Phantom Draft Davo-27's Power Rankings + Phantom Draft (updated)

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL have implemented a draft program to calculate all this on the night. Bidding will occur live.

This is very important in regards to bidding points. If done live then the father-son or academy players do not all get done at once with original points values. However if done early in morning or day before it is very different scenario as no change in order or points.
I have yet to read this on AFL site yet. I know they said their aim was to do it live but would love to read where it says it is going ahead for sure. Is there a link to an article that says this is a done deal now ?

This is very important in regards to bidding points. If done live then the father-son or academy players do not all get done at once with original points values. However if done early in morning or day before it is very different scenario as no change in order or points.
I have yet to read this on AFL site yet. I know they said their aim was to do it live but would love to read where it says it is going ahead for sure. Is there a link to an article that says this is a done deal now ?

Where do you have all the father sons and academy players in the bidding order?

Where do you have all the father sons and academy players in the bidding order?

I got no idea. I do not follow under 18's closely at all. They are virtually just names to me at this stage I see mentioned in media headlines or here. I barely remember their names at this stage.
I only know Mills is talked up big as if one of the best in this draft pool and a guy like Bailey Rice probably not talked up like a first rounder type. Jack Silvagni one of youngest in the draft pool so would normally be picked up a little later for a father-son pick but with new bidding system who knows. Josh Dunkley another father-son pick type that may well be of value. I hope it is done all live and can follow along.
I will be very interested if it is done live to see when a club bids on Mills. If Carlton were to bid on him as a random example. I will be interested to see the live change of draft order as Swans match the bid and all their original picks get downgraded to later in draft and other clubs picks get shifted forward and therefore live value of those picks increase for other clubs including the original picks 59 and 60 of Carlton that I assume ear marked for Jack Silvagni points. The more players that get bid on before we want to claim Silvagni the better. That is of course if it is done live on the night. If it is not then it is a totally different points system in effect. It is why I am keen to know if it is really going to be done in real time of draft or prior to draft. I have not heard anything official on that front.

I got no idea. I do not follow under 18's closely at all. They are virtually just names to me at this stage I see mentioned in media headlines or here. I barely remember their names at this stage.
I only know Mills is talked up big as if one of the best in this draft pool and a guy like Bailey Rice probably not talked up like a first rounder type. Jack Silvagni one of youngest in the draft pool so would normally be picked up a little later for a father-son pick but with new bidding system who knows. Josh Dunkley another father-son pick type that may well be of value. I hope it is done all live and can follow along.
I will be very interested if it is done live to see when a club bids on Mills. If Carlton were to bid on him as a random example. I will be interested to see the live change of draft order as Swans match the bid and all their original picks get downgraded to later in draft and other clubs picks get shifted forward and therefore live value of those picks increase for other clubs including the original picks 59 and 60 of Carlton that I assume ear marked for Jack Silvagni points. The more players that get bid on before we want to claim Silvagni the better. That is of course if it is done live on the night. If it is not then it is a totally different points system in effect. It is why I am keen to know if it is really going to be done in real time of draft or prior to draft. I have not heard anything official on that front.

I don't think Blues or Lions will bid on Mills
That Bid will come from either Melbourne or Essendon

I don't think Blues or Lions will bid on Mills
That Bid will come from either Melbourne or Essendon

I don't really know. Just a random example for sake of wondering how it effects the likely first player used on new bidding system.
Right now for example, Calton picks 59 and 60 are worth 158 and 146 bidding points respectively. I assume we also get discount of 197 points for players bid on after round one of draft. So in effect right now Carlton have 501 bidding points I assume earmarked to use on claiming Jack Silvagni as a father-son pick. Pick 36 of National Draft is closest to that value at 502 points. In effect if no other club bids on Silvagni prior to draft night with pick 36 or later we are fine with such a plan.

In effect if the bidding system is done on night it helps us more because then when players like Mills and three or four others get bid on before Silvagni then that will be paid for in points by other clubs and maybe our original picks 59 and 60 have shifted to something like 51 and 52 which are worth more bidding points than 59 and 60.

Importantly in the pdf file I am looking at right on bidding points system I read this.

