Cotters - 2013 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 11, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Welcome.

Tried to get a few unheard of names out there and a few player I think have/will slip under the radar of others. Tried to be a bit different to some of the others. The point of this is not to predict where a player will go(although I try give you some sort of range by where I have placed them), It's just to try and give you all some information about potential draftees.

I would have done a better job, but I've been flat out with work this year. So things didn't really go as well as I planned.

Eventually, the Phantom Draft will contain 3 rounds for the national draft, and a Rookie/PSD draft.

Enjoy.

1. GWS: Thomas Boyd - KPF - (199cm/100kg)
Boyd in the consensus pick 1 and rightly so. Easily the best KPF in this year’s draft and is very similar to Patton. Very good contested mark and has a significant presence about him. He has a massive frame and certainly knows how to use it. Reliable on-field and goal kick. Was dominating in his last game of the champs before he picked up that dreadful injury. Really showed what he is capable of. The size of Boyd no doubt helps him dominate against some of his opponents, but he doesn’t really need to rely on it at the next level. Whilst he does have a big body don’t expect him to come in and take the competition by storm straight away. It’s no secret that the taller players take more time to develop their game. Missed 3 or so months with that injury but came back and play the in TAC Cup grand final and kicked 4 goals in a good display. I wish everyone the best of luck in a few years time when they’re trying to combat a forward line the contains Patton, Boyd and Cameron.
2. GWS : Josh Kelly - Midfielder - (181cm/71kg)
This kid is going to be talked about a lot this year. In fact, he was talked about a fair bit last year when the mini draft came around. Kelly is now starting to get talked up as a potential top 2 pick in this years draft. He may not be your contested ball winning mid(he will develop more in that aspect with time) but he racks up the ball and is very damaging with it. You’d love to be a tall forward and have Kelly hitting you up week in week out. Kelly also has a fantastic endurance base. Meaning he can just keep on going for the whole four quarters. I personally wouldn’t take him at pick 2 myself but GWS do need some outside run to compliment there other midfielders. Classy player and has a good footballing career ahead of him.
3. St Kilda: Jack Billings – Forward/Midfielder – (182cm/73kg)
He had a very good year in the U18 championships last year and you can count on him to back it up. Others seem to have doubts about his transition to the midfield, but I have no doubt that he will end up playing in the midfield. Billings is a lovely kick of the ball and can really do some damage on the scoreboard. I think Billings is a strong chance to get picked up by the Saints with pick 3. Some of the stuff he is capable of doing makes him look like a seasoned player, at times. Billings has everything needed to become an elite player at the next level. Reminds me a bit of Sam Mayes in the way he plays. He can have an impact anywhere on the field. Probably won’t play many games in his first year but he’d be a chance to play a few in a lower ranked side like St Kilda.
4. Western Bulldogs: James Aish - Midfielder - (183cm/75kg)
At this stage, Aish is regarded as one of the elite talents in this years draft pool. People have seemed to lower his ranking a bit. But there is still every chance he goes top 2. Very silky player with good speed and is a very neat user of the footy. Very much and outside player at the moment and will need to continue to work on his inside game, which will certainly improve. It’s not like he isn’t willing to go in and try to win his own ball, but he just needs to learn a few things first. A bit like our own Sam Mayes when it comes to composure. Played for Norwood in the SANFL Seniors this year and he whilst he wasn’t spectacular, he did alright. As it has been mentioned already, he has been copping some tags this year. But he’ll continue learning to break them. He is a lovely kick, has some pace about him and is just a very classy player. I’m personally hoping he does a Rich/Wingard and slips through to us at pick 7!
5. Gold Coast: Kade Kolodjashnij –Midfielder/Defender – (188cm/77kg)
AIS-AFL academy squad member who has really shooted up the rankings, I’ve had him pegged first round for some time now but he is shaping up to be a top 5 chance. Attacking half back flanker with neat skills and good pace. His evasive ability is very sharp and he makes good decisions under pressure. Had an absolute ripper championship carnival for Tasmania and really showed his ability. He does struggle often in 1v1 situations. Mind you, his thin frame doesn’t exactly help a great deal. I tend to see him becoming a wing man at the next level. And with his tools, he should make a fine one at that. He is good with his hands and has decent endurance. One thing that can make him stand out is his leap. Is quite creative and can set up the play off a half back flank.
6. Collingwood: Marcus Bontempelli - Defender/Midfielder - (190cm/82kg)
Superb left footy kick with real penetration. He is a line breaking defender/midfielder, he can play on tall's and smalls and is a very good read of the play, takes intercept marks, keeps on running and can get on the scoreboard. I rate him as an 'elite' prospect and think he will go top 10. At this stage, my favourite of the draft. His inside game has come a long way this year but he probably still needs to work on it some more before he is capable of playing senior footy. Every chance he will get taken by Collingwood at pick 6. He can play anywhere. He may not have played to well in this years nation carnival but he really showed some stuff in the last few games in this years TAC Cup. Can take marks and kick goals up forward, take intercept marks and provide rebound from defence or get the ball, break lines and kick goals from the midfield. Really rate his potential.

