Division 1 2024 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

$800 per week is the word out of Silvan - their captain and B&F winner gone on a deal the club couldn’t possibly get close to.

Wonder how much of that is going into SB’s “salary cap”.

Whats the point of the cap?

That's crazy money. Although the word from Silvan is that Chirnside Park are offering more than that for some of their other players.

That's crazy money. Although the word from Silvan is that Chirnside Park are offering more than that for some of their other players.
Silvan are also known to throw some crazy money around themselves.

I actually think the cap has had an impact in bringing down salaries overall. While I reckon there’s bending of it, I think the vast amount of clubs aren’t ridiculously over it.

Then there are a few that are just so clearly taking the piss, however. It’s obvious who they are.

I actually think the cap has had an impact in bringing down salaries overall. While I reckon there’s bending of it, I think the vast amount of clubs aren’t ridiculously over it.

Then there are a few that are just so clearly taking the piss, however. It’s obvious who they are.
Give us your top 5 piss-takers then 😊

Good money in berries
If I remember correctly Fatside, they had 8 former Essendon players. They also had a sponsor with very deep pockets, however, it all came crashing down when said sponsors wife became aware of things that made her deeply upset and unhappy. I believe that divorce happened soon after and they separated. Said sponsor was also separated from most of his money and for some reason every former Essendon player left.

If I remember correctly Fatside, they had 8 former Essendon players. They also had a sponsor with very deep pockets, however, it all came crashing down when said sponsors wife became aware of things that made her deeply upset and unhappy. I believe that divorce happened soon after and they separated. Said sponsor was also separated from most of his money and for some reason every former Essendon player left.
You are correct Cliff. The business was called 'Compass Group' and was heavily investing in the club and the league at the time (major sponsor). It was like there was no restrictions around money. Ex Essendon AFL players such as Bullen, Moorcroft and Henneman all were playing there along with some very good local players such as a fellow called Brent Laughton who was a gun. They were a super team but had no depth as seen by their reserves at the time who remained strugglers and no thirds.

It fell apart due to a relationship coming to an end. There was a bit to that but its a long time ago and no point bringing it up now. The money dried up and the players all left the club as a result. Most of the higher profile fellows also were working for the sponsor too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are correct Cliff. The business was called 'Compass Group' and was heavily investing in the club and the league at the time (major sponsor). It was like there was no restrictions around money. Ex Essendon AFL players such as Bullen, Moorcroft and Henneman all were playing there along with some very good local players such as a fellow called Brent Laughton who was a gun. They were a super team but had no depth as seen by their reserves at the time who remained strugglers and no thirds.

It fell apart due to a relationship coming to an end. There was a bit to that but its a long time ago and no point bringing it up now. The money dried up and the players all left the club as a result. Most of the higher profile fellows also were working for the sponsor too.
They where great to watch....I wonder if they will ever return to the Yarra valley AKA Outer East

An unfortunate story that is not uncommon Cliff... :)

The moral is that no club has ever built sustainability on the back of a benefactor.

^^Spot on.

The Salary cap can be bypassed, but the point system can't. Whether you employ Mr Smith to mow the President's Lawn each week for $1000 or build him a swimming pool, it's very easy to get around. The point system has some flaws and in saying that, overall it works.

Last edited:
^^Spot on.

The Salary cap can be bypassed, but the point system can't. Whether you employ Mr Smith to mow the President's Lawn each week for $1000 or build him a swimming pool, it's very easy to get around. The point system has some flaws and in saying that, overall it works.
2 things they need to abolish in local footy.... salary caps and the word premier division

2 things they need to abolish in local footy.... salary caps and the word premier division
Premier divisions yes but salary caps no.Club found out breaching salary cap hit them with harsh penalties,let say a heavy fine and no points till round 10 the next season if they win games in the 1st 9.

Premier divisions yes but salary caps no.Club found out breaching salary cap hit them with harsh penalties,let say a heavy fine and no points till round 10 the next season if they win games in the 1st 9.
Yep, get rid of the word Premier. Keep the salary cap, but if a club transgresses, the loss of season points. $1,000 fine for each game or games the player or players are involved in. A 2 year deregistration and ban for any players and a reduction in the salary cap for the next 2 years for the club involved.

Yep, get rid of the word Premier. Keep the salary cap, but if a club transgresses, the loss of season points. $1,000 fine for each game or games the player or players are involved in. A 2 year deregistration and ban for any players and a reduction in the salary cap for the next 2 years for the club involved.

Could even add reduce points for players to lets say 30 points the next season if a club dares to breach the salary cap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back