2nds Crows Reserves vs Port Adelaide - Round 5 @ Clare

Remove this Banner Ad

The meltdown on the Cows reserve thread is as epic as their meltdown on their gameday thread yesterday.

The meltdown on the Cows reserve thread is as epic as their meltdown on their gameday thread yesterday.

Ther is a 5AA SANFL show on tonight but i don't think they do talkback.

I'm quite enjoying the Centrals crash back to Earth as I work in the Northern Suburbs. The only club i'm looking forward to coming down more is Geelong, who much like Centrals supporters in their heyday thought the rivers of gold were never going to end.

That game had the worst atmosphere of any match I've ever been at (even Grimsby v Macclesfield on a wet Tuesday night).

Flynn was great as was Krakouer.

hehehehehehe :D and then reminding them during the week as well
A couple of years ago my boss spoke to me when I was in his office. He said, "Why don't you ditch Port, and start following a real team?" Of course I politely declined :)

Ain't karma a bitch? LOL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was a very enjoyable game played on a great oval with a crowd who I think fell asleep before the first bounce and only awoke at the last change. In all seriousness, there was more atmosphere at a mates amateur soccer game I went to last year at Hindmarsh which had about 40 people at it. Pretty much all people did was sit down in their deck chairs and didnt utter a single peep for the game. Was bizarre. Fire up people. Literally the only time anyone outside of a select few uttered a peep was when goals were kicked. Nothing with tackles, nothing with marks. Is this what Crows home games are normally like?

One thing we've got over them is a very diverse playing group. Lots of different types of players and it works well. The crows seem to have two types - Utterly useless talls (Mckernan, LJ, Graham, Siggins) and short, fat, slow mids who cant kick (Battersby, Martin, Knight, Robinson, CEY). Which got much more pace and diversity to our squad and it told today. We had talls who could take a grab and kick a goal, weren't relying on one player to win it, a range of mids from taller guys, gutsy guys, quick smalls, all ball winners. Defence worked really well.

We went off with a bang and controlled the play for all bar 10 minutes in the third quarter when they looked like getting back into it. Summo, Neade, Mitchell and Gray were great. Harvey, Bruggemann, Haren were great as talls. Everyone contributed.

Player Reviews:
Summerton - Captain fantastic at his very best. Just works so hard up and down the ground finding gaps to run into and provide an option. Gets plenty in close and knows how to get it to the outside under pressure. Was best on for me...again. Could easily be on double figure Magarey votes now.

Heath - Did a fantastic job on Johnston. Those that want Johnston at our club need to wash their mouth out with soap. Soft as. Heath defensively was sound, was right on his hammer the whole day. Kept him markless and scoreless. Heath at his best!

Renouf - Better around the ground than normal and played alright in the ruck. Kicked a ripper goal.

Bruggemann - The star of the day for mine. Took the 4 best marks of the day. Competed so well. Ran through packs and looked so clever with the ball. Gave Mckernan an absolute bath. Kicked 2 goals. The raging bull. 2nd best on for me.

Haren - Loved his game again. Just continues to perform. Was manned by Siggins for most of the day and thought he had the better of him. Was able to work into better spots and his marking was clever. 3 goals. Good performance.

Butcher - Strong early, then went missing, then a decent last quarter. Was well beaten by Rutten for most of the day but still managed 2 goals. Just needs to find a way to compete for longer.

O'Shea - Very very good. Blocked off the space in front of Walker well for some of the day before having a run further up the ground. Lots of typical Cam runs out of defence and good skills.

Krakouer - Jeez he looked good. Very good. Lots of reminiscent run out of defence but I loved his attack on the ball. It was manic. Significantly better than it ever was before. Well in our best players.

Clurey - Thought his battle with walker was a good one. Kept Walker well out of it in the first half and Tex only really had a 10 minute purple patch in the third quarter. 2 of his 4 goals were the worst kicks that somehow wobble through. Thought Clurey ran off him well and did a good job craeting a switch option.

