Opinion Finals - Who Do You Want To Play and Where

Remove this Banner Ad

That means an 11.40am game for me, whilst at work...

I can watch most of it but I'd rather be at the pub where I can shout a bit.

Ugh.

fri night @ G…. thats 230 am friday morning here. And I can't take a dive either. Courntney Cox not happy if I trash her show….

Thats gonna be a long day…. WE had better beat those *ers….

GO Catters

What's under-discussed in this forum is that if Hawthorn pump Collingwood (highly likely),Freo win (likely) and Richmond win (possible), Geelong will know the best option is throwing the game vs Brisbane so we play Hawthorn in week 1 instead of Sydney in Sydney

What's the chance of our first final being Friday night? If its Hawthorn...... Yep, 6 day break.

Is in the paper today- likely final v Hawks, MCG Friday night 8pm.

I think it's more, for the loser so they get a decent break after the first final. 6 day still does suck.. altho Hawthorn did manage to beat us from a trip over to Perth on 6 days.

Typical AFL, no thought for Geelong supporters who now have to get into Melbourne on a Friday night. That means after work, with the traffic and with unreliable public transport. Will our great club actually say this doesn't work for our supporters. And yes a shorter break for us. Surely fifnishing top four gives you a Sat game oh no I forgot that television determines timing of games.

Of our 8 games this season which were played after 6 day breaks we have a 5-3 win/loss record:
Wins - Collingwood, North Melb (Simonds), Essendon, Melbourne, Carlton (2nd game) *all games in VIC*
Losses - Port Adelaide, Sydney, Gold Coast *all interstate trips*

If you had to choose between having your first final in Melbourne on a 6 day break or a having to play in Sydney but with an extra day rest you would definently pick the first option even with the less preparation time.

Last edited:
Typical AFL, no thought for Geelong supporters who now have to get into Melbourne on a Friday night. That means after work, with the traffic and with unreliable public transport. Will our great club actually say this doesn't work for our supporters. And yes a shorter break for us. Surely fifnishing top four gives you a Sat game oh no I forgot that television determines timing of games.

I sympathise it's hard for Geelong based supporters to get to Friday night games in Melbourne (just as hard for us Melbourne folk to have gotten to Thurs/Fri night games at Simonds this year) BUT if we play Hawks on Friday night and IF we lose, we will have a day's break over our opponent who will be yet to play an elimination final. And if we play and beat Hawthorn, we've got the longest possible break for our prelim...

I want to play Hawthorn, Sydney, then Fremantle at the MCG.

I want to play Hawthorn in the QF, with a fresh Johnson, McIntosh, Christensen, and Motlop.

I want to play Sydney in the PF, so this time we can be the fresh team and Sydney can be the tired and travelling team. Only fair after the farcical scheduling earlier in the year.

I want to play Freo in the GF, to take advantage if they choke again. Plus Stevie can belt Crowley and half the team can get reported/suspended without missing a final. A prelim against Freo would be far too dangerous.

We are a level below the best teams because we haven't shown we can play at our best for four quarters.
But if we won week one, and if we hosted Sydney or Freo at the G who had to play the extra week, would we start favourites to win that match and make the GF?
If yes, how likely is it we could win that first week if it was Hawthorn at the G? 50-50? 40-60?

Making a GF may sound impossible but when you break it down into steps, is it really a far fetched chance or much higher?

Top 4 gives you a huge advantage. We may be the 'fourth best' team in many people's eyes but we get the same reward as the best if we win 1 game.

And Hawthorn supporters claim QF don't count as games that 'matter'. Pffft.

If we're not good enough, so be it, but I want our boys to play and run and harrass week one like there is no tomorrow. If it's not enough fine. But NO half measures, no what ifs, no half heartedness.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back