7. Brisbane Lions: Matt Scharenberg - Defender/Midfielder - (189cm/88kg)
Down back he is very good at locking down his opponent, and also provides a fair bit in terms of rebound. Just reads the play so well. Can push up and make an impact with his big body. Feel his future lies in defence with his ability to shut down tall's and smalls and hurt the opposition coming out of defence. He really play anywhere. Has some good speed and composure out of contests and uses the ball very well. Had a good championship carnival and went up considerably in a few peoples rankings. You can really tell he has a basketball background with some of the things he does on the field. He could really be anything at the next level. Probably start off down back and makes the transition to the midfield the following year. Ran into him and he seems like a smart kid who is willing to make the most of his opportunity. I’ll be watching him with a close eye no matter where he ends up at.
8. North Melbourne: Luke Macdonald(F/S) – Midfielder – (188cm/71kg)
North are extremely lucky to be able to pick him up through the father/son rule. He’d be a good chance to be on his way to play for the Gold Coast if it wasn’t for that. His kicking generally very good but can have the rare shocker, just like any other player. His inside game has improved a bit too. He had an ‘ok’ national carnival this year but didn’t really play as well as I would have liked. But he did have a very good finals campaign in the VFL this year, being arguably their best player.
9. Melbourne: Nathan Freeman – Midfielder/Forward – (182cm/85kg)
Big bodied midfielder who is ferocious in the contests and is a very good tackler. Uses his body extremely well in contests and take plenty of marks. Gets plenty of free kicks due to attacking the ball harder than most. Decent overhead mark and can push forward and have an impact. Sure Freeman has the explosive pass out of the packs which could very well see him become elite at the next level but it’s what he does with the ball in hand that concerns me. His kicking is awful at times and his decision making is no better. Mind you his kicking probably comes down to his decision making. He just tries to do too much. I’ve watched him back himself in to try and weave his way through packs but he ends up having to retreat and run backwards. Which is fine in some cases but instead of giving the ball off to a teammate in a better position he’ll try it again. Most have him going top 10 but personally I’d pass on him if I was a recruiter with a top 10 pick. Don’t get me wrong he has the talent to develop into something special. I’ve probably made him sound like a third round prospect at best and contradicted myself a bit too. Which is probably just because I’m sick of some people of some people making him sound like the second coming. My thoughts on him do change a fair bit though. I’ve got him at #9 in my mock simply because I think it is where he will go, not because I rate him that high.
10. Collingwood: Cameron McCarthy – Forward – (195cm/89kg)
A big tall forward who really came in and took everyone by surprise with his performances in the champs. McCarthy is a very determined young footballer who really wants to succeed, he comes across as someone who is very coachable and is prepared to do whatever it takes to make it. Considering he hasn’t even completed a full pre season or trained as much as most of the other potential draftees, to come into the champs and do what he did suggests he has a lot of talent and will only get better. If he had have taken up football seriously a couple of years ago he would have learnt more about what he needs to work on with his game and how to go about it, there’s every chance we’d be talking about him as a top 5 pick. His contested marking and his ability at ground level is eye catching. I did previously say I thought he could very well go top 15, but gee I’m still surprised there is some talk of him going as early as pick 6.
11. West Coast: Blake Acres – Utility – (188cm/83kg)
One who could bolt as we get closer to the draft. He can play down back, forward or in the midfield. He has very good skills and a big body to come in from day one. He played in this years Champs but I certainly don’t recall him having much of an impact with is certainly reasonable as he has had some problems with his shoulder this year. Then he went back to WA and played a very good brand of football over in WA this year when he wasn’t injured. He is strong overhead and posses a good mix of football smart and skill. He is capable of winning his own football and capable of playing in a variety of roles. He really does have some class about him. There’s every chance that Acres could go top 10 this year. I’d be up for selecting him at pick 7 personally.
12. Richmond: Christian Salem – Midfielder – (183cm/82kg)
Again, a player who will need to increase his inside output. A very brave and Courageous footballer who will go head first into any contest, it’s just a matter of getting to the contests first. Salem just seems to find time and space better than the next guy, effectively making some of the stuff he does look effortlessly. He is capable of playing up forward but it’s the midfield where he really stand out. Salem can weave his way out of tackles and is actually a good aggressive tackler himself. He is a nice accurate kick and makes good decisions under pressure. I’m actually having a hard time placing this guy. In my opinion he could probably push top 5 or end up being taken at around the pick 15 mark. Will be looking out for his name come draft day.
13. Carlton: Luke Dunstan - Midfielder/Forward - (184cm/82kg)
Averaged 27 disposals and 5 clearances a game in the colts last year. His speed looked fairly good for an inside midfielder and is superb by foot. He leads by example and could end up a future captain at whatever club is lucky enough to pick him up. Had a good run in the u18 championships this year and averaged 23 disposals. His work in close is very good. Has superb hands and has a good sense or awareness. Proven he can tough it out against the bigger bodies and recruiters will take note of that. He is also strong overhead and uses his body well in 1v1 contests. Which allows him to go forward and cause the opposition coaches some headaches. Depending on where he ends up he should be able to come in from day one and play some senior footy. Probably doesn’t have the potential that some of the others do but he should still go fair early. Gets the job done and good leadership .
14. GWS: Alex Spina – Midfielder – (180cm-77kg)
Wins plenty of the ball and is a really talented player. He is a very classy player and will get plenty of the ball. Many consider him a forward at this stage with the potential to move into the midfield. But that’s just not the case. He has already shown in a couple of games he is more than ready of stepping into the midfield when given the chance. He regularly gets on the scoreboard and will cause plenty of headaches for the opposition. Some have him reasonably high and other have him fairly low. He may not have had the best champs but I heard his knee was giving him a bit of trouble. He is very damaging player who whilst not only possessing good speed, he also has the ability to consistently hit his targets. Once he can work on his inside game just a bit more, he could prove to not only be a bargain pick but a top 50 player at the next level. Won’t go this early in the real thing. But I rate him very highly
15. Sydney: Tom Cutler – Defender – (190cm/86kg)
Tom Cutler is probably somewhat underrated. He is listed at 190cm, making him an awkward size for a key defender at the next level. He is similar to Joel Patfull in terms of his ability to read the play really well, play on smalls and has the ability to player taller than what he is. Cutler possesses good athleticism and has a good balance with his defensive and offensive mindset. His elite kicking skills and speed for his size allows him to have a strong rebound game and often cause his opponent some headaches. He can swing up forward but he is better down back.
16. Geelong: Ben Lennon – Forward/Midfielder – (187cm/81kg)
As others have said, Lennon is certainly a top 10 chance.At this stage, just couldn’t seem to squeeze him in my top 10 as of yet. Lennon did some good things when playing for Vic Metro this year. He did apparently have an injury issue though. He is a very good overhead mark and is also a superb kick. Lennon as shown the ability to crash packs and extract the ball as a midfielder. Uses his body well in 1v1 contests. He will need to keep building up his tank. Some of his test results weren’t exactly great either. Others have him in the top 10 but I just can’t see it happening myself. One thing that recruiters are into is a player with some versatility. And Lennon fits that mould. So he probably will go earlier than I have him. Lennon needs to continue working on his midfield game in general if that is the position he wishes to play in.
17. Fremantle: Cameron Giles
had a very good U18 Championships this year. If you had watched him in the SANFL you would have noticed him playing CHB winning a fair bit of the ball and seen his strong rebound game. Not 100% sure but I think he played in the midfield at times too. Considering how well he went in the Champs, the lack of tall talent in this years draft and plenty of clubs needing a young developing tall defender who will be ready to replace one of their older ones in a couple years time, He shoots up the pecking order a fair bit for mine. He played more of a lock down role in the champs and he adapted reasonably well. However, he will still need to further develop that at the next level. Ideally I’d like him to find that important balance between his offensive and defensive game. He has already shown some signs that he will be able to do it. Giles really has the tools to become something better than any of the other key defenders in this years draft pool. His decision making, ball winning ability, ability to hit targets, rebound, speed, agility, versatility and his willingness to back himself in could be the makings of a very good defender. He just has everything a big defender would need, and then more.