Slattery - Invisible. Literally didnt see him till the last quarter.

Moore - Really liked his game. So much hard work in packs and off the ball, putting on blocks. Skills could have been better at times but thought he was well in our best players.

Biemans - Neat little game in a back pocket and back flank. Great long kick on him.

Harvey - Enjoyed his game again. Was kept out of it for large periods but always kept working and when he does get near it he looks really good. Strong grab, great accurate kick. Its great to see him playing this well in year 1.

Neade - Probably better than hes played all year. Could give the first option more often...tends to over play it sometimes but loved how he always kept the ball in front and is just so clever in getting out of trouble. Good game.

Mitchell - Superstar at this level. So good at the stoppages and just runs like an idiot all day. Any other week he could be considered best on but had a couple others ahead of him today.

Hawkins - Thought he had a ripper first half but didnt see much of him after half time. Great pace and ability to get out of trouble, but needs to put on some weight.

Amon - Best game this year by a mile. My only criticism of his play is he tends to fumble the first touch too often. Often needs 2 or sometimes 3 touches to collect the ball and get going. If he can learn to one touch collect the ball more, or put some grippo on his hands then he'll be even more damaging than what he was today. Foudn great space on a wing and enjoyed what he coudl do with the ball today.

Logan - Did a good defensive job on a couple of players without really getting out of 2nd gear.

Flynn - Lots to work with. 1 or 2 really good plays with the ball including a top grab. In addition, there was probably 4 or 5 really clever things he did off the ball that wouldnt have been seen on the telecast. Is a bit like a dog without a leash at times just constantly running. Look forward to seeing what he can do in coming weeks. Wanna see him get the ball more because hes just so good with it.

Gray - Great game. Not as much of the ball as normal but was excellent when he got it. Couple of well earned goals.

Young - Really enjoyed a couple of neat cameos including an incredible spin turn out of trouble that led to a goal in the third quarter. Got a lot of talent, just needs some size.

Thanks Macca. This was the first Maggies game i'd watched in it's entirety since the preseason double header, and boy is Summerton a good player. He's just in everything at that level and uses it really well. If you asked me to pick out the guys who were on the fringe of AFL selection without prior knowledge, i'd have said him for sure.

Was a great day today. Was a great atmosphere, I think the Crowd did seem a bit quiet, but I think most of them had used their voices in the Clare Derby (North Clare vs South Clare). Port supporters got more vocal as the game went on, though.

Just over 5000 there, few people said they expected more (I was expecting 6000-7000). Managed to get a good spot (right by the fence), was worried I wouldn't be able to. Although I picked the wrong side of the ground as most of the play seemed to be over on the eastern side of the ground (where the main gates are).

Crows played well, but extra well done to Port.

Might have to go to Alberton later in the year for the next one.

At one point, in the third quarter I think it was, a Port player took a mark and was collected by a rushing Tex Walker. There didn't appear to be anything in it but if Tex was suspended for 1 match, would he be able to play against Collingwood? He would have to sit out the SANFL match but the cows have an AFL bye so would any suspension apply to the AFL at the next available match?

I think this came up last time he was suspended at AFL or SANFL level, Norwood had the bye when he was suspended or something like that.

I'm pretty sure that the bye is not included, so IF it is looked at and he gets in strife, then he won't be fronting against Collingwood.

Can someone else clarify please.

That game had the worst atmosphere of any match I've ever been at (even Grimsby v Macclesfield on a wet Tuesday night).

Flynn was great as was Krakouer.

The Macc Lads are one of the greatest bands ever.

At one point, in the third quarter I think it was, a Port player took a mark and was collected by a rushing Tex Walker. There didn't appear to be anything in it but if Tex was suspended for 1 match, would he be able to play against Collingwood? He would have to sit out the SANFL match but the cows have an AFL bye so would any suspension apply to the AFL at the next available match?
Was O'Shea. Nothing in it, courageous mark from O'Shea. Looked like Walker went to him afterwards to see if he was okay.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back