Society/Culture Feminism part 1 - continued in part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damn right it's s**t behaviour, but what are feminists doing to police their own? Absolutely nothing! I'd go as far as to say that feminist silence in this regard is condoning such behaviour.

Did feminists suddenly unify into a collective while I was away? Is there some feminist overlord that they all answer to, or a feminist internal affairs division to police feminist critique? Is there even unity in the different schools of feminist thought and critique?

Your argument is simplistic and completely erroneous. Sadly, I'm not surprised.

Feminists have not just started a gender and ideological war, they perpetuate and broaden the war on men, masculinity and the very foundations of western society and culture in the hope of destroying such to bring about their utopian fantasy.

'Foundations of Western Society' like coverture (British common law), Head and Master laws (US) and marital power (European civil law) where the wife lost all rights to own property, enter contracts, or write a will once married?

Coverture (sometimes spelled couverture) was a legal doctrine whereby, upon marriage, a woman's legal rights and obligations were subsumed by those of her husband, in accordance with the wife's legal status of feme covert. An unmarried woman, a feme sole, had the right to own property and make contracts in her own name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coverture

In civil law jurisdictions, marital power (Latin: potestas maritalis, Dutch: maritale macht, Afrikaans: maritale mag) was a doctrine in terms of which a wife was legally an incapax under the usufructorytutorship (tutela usufructuaria) of her husband. The marital power included the power of the husband to administer both his wife's separate property and their community property. A wife was not able to leave a will, enter into a contract, or sue or be sued, in her own name or without the permission of her husband

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marital_power

"Head and Master" laws were a set of Americanproperty laws that permitted a husband to have final say regarding all household decisions and jointly owned property without his wife'sknowledge or consent, until 1979 when Louisiana became the final state to repeal them. Until then, the matter of who paid for property or whose name was on the deed had been irrelevant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_and_Master_law

Feminism is understood by its actions, not the empty rhetoric of feminist ideologues defining it in contradiction to its actions. Feminists say that feminism means something different to each feminist. Given such infinitely broad a definition, it means nothing. And if it means nothing, it stands for nothing - except the actions done in its name.

Replace the words 'feminism' and 'feminist' with the words 'religion' and 'religious' in your paragraph above, and think on this for a bit.

The activism arm of feminism are busy playing offense by targeting for harassment, bullying, shaming, attempts at silencing, and even bringing about violence upon those who disagree with their authoritarian ideology.

Help! I'm being repressed by those violent authoritarian feminists!

You too scared to leave your house in case Germaine Greer is waiting outside to shoot you or something?

Last edited:
How can you rightfully speak for the "vast majority" of feminists? Also, no I don't trust you and won't simply take your word for it. Your post is nothing more than typical feminist feelings-based empty rhetoric?

Real world experience, interactions and conversations with people who consider themselves feminists. Sorry that I can't quite bend to your objective standard that has you thinking Obama is Satan.

So feminism is theoretically a movement for equality but only actually acts on womens' rights in the name of feminism.
Actions > words, just like Realz > Feelz
What?

Feminism isn't fighting against equality... It's not an opposing force to equality... It's to make women equal to men.
E.g. voting. How was that not equality for women? Not everyone could vote yet... but it was still a step to total equality via a step to equality for women.
Stuff it, I'll give you a chance.

No, that's not what I've said at all.

Feminism doesn't oppose equality... A feminist can fight to fix a discrepancy against males, as a feminist... but not in the name of feminism...
Feminism is about equality for women. But that doesn't mean you cannot also fight for equality for men, children, race, animals et al.
Feminism isn't an opposing force to equality... it is just the name given for equality for the female gender.

That's it though... If you're supporting both sides for equality... you are a feminist.

If you need to push up the male side more for equality sometimes, it doesn't mean that you're fighting to put women down. It means you're fighting to make men equal to women.
Same thing for feminism.

Feminism isn't about a woman being better than a man, it's about being equal to a man.

Sure, plenty of dickheads take it too far. And because of them, most people relate feminism to hairy armpit nutters, demanding the world without wanting to work for it.

But feminism isn't about taking away from men, it's about becoming equal to men.

Did feminists suddenly unify into a collective while I was away? Is there some feminist overlord that they all answer to, or a feminist internal affairs division to police feminist critique? Is there even unity in the different schools of feminist thought and critique?

