Player Watch Fischer McAsey - Steps Away from Football, Not Returning

Do you think Fischer McAsey will be at the AFC in 2022?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

He is looking a bargain at the moment.
We have a better record picking up key defenders as rookies than 1st rounders!

Rutten, Bock, Butts & Murray.

V

Talia & Lever.

Last edited:
Not exactly KPD's but Stiffy Johncock was a late pick and Laird a rookie as well.
Pick 67 I believe for Stiffy.

Laird could be our best ever bargain pick.

Pick 67 I believe for Stiffy.

Laird could be our best ever bargain pick.
Simon Goodwin 95th player picked in 1995 Draft (@ 18 in the PSD).

Laird about the 98th player pick in 2011 (@ 5 in the RD). 100th picked if you include 17yo O’Meara & Crouch in the Mini Draft.

I know that recruiting was a lottery in 1995, but Goodwin has Laird covered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No one has said our guys screwed up every pick

No one has said that other recruiters never stuff up

This one hurts because it's Pick 6 during a period we're down near the bottom and teams only rise when they nail cluster of early picks together

Forgetting the pros and cons of McAsey, that Butts (rookie list) and Murray (undrafted) are now our two KPDs and both doing well shows how needless it is to waste elite picks on that area of the ground
I think your last point is the bit that mostly bothers me.

I get going tall - but key defenders can be found throughout the draft, you don't really need to spend a pick 6 on one. And if you do, you absolutely don't want to get it wrong.

So in the history of the club drafting KPD prospects with 1st round picks we have Phil Davis :heavycheck: Daniel Talia :heavycheck: Jake Lever :heavycheck: Fischer McAsey :heavymultiply:. Is that right?

I’m other the opinion that you always draft the best talent available, regardless of position.

If Hamish and co thought that McAsey was a better talent than Serong, Green and Day, then I can live with this as an error as recently his drafting has been good.

However, if they didn’t, then I really hope this leads to a rethink of our drafting strategy. As we’ve seen, Butts and Murray have come from later options and fill the role well, and there’s potential to get Cox in a trade or someone else down the line. Taking a KPD “because we needed one”, and leaving some serious talent on the board, one of which is a SA lad, is not acceptable.

No.6 draft pick 'grieving' after AFL 'dream' ends

Former top 10 draft pick Fischer McAsey has opened up on his decision to retire from the AFL after just three seasons.

McAsey was drafted out of the Sandringham Dragons, selected by the Adelaide Crows with pick No.6 in the 2019 national draft.

He debuted in the opening round of the 2020 season and played 10 AFL games in his first campaign.

However, the promising defender did not feature at the senior level during the 2021 or 2022 seasons before announcing his retirement in January 2023, citing personal reasons.

Speaking to SEN's The Run Home, McAsey said that he lost his passion to play and perform at the elite level.

He admitted that while he was disappointed to have bailed out of the AFL, he stood by his decision to take a step back.

"[It is] a little bit [disappointing], yeah," McAsey said.

"I've done a bit of grieving this year of that childhood dream and how it went those three years in the system.

"It is slightly disappointing in that regard, but at the same time, I don't feel like I would have necessarily done much differently. I was trying a lot of things and it just didn't feel like it was working.

"It was almost just a gut feeling to step away so I really trusted my gut."

Required to move from Melbourne to Adelaide to play for the Crows, McAsey acknowledged that with hindsight he was not prepared to move interstate and be independent from his family.

"There was probably some mixed emotions on draft night to be completely honest," he said.

"You have your family there, my sister was a bit emotional. But at the same time, it was exciting for a new chapter and a new experience to go somewhere new. Definitely mixed emotions.

"It's a completely different life when you move interstate especially.

"Looking back on it, I probably wasn't prepared to have that independent adult lifestyle just yet. COVID sort of compounded that a little bit."

Despite the challenges he endured, the 22-year-old does not regret his time in Adelaide.

"It's so mixed because I had so many good memories and good times at the Crows," he said.

"Even playing in the SANFL last year, I really enjoyed that. We had a deep run into the finals and I enjoyed playing there.

"There was a lot of hardship as well I'd say. I did struggle quite a bit sometimes with the day-to-day and getting into the club. I just wasn't enjoying it fully and that's ultimately what led to my decision.

"But at the same time, I met so many great people and experienced a different part of myself and grew as a person a lot, so definitely mixed [feelings]."

After departing the Crows, McAsey removed himself from footy completely and didn't play at any level this year.

"This year I've taken some space to remove myself from it a little bit," he said.

"I haven't played. I've still watched some footy here and there, but I've just given myself some room, and if that spark comes back then that's great.

"I think time will tell, but definitely I don't have that same full spark I did when I was younger."

While McAsey is not entertaining a return to the AFL anytime soon, he believes he will play football at some level in 2024.

"It remains to be seen [whether I'll ever return to the AFL]," he said.

"At the moment I don't have those aspirations in my current frame of mind.

"But I'm still 22, so I've still got a lot of time in front of me. If I do play footy next year, which I think I probably will, then that spark could return and those motivations could come back.

"At the moment I'm focusing on some other things."

McAsey was placed on Adelaide's inactive list for the 2023 season. His contract was due to expire at the end of next season.

There were trade whispers that McAsey would request a move back home to Victoria, and he was linked to a move to Carlton late in 2022 but nothing eventuated.

Our idiot recruiters didn't do him any favours by taking him at pick 6 and inviting all the extra scrutiny and even if he was good enough, sounds like he would have been a flight risk. Nice work Hamish.
Hearing him talk about not liking training and not being able to be motivated to do that at a high level probably tells you he'd of flamed out no matter when he was picked or where he went.

Back