I'd probably have him slightly ahead of Gardiner as he just has more potential and shown just as much from what I've seen. He is also better equipped to take on the highly rated younger tall forwards who are coming through. You've got blokes like Patton, Daniher, Boyd, McCarthy, Wright and Goddard. Most of whom will be 199cm plus(when they finish growing) if they aren't already. And are decent athletes too.
18. St Kilda: Dominic Sheed – Midfielder – (184cm/79kg)
I’ve probably underrated him here, could very well push for top 10. Has bucket loads of class and potential. Very good at finding space and reading the play. Sheed is an all round classy player and people often compare him with Simon Black. He is reasonably good up forward without being spectacular. Some people say Sheed is ‘one paced’ which is reasonable, but don’t make the mistake of thinking he is by any means super slow. Slow and one paced are different things. It’s a pity he got injured this year but he certainly showed everyone what he is capable of. Sheed has a very good balance between his inside and outside game. He will go hard for the ball in the contests but he is more than capable of running with it and linking up with his teammates. Although he missed a game in this years champs he still managed to win the larke medal for the best division one player. He just does all the basics right.
19. St Kilda: Lewis Taylor – Midfielder/Forward – (173cm/72kg)
Resembles Boomer Harvey. Whilst Taylor is clearly on the short side, he should not be underestimated. Lack of height can certainly put the recruiters off but as long as said player has something that makes him stand out from the rest, I think they’d be okay with it. The type of player who can impact the game and lift his teammates. You could liken him to Dayne Zorko in the way that he isn’t super fast, but he sure as hell looks it with the way he plays. In my opinion Taylor could go as high as top 10 or he could slide down in the 20’s. If he had that extra height, he’d be well and truly up the order. My reason for having him a touch later than most is not because of his height. It’s just where I think he could end up getting to. Taylor is not an elite kick by any means. But he will generally hit his target. He’ll probably start his career up forward with some short bursts in the middle of the ground. I think Taylor could seriously become one of the better players in the competition. With that said, I do find him hard to place.

20. Gold Coast: Zac Jones - Defender – (183cm/77kg)

Last year Zac hadn’t really done much to suggest he could be a high pick or even a potential draft prospect at all. But that doesn’t matter now. He has come on in leaps and bound and could go as high as pick 13 in this years draft. So I’ve got him a bit lower than he will probably go. As mentioned a thousand times by other poster he is the brother of Nathan Jones from Melbourne. He is more of a defender at this stage who has a neat kick and enough speed to go with just about anyone. He can provide a bit of rebound but is better known for his ability to keep his opponent very quiet. He showcased his ability to go and have an impact in the midfield this year where he dominated the clearances and ball count in general. He probably won’t ever become a star but he’ll become a good player who can play down back or in the middle.

ROUND 2.

