Collingwood dynasty circa 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a squad that has just gone back to back without much individual fanfare. If anything they are underrated. They have proven themselves to be capable and will rightly be rated as one of the better sides of the AFL era.

Collingwood is the next big thing that never happened. 2011 they looked excellent but I think Geelong hit their straps at the right time and the Pies didn't for whatever reason.
Behind every great side is a great coach who extracts the maximum from those on the fringes.

The idea that 2010-11 Collingwood were unusual because their coach made them better than they were is a furphy. Every single premiership side is made great by a great coach.

The irony of this coming from a West Coast fan is hilarious.

Your Ruck-Mid combo of Cox-Judd-Cousins-Kerr is probably the best I have seen in my footy-watching lifetime... and yet you only got 1 flag out of that lot, and very quickly fell from grace- and your club hasn't recovered.

Yes us Collingwood fans would've expected/wanted more than 1 flag from the 2010 group, but a lot changed over that time, much of which the club didn't have much control over. The Bucks-Malthouse argument has been made to death and I see no point people bringing it up again. All I will say is that if we hadn't lost all of our key assistant coaches to other clubs, and/or if Malthouse fulfilled his part of the contract that he had signed and agreed to - that the transition would've gone a lot smoother.

Also, and I have posted this multiple times on this board - it is rare for a team to stay in the 8 for 4 years after a flag. Since 2000, only Geelong has done it. There is just so much that can happen over that period.

Not a good attitude or character trait to be satisfied winning one.

Says the fan of the team who fell out of the 8 straight after winning their first for 20 years.
---

I agree it was a problem - and I agree that it something that had to be dealt with - all premiership clubs have to deal with it - some do it much better than others. We were far from the worst. It is something that I don't think the players did particularly well under Malthouse in the latter part of 2011, and I think Bucks had a lot of that attitude to try and weed out of the club.

Says the fan of the team who fell out of the 8 straight after winning their first for 20 years.
---

I agree it was a problem - and I agree that it something that had to be dealt with - all premiership clubs have to deal with it - some do it much better than others. We were far from the worst. It is something that I don't think the players did particularly well under Malthouse in the latter part of 2011, and I think Bucks had a lot of that attitude to try and weed out of the club.
No need to get defensive, was just saying that excuse shouldn't be acceptable. So many players would do all they can to win one, having the chance to win multiple shouldn't be brushed aside.

Our core players used 2009 as a lesson for this year.

Every premiership list is 'overrated'.

Take Clarkson out of Hawthorn and half your players would be ordinary.

Take Malthouse out of Collingwood

oh wait...

Serious post.

2011 was derailed by Malthouse crying in the media, Trav's contract negotiations, Geelong working out our gameplan, we stole a prelim off the Hawks, and a few players appeared to have been satisfied with winning in 2010. 2012 injuries to key personnel didn't help, as well as Bucks trying to implement "his" team which no doubt got a few noses out of joints.

The following people I reckon were gone to early

- Leon (but he was planning to retire, hit good form and wanted to hang around, but the money had been allocated by then)
- Heater (but his off-field disruptions were allegedly as bad as his on-field brain fades)
- Ball (reckon he could go again in 2015)

Dawes / Wellingham / Daisy etc all didn't want to hang around for various reason - all form shown by them so far doesn't make me miss them at all. Jolly was finished, as much as he doesn't realise it. Didak probably could have got another season as a "super sub"

We've also had a bad injury run for the past 3 seasons which doesn't help. Throw in rule changes, specifically around subs/limit on interchange, which the gameplan was moulded around, and our fitness has looked suspect.

Still should have won 2011 though.

Why these guys were good because together they form a team and complement each other, alone they're crap.

Behind every great side is a great coach who extracts the maximum from those on the fringes.

The idea that 2010-11 Collingwood were unusual because their coach made them better than they were is a furphy. Every single premiership side is made great by a great coach.
I said for years that Collingwood's list was under rated and it's coach over rated and I still maintain that. Malthouse was a good coach. He's certainly no messiah though. The 2010 and 2011 lists were first class, particularly in the class, skill set spread and depth in the midfield with quality midfielders that were very good forward and back. I actually think Malthouse was as much a part of not winning the 2011 GF as anyone, particularly leaving a lame Reid on Hawkins when he had a perfectly suited Tarrant to call on and JPod off the ground injured. In fact playing Reid after the BS about not playing injured player and the Presti/Fasolo pulling out fanfare. MM didn't learn from 2002 and Molloy.

Anyway, point is, 2010 was won becuase Collingwood had the best side in the comp and 2011 could have gone the other way and everyone would have said the best side won. Buckley coached a good side well in 2012 but a few things went against Collingwood with a couple of injuries and the funeral leading into te prelim. It would have been very difficult v Hawthorn in the GF in any case.

What happened from there is up for debate. My personal view is the culture change mantra has been an unmitigated disaster and leading teams was the wrong direction for the wrong group at the wrong time.

So why was that premiership coach given the flick?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So why was that premiership coach given the flick?

He wasn't given the flick.
In 2009 - he had agreed to a transition program that would've allowed to remain at the club and maintain an active role within the club and it's coaching structure, whilst being able to step back from the day to day responsibilities/stressors of being a senior coach - something that he had come out and stated he wanted to do for his own health and family reasons.
After winning the flag in 2010, he obviously had a change of heart - and used the next 12 months to undermine and destabilise the club, and was as big a factor as any in us losing the 2011 grand final.

I give you the 1988 Hawthorn side do you think Joyce had much to do with how well they played that year. A list of players capable of performing is as important. You can't just take a bunch of hacks and win a grand final or even if you do sustain that success. You have to have the cattle.

Or for that matter the 1991 premiership side

He wasn't given the flick.
In 2009 - he had agreed to a transition program that would've allowed to remain at the club and maintain an active role within the club and it's coaching structure, whilst being able to step back from the day to day responsibilities/stressors of being a senior coach - something that he had come out and stated he wanted to do for his own health and family reasons.
After winning the flag in 2010, he obviously had a change of heart - and used the next 12 months to undermine and destabilise the club, and was as big a factor as any in us losing the 2011 grand final.

Facts have no use in this thread.

Mick was totally knifed and didn't see it coming :drunk::drunk::drunk:

Not a good attitude or character trait to be satisfied winning one.
Unfortunately Hawthorn United that is the Collingwood way hence 1990 ............. 2010.

My theory is that Collingwood are happy to be Rockstars than to just get the job done like your club. Accepting mediocrity is what shits me the most about my club.

That is why I respect you guys. The Hawks just get the job done even when you lose (arguably) your best player.

Back ......to .......Back .......Back! Wouldn't surprise me with the Hawkers!

Following the 2010 Grand Final victory, commentators were predicting a Collingwood dynasty with such a young and talented list.
Of the 23 players who participated in the draw and ultimate win a week later, this is what is left.
Can anyone recall such a fall from grace from a Premiership team to the current status within such a short space of time?
View attachment 86933
I'm not talking positions on the ladder (we all know the Hawks missed the eight in 2009) but how such a talented list could be torn apart, suffer injury or lose form as per above.

Agree , @ the end of 2010 I was worried abt a magpie dynasty

Thanks Eddie & your man crush !!

I'm looking for a word to describe the period since that p'ship.

Help me out a little if you can........umm!

I got it!

What's the opposite of a dynasty?
South Melbourne/Sydney; 1934-2004.

Hawks lost most of their 2008 team too...
ByvjoUXCIAAHj8g.jpg:large

those 6 guys are gonna have an incredible bond for the rest of their life. Didn't realise how much AFL lists turn over! Ruthless game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back