2nds Collingwood vs Box Hill @ Vic Park Starts 10:30

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry to go off topic guys, but for you guys who get to the VFL games is Shae any chance of staying at Collingwood next year?

Don't get to the VFL often, however IIRC the international rookies get 3 year contracts? This would be the last season of Shae's contract. I highly doubt he will be retained. He's going along OK, but he doesn't look of any use to us at AFL level. Especially considering that he's 27 now.

Don't get to the VFL often, however IIRC the international rookies get 3 year contracts? This would be the last season of Shae's contract. I highly doubt he will be retained. He's going along OK, but he doesn't look of any use to us at AFL level. Especially considering that he's 27 now.

Pretty sure he was shown the door last year but was given a reprieve for some reason, i think they might get a minimum of 2 years, not 100% sure though.

I really like days like today - shows where everyone is at - who will man up / chase etc

1st:
Rounds - has improved many aspects of his game - still a couple of instances - should have gone through the centre / got caught deep in backline
Buckley - poor delivery into F50 / kick out straight to Hawks
Gault - great mark on wing over 2 hawks - i really like Gault - hope he continues to develop
One thing that made me angry is when he dropped a mark and was harassed by Hawks and the lack of fight by our other players to support him
Our backline is so short - not working out their match ups very well...might be a plan of coaches to teach players to run ball out? I hope so...but it's not working
I like the heart that Witts + Paine play with - 100% all the time

2nd
I'll go on record here and say im a backman and i get frustrated with the way we play in defense...maybe im out of touch...
So few players play in front of their man and we constantly get lead to the ball / they get marks from quick kicks forward...really really annoys me
I would like to question whether our defenders ask themselves when a ball comes in - will this go to the back of the pack? To the front? but then they all fly and Hawks sweep it forward for a goal
Someone asked last week why Ugle doesn't get the same criticism Rounds gets...ok here it is - HE NEVER GETS THE BALL!!!
I go to see nearly all the 2nds matches and he just doesnt get it nearly enough.

WOW - we really need some mids coming through
A tall talented one in the draft the draft would be nice...hopefully with so many mids in this draft one will slide

Sorry for my pessimistic comments but i dont think it's how much you lose by - esp when trying to develop players - but seriously, it's HOW you lose and i think our heart got shown up in that quarter

PS - i hope i have to eat most of my words after the break

How are our young talls looking i.e. witts and gault? I understand ceglar has been decent but he is missing this game.

Not sure where cam wood is at with his career as he should be dominating vfl.

Edit. May have been answered already.

Don't have a thread for it on the Hawks board but could someone tell me how Hodge is going? and who is doing the best for Box Hill?
Cheers

He was dominating before I left. Bailley, the other ruckman whose name I can't remember and Hill were all cutting us up.

For us Paine looks to good for the level and that's about it.

Don't have a thread for it on the Hawks board but could someone tell me how Hodge is going? and who is doing the best for Box Hill?
Cheers
it is only the reserves, but he's doing enough to suggest he'll play seniors next week.

read the rest of the thread - live chat & radio coverage available

3/4 time:

Collingwood 3.8 (26) vs Box Hill 16.10 (106)

Goals:
Collingwood: Paine 2, Ugle
Box Hill: Tobin 3, Lowden 3, Hill 2, Pratt 2, Hughes, Litherland, Hodge, Bailey, Bateman, Gilchrist

Nice dish off by Paine to Ugle who snaps and goals. Finally! After halfway through the third we get our first goal since before midway through the first!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Paine looks super impressive playing kp for his age. Any reason why he dropped so low in the draft - question on his pace???. Anyway he looks a class above vfl level.

Full Time:

Collingwood 4.13 (37) defeated by Box Hill 23.15 (153)

Goals:
Collingwood: Paine 2, Wallace, Ugle
Box Hill: Tobin 3, Lowden 3, Pratt 3, Hill 3, Gilchrist 2, Thompson 2, Hallahan, Hughes, Litherland, Hodge, Bailey, Bateman

An all round disappointing performance. Realistically, we had chances to make this game a bit closer. We didn't take them. 4 goals 12 and a few OOBs isn't good accuracy at all considering it was in dry conditions.