21. Port Adelaide: Eli Templeton – Midfielder/Defender – (183cm/69kg)
He likens himself to Dustin Heppell(yes, they have similar hair too) Have not seen much of this kid, from memory he played for Tasmania in last years champs. Good midfielder with good foot skills who finds plenty of the ball and can be a handy linkman. Has shown the ability to be dangerous up forward or rebound well of the half backline. He really played well in this years champs and has shot up the rankings a fair bit. I’ll be interested to see where he falls on draft day. Quigley rates him pretty highly having Templeton in his top 15 from memory. But Quigs does like to have a division two player a bit higher than some of us others. I don’t rate him as a top 15 pick myself, but I’d be more than happy to use pick 25 - 30 on him which is probably where he will end up getting selected anyway. Could prove to be an absolute bargain at that price too. I know a couple of people involved at different AFL clubs and he interviewed very well with the clubs from what they had told me. They didn’t mention anything about what range he is worthy of being taken in though.
22. Brisbane Lions: Trent Dumont – Midfielder – (184cm/85kg)
Over the last year or so, he has really improved his kicking which will help his push for top 10.Big strong inside midfielder who loves the contested footy. Dumont has the ability to play on a back flank or even up forward with that strong overhead mark of his. His hands are sharp in contested situations and he picks out good decisions by hand or foot. He has some penetration on his kick but it can at time be a little inaccurate. As I stated earlier, he has improved on in a little and will continue doing so. Had a couple of injury problems this year but nothing major from memory. Played for Norwood in the SANFL seniors this year alongside Aish and he went really well. Loved some of his work this year . May not have consistently racked up high numbers but he didn’t always play in his true position either. Went quite well in Norwood’s grand final this year. I probably see him getting selected with one of the saints picks 18 or 19.
23. Adelaide: Matt Crouch - Midfielder - (182cm/77kg)
He is probably the best player in the draft when it comes to clearance situations and getting the ball. He gets to a lot of contests and he is always up and about either tackling or extracting the ball. Crouch has a good sense of awareness and his hands are extremely good. His kicking and running game have some question marks over it but he just seems to get things done. Averaged 38 disposals in the TAC Cup this year and really made some progress with his overall game. If he can further improve his kicking and some other aspects of his game he could become elite. If not he’ll be similar to a Matthew Boyd or Priddis type. Both of whom are still solid/good players for their respective side. Some are tipping him to slide to around the pick 20 mark or so but I can’t see it myself. If he does slip I can’t see him getting past St Kilda at Pick 19 or 19.

