Cars & Transportation Dodgy drivers or roads - rant here!

Remove this Banner Ad

High Street, Spring Street, Edwardes Street, The Broadway and Cheddar Road basically all converge. And there is a railway crossing in the middle of it so large that it has four boom gates, not just two.

It is an utter mess.

Incorrect, what you've described would be intentionally dangerous driving.

Section 60 of the [Road Traffic] Act deals with "Reckless driving" and subsection (1) states that "Every person who wilfully drives a motor vehicle in a manner (which expression includes speed) that is inherently dangerous or that is, having regard to all the circumstances of the case, dangerous to the public or to any person commits an offence".
https://www.gotocourt.com.au/traffic-law/wa/dangerous-driving

Anyone from the Geelong area will know how pleasing it is that the council finally fixed up the areas of asphalt near the Marshalltown Road blackspot intersection. It used to be like driving down one of those worn-out gravel driveways it was that bad. Only took them 15 years.

Doss you will understand how stupid this actually is.

My mate was heading down Mt. Rd toward the city and he was near the big roundabout at Keilor Road. The car in front of him turned right at the round about (where incoming cars would usually be coming), and headed up Keilor Road on the wrong side of the road.

He said it was the worst piece of driving he has ever witnessed.

Happens in Malaysia all the time. I hope it isn't catching on here.

Thankyou for reinforcing my point. That definition there is consistent with what happened to me when the campaigner didn't check his blind spot.

• "Every person who wilfully drives a motor vehicle in a manner (which expression includes speed) that is inherently dangerous or;
I would say choosing to not check your blind spot satisfies this element, and if you don't check your blind spot, you are effectively taking a calculated risk with the knowledge that not doing so may result in a collision. In contrast, if this driver was not aware of the dangers of not checking his blind spot (but ought to have known, as all drivers should) then that would satisfy negligence.

• that is, having regard to all the circumstances of the case;
The driver knows that if a car is in his blind spot he cannot see it by checking his side mirrors alone. Again, if he was negligent, then he ought to have known.

• [that is] dangerous to the public or to any person..."
This is part is not controversial.

On Canterbury road between Manhattan and the Cadbury chocolate factory the speed limit is 80km/h. Why am I the only one who does 80 km/h while most people barely do 60 km/h along this stretch of road. Yet when it comes down 70km/h moments later most people fly past me doing 80+ km/h :thumbsdown:

Not to mention all the trucks taking up three lanes all trying to pass each other. Yes we know your trying to get to ******* the factories in Kilsyth but your all slow as * so please don't ruin it for everybody else.

Last edited:
That's the one.

Outrageous.

I drove out to Sunshine to get a laptop at... Centrecom?... anyway found myself in a Bermuda triangle of an intersection, was almost in tears. (was almost as bad as Eltham). Then once I got back home after the whole ordeal, realised there was a much much simpler way of getting there.

I really should get a GPS shouldn't I.:D

:$

Not as a driver, too young. But I do recall it as a passenger- pretty horrific.

I still have a special reserve of hate for Reservoir Junction.

Seriously, what the **** is it?
Yeah me too (think we are around the same age).

As a kid I remember it being one giant cluster*.

I drove out to Sunshine to get a laptop at... Centrecom?... anyway found myself in a Bermuda triangle of an intersection, was almost in tears. (was almost as bad as Eltham). Then once I got back home after the whole ordeal, realised there was a much much simpler way of getting there.

I really should get a GPS shouldn't I.:D

:$
If you have a smart phone then you have GPS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thankyou for reinforcing my point. That definition there is consistent with what happened to me when the campaigner didn't check his blind spot.
Er, no. Your situation would have been resolved under "careless driving", on the same page.

There are three levels (in WA at least) - Careless driving, Dangerous driving, and Reckless (or wilfully dangerous) driving.

Nobody is ever going to be charged under the third one for not checking over their shoulder.

So I spotted this yesterday
fortyeighty.png

On the left hand side the speed sign says 40 and the one the right side says 80. Now I drive on this road all the time and generally the speed is 80km/h so some muppet thought it would be funny to put a 40 sign on the road.

Should I report this to Vicroads?

On Canterbury road between Manhattan and the Cadbury chocolate factory is 80km/h, Then why am I the only one who does 80 km/h while most people barely do 60 km/h along this stretch of road. Yet when it comes down 70km/h moments later people fly past me doing 80 km/h wtff??

Also trucks taking up three lanes all trying to pass each other, yes we know your trying to get to ******* the factories in Kilsyth but your all slow as ****, so please don't try to ruin it for everybody else.
I go passed there most weeks. I personally don't do 80km/h because I have to do a U-turn just passed the Cadbury factory. As for everyone else, there is a set of lights about 200m ahead of the Cadbury factory that will probably be red most of the time

I go passed there most weeks. I personally don't do 80km/h because I have to do a U-turn just passed the Cadbury factory. As for everyone else, there is a set of lights about 200m ahead of the Cadbury factory that will probably be red most of the time
I can understand that but when you have all three lanes (not even in peak) doing well less than 80 km/h from as far back as Vermont, I get pretty shitty.

I think I was having a particularly bad day when I wrote that but I still think people should learn the limits better. Also truckies can go **** themselves if think they should be able to line up all beside each other at the lights, it seriously happens nearly every time I stop at Heathmont shops.

Last edited:
Not sure if it's the right thread but has anyone here appealed a parking fine before and got any tips/suggestions to share?

Background:
The local council has been fining cars parked on the dirt area next to my local train station (apparently classed as a nature strip) - I moved into the area about a year ago and in that time, people have been parking in this area without issue. I was running late one morning last week (normally get a proper parking space) and had to park on the dirt as all the spaces were filled up. When I returned to my car later that night, I (and quite a few others) found tickets for 'stopping on a nature strip'.

Here's a pic from google maps of the area (red box), I was parked further from the road (normally there is 2 rows of cars) - there are no signs stating no parking (only sign in the vicinity is one that advises not to leave valuables in a car).
image.jpg

The whole thing seems like a bit of penny pinching by the council (due to no signs, cones, barriers or anything preventing cars parking there, plus the fact cars have been parking there for at least a year). There is also a similar area at the other end of the car park that cars can park in and I don't think there have been any fines issued for using that particular area (as cars are still parking there this week).

Only way you could get out of it would be if you get lucky and it turns out that piece of land is not part of the road reserve, and therefore not a nature strip. Would require some digging tho

Only way you could get out of it would be if you get lucky and it turns out that piece of land is not part of the road reserve, and therefore not a nature strip. Would require some digging tho

Yeah, I thought the best place to start might be doing some research into what Vic Roads/the legal definition of a 'nature strip' is and seeing if the area fits into the definition/criteria in this instance.

There's probably examples on the net somewhere of how to write an appeal/what to mention or focus on too which might be a help.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back