Didak seemed to get through unscathed. Dropped off a lot after the first quarter, but so did the team. Was rested for most of the last quarter.

Clarke and Buckley weren't screaming out for recall. Clarke improved in the last, but needed to play a lot better than that quarter throughout the whole game.

I'd like to see Gault, JT and Paine, maybe Witts too in the seniors vs GWS.

Ceglar missing might also mean he is in line for a debut - this happened with Mooney in the week before he debuted, also last week before he was a late inclusion. I wouldn't understand why we would just 'rest' Cegs because we do have a bye next week..

Wood was disappointing, again. We really needed him to stand up as he is one of the more 'mature' - if you could call him that, bodies in our team.

Rounds is one that could be in line for a recall as well, should be in our bests.

We have the bye next week, then it's off to Bendigo (loooong car trip..) to face Bendigo at QEO

I'd be intrigued to see the individual stats for us in this game.

Paine looks super impressive playing kp for his age. Any reason why he dropped so low in the draft - question on his pace???. Anyway he looks a class above vfl level.

He was in the shadow of Patton while playing in u18 championships. I reckon we got him for a bargain. Paine's also on the shorter side of being a KPP at 191cm. That could be another reason he fell to us.

The belief that he we was one or two inches too short to play key position. He fell into that tweener height range. Which I think is a pretty big oversight myself. I still think he could play KP at his height. I believe Sam Reid had the same knock when he was a junior actually.

Seedy and Young didn't really take their chances today so opens up an opportunity for Rounds. Don't think Gault will break through this year but another pre-season and you'd hope he is knocking on the door. Would love to see Ceglar get a game next week, forms been good. Would like to see Paine get another run, Cloke is badly out of form and I don't see the Taz up forward working, Browny's poor run of form could see Taz swung down back. Play Ceg's as a second ruck off the bench, Paine at FF leading up, with Dawes at CHF and Trav in a pocket to try and get a bit of touch back.

BESTS are up:

Best: Luke Rounds, Josh Thomas, Lachie Wallace, Nick Riddle, Jarrod Witts, Marty Clarke

I'm suprised Clarke made it to the bests ahead of Paine..

Didak only looked interested when there was a possibility of him getting on the end of it. He had a few decent give offs from a stop play. Looked fairly one paced and his kicking was mostly that short cutesy s**t he often goes on with.

Rounds was good, disposal needs to improve but he has superb accelaration and links very well, due to the fact he doesn't stop running after one play like a lot of other players.

Buckley does that too ( that's why he plays AFL). He started off with a sizzler to Paine then was a lot of clanger kicking afterwards. Missed an absolutely pudding running into goal in the last, but he can atleast run and carry.

Paine has fantastic hands and looks dominant when he hits the ball at pace and clunks it. He will be good when he develops a better tank, as he is not big enough to be a stand and deliver forward.

As I said previously - young, but at the same time fairly pissweak football side.

How are our young talls looking i.e. witts and gault? I understand ceglar has been decent but he is missing this game.

Not sure where cam wood is at with his career as he should be dominating vfl.

Edit. May have been answered already.

Apart from a lack of strength that will hopefully come through pre seasons, Gault is great. That is, he keeps presenting and presenting (like Paine), whether it be up on the wing or at half forward.

He took some really nice marks outside 50 and another great one over the top of some Hawks players about 20 out...and then missed the goal - but what it revealed was his willingness to fly, put body on the line...and ONE GRAB a mark

Look, Witts hasnt got much of a leap but this guy just keeps putting his body on the line for the team - runs back with the flight of the ball / smashes into pack / waits under high balls when he knows he's going to get smashed.

John Barnes spent a lot of time talking to both Witts and Wood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back