24. Hawthorn: James Tsitas – Midfielder – (180cm/78kg)
This kid is just a beast on the inside. He could really prove to be an absolute bargain in this ears draft. He doesn’t have line breaking speed or a Shannon Hurn type kick but he just does all the basics right. He has a good balance between his inside and outside game and he can run all day long. There are plenty of clubs out who could certainly use a player like Tsitas. I think his tackling game is superb. If he isn’t the first one to the contest, he won’t be far behind, waiting to apply heavy pressure and cause the opposition to fumble the ball. He certainly is not the most damaging player but his smarts really see him stand out amongst some of the other blokes he is playing against. He could sneak into the top 20 or so imo.
25. Brisbane Lions: Billy Hartung – Midfielder/Forward – (177cm/71kg)
Hartung is a very intriguing prospect. It’s a pity that is isn’t 10cm taller. Not that his current height will hold him back. Hartung is the elite runner in this years draft pool possessing bother great endurance and great speed. Hartung is generally a pretty good kick over 30-35 metres but he can at times kick some shockers when he is trying to kick 50 metres. But he more than makes up for that with his ability to take the game on and consistently break the lines. He wins his fair share of the ball and has good evasive ability. He is capable of resting forward and getting on the scoreboard too. Billy needs to do some work on his defensive game but he has improved in that aspect during the season. A couple of people who claim to know Billy well have said he can be a bit up himself at times. Rumour is he will find his way to the Saints at pick 18 or 19.
26. Essendon: Zachary Merrett – (178cm/73kg)
Zachary is the brother of Jackson Merrett from Essendon. They have pretty similar game styles too. Zachary plays as an outside midfielder with blistering pace and uses to ball well. He can do some truly amazing things at times but he is very inconsistent. He needs to focus a bit more on getting to the right places at the right time and needs some work on his game up forward. Despite his slim build Merrett is more than capable of going in and winning some hard ball. I think he would be pretty happy to wind up at Essendon and play with his brother.
27. Gold Coast: Jake Kolodjashnij – Defender – (193cm/88kg)
Brother of the highly rated Kade in this year crop. Been playing predominantly as a CHB. And I’m probably against the minority a bit here but I think he could continue playing the role at the next level. Most people seem to think he will be a third tall. He can play that role to a high extent too. Jake has good speed and athleticism that allow him to match up on the taller opponents and should see him maintain that ability at the next level. He has really improved this year. He has played forward in the past and he has done alright but he is far better suited down back. He won’t offer much in terms of rebound but he’ll do a good job of negating his opponent.
28. Brisbane Lions: Isaiah Miller – Midfielder/Defender - (187cm/83kg)
Ball winner who makes very good decisions through the midfield and coming out of the back line. Good overhead mark and can play a bit taller than what he is. Big body who contests well at ground level and knows when to spoil or when to mark or when to run off his opponent. Miller had a good year in the TAC Cup playing for the Bendigo Pioneers. He also played in a couple VFL games and showed enough to suggest he'll become a good player at the next level. When I watched miller this year in the TAC Cup he just looked a class above. He doesn’t really have the best 1v1 game going around but he should be able to improve that to an acceptable level when he arrives at an AFL club. Apart from that, Miller has got plenty going for him. His ability to make good quick decisions and kick the ball should see him becoming that HBF or midfielder who can really set up the play. He is also a good rebounder. He can also push up and play in the midfield and get on the scoreboard. If he can work on his 1v1 game a bit he'll be a very good player. But he should become a good player anyway. He does take some handy intercept marks though. Could become that modern day ‘general’ type down back.
29. GWS: Rory Lobb – Ruckman
Lobb is an interesting one. Many have been suggesting the Swans could make a very big reach and pick him up with #15. I just can’t see that happening to be honest. And I’d be very pissed if that happened and I was a Swans fan. Lobb has the tools to become a good ruckman. He comes from a basket ball background and possesses good athletic ability as you would have already guessed. Overall his game is pretty good. Often winning the taps and use the ball pretty well for a ruck. But he will take a few years to fully develop, just like anyone young ruck.
30. North Melbourne: Nicholas Roberston – Midfielder – (188cm/79kg)
Very good prospect. Needs to further enhance his inside game and will do so at whatever club he ends up at. Very good at setting up the play forward and also pressures his opponents into creating turnovers. Runs all day long and has neat skills. Injuries have hurt him this year like they have with a couple of other promising youngsters. Robertson can basically run all day and is quite the natural competitor. Most around here probably don’t rate him as they wouldn’t have seen much of him. His natural position is in the midfield but he has some versatility and can play down back or up forward if needed. Will be interested to see where he ends up getting selected.
31. West Coast: Patrick Cripps – Midfielder – (188cm – 88kg)
Cripps is a strong bodied inside midfielder who goes in and dishes the ball out the teammates. He has been travelling pretty well in the Champs so far. His outside game is already coming along nicely but will need to continue to work on it. His kicking is accurate but lacks penetration. He is a top 20 chance. Some are even suggesting he could go as high as pick 13. Which I personally can’t see happening myself. He has good height which is starting to become a thing that recruiters like in an inside midfielder.
32. Sydney Swans: Darcy Gardiner – KPD/Third tall– (192cm/85kg)
At this stage he looks to be the second best key defender in this years draft behind Giles. Very good at judging the flight of the ball and is a very good spoiler. Has worked on his rebound game a bit and will continue to do so. I’m guessing he will grow another couple of centre metres as well. I don’t really think he will be a key defender at the next level though. I think it will be hard for him to match up on some of the bigger forwards that have been and still are coming through the drafts. Patton, Daniher, Boyd are all 198cm+ and there of a couple of highly rated 199cm+ tall forwards in next years draft too. I just don’t think he has the skill set to match up on them.
33. Brisbane Lions: Dayle Garlett – (181cm/76kg
Outside midfielder/ small forward who can light up the field with his pace and his ability to make the best decision under any amount of pressure. He takes the game on as often as he possibly can. He really does hurt the opposition with his penetration and ability to pinpoint passes. He has been absolutely dominating this year. We have all heard about his off-field troubles but apparently he has improved/matured in that area lately. I’d hate to see him get passed up again. He is a top 5 talent and would be a bargain get.
34. Brisbane Lions: Jay Kennedy-Harris – Forward/Midfielder – (176cm/69kg)
He runs hard both ways and for a small bloke he can win the ball. Surprisingly he has very good core strength for a player who only weighs in at 69kg. He possesses very sharp skills. More of a small forward at this stage but has some impressive signs when thrown into the midfield. Will start off as a small forward who can crumb the packs and be that little terrier up forward who will always be putting pressure on the opposition. He possesses great break away pace. Hopefully he brings that to the next level. Because there have been a couple who haven’t quite been able to do it. I previously thought his endurance was pretty bad and whilst it isn’t the best either, he still tested pretty well in the 3km time trial at the combine. His inside game looks to be decent for someone who has not spent much time working on it but he still has a fair way to go in that department.
35. Sydney: Nicholas Bourke - Midfielder – (188cm-79kg)
Probably should have him listed as a utility, but he does his best work through the midfield on the outside running with the ball in hand. His kicking can at times be dreadful but on his day he just seems to be able to pin point passes, whether that is a confidence thing or he just ‘ cope under pressure, I don’t know. Can have an impact as an inside midfielder dishing the ball out to teammates. Very neat hands and his strong overhead marking helps him make an impact up forward if need be. I originally had him pretty high in my top 25 but I just can’t seem to put him that high anymore. There is a fair bit to work with on Bourke. At the next level he probably settles in the midfield.
36. Geelong: Jared Jansen – Midfielder/Forward – (188cm/91kg)
Jared is an inside midfielder who gets plenty of the ball. He has the potential to go earlier than this but I see him as the type of player who might slip under the radar. Parts of his game remind me a bit of Jack Redden in terms of his contested ball winning ability, tackling game and his ability to go forward and have an impact when he is needed to do so. Jared really uses his body to his advantage in whatever situation he is in, whether it be under the packs, breaking tackles or when he is up forward.
37. Fremantle: Mitchell Harvey – KPF – (198cm-100kg)
One to watch. Harvey is a big strong power forward who is having a sensational year for North Adelaide in the U18’s and in his four games he has bagged 20 goals. He has really come on this year. Harvey is a very good contested mark and also a very accurate kick for goal A few things to work on, like his endurance for example. But the talent is clearly there. With the lack of quality talls in this years draft he could certainly go reasonably high. I can’t ever see him becoming that number one tall forward but I think he’ll become a pretty handy second tall forward. Harvey had a good year at this years champs and showed he had some presence about him. He is also very good at ground level. On his day he can tear games apart. Wether or not that will translate to the next level remains unknown at this point.
38. Hawthorn: Dwayne Wilson – Midfielder – (177cm/74kg)
Earlier in the year a few people were talking up Dwayne Wilson as a potential top 15 pick. His certainly slid a bit since then. He really needs to work on a few things such as his consistency but he certainly has the talent to become a steal in this years draft if he slides as far as some people have been predicting. He can almost turn a game around at his best but he just doesn’t do it enough. He can have games where he just dominates, but the next week things just don’t seem to go right for him. He has genuine x factor and he is a lovely kick of the ball. Just breaks the lines and gets to all the right spots. It will be very interesting to see where Wilson gets picked up on draft day. He could either go top 30 or he could even slip through to the rookie draft.

