite easily now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back