Player Watch Fischer McAsey - Steps Away from Football, Not Returning

Do you think Fischer McAsey will be at the AFC in 2022?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Again, I dread anyone that gets that pick 6.....

Would of been better to trade that for like picks 11 and 29. Or even 3 picks between 30-40.

Hindsight is a wonder thing sometimes.

The only posistive that came out of that trade With GWS was even though pick 6 was McAsey, the other 1st rounder the crows got in 2020 ended up as Luke Pedlar so it wasnt a total disaster.
Confident Pedlar will be a special player if he has a good run without injury.

We picked Josh Rachele with pick 6 too.

I think covid & lockdowns & restrictions, played a significant role with McAsey.

I hope he finds plenty of happiness in his life.

I think covid & lockdowns & restrictions, played a significant role with McAsey.

Well I hope Rachele goes against the odds and plays 200-250 games for your mob.

But Looking at some of those taken pick 6 from 2010 draft onwards...

Chad wingard in 2011 and Jack McCrae in 2012.

Some of them were either duds or injury prone. Reece Conca was an average C grader But had a solid career at Richmond and Freo.

Matt Scharenberg was pick 6 in 2013. 40 games from 2014-20 means he had many injuries.

and some blokes Like Caleb Marchbank (2014) and Aaron Francis (2015) get traded to other clubs after 4-6 years.

I have seen Rachele play and I know he has talent. I would be pi##ed off as a crows fan if he does want to leave and got traded 4-6 years after he was drafted.

Some of them were either duds or injury prone. Reece Conca was an average C grader But had a solid career at Richmond and Freo.

Matt Scharenberg was pick 6 in 2013. 40 games from 2014-20 means he had many injuries.

and some blokes Like Caleb Marchbank (2014) and Aaron Francis (2015) get traded to other clubs after 4-6 years.

I have seen Rachele play and I know he has talent. I would be pi##ed off as a crows fan if he does want to leave and got traded 4-6 years after he was drafted.
Yeah, pick 6 definitely the bad luck pick of the top 10... but at least we didn't stuff both up.

Rachele is fun to watch & even moreso now he has Rankine to trade party tricks with.

I doubt we will play finals this year, but we should be good viewing with our forward line & more attacking game style.

Also I hope Pedlar has a Breakthrough season. Its geeting to the point where he as too.

its 2023 and this is his 3rd season. I expect him to get his fair share of games and disposals too.

Again, I dread anyone that gets that pick 6.....

Would of been better to trade that for like picks 11 and 29. Or even 3 picks between 30-40.

Hindsight is a wonder thing sometimes.

The only posistive that came out of that trade With GWS was even though pick 6 was McAsey, the other 1st rounder the crows got in 2020 ended up as Luke Pedlar so it wasnt a total disaster.

have. And I reckon only Wingard has performed commensurate with the pick used. But I think there's a couple of good ones in the last couple of years.

Also I hope Pedlar has a Breakthrough season. Its geeting to the point where he as too.

its 2023 and this is his 3rd season. I expect him to get his fair share of games and disposals too.
Pedlar has had his first injury free pre season so hopefully this flows to the normal season. In 2021 only played 10 Sanfl games. Last year 14. So hopefully a full year for him this year.

I reckon Rachele will be like Dangerfield. He'll play at Adelaide until his mid-20's and then explore free agency then when he's $1M/yr player.

The best strategies to keep him in Adelaide would be (a) great club culture, and (b) make sure he shacks up with an Adelaide girl.

Vader can probably best answer.

My understanding is McAsey is on our inactive list having retired.

I think that means we could still trade him if he refound his love for the game with another club.

But imo it's highly doubtful... also another club could just pick him up as a delisted player for free.
Technically he's still on our list. Being on the inactive list means that he won't be able to play for the entire season, but beyond that I don't see any reason why we wouldn't be able to trade him at the end of the year.

... but as you say, every club knows he'll be available as a DFA, so why they would trade for him is beyond me.

Technically he's still on our list. Being on the inactive list means that he won't be able to play for the entire season, but beyond that I don't see any reason why we wouldn't be able to trade him at the end of the year.

... but as you say, every club knows he'll be available as a DFA, so why they would trade for him is beyond me.
Only way would be if he regained the love of football & more than 1 club was interested... but unlikely he will be at any AFL club next year.

Only way would be if he regained the love of football & more than 1 club was interested... but unlikely he will be at any AFL club next year.
In a way I seriously hopes Fisher McAsey some how reversed his decision.

Then plays a few games for the crows this year. Say he comes back and trains for the crows.

Then plays 8-10 AFL games after the bye and has some trade value.

It's unlikely.

Then plays a few games for the crows this year. Say he comes back and trains for the crows.

It's unlikely.
Too late as we have placed him on the inactive list & backfilled him with Keane.

Would be happy to see him play footy in some lower competition to regain his love of the game.

Too late as we have placed him on the inactive list & backfilled him with Keane.

Would be happy to see him play footy in some lower competition to regain his love of the game.
Ah ok then....

I was surprised to hear this.

I was also surprised the crows filled Fisher McAsey list spot already.

In a way, even though the crows would be one player short, I half expected the crows to have waited until the mid season draft and look at a local player in the SANFL.

Fair enough. Best of luck to him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ah ok then....

I was surprised to hear this.

I was also surprised the crows filled Fisher McAsey list spot already.

In a way, even though the crows would be one player short, I half expected the crows to have waited until the mid season draft and look at a local player in the SANFL.

Fair enough. Best of luck to him.
We were pretty much one player short with him on the list anyway. Would have been delisted last year if his contract was up.

It's unlikely.

He's really big on mental health these days and being on an AFL list isn't conducive to that.

