Emma Quayle's 2015 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

The negativity is crazy in here.

If anything it's more in-depth and longer than normal. In the past she's only done the first round.

Her phantom's are always about predictions rather than in-depth write ups.

She stopped at Carltons "end of 1st rd" pick ....

No, he's Victorian, no problems there....

Sydney fan complaining about the draft? Your club has literally been handed the best midfielder in the draft on a silver platter for the last two years.

Last edited:
What's her accuracy like is from previous years?

she got 11 of the first 12 in her attempt last year and basically bedded down the players that went in the teens, even if the order was a little jumbled due to Freo unexpectedly letting lever throught and Geelong popping early on Cockatoo

Sydney fan complaining about the draft? Your club has literally been handed the best midfielder in the draft on a silver platter for the last two years.

Pettraca was rated higher last year for starters and Hopper is just as good as Mills anyway

Sydney fan complaining about Victorian draft tampering? Your club has literally been handed the best midfielder in the draft on a silver platter for the last two years.

Mills is not the best midfielder in this draft but your chairman and Newbold have been amping up the volume to match their misguided understanding of the northern markets... and probably to distract from the fact both your teams abuse your positions to effectively tamper the whole competition. How's equalisation looking?? Going to shift the Grand Final from your home ground? Going to give another team a shot at the Anzac Day game? Maybe you could share out a few of those brown paper bag 3rd party TV gigs?

Anyway, we all the AFL won't investigate, too many Victorian clubs with too much self interest at stake

she got 11 of the first 12 in her attempt last year and basically bedded down the players that went in the teens, even if the order was a little jumbled due to Freo unexpectedly letting lever throught and Geelong popping early on Cockatoo
Anyone could do that with the first dozen picks after reading everything. At this point, the order isn't hard to pick with others having similar rankings. Seven players went to the wrong teams last year and in her 2013 effort. She always leaves it until the last minute.

How can you call it abysmal if she hasn't been proven wrong yet?
There's two types of phantom drafts, very detailed reports on players explaining why they're worthy of that pick, their strengths/weaknesses and why they think think they'll go there (Like the old 'Burgatron' mock drafts Matt Burgan used to do on afl.com.au) then there's your Callum Twomey drafts that heavily rely on inside information and knowledge to really try and work out what club will take what player and with what pick, especially for the first round.

Both are good because as supporters we want to know who are club is trying to get and who's going to be available at out clubs pick but we also want to know as much as we can on these players. For someone like Emma Quayle who's got a good knowledge on the potential drafties most of us would prefer to read a lot more of her thoughts on the players actual abilities rather than just seeing her trying to predict as many picks as she can.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How can you call it abysmal if she hasn't been proven wrong yet?
It's not about the picks Which I'm worried, it's more the overall effort/endeavour in contrast to previous years which is heavily down. Brett Anderson from SEN gets my vote this year for content, explanation.

Clayton Oliver is the real bolter. Right up into the top 5. I have absolutely no doubt that Brendan McCartney is a big reason why Melbourne will probably take him there. He was a big reason why we took Clay Smith, Hrovat and he was also was heavily pushing that we draft Wines over Macrae. Loves the crash and bash inside types. Was also very keen on Stringer (as a midfielder) even though he is a more natural forward.

And here I was thinking it was our head recruiter, Jason Taylor.

How silly am I ?

And here I was thinking it was our head recruiter, Jason Taylor.

How silly am I ?

Did I say he was the only reason. McCartney had a huge influence on how we drafted in the past 5 years and his ability to spot young talent and development is pretty bloody good. I have no doubt that McCartney had a strong say in who Melbourne would be interested in.

Did I say he was the only reason. McCartney had a huge influence on how we drafted in the past 5 years and his ability to spot young talent and development is pretty bloody good. I have no doubt that McCartney had a strong say in who Melbourne would be interested in.
McCartney would have no say in whom they recruit .

Mills is not the best midfielder in this draft but your chairman and Newbold have been amping up the volume to match their misguided understanding of the northern markets... and probably to distract from the fact both your teams abuse your positions to effectively tamper the whole competition. How's equalisation looking?? Going to shift the Grand Final from your home ground? Going to give another team a shot at the Anzac Day game? Maybe you could share out a few of those brown paper bag 3rd party TV gigs?

Anyway, we all the AFL won't investigate, too many Victorian clubs with too much self interest at stake

Fine then. SECOND best, behind Hopper; and don't even start this Victorian vs Non-Victorian bullshit because it's a hoax. How is equalisation going? I agree. How is giving a team an extra $1,000,000 a year to spend on player wages make this league equal? MCG will never leave Melbourne, and ANZAC Day will never leave Collingwood vs Essendon, your team can't pull 95,000 to the G every year so lay off it.

Bit of a personal bugbear of mine, I know EQ and CT (to just name 2) are busy this time of year getting interviews and inside info from clubs etc but I really wish they'd do full drafts.

From first live pick to last live pick, not just the first round or first 30 picks. If novices can do a full draft why can't the professionals who get paid to do it?

Fine then. SECOND best, behind Hopper; and don't even start this Victorian vs Non-Victorian bullshit because it's a hoax. How is equalisation going? I agree. How is giving a team an extra $1,000,000 a year to spend on player wages make this league equal? MCG will never leave Melbourne, and ANZAC Day will never leave Collingwood vs Essendon, your team can't pull 95,000 to the G every year so lay off it.
Imagine next year when COLA is completely gone and the academy kids cost full market rates... what will Eddie complain about then?

"The climate up north is much better than down here and that gives those teams an unfair advantage. This will ruin the sport if we don't put a stop to it!"

There's two types of phantom drafts, very detailed reports on players explaining why they're worthy of that pick, their strengths/weaknesses and why they think think they'll go there (Like the old 'Burgatron' mock drafts Matt Burgan used to do on afl.com.au) then there's your Callum Twomey drafts that heavily rely on inside information and knowledge to really try and work out what club will take what player and with what pick, especially for the first round.

Both are good because as supporters we want to know who are club is trying to get and who's going to be available at out clubs pick but we also want to know as much as we can on these players. For someone like Emma Quayle who's got a good knowledge on the potential drafties most of us would prefer to read a lot more of her thoughts on the players actual abilities rather than just seeing her trying to predict as many picks as she can.

Bit of a personal bugbear of mine, I know EQ and CT (to just name 2) are busy this time of year getting interviews and inside info from clubs etc but I really wish they'd do full drafts.

From first live pick to last live pick, not just the first round or first 30 picks. If novices can do a full draft why can't the professionals who get paid to do it?

She actually has featured many of these players in full length articles in The Age over the last few months, so there's no need to go into great detail. Remember, this is designed for print or tablet, so a mammoth phantom would not really suit.
Admittedly she tends to focus more on the player's backstory rather than strengths and limitations on the field, but I think it's a bit refreshing to see them as a person rather than as a collection of skills.
Check her Twitter feed this morning- she is retweeting many of her previous articles on the players.

Imagine next year when COLA is completely gone and the academy kids cost full market rates... what will Eddie complain about then?

"The climate up north is much better than down here and that gives those teams an unfair advantage. This will ruin the sport if we don't put a stop to it!"

CoLA may be going, but a rental subsidy worth around a third a million will still be there. I'm sure he could compain about that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back