List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade & FA 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury concerns and perhaps unlikely to leave but could we make a play for Changkuoth Jiath and sell him on the chance to play with his brother and our recent track record in managing the health of players?

When fit, this guy is a star rebounding defender - still only 24 years old. I think his brother TJ will become a great player for us based on early assessment too. This could be our 3-5 year backline by making that move for CJ.

B: B.Maynard - B.Frampton/C.Dean/J.Eyre - I.Quaynor
HB: C.Jiath - D.Moore - T.Jiath

If we are able to hit on bringing in some talented young players (EG: B.Smith/CJ) this offseason and then load up further in UFA/RFA in 2025, it would be a brilliant way to transition our list and retain the top level talent required to complete for premierships.
Most of our young players are played in the seconds.

I'd actually argue intercepting key defenders are types where late picks have had a higher success rate of unearthing e.g. Harris Andrews, Aliir Aliir, Dylan Grimes, Jeremy McGovern, Sicily, Tom Stewart etc.

Regardless of whether some diamonds have been found in the rough, when you have a player like Taylor from GWS, who if he was to become a RFA people are saying he’d be the highest paid player in AFL history, you get an idea of the value attributed to his position. If you don’t have one, you’re not competing in 2024.

And Sicily doesn’t defend key forwards like Taylor, Weitering, Moore, Andrews etc. and I’d argue neither did Grimes for much of his career. He played more like Howe does for us. Aliir isn’t nearly as good at it for that matter and shouldn’t be mentioned in the same sentence.

Curnow and Clarry are probably better players, but I don't know if they're more important players.

The talk that year was that Weitering and Schache were the standouts. Many thought they should have taken Schache - kpf and all.

How I wish Carltank took Schache.

Not true, it's in the Stan Show me the money documentary, he chose Collingwood then Wighty told him and his management we didn't have the resources to get the deal done, he then pivoted to Essendon and I'm sure everyone knows what Dodo is like to deal with, end of the day GWS said he's under contract and we're not dealing
Possibly more before this, I did hear we were keen but no mention of us in the article I was referencing. Apologies I’m not that close to Wrighty

Regardless of whether some diamonds have been found in the rough, when you have a player like Taylor from GWS, who if he was to become a RFA people are saying he’d be the highest paid player in AFL history, you get an idea of the value attributed to his position. If you don’t have one, you’re not competing in 2024.

And Sicily doesn’t defend key forwards like Taylor, Weitering, Moore, Andrews etc. and I’d argue neither did Grimes for much of his career. He played more like Howe does for us. Aliir isn’t nearly as good at it for that matter and shouldn’t be mentioned in the same sentence.
How good is your CHB? That was pretty much the ladder last year.

Moore
Andrews
Taylor
Weitering
May

If they asked to be traded we wouldn't get better unless they play good senior footy during the rest of the year. Can you think of a 4th year bloke playing reserves that you'd want the pies to pay a second round selection for?

Just off the top of my head, Braeden Campbell. He's drifted to the fringe of senior selection (sub last 2 rounds) and the Swans still have Mills, Rampe and Parker to fit back into their team. I'd happily pay a 2nd for him.

Playing 40 games out of 90+ is in and out of the side, Nick Daicos 54 out of 58 is more your regular senior footy, just maths, just the truth.
Maybe your truth Carl. You can say he was in and out in his 1st 2 seasons but 3rd and 4th he was selected everytime he was available, even for a final after being unavailable for many weeks. Thats not in and out no matter how you want to spin it.

Just off the top of my head, Braeden Campbell. He's drifted to the fringe of senior selection (sub last 2 rounds) and the Swans still have Mills, Rampe and Parker to fit back into their team. I'd happily pay a 2nd for him.
He has played 34 games in a row currently for the Swans including 4 finals. Don't think he qualifies as playing Ressies. I think 17 other teams would happily pay a second for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's a senior player.

TBH I can't make a comparison from another club as I haven't heard of the equivalents who've done 4 years with so little AFL impact. Hopefully that changes by the end of the year and they become players that supporters of other clubs have heard of - I'm not betting on it though.

Sicily definitely plays as a key defender on key forwards despite his height. Aliir Aliir was good enough at it to be judged best at the position to make All Australian one year, something Weitering has never done. Sam Taylor if anything is another good example of being able to find quality KPD later in the draft.

When I say a worthy #1 pick, I mean you'd generally hope they end up at least top 3 in their draft and becomes a multiple AA in their position. Weitering as a #1 pick is not too dissimilar to Marc Murphy and Kreuzer as #1 picks. Quality 200-300 game players but not the best player in their draft nor the best players in their position. Their type of talent/output can ultimately be found with later draft picks. I could be wrong and he could still end up getting there by the end of his career, but I'd much rather Curnow/Mckay just from Carlton's 2015 draft at this stage of their careers.

My original point was that you can spend multiple years at the bottom of the ladder before you strike onto a generational talent like Naicos. After 5 attempts with the #1 pick, Carlton finally found it with Sam Walsh who's on track to be a multi-AA midfielder. The fact we already have our superstar on the list means that I'm confident we can supplement Naicos with enough talent even if we just have later picks and don't need to spend multiple years at the bottom to "rebuild"

Sicily and Stewart play loose man more often than not rather than on a KPF. And yes Wilkie belongs with the list I posted - Saints did make the 8.

I don't think there's really a difference between a loose man and an intercept KPD these days with zone defense. Not like Moore dedicates himself to shutting down one KPF opponent. All these guys are expected to pick up a tall in defense but they'll rotate through and zone off when necessary.

He has played 34 games in a row currently for the Swans including 4 finals. Don't think he qualifies as playing Ressies. I think 17 other teams would happily pay a second for him.

Appreciate all that, and last year I'd have said the same. His 2024 season hasn't yet reached that 2023 level though and I think he'll be 1 that'll feel the squeeze when injured players return. He just hasn't been able to make a position his own either which compounds that vulnerability.

I don't think there's really a difference between a loose man and an intercept KPD these days with zone defense. Not like Moore dedicates himself to shutting down one KPF opponent. All these guys are expected to pick up a tall in defense but they'll rotate through and zone off when necessary.
There is. Coaches try to use Howe, Stewart, Sicily, Vlaustin as a +1 in defence. The other guys play on the opposition's dangerous forward and sag off him to intercept.

Appreciate all that, and last year I'd have said the same. His 2024 season hasn't yet reached that 2023 level though and I think he'll be 1 that'll feel the squeeze when injured players return. He just hasn't been able to make a position his own either which compounds that vulnerability.
There's a fair bit of difference between a bloke who has held a regular spot in a Grand Final team and guys who've struggled to be picked 3 weeks in a row.

He's a senior player.

TBH I can't make a comparison from another club as I haven't heard of the equivalents who've done 4 years with so little AFL impact. Hopefully that changes by the end of the year and they become players that supporters of other clubs have heard of - I'm not betting on it though.

Generally, the types of guys you're talking about have had injury issues (like both Fin and Reef have). Connor Stone (GWS), McAsey (Crows) and Zach Reid (Bombers) come to mind.

But there are others. Connor Stevens can't get a game at Hawthorn. Blake Coleman can't get a game at Brisbane. Alex Davies is struggling to crack the GCS senior line-up. Wil Philips and DGB seem to be on the outer at North and Hawks respectively. There are lots of kids on the fringes of senior teams. The trick is finding the gems amongst them and convincing them to come to the Pies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back