Feminists are not a collective, they all come under the banner "feminist". Feminism does not mean whatever individual feminists want it to be, for if that were the case it means nothing. What feminism is is dictated by the prominent feminists who have the power to change things at a governmental level, prominent academic feminist authors, etc.

'Foundations of Western Society' like coverture (British common law), Head and Master laws (US) and marital power (European civil law) where the wife lost all rights to own property, enter contracts, or write a will once married?

The feminism threads on BF boards have already covered that while women had less rights, it was due to having less social and legal responsibilities and obligations compared to men. Such was the trade-off in a society where traditionalism dominated. Nowadays though, feminists want all the rights of men, but without the responsibilities and obligations that come with those rights.

Last edited:
Real world experience, interactions and conversations with people who consider themselves feminists.

So, your "real world experience, interactions and conversations" have been had with the "vast majority" of feminists. Hhhhmmm! Nothing fishy smelling about those claims of yours.:rolleyes: Btw, anecdotal evidence is all you have. So it's basically unverifiable, and thus meaningless.

Nowadays though, feminists want all the rights of men, but without the responsibilities and obligations that come with those rights.
Once again, conflating women with feminism.

I'm a feminist, and I have all the rights, responsibilities and obligations of being a man...

Person!!!

I'm also laughing at how often tessa says things like "already been discussed in these threads", as if that makes it factual.

I'm going to say things now, and then later just refer to it as fact, because I mentioned it earlier in this thread.

Tesseract is a liar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no such thing as equality for the female gender. There is only equality. This is my biggest issue with feminism.

Then"me, me, me" nature of feminism enshrined in the very term that links it with one gender inherently leads to abuse.

Feminism can't stand for equality if it fights only for women's equality with men, but stays silent and inactive in cases where women have more rights, advantages and privileges compared to men. This is the contradiction in feminism, for it claims to be for one thing in word - equality, but acts contrarily in deed. This shows feminism to be a female superiority movement.

Feminists are not a collective, they all come under the banner "feminist". Feminism does not mean whatever individual feminists want it to be, for if that were the case it means nothing. What feminism is is dictated by the prominent feminists who have the power to change things at a governmental level, prominent academic feminist authors, etc.

Postmodernism fail.

Also, you're being disingenuous. 'Feminism' is not a single ideology any more than 'religion' is a single ideology. Feminism is a many headed beast. Wikipedia describes feminism as:

Feminism is a range of movements and ideologies that share a common goal: to define, establish, and achieve equal political, economic, cultural, personal, and social rights for women.

It goes on to list the following variants:
You think they all agree with one another on what feminism is, or what it entails?

Do Christians share a universal doctrine? Do all western, eastern and non-trinitarian denominations agree on such fundamental things as the trinary nature of God, evolution, the sacraments, the status of Mary, the authority of the Holy See, support interdenominationalism, universal adherence to the covenants, beleive in judgement day and the rapture etc etc etc? Do all Christians agree on the same things?

By your logic, if feminism 'means nothing' due to its variety of ideologies, movements and variants, and by virtue of the subjective meaning of what it means to 'be a feminist', Christianity is on some damn shaky ground also.

While women had less rights, it was due to having less social and legal responsibilities and obligations compared to men.

Ditto with slaves. See where you're going wrong yet?

Nowadays though, feminists want all the rights of men, but without the responsibilities and obligations that come with those rights.

What proof do you have for this claim?

Claiming it is not rape if a woman doesn't scream is ok, taking the piss out of rape apologists is not, right I get it---Je Suis Tesseract

It's possible to respond to such absurd claims by pointing out why that's a bullshit claim - and without redorting to playing the man. Otherwise threads just devolve into pages of 'you're a dickhead' backwards and forwards before getting locked.

You're a smart bloke - it shouldn't be hard to tear his arguments to bits without resorting to playing the man.

It's possible to respond to such absurd claims by pointing out why that's a bullshit claim - and without redorting to playing the man. Otherwise threads just devolve into pages of 'you're a dickhead' backwards and forwards before getting locked.

You're a smart bloke - it shouldn't be hard to tear his arguments to bits without resorting to playing the man.
Okay, I understand what you're saying, I also recognise that you're a mod and I am probably crossing a line here, but, I have to ask, are you really more concerned with me offending a rape apologist, misogynistic, developmentally *ed, hate monger than you are with him arguing that it isn't rape if a woman doesn't scream? Particularly given that statistics would indicate that a significant number of BF readers have been victims of rape. Seriously, whose comments are more offensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back