Drugs/doping in AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Definitely out of left field, I couldn't disagree with you more.

With respect to what, exactly?

Fair enough if you don't feel sympathy for them. In fact, I probably don't either and my post was poorly worded; I suppose I simply do not feel a sense of vitriol towards them, as I am aware that the actual "crime" they committed is almost certainly being committed by all clubs, including our own - their true downfall was happening to be caught by governing bodies outside of the AFL.

If you disagree with my assessment on the rampancy of drug use, then I implore you to do your research. I once had the black and white attitude of believing the results of drug tests and trusting WADA/other governing bodies to catch cheaters. However, after some years of study in human physiology with some adjunct in pharmacological studies, I found that the truth was anything but what I thought.

There were whispers around Strahany but its wasn't the leaks, etc that brought ASADA in, it was the Crime Commission investigation into the sale of illegally imported peptides & PEDS that led them to the doors of Dank, Charters & the football department at Windy Hill.

There is no doubt that Vlad's AFL tried to stage manage the damage (which they had become very adept at doing)....they even brought in heavy hitters like John Wylie (with the greatest conflict of interest in sporting history- being head of the Aust Sports Commission) to negotiate an outcome. Vlad & co had a very misplaced confidence that they could pressure ASADA into recommending very heavily reduced penalties (or no fault penalties at best). I suspect the AFL managed to create a loophole that allowed Essendon to escape sanctions for the use of AOD-9604 (which, as a unspecified substance, was on the S0 list & thus banned at the time they were using it).

There is no doubt that at one point Essendon were headed towards making a deal early but the removal of David Evans removed that option. That outcome would have been unacceptable to the Hird camp as he would have been forced to step down. The whole process since then was about protecting the golden boy.

I am sad I could only like this once.
It is a wonderful encapsulation of the last three years.
People forget it was initially the Crimes Commission that originally brought this into the light.
Well them and Hird grubby relationships with Dr Ageless and Dank.
The grubby underbelly.

Fair enough if you don't feel sympathy for them. In fact, I probably don't either and my post was poorly worded; I suppose I simply do not feel a sense of vitriol towards them, as I am aware that the actual "crime" they committed is almost certainly being committed by all clubs, including our own - their true downfall was happening to be caught by governing bodies outside of the AFL.

If you disagree with my assessment on the rampancy of drug use, then I implore you to do your research. I once had the black and white attitude of believing the results of drug tests and trusting WADA/other governing bodies to catch cheaters. However, after some years of study in human physiology with some adjunct in pharmacological studies, I found that the truth was anything but what I thought.

Forget about drug tests. Most clubs do not have an injection regime.
If they did, some bigmouth would have spilt the beans.
IE Fevola would have spilt the beans for money.
Ackermanis would have spilt the beans for attention.
Etc etc.

The real no brain simpleton advice to footy players is don't get injected with anything unless its a pain killer.

I am sad I could only like this once.
It is a wonderful encapsulation of the last three years.
People forget it was initially the Crimes Commission that originally brought this into the light.
Well them and Hird grubby relationships with Dr Ageless and Dank.
The grubby underbelly.

They were running out of underbelly stuff weren't they.

We could have :
Mike Meyers reprising his doctor evil character as "Steven Dank"
Dwayne Johnson as "The Weapon"
Jack Gleeson ( google him, you love to hate him ) as "James Hird"
Miley Cyrus as Tania Hird

Russel Brand as Kyle Rheimers
and an old thunderbirds puppet as "Spike"

Remember Leigh Matthews was getting Lions players having water IVs during half time at Gabba games to help overcome dehydration. The AFL clamped down on that hard, because they could see the bandaids on the players arms after the game - said that "it wasn't good for the children watching".

Sounds farcical now.

Here's something out of left field:

I feel sorry for Essendon and everyone involved ....
.... Fair enough if you don't feel sympathy for them. In fact, I probably don't either ....
Strauchanieeeeeee !!!

upload_2016-1-19_22-43-3.png

Maaaaate !!! You had me goin' for a minute there. :D

Last edited:
Someone on SEN today said the weapon is employed by Demietriou and someone else involved was employed by the AFL itself. If true they are a grubby cesspit.
Aren't they all technically employed by the AFL and "licensed", or similar, to the club that engages them? Like the players.

I disagree with that as well.

Even if all clubs do it, which I doubt, one has to be the worst.

12509406_964771263609876_3599473819270351610_n.jpg

You've made some pretty big calls man.

- Pretty much every club is systematically trying to circumvent both national and international anti-doping rules.
- You knew about the Essendon scandal "months before" the story broke?

Do you have any evidence whatsoever for either of the above claims?

Every club has a supplements program and every team is trying to maximise the potential of their players... but I don't think there'd be too many clubs in the country that have attempted to run a "black ops" style, top secret pharmalogical experiment.

You say you feel sorry for the players because every club is doing it? I find that incredibly hard to believe. These players kept the injections secret for months. They obviously didn't tell their managers, they didn't tell testers etc. This wasn't a group of kids that were misled, these guys were all in.

Hell, they even had the club draw up a release for them so they could try and maintain some plausible deniability.

In response to the post in the Carlisle thread as to why we should allow wada control what constitutes doping in the afl I think sadly it is about self interest of sport administrators.

I have no doubt the afl and all other codes want a clean sport, but unfortunately in practice the desire to have scandal free sport can take over.

Would it be possible for the signatory codes to as a group control wada? I'd really love to think so but it might turn out like having Russia and China on the security council.

My greatest fear about this saga is that potentially the afl may have crossed a line in this regard but I obviously hope they didn't as I want both a clean and scandal free sport

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crowley
Kelly
Simpkin
Stokes
Goddard to HBF in a flash.

Matty Dea, come on down! You're the next contestant on Don't Forget your Injection! (yes, I remember don't forget your toothbrush & Tim Ferguson)

The Magistrates ruling on the Worksafe breaches is interesting.

Really gets stuck into Hird and Reid who apparently were unhappy with the way the program was initiated so demanded stricter protocols to be implemented in relation the injecting program. Only problem was that after the protocols were introduced they didn't bother to check if anything changed.

Magistrate also pointed the finger at Hird because he said it was unlikely that younger players would be unlikely to resist directions from Hird. Effectively saying younger players respected and trusted Hird and he let them down badly.

"Magistrate Reardon also criticised the club's coach James Hird and head doctor Bruce Reid for failing to follow up on player safety, in the months after the supplements program was founded and protocols around player safety were put in place.

He found players were instructed to keep quiet about the supplements program, outside a key coaching group including Hird, and would have felt pressured not to question it."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back