Review Day 1 Training report (Wed Nov 19 from Nicks BB).

Remove this Banner Ad

Elliot kicking in the forwardline/midfield - Elite

Elliot kicking in defense - Quite possibly the worst in the competition
He who dares wins.
Our game is all about taking a risk.
And that has been our downfall over the past couple of years. We refuse to take the game on and roll the dice.
I would much rather a player go for that pinpoint 40/50 metre pass than the looping 20/25 metre kick to a stationary teammate.
Elliot is one who tries the right thing. Yes, he sometimes falls short, but do not take it out of his fame please.

Thanks for posting the training report Loki. Sounds like Freeman, Moore & Varcoe went well which is great to read. Also great to read the good early signs for Cox as well.

Last edited:

UP DATE 'Q n A' with Neil and Nicks poster Jezza:

Jezza wrote 1). After a season of being injury-riddled how is Dane Swan tracking along on the training track? Does he look fit and firing or is he still a fair way off from returning to full fitness?

Neil appleby reply : Swanny looks pretty good actually and led most of the runs with his little group. He's on track for a full recovery and a full pre season. I watched Swanny pretty closely today; he's never been a standout trainer, but he was impressive.

2). It's great to hear that Macaffer is recovering well and determined to get back into full fitness, but how's Matty Scharenberg going with his recovery as well?

I would assume he's at the same stage as Macaffer in terms of recovery as both of them sustained ACL injuries approximately around the same time as each other.

They both jogged/walked laps. Obviously Caff is ahead of Sharenberg due to his LARS surgery. He also looked more involved in what was happening around him. I guess that would be due to the fact that he's been through it before and that he's a lot closer to playing.

3). Is Jonathan Marsh's lack of endurance a concern? Did it hinder him for the whole training session or just during running laps?

He didn't train with the main group. His morning consisted of timed-laps and 50 metre run throughs. I think he was probably following instructions to take it easy; I hope so anyway. Last year his pace was electric but he did run out of gas in games and I think the club has ear-marked him for 'tank development'

I almost liked this, then I read the bolded and just sat there looking at the screen scratching my head.

Quite literally the exact same for me it was such a strong post until that garbage. Armstrong is a neat kick and that's about it.

On our current list the only field kick even remotely comparable to Buckley, IMO, is Reid.

Thanks for the update too! BTW where are all the uni students? We used to get fairly regular training reports, but nothing these days.

Another thing just on the Neil Appleby interview.

A) when did the club confirm Caff undertook a LARS reconstruction and B) why is he so far behind in his recovery if he had that surgery?

The injury was 3 months ago this weekend and that's the general recovery time for LARS...

Quite literally the exact same for me it was such a strong post until that garbage. Armstrong is a neat kick and that's about it.

On our current list the only field kick even remotely comparable to Buckley, IMO, is Reid.

Thanks for the update too! BTW where are all the uni students? We used to get fairly regular training reports, but nothing these days.
Relax, if you read my post all I noted was 'passing accuracy' which Armstrong excels at, and generally most of the team is weak at sadly.
I didn't say he was as good as the great man. As much as I rate Armstrong I don't expect we will see him nailing the kind of beautiful 55m goals Nathan used to kick with ease running around the arc.
Could also say the same thing of Tony Shaw, he was an incredibly accurate kick, but not in buckleys league.

Relax, if you read my post all I noted was 'passing accuracy' which Armstrong excels at, and generally most of the team is weak at sadly.
I didn't say he was as good as the great man. As much as I rate Armstrong I don't expect we will see him nailing the kind of beautiful 55m goals Nathan used to kick with ease running around the arc.

Or kicks like this:

He was not afraid to hit up a player who was surrounded by opposition knowing his kick travelled fast and accurate enough to get there 1st.

7 mins in kick to Thomas in Bucks last year.

Buckley was an amazing kick doubt we will see another like it for a long while.

Also going back and watching some highlights shows when Pendles first got to the club he was a much more damaging kick often kicking into the fwd50 with low flat passes to leading targets. Has caught the retention play it safe bug that mick installed.

Heaps of bucks field kicking vids have been taken down it is a shame as there were some great passages of play on you tube by him showing off his kicking. Unfortunately most people when they make a highlights video mainly make a goals highlights package.

Last edited:
Could also say the same thing of Tony Shaw, he was an incredibly accurate kick, but not in buckleys league.

Like I said it was a strong post until a guy that was delisted was brought up. I know you're biased towards him though which was more the reason for the clip.

For mine being able to spot up 20 metre sideways passes doesn't qualify you to be spoken about in the same breathe in terms of "accuracy" as perhaps the greatest user by foot the game has seen.

On another note you're 100% correct in that most of the list struggles with it (when it comes to match day) which is all the more disappointing for professional athletes!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My ''jelous'' Melbourne supporting mate stopped by to check us out yesterday.
He's first words to me were are you worried about 2015 and i said a little bit. He then told me dont worry too much your boys look hungry.
Yeah i know he has been seeing the dees train but thats still great to hear from an opposition supporter. He also told me i have to go down because he said Darcy Moore could make a grown man cry, he left the track very jelous that we have snaffled up Darce!

What's the 'silent drill' aimed at improving? General awareness?

Marsh losing running drills to Witts is concerning. I know he is coming off a leg injury, but Witts would get done by a glacier.

Or kicks like this:

He was not afraid to hit up a player who was surrounded by opposition knowing his kick travelled fast and accurate enough to get there 1st.

7 mins in kick to Thomas in Bucks last year.

Buckley was an amazing kick doubt we will see another like it for a long while.

Also going back and watching some highlights shows when Pendles first got to the club he was a much more damaging kick often kicking into the fwd50 with low flat passes to leading targets. Has caught the retention play it safe bug that mick installed.

Heaps of bucks field kicking vids have been taken down it is a shame as there were some great passages of play on you tube by him showing off his kicking. Unfortunately most people when they make a highlights video mainly make a goals highlights package.

That 2007 highlights package brings a tear to the eye. So many greats.

I think you might be overreacting to not getting someone's joke...

North Melbourne don't get many supporters to their games, hence, silence.

Yeahnah, he never writes anything worth reading and is rarely ever witty and that's saying a lot coming from myself.

Anyone have any insight to my original question or are we just going to continue further derailing the thread?

Maybe not quite at Bucks level because well nobody is, but he is still a better kick than any of the other top 20 mids in the game right now.

I'd much rather have the ball in his hands than I would Armstrong or Fasolo.

I agree Pendles is unrivaled in the league at the moment with his decision making and is a solid kick, but his kicking abilitty is not even in the same stratosphere as Bucks. The only player I have seen in the last ten years who might challenge Bucks' kicking skills is Josh Drummond.

Armstrong and Fasolo are both better kicks than Pendlebury, clearly. Seedsman and Elliott are also better kicks, but do not always make the best decisions unfortunately.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back