List Mgmt. Crows Defence

Remove this Banner Ad

George Kramer

Premium Platinum
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
We’ve stacked our forward line and now defence.

We are building some serious talent down there if they all play in defence which they can’t.

How do we fit them in and how does Petty fit into it given he seems to be a lock for 2025.

Key Defenders - Murray/Petty/Butts/Keane
Third Talls - Worrell/Curtin/Burgess
Half Backs - Milera/Hinge/Smith/Nank/Ryan
Small Defenders- Max (although not small)/ Parnell

Petty could play forward
Curtin hopefully plays mid but won’t happen straight away
Smith was moved wing late so suggests he stays there

How the hell are we going to play them all? Made a little easier with Murray’s injury for next year and no Petty, but in 2025?

Max Murray Worrell
Milera Petty Hinge
Curtin/Nank rotate there and other roles?

How do we fit them all in?

Even more so with that rumour about Luko joining us as well. Makes it even harder.

Still lack a genuine lock down small defender.

Ie Luke Brown.

No nonsense, know that he would do the job each week with minimal fanfare.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ie Luke Brown.

Max is that guy for us, but should end up providing better run and rebound than Brown

A lot of it depends on where Curtin is developed

If he ends up a KPD (in the style of a Steven May), Petty probably plays forward, and a guy like Nank or Ryan occupies that 7th defensive spot

If he ends up a roaming defender like Tom Stewart or a tall mid, Petty plays CHB

Max is that guy for us, but should end up providing better run and rebound than Brown
Maybe.

Max is a great player, but not sure about being able to stop small forwards.

I guess I could be wrong. Did any small firward really hurt us in 2023? Max's first season.

Overall our backline is pretty solid. Even when Murray and Butts out is good.

And will be better going forward.

You win Premierships with great backlines.

Maybe.

I guess I could be wrong. Did any small firward really hurt us in 2023? Max's first season.

Only one who got to him was Cameron if I remember correctly, which fair enough, it is Cameron after all.

For a first year, Max did a very solid job despite being thrown to the wolves.

Ie Luke Brown.

I was also thinking that... but do we need one though?

Our premiership side had players who could attack & defend. Hart, Smart, etc.

Reckon the likes of Max, Hinge, etc all capable of doing so too.

Maybe.

What?

Max pretty much shut down nearly every dangerous forward he played on this year. Think he had only 1 poor game.

A lot of it depends on where Curtin is developed

If he ends up a KPD (in the style of a Steven May), Petty probably plays forward, and a guy like Nank or Ryan occupies that 7th defensive spot

If he ends up a roaming defender like Tom Stewart or a tall mid, Petty plays CHB
Hamish kept referring to Curtin's time as a FWD this year, but admitted he'll start his career in DEF.....IMO such a talent would be wasted as a stopper

We lose Himmelberg next year .....and potentially Tex

Adding Curtin to Thilthorpe, and Fog has some real appeal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hamish kept referring to Curtin's time as a FWD this year, but admitted he'll start his career in DEF.....IMO such a talent would be wasted as a stopper

Reckon using him as a forward would minimise the impact of his excellent field kicking

Curtin would never just be a stopper in defence, would give us some real offensive drive from there

That said, having that drive from the middle would be even better

Rotating Curtin with Dawson as midfielder/forwards with the likes of Pedlar, Rachele, Soligo & Taylor...

I can’t see Melbourne solving their tall issues in a year, meaning we’d have to pay overs for Petty again in 2024. By the 2025 off-season, we should have a better grasp of where Curtin will end up, and therefore if Petty is still a need.

I can’t see Melbourne solving their tall issues in a year, meaning we’d have to pay overs for Petty again in 2024. By the 2025 off-season, we should have a better grasp of where Curtin will end up, and therefore if Petty is still a need.
May be more of a need for us as a Tex replacement.

We should be desperate to give up a heap of picks for him next trade period.

Any chance we delist Himmelberg this year for GWS to pick him up as a free agent?
Would there be any rules stopping that from happening

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Any chance we delist Himmelberg this year for GWS to pick him up as a free agent?

0% chance.

Expect we will trade him to GWS next year.

Petty averaged less than a goal a game last year, and Melbourne's forward line sucked

I'm not really interested in investing a first round pick into an average forward.
He's only had limited games as a forward... but is a genuine swing man.

He's a quality player, so if he wants to come home, we will grab him.

We just shouldn't be paying crazy overs & may need to wait till the end of his contract if Dees go all SOS on us.

He's only had limited games as a forward... but is a genuine swing man.

He's a quality player, so if he wants to come home, we will grab him.

We just shouldn't be paying crazy overs & may need to wait till the end of his contract if Dees go all SOS on us.
Agreed, if it’s going to cost us something silly, wait until he’s a FA. But I feel we would have committed to him and will want to get the deal done.

Agreed, if it’s going to cost us something silly, wait until he’s a FA. But I feel we would have committed to him and will want to get the deal done.
I mean, if the cost is two firsts next year, I’m still telling the Dees to get ****ed

I can see it maybe being a first and an F2, particularly if young Jefferson comes on for them and our first is likely to be behind a Welsh bid

Always a chance .....we may however prefer to trade & accumulate points for Welsh .....particularly, given we lost a F2 to get Curtin

Remove this Banner Ad

Back