"However, this will either occur live on draft night or shortly prior to the draft"

If it is done live on draft night it is better for us as a club in terms of claiming Silvagni as 59 and 60 will be upgraded to earlier picks and therefore more bidding points values.

If it was live draft night though, it would be interesting if a club played funny buggers just for the hell of it, and bid on Silvagni at pick 18.
Then those later picks in themselves do not pay for Silvagni and could be a tactical move by another club for us to pay with our current pick 19 which will be a different number of that night assuming Mills and one or two others claimed already via a live bidding system.

I don't really know. Just a random example for sake of wondering how it effects the likely first player used on new bidding system.
Right now for example, Calton picks 59 and 60 are worth 158 and 146 bidding points respectively. I assume we also get discount of 197 points for players bid on after round one of draft. So in effect right now Carlton have 501 bidding points I assume earmarked to use on claiming Jack Silvagni as a father-son pick. Pick 36 of National Draft is closest to that value at 502 points. In effect if no other club bids on Silvagni prior to draft night with pick 36 or later we are fine with such a plan.

In effect if the bidding system is done on night it helps us more because then when players like Mills and three or four others get bid on before Silvagni then that will be paid for in points by other clubs and maybe our original picks 59 and 60 have shifted to something like 51 and 52 which are worth more bidding points than 59 and 60.

Importantly in the pdf file I am looking at right on bidding points system I read this.

"However, this will either occur live on draft night or shortly prior to the draft"

If it is done live on draft night it is better for us as a club in terms of claiming Silvagni as 59 and 60 will be upgraded to earlier picks and therefore more bidding points values.

If it was live draft night though, it would be interesting if a club played funny buggers just for the hell of it, and bid on Silvagni at pick 18.
Then those later picks in themselves do not pay for Silvagni and could be a tactical move by another club for us to pay with our current pick 19 which will be a different number of that night assuming Mills and one or two others claimed already via a live bidding system.

Jack I'm confident will be covered with our 3rd rd selection

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What bid do you think Bailey Rice will go

Blues traded away later picks so no chance him coming to us with us commuting to Jack Silvagni

I haven't watched much of the draftees but from the research I've done (tweeting Emma Quayle, Cal Tomemy ect.) I think he will go late 20's early 30's.
I am really hoping that no one bids for him before pick 38. That way saints get pick 14, 38 and rice. Most likely he is bid at pick 27 and we will end up with picks 14, Rice and Pick 50.

I haven't watched much of the draftees but from the research I've done (tweeting Emma Quayle, Cal Tomemy ect.) I think he will go late 20's early 30's.
I am really hoping that no one bids for him before pick 38. That way saints get pick 14, 38 and rice. Most likely he is bid at pick 27 and we will end up with picks 14, Rice and Pick 50.

He surely will get a bid before 38. I think 23-30 will get a bid

A few things crop up in my mind as look at bidding system pdf file.
As follows:

Just out of curiosity our pick 19 is not really round one pick. So the 20% discount for using such a pack in any claim I assume would not apply and instead 197 discount for later round picks. However also what interests me is a pick like 18 now could be later than pick 18 if 4 players from northern states get claimed in new system. For example GWS, Sydney and Gold Coast match bids and become picks in top ten that do not exist at present. Then I assume pick 18 of right now becomes a real pick 22 in the draft and worth less. So Carlton's pick 19 in reality close to being player drafted at pick 23 in real time of draft. That is not a round one pick in past systems so a grey area for mine in terms of when discounts apply in this twilight zone of picks that are "Clayton's" round one picks.

I would expect Eddie McGuire to demand his club bid on Jack Silvagni in their present first pick of draft at current pick 27, if nothing else just to fuel his own love to hate us.

My current understanding of overall system starts with this:
Mills bid on by Dees at pick 3 in draft. However Swans match bid on live computer system to claim Mills.
Swans current 33, 36, 37 and 44 becomes actual pick 3 on computer system and pick also 54 in draft at that moment to claim back some extra points used in bidding points to claim him.
At that moment the whole draft order on live computer system changes to reflect this.