ROUND 3

39. Carlton: Mitch Thorp – Forward –(194cm/89kg)
Okay, we all know the Mitch Thorp story. Take high in his original draft by Hawthorn but he just didn’t have the maturity or commitment to make it at AFL level. This year he captained/coached over in Tassie and did a fantastic job finally maturing. He seems very keen to get another chance at AFL level and take it with both hands. Thorp is a very good runner and a strong mark. With that said, he probably won’t ever be that dominant number on tall forward but he should be able to come in and play that leading half forward role for a club. With this years draft a bit weaker than some of the others(I don’t believe it is as weak as what some are suggesting) a club could certainly do worse than Thorp. He has been linked to Carlton and he could certainly be useful to them. Wether it be as a depth player or a best 22 players.
40. Melbourne: Riley Knight – Midfielder/Forward - (180cm/73kg)
Knight is an inside midfielder who can burst away from the packs. He does seems to have all the tools that suggest he should be a top 20 prospect. But there is just something that seems to be holding him back a bit. I spoke to my mate who is a scout who said he doesn’t really rate him too highly and wouldn’t take him in the first two rounds. He has certainly seen more of Knight than I have but I’m going to disagree with him on this one. Knight is good overhead and can also play up forward and kick a goal or two. He is a very intelligent young kid who just seems to be very mature for his age. He played good at the champs and continued on with his form back over in SA. I’ve got a soft spot for the kid and will be listening out for his name on draft day.
41. Geelong : Nathan Drummond – Defender – (181cm/82kg)
Nathan is a half back flanker who shuts his opponent downs and also provides some run out of defence. He has superb line breaking speeds and is generally a good kick of the ball. He needs to start winning some more of his own ball and whilst he has slowly started to improve that it is still a major deficiency for him. His tackling game needs some more work on it too but he does have the potential to be a very good pick up later on in this years draft.
42. Western Bulldogs: Tom Vlandeluer – Defender – (191cm/89kg)
Tom has some experience playing as a key defender but he is far better suited to playing that third tall role. He is quite athletic and can not only keep his opponent quiet but he can also provide a fair bit in terms of rebound. He can play on those smaller types and has been thrown into the midfield once or twice to perform a tagging role which he went alright in. He does remind me a bit of Joel Patfull.
43. West Coast: Errin Wasley-Black – Defender -(188cm/73kg)
This kid is an interesting prospect, no doubt. He had the perfect start to the year but he dropped off reasonably quick. Some of the stuff this guy can do on the field is simply breathtaking. But he just doesn’t do it nowhere near enough to go in the first two round imo. Earlier this year many had him pegged as going top 20. There are a few who still do rate him relatively highly as a second round prospect but I like many others, just can’t see that happening on draft day. Just goes to show how quick kids can fall off the radar a bit. His kicking is quite good and he provides lots of run from defence. His defensive game can be really good one week and then poor the next. But he does struggle to find an effective balance between his defensive and offensive game, which at times cost him and his team in general. His speed is pretty good and he went well in the endurance type tests at the combine. Could become a very good player at the next level or he could very well be a bust.
44. Sydney Swans: James Sicily – Midfielder/Forward – (186cm/75kg)
Sicily is a promising young kid. Had a great year in the TAC Cup. He is more of an outside midfielder or a leading half forward flanker. He reminds me a little bit of Bewick or even Fyfe in some aspects. He will get plenty of the ball and will get and the scoreboard but his kicking can really let him down at times. He has improved a bit during the year but he will need to continue doing so at the next level. He is a very fast, strong and smart player who is also great overhead. He has all the tools to become a good player at the next level. He just needs to work on a couple of things first. He could probably push top 30 or he could end up sliding down into the 50’s.
45. Port Adelaide: Daniel McStay – Utility – (193cm/88kg)
Brisbane should recruit this kid based of his last name alone. McStay can play at either end of the ground to a good level. With that said, he is better suited in attack. He has good athleticism and reads the play well. His kicking is also decent for a big fella. He is a good contested mark but he doesn’t really impose himself on the contest a great deal. I'm not his biggest fan but he could become a nice tall forward or third tall forward.
46. Adelaide: James Battersby – Defender/Midfielder – (177cm/78kg)
I’m a fan of Battersby and he impressed me this year over in the SANFL. But I’m not too sure on where to place him. He is on the short side but it hasn’t really stopped him from showing his ability at senior level. At this stage he is more of a defender who will just run and carry the ball out of defence all day long. He is an excellent user of the footy by both hand and feet. He really just weights those kicks perfectly. He is just your ultra-consistent half back who is going to get a fair bit of the footy. His 1v1 game is at an acceptable level but he will need to work on it a bit more once he arrives at and AFL club. He has shown strong form at all levels.
47. North Melbourne: Nick Favretto – Midfielder – (185cm/88kg)
Big time ball winner who can kick goals and looks to be a a very handy outside midfielder who can consistently break the lines. Has been very dominant this year and has good speed. His kicking has improved a fair bit but he still has plenty of work to do on it. I had him top 30 earlier in the year but he has slid down the rankings a bit as some of the others have overtaken him in my eyes, not to mention he only played one game in this years national carnival which wouldn’t have helped his case with many of the recruiters. He performed pretty well at all levels over is SA this year and impressed me in the game I saw of him in the seniors. He does need to improve his defensive game and endurance significantly before he can make an impact at the next level. His inside game is also fairly average and will need to improve. But he has shown some good signs in that regard. His kicking for the most part has been pretty poor but he has improved a fair bit too. One who has a good scope for improvement. Could very well go in the top 35 or so in this years draft but could easily slide down into the 50’s or 60’s
48. GWS: Toby Nankervis – Ruckman/Forward – (199cm/103kg)
Big strong lad who really improved this year. He is probably the best ruck/forward in this years draft pool. Really played in this years champs and showed his forward ability too. Sure, you could argue that he is a year older and has a far bigger body than most of the other guys but he doesn’t just rely on his big body to dominate his opposition. He moves quite well and is a strong overhead mark. Spoke to my scout mate who seems to think he won’t get taken in the main draft. But I’ve included him anyway.
49. West Coast: George Hewett – Midfielder – (185cm/78kg)
Hewett is one who has seemed to shoot up the rankings a bit. Hewett possesses a good inside game but has also shown some ability on the outside. Probably not the type to burst onto the scene in his first year of AFL football but he could surprise the football community in a couple of years time. He has good skills by hand and is a good kick on both feet. He played good at the champs this year and a couple of recruiters have their eye on him. He can push forward and be quite dangerous too. All in all, Hewett is a very classy player.
50. Richmond: Issac Conway – Midfielder – (182cm/85kg)
Big strong inside midfielder who can probably count himself unlucky not to get picked up by the Lions via the academy. The main reason we passed on him is because we didn’t want to lock in any of our picks knowing that we were going to make a lot of traded in the trade period, as out list manager Rob Kerr has stated. Conway played most of this year down in the backline where they were trying to get him to round off his game a bit. But he does his best work on the inside. I don’t really get to see much of the Queensland boys and I found it hard to evaluate Conway’s draft worth as he was playing down back from what I had seen of him. At least until the Brisbane Lions vs Aspley (Conways was playing for Aspley )Grand Final in the NEAFL. Conway was arguably best on ground in the first half. Sure you can say the NEAFL is an inferior competition to the VFL and co but he still showed he could line up against the big blokes who are already on a AFL list. He dropped off a bit in the second half of the game which comes down to his endurance. Needs to work on a few things and add another string or two to his bow but he has some potential.
51. Carlton: Darcy Lang – Midfielder – (181cm/81kg)
Lang was in good form during this years champs before picking up an injury. He is mainly an inside player but he has all the tools that sets him apart from your average inside player. He has the speed, skills, evasive ability that makes him look a class above. He could seriously push top 25 in this years draft. I’m unsure of what he injured but I don’t think it was anything too serious.

