News Coronavirus and the draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like the U18s is going to become U19s, the U16s will be U17s, but the draft age will still be 18:

God this sounds dreadful, surely integrating the u18s in with the VFL/NEAFL comp is more beneficial. Granted it would be difficult with the lack of rural team representation in those leagues
Impossible for recruiters to get around the state to see kids playing at a bunch of different clubs, rather than in the 1 place. Gives APS kids a massive advantage, which is wrong.

Whilst APS footy is an exceptional standard and almost the equivalent of TAC anyway, however with the increase in the u18 comp to u19, most of the kids wont have school footy to go back to.
It’s a standard set by the few stars at each school, that dominate. A majority of the kids aren’t nab league standard and that’s why recruiters don’t read much into aps form.

Impossible for recruiters to get around the state to see kids playing at a bunch of different clubs, rather than in the 1 place. Gives APS kids a massive advantage, which is wrong.
TBF the APS kids already have a massive advantage with recruiters viewing games they're part of as the truest indication of a prospect, whether it be in NAB League or APS

It’s a standard set by the few stars at each school, that dominate. A majority of the kids aren’t nab league standard and that’s why recruiters don’t read much into aps form.

I disagree on this, and reckon you would find most of the top APS clubs first team are part of a TAC cup club anyway. I suspect recruiters take little interest in either TAC or APS.. and only really care about the national carnival.

TBF the APS kids already have a massive advantage with recruiters viewing games they're part of as the truest indication of a prospect, whether it be in NAB League or APS
Don’t think it’s much of advantage when the other kids get to play nab league every week. Take that away, then there’s a massive problem. Apparently list managers/recruiters are furious.

I disagree on this, and reckon you would find most of the top APS clubs first team are part of a TAC cup club anyway. I suspect recruiters take little interest in either TAC or APS.. and only really care about the national carnival.
Well that’s just not true.

If they go through with the changes, it’s going to suck for recruiting staff at a time when they’re cutting down departments. Imagine instead of coding 1 game with 20 prospects, potentially having to code 20 games.

Last edited:
Clubs are apparently begging Champion Data for footage of past games so that they can review that as part of their draft prep.

Also potential for topping up the lists ahead of season 2020, something about 60 players per club to enable more rotations with shorter breaks between games.
Just announced _ No outdoor non contact sport in Vic till Oct 26, means no games in Vic this year and possibly no combine , I predict a smaller draft with some clubs picking a group of kids to train over the summer with a view of selecting the best performed in the pss period,

Last edited:
Just announced _ No outdoor non contact sport in Vic till Oct 26, means no games in Vic this year and possibly no combine , I predict a smaller draft with some clubs picking a group of kids to train over the summer with a view of selecting the best performed in the past period,
I'd be surprised if the AFL couldn't figure some sort of agreement out for at least the combine

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or fly them all interstate for some sort of U18s exhibition comp and do the combine in the quarantine hub.
Not sure they'd commit to it that much but weirder things have happened, maybe that Richmond fine can cover the flight costs?

Agree there may be something in Nov but is it fair to assess these kids when they may not be at their physical peak,
They do it every year?

God this sounds dreadful, surely integrating the u18s in with the VFL/NEAFL comp is more beneficial. Granted it would be difficult with the lack of rural team representation in those leagues

I had never thought about that before but having an U18's team in the VFL composed solely of the top 75 under 18 players in the country would be really good as it would show recruiters how well these kids go against men and AFL listed players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back