Traded Curtly Hampton [traded to Adelaide for 2016 second rounder]

Remove this Banner Ad

hench

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Jun 20, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The Herald Sun is reporting that Greater Western Sydney defender Curtly Hampton looks likely to head to Adelaide for one of their second-round selections next year.

Hampton struggled to play regular senior football for the Giants in 2015 despite some solid form in the NEAFL.

GWS will likely use this year's draft to take some quality players from their academy with youngsters such as Jacob Hopper and Matt Kennedy in their sights.

The Giants used two draft selections on academy players Jack Steele and Jeremy Finlayson in last year's draft and will look to stock up on picks for 2016, which many believe will be a stronger draft.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-11/trade-winds-roos-pounce-on-demon

We are still waiting on Hampton to show that he truelly belongs in the AFL

Not sure if he would crack the best 22 at Adelaide anyway

He's contracted so it ups the price. Sheedy thought he was the most talented of the kids we picked as under-ages or zones selections but he lacks consistency.

We've nicknamed him "WTF" because it's used breathlessly in admiration and despair in equal measure.
At this point he is depth for us. Cant see him getting past Smith, Matty J or even Cheney really.

If he could fulfill his natural ability he will be a bargain as a 3rd rounder. We have had quite few show less than he has and go onto bigger and better things. Wouldn't discount him in being one to turn it around.

I doubt we will give GWS our 2016 2nd rounder for Hampton. Firstly, he's not worth that, GWS are happy to let him go, and if that was going to be the deal why hasn't it been done already?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its been pretty much confirmed we do. And why wouldnt we? Allows VB and Mackay to play SANFL

Don't see both of them being best 22, that's all

I like how everyone is saying he's not worth a second rounder when for the last couple of years every time a commentator or a winger on BF talks about how many first rounders and top ten players we have on our list, the number they use can only be achieved if you count Hampton.

You listen to the likes of Lynch during a game and he'll regularly break out with - oh well they've got 27 first rounders on their list. The only way they could get that figure is
a) incluse the guys we traded for like Stephen Gillham and
b) include all our zone and under age selections like Shiel and Hampton

and even then you still couldn't get to 27. I'm not going to go searching through rubbishy old threads complaining about how we got too many concessions and look at all these top players we got for nothing - but Hampton's name was often mentioned as a first round equivalent.

That said - I don't think he's a first rounder - but he is definitely worth a second round pick and given Adelaide got an extra one in the Dangerfield deal, it should be too hard to give one up for a player like Curtley.

I admit I don't know much about him except:

- he played 5 games last year, ave possessions per game of 11
- he's played 51 games in four years, so not regularly in your best 22 (and you have not been a strong team over that period)
- gubby seems happy to trade him I. E. He's not a required player
- your supporters call him WTF (in both admiration and despair at different times).

So he's far from a sure thing to be in our best 22, therefore, IMHO not worth a second rounder.

Reid and Noble will know more than me though, so if they think he's a second rounder he will be I guess.

And we'll need a second rounder for Seedsman, and want to keep the other one.

Why do you think the deal for 2016 second rounder hasn't been done?

Probably because Hampton isn't worth pick 28 (32 being used on Seedsman?). We are likely to be involved in a three way trade.
Im thinking our deal with GWS might be more than just Hampton. Adelaide want to get a bit higher in the draft, and all GWS need pick 7 for is to pay for an academy player, so if we can parcel up our pick 13 with a second rounder, it maybe better for GWS points wise and so GWS get pick 13 and 28, Crows get pick 7 and Hampton.

Leon Cameron just said on Trade Radio, deal likely today with Adelaide for a 2nd rounder. Didn't say which one (Adelaide have 2 at present) or which year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back