52. Port Adelaide: Josh Pitson – Defender – (185cm/75kg)
Josh is a very exciting young talent. You just have to look at his highlights video to see some of the stuff he can do. He has been mentioned a couple of times around here but I still feel he is generally underrated by most on here. Josh possesses very good speed and will often break the lines out of defence and he will run up to the wing and deliver to ball long into the forward half. One thing he does really well is he keeps on pushing up and it really seems to pay off for him. I’ve seen countless of times take on 3 players and manage to run pass them all. Very clam under pressure and shows great evasive ability. He has good skills and is quite a smart player. Defensively, he needs to work a bit harder but he can at times look really good in that aspect of his game often chasing and impacting the contest going third man up. Starting to become my favourite player of this years draft.
53. Sydney Swans: Jarmen Impey – Forward/Midfield – (176cm/71kg)
Impey is one who I think has been massively overrated on here. Sure he shows the odd flash of brilliance or two but I was largely impressed by him from what I have seen. So I’ve certainly got him a fair bit lower than some others. He is an average crumber who seemed to fumble to ball a fair bit. Sure he has great speed and a good defensive game but he made to many costly mistake in the games I seen him play.
54. Geelong: Rookie Upgrade
55. Essendon: Michael Apeness – Forward – (199cm/101kg)

Before this year people mainly thought of Apeness as a ruckman, but this year he has spent a bit more time up forward and certainly showed a fair bit. Probably enough to suggest that is the main position he will end up playing at the next level. Sure some applaud his ability to go and play in the ruck. But he is a below average ruckman at best. He needs to do some serious work on his ruck game. Apeness has a big body and often uses it to his advantage. Strong contested mark who is usually a reliable kick for goal. Apeness is also a pretty good field kick generally hitting most of his targets. He didn’t really look to have the best athletic ability either. His leading patterns as a forward looked okay but he will need to continue working on that at the next level. Will certainly be interesting to see where he ends up getting taken.
56. Hawthorn: Johnathan Marsh – Midfielder/Forward – (191cm/89kg)
Marsh possesses brilliant speed and is good by foot. I’m unsure of what position he will play at the next level. I’ve got him pretty low at this stage but that’s only because I’m struggling to see where he ends up playing. He could become a star but there is a fair chance he will be a bust. Been played as a KPF in recent times and he went alright but it certainly doesn’t look like he will play in that position at the next level. He might settle onto a wing or could even end up down back with his pace and skill.

Last edited:

Cheers. :thumbsu:

At this stage, I see him going somewhere between picks 15 and 25.
Wouldn't object to that, would love him with our second pick if we get Boyd. :p Think GWS will take him without batting an eyelid though to be honest. At this point I'm (realistically) favouring something along the lines of Aish + Hourigan/Lennon. A lot will change from now 'til draft time though.

Wouldn't object to that, would love him with our second pick if we get Boyd. :p Think GWS will take him without batting an eyelid though to be honest. At this point I'm (realistically) favouring something along the lines of Aish + Hourigan/Lennon. A lot will change from now 'til draft time though.

I can see the Doggies finishing with pick 3. I think Aish is more likely to be available at pick 3 then Boyd is. If Aish and Boyd get sapped up before your first pick, then I'd be going for Josh Kelly. :thumbsu:

Depending on where the club see Stringer ending up, I'd probably go Lennon over Hourigan. :thumbsu:

And yep, many unheard of players will come into conclusions after the U18 Champs.