Swans original first pick 33 becomes actual pick 3 of draft for Mills. (it is paid for via the combination of values of original picks 33, 36, 37 and 44)
Collingwood original pick 27 becomes pick 28, shifted down one spot after Mills get shown as pick 3 in live draft on night. Carlton's original pick 59 becomes pick 56 in that moment. At that point in time Carlton intend that pick for Jack Silvagni and lovely Edward wants Collingwood to bid their first pick on Jack in this scenario no matter what happens. More players get claimed via bidding system such as Hopper, Kennedy and Hipwood I just read in an article before Collingwood's first pick in draft. By this stage lets assume when Collingwood get their first chance of night to make a bid their first pick is now called pick 31. At that moment it is worth 606 points in bidding system.
Carlton to match a bid need to pay with 409 points worth of picks taking into account the 197 discount applied. By this stage, Carlton's previously started picks 59 and 60 are 53 and picks 54. Worth 453 points combined. Calton match the mid for Jack and he would be shown as pick 31 in draft on night and Collingwood then have their pick 32.
Carlton needed to pay 409 points. They paid 453. This means they should get back the equivalent of 44 points in draft for their next pick which is round pick 70 of draft. So in that rough example Carlton original pick 59 and 60 become pick 31 and 70. All of course if Collingwood bid on Jack for hell of it with their first pick. As you can see there is very little satisfaction Edward could get from this. Some club would have to bid a lot earlier on Jack to make us use more than the current picks 59 and 60 we hold in the indicative draft order.

Of course it gets more complicated if we ourselves bid on one of the academy players or Bailey Rice before we get a chance to claim Jack Silvagni. Looking forward to commentators on night confusing everyone :)

Possible Rookie/Late draft Picks

Aidyn Johnson - Bendigo
Gach Nyuon - Dandenong
Kurt Mutimer - Dandenong
Callum Moore - Calder
Theo Thompson - Sandringham
Blake Hardwick - Eastern
Brendan Dew - Central Dist
Oleg Markov - Nth Adel
Mason Redman - Glenlg
Will Combe - Nth Adel
Will Snelling - Wst Adel
Bailey Williams - Glenlg/ SA
Kieran Agius - SA
Jesse Mirco - Sth Frem
Marcus Adams - WA
Sam Menegola - WA
Greg Clark - Subiaco
Brayden Hackett - Swan Dist
Wylie Buzza - Mt Gravatt
Mabior Chol - Yeronga
Jake Marshall - Murray
Callum McFadden - UNSW
Harrison Himmelberg - NSW
Jordan Hayden - Glenorchy
Nick Dodge - Lauderdale
Jake Sashames - Nth Launces
Michael Hagan - Darwin
Wewak Ross - Big River Hawks

Last edited:
updated power rankings

top 5
Weitering, Schache, Parish, Francis, Hopper

next group (22)
Mills, Curnow, Tucker, Burton, Collins
Cole, Balic, Mathieson, Kennedy, Oliver
Keays, Dunkley, Bonner, Hibberd, Ah Chee
Rice, Partington, Silvagni, Gresham, Schoenfeld
Clarke, Weideman

next group (16)
O'Kearney, Lovell, Minogue, Olekalns, Parsons
Cunningham, Morgan, Wagner, Brind, Haysman
Hipwood, H.McKay, B.McKay, Milera, Nunn
Doedee

You had me at "Pick 15 Hawthorn: - Clayton Oliver - Height: 187cm, Weight: 86kg, DOB: 22/07/1997 Recruited from: Murray Bushrangers, Draft Range: 10-25" :thumbsu:

He won't last that long IMO

do you think hawks would pass on rioli? if he was available i think they'd swoop!

Also how do u have harry mckay and Wayne Milera so far down the draft?

Thanks

A few things crop up in my mind as look at bidding system pdf file.
As follows:

Just out of curiosity our pick 19 is not really round one pick. So the 20% discount for using such a pack in any claim I assume would not apply and instead 197 discount for later round picks. However also what interests me is a pick like 18 now could be later than pick 18 if 4 players from northern states get claimed in new system. For example GWS, Sydney and Gold Coast match bids and become picks in top ten that do not exist at present. Then I assume pick 18 of right now becomes a real pick 22 in the draft and worth less. So Carlton's pick 19 in reality close to being player drafted at pick 23 in real time of draft. That is not a round one pick in past systems so a grey area for mine in terms of when discounts apply in this twilight zone of picks that are "Clayton's" round one picks.

