List Mgmt. Crows Defence

Remove this Banner Ad

Did he play on the small forwards though? I recall him being pretty good against big guys too.

Max was brilliant for a first year defender. But I recall him playing more on bigger guys.

I kind of think he is too good to play that "Luke Brown" role long term.

As you said/ eluded to on another post. Do you need that kind of defender anyway.

Maybe not.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Charlie Cameron
Jamie Elliot
Shai Bolton

Off top of my head

I’ve gone a bit cool on the idea of him coming to play defence , agree with you our defence looks STACKED

If he has a great year forward and Tex is closer to retirement then I’d more than consider him as a forward
Maybe Murray becomes a forward option? His aggression and ability to crash packs would be a great foil for people like Fog and TT who are more lead/mark players

Doedee played on Greene

Yep after that he played on all the guns
Burns went to Nicks that week and said I know we can't do it first up, but Max is our best match up for Greene.

They had a bit of a laugh about it. About how quickly Max was adjusting to the level, the absurdity that he'd leapfrog our entire defensive group in one preseason. That they'd even realistically consider a kid on debut up against arguably the best player in the competition. They knew he was coming quickly.

After Greene lit us up they said **** it and just gave him the toughest match ups from then on. Forget timelines, forget conventional thinking.

He only got shown up once or twice too. Amazing season really

I think Cameron and Greene (in Sloane's 250th) were the only two that got on top of Michalanney in his first season.
If I’m recalling correctly he was also forced to play as a friggin KPD in the Essendon game when we went in a tall short, naturally he struggled on whichever KPF he was matched up with that day… shitty selection and coaching set our boy up

But yep really the only “marks” against him in his debut season were struggling on the two best small forwards in the game, apart from that he was solid as a rock. Love him

Last edited:
They will also play Himmelberg in defense this year, I hope he does well as a 200cm defender would be ideal given Butts and Curtin are the old 197 or taller players we have.

BUT can cement hands actually have enough intensity to defend

The other is Bond who they are grooming as defender. Let's hope last year was injury related as he was shite

They will also play Himmelberg in defense this year, I hope he does well as a 200cm defender would be ideal given Butts and Curtin are the old 197 or taller players we have.

BUT can cement hands actually have enough intensity to defend

The other is Bond who they are grooming as defender. Let's hope last year was injury related as he was shite
He will be a spectacular fail in defence

He will get turned around too easily , forwards will lead him up ground then whooshka be going back towards goals before he knows where they’ve gone

He’s reasonable cover as a forward / ruck , if he could get his consistency and intensity up he wouldn’t be far off

Maybe Murray becomes a forward option? His aggression and ability to crash packs would be a great foil for people like Fog and TT who are more lead/mark players
No Murray is a very good defender , expect him to be our best key defender long term and no need to mess around with that

The ACL will be a challenge so let’s get thru that first

He will be a spectacular fail in defence

He will get turned around too easily , forwards will lead him up ground then whooshka be going back towards goals before he knows where they’ve gone

He’s reasonable cover as a forward / ruck , if he could get his consistency and intensity up he wouldn’t be far off
Berg could be an option on some 2m type players, but not on the more mobile types.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No Murray is a very good defender , expect him to be our best key defender long term and no need to mess around with that

The ACL will be a challenge so let’s get thru that first
Imo, Murray could play forward if we had the need in the future, but wait till he is fully recovered... & doubt there will be a need anytime soon.

Burgess & Worrell capable of going forward this year if we have 3/4 of Tex, Fog, Thilthorpe & Berg injured.

Fair, but if Welsh is ranked say, top 5, it’s gonna be tough to get ahead of that bid, even if we hold pick 8 or 9. Look at what the Dogs gave up for 5 this year

Would be worth throwing a F1 in to get ahead of the bid if Welsh is top 5. Get a pick 3-4 mid and we are complete

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yup. He was our match up against every teams primary small forward. Heck, we famously debuted him against Toby Greene of all people and this was the description for his emerging talent award:

A trademark of Michalanney’s debut season was his ability to play on the best small forwards in the competition, showing maturity and composure beyond his years.

With needing that kind of 'Luke Brown' defender, I think it's more a case of opportunity cost then necessity. In that, back pocket isn't worth it as a position to look at upgrading if you've got a guy who can do a reasonable job against the top tier small forwards. If you get a guy who can do that to a reasonable degree and hurt the other way? take it and run.

The names Bond….Hugh Bond. That’s who we have earmarked for Luke Brown role. Hopefully he comes on next year - tough kid and one of those non statistical contributors

The names Bond….Hugh Bond. That’s who we have earmarked for Luke Brown role. Hopefully he comes on next year - tough kid and one of those non statistical contributors

Where did he mostly play in the SANFL this year

I highly doubt we've earmarked anyone for the Luke Brown role. After all, Max Michaelanny has happened.

Bond may be a contingency there, but that's about it.

Maybe.

Max is a great player, but not sure about being able to stop small forwards.

I guess I could be wrong. Did any small firward really hurt us in 2023? Max's first season.

Overall our backline is pretty solid. Even when Murray and Butts out is good.

And will be better going forward.

You win Premierships with great backlines.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

he stopped a few in 2023

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I highly doubt we've earmarked anyone for the Luke Brown role. After all, Max Michaelanny has happened.

Bond may be a contingency there, but that's about it.
Think about 10 years ago compared to now , not many pure stoppers these days so I agree with you

Michaelanny can stop but then attack and the attacking part will only get better as time goes on too

Think about 10 years ago compared to now , not many pure stoppers these days so I agree with you

Michaelanny can stop but then attack and the attacking part will only get better as time goes on too

I have mentioned on plenty of threads about our defensive change over the past 3 seasons - going from an offensively challenged back 6 with players like Brown, Parnell, McPherson, Kelly, Doedee to shifting towards guys who aren't afraid to move the ball quickly and long like Max, Worrell, Hinge, Milera.

As the game continues to evolve it feels like we will be moving toward these more athletically gifted defenders. I think we will be looking like going into the season with 1 or 2 pure lock down defenders (2 of Murray/Butts/Keane) and then having a gaggle of 190cm+ attacking defenders who can play a variety of roles. Longterm I would like to see us only select 1 of those (2023 Murray in an ideal world) and have Worrell become KPD 2.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back