I can see the Doggies finishing with pick 3. I think Aish is more likely to be available at pick 3 then Boyd is. If Aish and Boyd get sapped up before your first pick, then I'd be going for Josh Kelly. :thumbsu:

Depending on where the club see Stringer ending up, I'd probably go Lennon over Hourigan. :thumbsu:

And yep, many unheard of players will come into conclusions after the U18 Champs.
Given our draw and our recent efforts I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with pick 2 to be honest, although I'm still not sure we'll finish below the Giants. Would need pick 1 to grab Boyd I'd think.
Unless Josh can build more of an inside game I can't see us taking him to be honest. We need outside run but our coach is very high on being able to win the contested ball as well. Can't really see us taking a genuine outside mid.

I think Stringer will develop into more of a midfielder, we definitely need a KPP in this draft somewhere. Preferably a key forward and a key defender as well.

Given our draw and our recent efforts I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up with pick 2 to be honest, although I'm still not sure we'll finish below the Giants. Would need pick 1 to grab Boyd I'd think.
Unless Josh can build more of an inside game I can't see us taking him to be honest. We need outside run but our coach is very high on being able to win the contested ball as well. Can't really see us taking a genuine outside mid.

I think Stringer will develop into more of a midfielder, we definitely need a KPP in this draft somewhere. Preferably a key forward and a key defender as well.

Kelly should get that part of him game up to scratch at whatever club picks him up.

If the club shares your Views on Stringer, then I'd probably go for Hourigan.

Nice and early this year Cotter. Three selections I liked we're Crouch to Brisbane, Reynolds to Port and Salem to Geelong. All of them would do very well at those clubs, Salem with Geelong's development record is just plain scary.

Thanks Sin City.:thumbsu:

Agree with Salem, I feel Geelong is the type of club he would blossom at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Josh Kelly sounds like a good prospect.

Overall, how is this draft shaping in terms of high-end and depth of talent?

Many thought Kelly would be picked up in the mini draft last year.

I think the high end talent of this draft is a fair bit better than last years. The depth is better than what most people will give it credit for.

As a Melbourne fan, whilst I do recognize the fact that our midfield is easily the worst in the competition and we really should address it with Pick 2/3/4 or whatever we end up with, I think there is an outside chance we might go with Boyd if he is available.

At the moment, our KPF stocks are pretty healthy; Clark, Dawes, Hogan and a plethora of young aspiring Ruck/Forwards (Gawn, Fitzpatrick, Pedersen etc)

However, one logical reason I believe we should go for Boyd is that we have no one ready and able to fill in for the aging Jamar. Drafting another genuine gorilla up forward can perhaps release Clark into the ruck, the position where he was shortlisted as AA back when he was at Brisbane.

So yeah, if we finish as low as many are predicting, we will still have a pretty decent second round pick to use on a midfielder.

2014-2015

R: Jamar
KPF: Clark, Dawes, Hogan

2016 and beyond

R: Clark
KPF: Dawes, Hogan, Boyd

Can Kade play through the middle? Our defensive stocks are very good at the moment, what we need is midfielders.

As a Melbourne fan, whilst I do recognize the fact that our midfield is easily the worst in the competition and we really should address it with Pick 2/3/4 or whatever we end up with, I think there is an outside chance we might go with Boyd if he is available.

At the moment, our KPF stocks are pretty healthy; Clark, Dawes, Hogan and a plethora of young aspiring Ruck/Forwards (Gawn, Fitzpatrick, Pedersen etc)

However, one logical reason I believe we should go for Boyd is that we have no one ready and able to fill in for the aging Jamar. Drafting another genuine gorilla up forward can perhaps release Clark into the ruck, the position where he was shortlisted as AA back when he was at Brisbane.

So yeah, if we finish as low as many are predicting, we will still have a pretty decent second round pick to use on a midfielder.

2014-2015

2016 and beyond

from what I understood mitch didnt like playing ruck at all and wanted to establish himself as a forward and a club like melbourne would allow him to do that

2014-2015

2016 and beyond

I'd say it'd be unlikely that you will go for Boyd. I'd rather see how Hogan goes next year, but you can't expect him to dominate from day 1.

I think Melbourne should focus on getting their midfield right. It's probably the worst in the competition at the moment.

There will be other KPF's available over the next few drafts that will be worthy of a high pick. And let's face it, Melbourne won't be challenging anytime soon and will have other chances to snare another young prospect.

I think if Jamar retires at the end of the season, you could throw Clark in there next year and have him rotating with Gawn who has showed a fair bit this year.

from what I understood mitch didnt like playing ruck at all and wanted to establish himself as a forward and a club like melbourne would allow him to do that

Didn't he released an article saying that or is my memory betraying me? With the money they are paying him, they have the right to play him wherever they want to.

Didn't he released an article saying that or is my memory betraying me? With the money they are paying him, they have the right to play him wherever they want to.

yeah pretty sure he said that but yeah definetey should be used as a ruck/forward, the ruck is easily his best position

First of all, well done.

I love the sound of Josh Kelly. His description is exactly what we need in a player. Exceptional outside run and skills. If we end up with pick 5 I see us taking him or perhaps Billings unless somehow Boyd or Aish were also available which at this stage looks incredibly unlikely.

Would it be fair to say this draft is choc full of mids and lacks high end quality key backs? We desperately need a talented key back but history would suggest we won't use a high pick on one. Do you see any decent key backs available come the second and third rounds?

On a side note, where would you have Martin and Hogan in your draft order?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back