I would expect Eddie McGuire to demand his club bid on Jack Silvagni in their present first pick of draft at current pick 27, if nothing else just to fuel his own love to hate us.

My current understanding of overall system starts with this:
Mills bid on by Dees at pick 3 in draft. However Swans match bid on live computer system to claim Mills.
Swans current 33, 36, 37 and 44 becomes actual pick 3 on computer system and pick also 54 in draft at that moment to claim back some extra points used in bidding points to claim him.
At that moment the whole draft order on live computer system changes to reflect this.

Swans original first pick 33 becomes actual pick 3 of draft for Mills. (it is paid for via the combination of values of original picks 33, 36, 37 and 44)
Collingwood original pick 27 becomes pick 28, shifted down one spot after Mills get shown as pick 3 in live draft on night. Carlton's original pick 59 becomes pick 56 in that moment. At that point in time Carlton intend that pick for Jack Silvagni and lovely Edward wants Collingwood to bid their first pick on Jack in this scenario no matter what happens. More players get claimed via bidding system such as Hopper, Kennedy and Hipwood I just read in an article before Collingwood's first pick in draft. By this stage lets assume when Collingwood get their first chance of night to make a bid their first pick is now called pick 31. At that moment it is worth 606 points in bidding system.
Carlton to match a bid need to pay with 409 points worth of picks taking into account the 197 discount applied. By this stage, Carlton's previously started picks 59 and 60 are 53 and picks 54. Worth 453 points combined. Calton match the mid for Jack and he would be shown as pick 31 in draft on night and Collingwood then have their pick 32.
Carlton needed to pay 409 points. They paid 453. This means they should get back the equivalent of 44 points in draft for their next pick which is round pick 70 of draft. So in that rough example Carlton original pick 59 and 60 become pick 31 and 70. All of course if Collingwood bid on Jack for hell of it with their first pick. As you can see there is very little satisfaction Edward could get from this. Some club would have to bid a lot earlier on Jack to make us use more than the current picks 59 and 60 we hold in the indicative draft order.

Of course it gets more complicated if we ourselves bid on one of the academy players or Bailey Rice before we get a chance to claim Jack Silvagni. Looking forward to commentators on night confusing everyone :)
Blues to bid on the two GWS and Brisbane Academy boys if available at 8/11 or 11/14!!

do you think hawks would pass on rioli? if he was available i think they'd swoop!

Also how do u have harry mckay and Wayne Milera so far down the draft?

Thanks

Rioli imo is nowhere near top 20 material, he has some x-factor about him, NT were so bad in Divsion 2 that maybe he got lost in all the poor talent, but i would expect him to shine when every other player bar 1-2 are so bad, also he played poorly for Nth Ballarat in the TAC and only came good for a few games later in the season and finals, which is why he is going to get picked up in the draft, he hasn't shown any indication he is worth a top 20 pick

Stats: 9 games 14 goals/11 behinds, 28 effective kicks, 29 ineffective kicks, 29 effective handballs, 9 ineffective handballs, 41 tackles, 10.4 possessions a game (Nth Ballarat) and he also played poorly for NT

Harry/Ben McKay/Hipwood i've said it before, i'm not impressed by 200cm flankers, if you are 200cm or thereabouts, impress people with your Ruck play or be a quality forward, otherwise thats a big NO THANX from me...

Milera is so hot and cold it is ridiculous, 1 game he hardly goes near it, fumbles, turns it over, then the next he plays a solid good game, i watched a couple of games with the intention of looking out for him and he did nothing but fumble and turn over the ball, this is why i dont have him in my top 30, others have him there because he shows some glimpses, but what i see is a player that is so inconsistant its a worry

Last edited:
Sorry mate, but I just cannot agree with your point on Jade Gresham that, supposedly, 'he can go missing for periods'. Can you give me some examples of when he has faded out of a game for periods, because his performances in the Champs and the TAC Cup suggest completely otherwise. Watch footage of him; his production is very, very consistent throughout games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back