Mega Thread Coaching Staff Pickups

Remove this Banner Ad

Bomber is no chance to stay at EFC - he all but said at the B&F he can only stay if as senior coach

In that case, they have 4 people with senior coaching experience working together, while we only have 2 plus a number of development coaches.

I would expect us to have a better development program for our youngsters with more interaction with young players. I tend to think our system might be superior, since you only need 1-2 great coaches to set the vision/strategy/direction, and then a larger team to implement and teach those values/skills to the players. The extended team only need limited skills compared to a senior coach.

Hardwick is a great man-manager and has great life values. He's a competent tactician, and improving, but not a genius. Chocco's role is development, which gives us a great development team. I think we're relying on Hardwick and Ross Smith for tactics.

We're one great tactician away from having an ideal setup IMO. Ironically, Terry Wallace would fit the bill :straining:

In that case, they have 4 people with senior coaching experience working together, while we only have 2 plus a number of development coaches.

I would expect us to have a better development program for our youngsters with more interaction with young players. I tend to think our system might be superior, since you only need 1-2 great coaches to set the vision/strategy/direction, and then a larger team to implement and teach those values/skills to the players. The extended team only need limited skills compared to a senior coach.

Hardwick is a great man-manager and has great life values. He's a competent tactician, and improving, but not a genius. Chocco's role is development, which gives us a great development team. I think we're relying on Hardwick and Ross Smith for tactics.

We're one great tactician away from having an ideal setup IMO. Ironically, Terry Wallace would fit the bill :straining:

Firstly you have to look at their roles. Harvey is an assistant, Neeld is a development guy. Basically Harvey in coming in for Bomber and Goodwin (who they have also lost to the Dees)

Neeld is an interesting one, because they already have Craig heading up development and strategy. I don't know the details of the roles, but I believe in the post PED structure Craig is getting a lot more power at the club.

Also don't discount a big part of the reason for getting Harvey in is potential step up if the players are suspended and Hird moves on (one way or the other).

Just like the players they picked up in trade week, I think a lot of efc's coaching moves are in preparation of suspensions

So you don't think Choco( or any other coach for that matter) puts his ideas up at match committee, because I think that is folly?

We're one great tactician away from having an ideal setup IMO. Ironically, Terry Wallace would fit the bill :straining:[/QUOTE]

Totally agree, Wallet was one of the great tacticians and the inventor of the flood, he was also a visionary for the run and carry game, his issue was he couldn't build or develop a list...
Would be a great match day tactician though

Would like to get Matty Knights back at the club as we'llwe'll

So what's going on with our coaching panel? Surely we're not content to lose 3 in the last year and replace them with 1.
I agree with the idea but its not exactly a fair statement. We added more development coaches last year(2), whilst losing Leppa as a line coach. Cambo wasn't a coach, more an administrator for the VFL in his last year. We have replace Leppa now(Rutten), but have lost Daly. I guess that is your point, but hopefully we can replace him soon. We tried to get Hayes over the line but didn't happen and maybe we are waiting till next year to see if we can get who want(see Rutten). We do need to replace some of the lower level coaches for better quality which is of course your point too.

I agree with the idea but its not exactly a fair statement. We added more development coaches last year(2), whilst losing Leppa as a line coach. Cambo wasn't a coach, more an administrator for the VFL in his last year. We have replace Leppa now(Rutten), but have lost Daly. I guess that is your point, but hopefully we can replace him soon. We tried to get Hayes over the line but didn't happen and maybe we are waiting till next year to see if we can get who want(see Rutten). We do need to replace some of the lower level coaches for better quality which is of course your point too.

Disappointed that we didn't have a crack at Voss. He would have been great for our midfield. Spewing that he landed at Port. They are a genuine chance at the flag next year.

Disappointed that we didn't have a crack at Voss. He would have been great for our midfield. Spewing that he landed at Port. They are a genuine chance at the flag next year.
We don't know if we did or not frankly. Maybe we did but couldn't get him to commit? Maybe Port offered a huge contract? Either way they did and good luck to them. I do agree I would've liked him at our club.

Port also lost a senior assistant to the Adelaide head coaching job so they probably offered him a much bigger contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were at the stage of needing to improve. But instead went backwards. The money we have to improve football department went where exactly?

Buying cheap coaches to look after mainly players not on our list?

It's a farce.

We were at the stage of needing to improve. But instead went backwards. The money we have to improve football department went where exactly?

Buying cheap coaches to look after mainly players not on our list?

It's a farce.
I agree we need more spending but we don't know of the particulars either. We may have made approaches to good senior types but couldn't sign them, or others where contracted that we like. I personally think we don't have zero IP, but could have more. I think we are grooming recent retirees as the dogs bodies, and the replacing the Mellors/Williams of this world with parachuted senior types soon, when they come available.

sure itd be nice to get a 'name' in that provides a ton of experience. itd be even better to get a good forward line coach in that can make us kick more that 65 points a week.

in reality (as much as I bag our forward coach) there is some talent in our panel. they adjusted from a horrible start to go 9-0 there's some intelligence there to work with and improve upon.

12 months to replace leppa ( with a newb )

Wonder how many seasons it will take to replace Daly? Will probably be replaced by Sam Lloyd when he retires.

Rule out McCartney if the rumours i hear about him being an alcoholic are true

Hasn't he already been picked up ? Or am I hallucinating a dream ??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back