He won't play in the AFL ever again, not for any team.

Lots of content there George. Some certainly casting doubts about his ultimate desire to focus on AFL and then the same guy says his pysch testing showed he could perhaps been leadership material. Quite conflicting messages if I have read that right, and lots of players over the years are well known as not being complete “footy heads”.

Overall agree the Mc Asey pick clearly didn’t work - I acknowledge seemingly at least partially attributable to the club taking a risk on his at least somewhat questionable drive and ability to cope away from home, and also lack of athletic ability - but we also got Pedlar as part of that years pick 4 downgrade. So it’s not a complete disaster. And we have nailed many other top end picks in recent years - TT, Rachele, Fog, pick 5 for Rankine and even Jones may ultimately come good.

from supporting your perspective:

“They were trying to push and prod him to get the best out of him.

“It was about motivation, ‘how did you get him going?’

“Marco said the biggest thing is Fisch working out whether he wants to play footy or not.”

It turned out the answer was no.

and also

O’Brien did not believe McAsey was a fish out of water in an AFL environment and said football had room for deep thinkers who were not obsessed with the game.

“There’s a lot of those guys around and a fair few at the club,” he said.

to not supporting your perspective re application and motivation:

Bourke had some question marks about McAsey’s athletic traits at AFL level, thinking he was a great anticipator of the ball though not very quick.

But he would have been surprised in 2019 if someone told him his former charge would quit the AFL after just three seasons.

“He’s the type of kid that in their interviewing and psych testing might have come up as a future captain,” he said.

“He’s considered, he’s intelligent, he’s respectful … thoughtful and all those things you look for in leadership.”

McAsey is also very close with his family.

At the end of his debut season, he was understandably shaken after his dad, Chris, had a major health scare while McAsey was back home in Melbourne for the first time in months due to coronavirus travel limitations.

Lots of content there George. Some certainly casting doubts about his ultimate desire to focus on AFL and then the same guy says his pysch testing showed he could perhaps been leadership material. Quite conflicting messages if I have read that right, and lots of players over the years are well known as not being complete “footy heads”.

Overall agree the Mc Asey pick clearly didn’t work - I acknowledge seemingly at least partially attributable to the club taking a risk on his at least somewhat questionable drive and ability to cope away from home, and also lack of athletic ability - but we also got Pedlar as part of that years pick 4 downgrade. So it’s not a complete disaster. And we have nailed many other top end picks in recent years - TT, Rachele, Fog, pick 5 for Rankine and even Jones may ultimately come good.

from supporting your perspective:

“They were trying to push and prod him to get the best out of him.

“It was about motivation, ‘how did you get him going?’

“Marco said the biggest thing is Fisch working out whether he wants to play footy or not.”

It turned out the answer was no.

and also

O’Brien did not believe McAsey was a fish out of water in an AFL environment and said football had room for deep thinkers who were not obsessed with the game.

“There’s a lot of those guys around and a fair few at the club,” he said.

to not supporting your perspective re application and motivation:

Bourke had some question marks about McAsey’s athletic traits at AFL level, thinking he was a great anticipator of the ball though not very quick.

But he would have been surprised in 2019 if someone told him his former charge would quit the AFL after just three seasons.

“He’s the type of kid that in their interviewing and psych testing might have come up as a future captain,” he said.

“He’s considered, he’s intelligent, he’s respectful … thoughtful and all those things you look for in leadership.”

McAsey is also very close with his family.

At the end of his debut season, he was understandably shaken after his dad, Chris, had a major health scare while McAsey was back home in Melbourne for the first time in months due to coronavirus travel limitations.
You missed this key quote:

“He’s a different personality to a lot of the boys that go into the AFL where all they’re hellbent on doing is becoming an AFL player,”

And I'll bet that Josh Bourke never said that to any one of the recruiters that spoke to him re McAsey prior to the draft...his job is to get as many players drafted to the AFL as he can....another case of hindsight right there.

And I'll bet that Josh Bourke never said that to any one of the recruiters that spoke to him re McAsey prior to the draft...his job is to get as many players drafted to the AFL as he can....another case of hindsight right there.
Not his job to

It's the club's job to get to know the players, knowing that comments from clubs / coaches / schools / family / friends will likely to have a self-serving or player-serving element to them.

Not his job to

It's the club's job to get to know the players, knowing that comments from clubs / coaches / schools / family / friends will likely to have a self-serving or player-serving element to them.
So they ****ed up on this occasion, they ain't Robinson Crusoe, you show me a recruiter that never got a 1st round pick wrong and I'll annoint him as the god of all recruiters.

So they ****ed up on this occasion, they ain't Robinson Crusoe, you show me a recruiter that never got a 1st round pick wrong and I'll annoint him as the god of all recruiters.
But they should never have spend a pick 6 on a KPD for a start. No matter how fxxkn promising he looked.

you can pick decent KPD’s up in the rookie draft ffs..

we wasted a pick 6 on one.. we couldve had kossie pickett or Will Day!.

No one has said our guys screwed up every pick

No one has said that other recruiters never stuff up

This one hurts because it's Pick 6 during a period we're down near the bottom and teams only rise when they nail cluster of early picks together

Forgetting the pros and cons of McAsey, that Butts (rookie list) and Murray (undrafted) are now our two KPDs and both doing well shows how needless it is to waste elite picks on that area of the ground

But they should never have spend a pick 6 on a KPD for a start. No matter how fxxkn promising he looked.

you can pick decent KPD’s up in the rookie draft ffs..

we wasted a pick 6 on one.. we couldve had kossie pickett or Will Day!.
So could have how many clubs who had picks before those 2 were picked

Back