Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 28, 2011
Beyond Reproach
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
UAE Team Emirates
These two sides meet for the second this season, the first being the ANZAC Day game which saw Essendon take the spoils. David Zaharakis was best on ground with 34 disposals and four goals. The brave Bombers dug deep to run out the game and take a 46 point win having lead by just two goals early in the final term. Their superb fourth quarter efforts have been a constant all season.

Since then the Bombers have gone from strength to strength, only succumbing to an inspired Lions outfit, and to other top four aspirants Sydney, Hawthorn and Geelong. Collingwood have been a little more erratic dropping games to Port and the Suns, but showed their quality defeating Geelong (a task only the very best clubs have managed this season).

That first encounter in round five came on the back of a declaration from Essendon that six players had been administered AOD-9406. I wasn't at the game, but I'm told there was an air of discontent at James Hird's presence post match. Given this week's revelations from the widely respected Dean Robinson, and public disclosure of Hird's previously private beliefs that Collingwood are using HGH, the justification for Essendon's own attempts to push the boundaries, which if they overstepped is only a result of poor governance and the actions of rogues like Stephen Dank and Dean Robinson and not at all the result of recklessness by the big wigs at EFC HQ, I wouldn't be surprised if Hird cops a BOOOOOOOOOOing five-fold the magnitude of anything the passionate West Coast crowd could deliver to the Scott Brothers.

For reasons unknown the AFL deemed this game between two "big four" clubs to be worthy of the Sunday twilight slot. Maybe they knew when the fixture was released that Essendon would soon be investigated, and if so I wonder if they thought the players would have been suspended by now thus leaving a makeshift VFL outfit to take on a premiership favourite? It's the only logical explanation.

I can't remember a game which has such potential to become spiteful for almost purely off-field matters. Essendon by six goals.

This game is going to be really weird.

It's not about footy any more for me, just interested in watching the circus.

My thoughts exactly. I don't want to reference the drug scandal in the sense that "Essendon are only winning because of drugs", but more in the "Recent controversies could cause some hassles" sense.

Hopefully the rain farks off and doesn't affect the game.

So it's not an Anzac day clash but i've been looking for other historical events from August 4 and the best I can come up with is 1265 - Battle at Evesham: English prince Edward beats Simon de Montfort the younger, perhaps the mods can rename the thread the Battle of Evesham. Either that or 1578 - Battle of Alcazarquivir, Moroccans defeat Portuguese, 10,000 killed.

Just when I thought I didn't have to listen to Paul Roos, he pops up in this game, FML.

Well said Eddie, this saga has nothing to do with Collingwood.
Get off Collingwood and Hirdy's back.
How dare anyone mention drugs in football, as if the AFL has drugs in football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find myself hoping the Pies win this encounter. Ugh, shudder

I wish I could just mute Paul Roos and still hear the others.

How come Essendon's banner held together while Collingwood's didn't?

Did they use a bit of AOD cream to help stick it together?

(Sorry couldn't resist)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back