Player Watch Fischer McAsey - Steps Away from Football, Not Returning

Do you think Fischer McAsey will be at the AFC in 2022?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Hearing him talk about not liking training and not being able to be motivated to do that at a high level probably tells you he'd of flamed out no matter when he was picked or where he went.
Agreed. Nobody really cares about a later draft picks flaming out though. This recent interview probably wouldn't even exist if he didn't go in the first round.

Our idiot recruiters didn't do him any favours by taking him at pick 6 and inviting all the extra scrutiny and even if he was good enough, sounds like he would have been a flight risk. Nice work Hamish.
He probably was waving multiple red flags at the interview and our recruiters were colour blind. :drunk:

Our idiot recruiters didn't do him any favours by taking him at pick 6 and inviting all the extra scrutiny and even if he was good enough, sounds like he would have been a flight risk. Nice work Hamish.

If Covid hadnt happened, 95% chance he'd have already bailed back home. Sadly now everyone loses out.

He probably was waving multiple red flags at the interview and our recruiters were colour blind. :drunk:
giphy.gif

(the internet has a gif for everything)

If Covid hadnt happened, 95% chance he'd have already bailed back home. Sadly now everyone loses out.
What do you think we could have got for him at the end of 2020? That was our best shot at getting something back. At that point he'd not shown much but it was also too early to call him an outright bust. Another side would have been sucked into first rounder bias and we could have walked away with something.

What do you think we could have got for him at the end of 2020? That was our best shot at getting something back. At that point he'd not shown much but it was also too early to call him an outright bust. Another side would have been sucked into first rounder bias and we could have walked away with something.

He was a pretty highly regarded junior, I'd like to think we could have swapped him for someone's first in the 12-18 range, nothing more than that tho.

How was he so highly rated by his own coaches in the junior system if he didn't enjoy training?

I thought TAC cup was really good at preparing kids to be full time professional athletes?

For me this still rests solely on the shoulders of the recruitment team in not identifying the obvious issues he had.

How was he so highly rated by his own coaches in the junior system if he didn't enjoy training?

I thought TAC cup was really good at preparing kids to be full time professional athletes?

For me this still rests solely on the shoulders of the recruitment team in not identifying the obvious issues he had.
We also extended his contract while he was here

We also extended his contract while he was here
That also seemed PR motivated as we were desperately trying to sell that Nicks was turning the place around culture wise, so the last thing they wanted was his first kid they drafted wanting out after 12 months.

Hearing him talk about not liking training and not being able to be motivated to do that at a high level probably tells you he'd of flamed out no matter when he was picked or where he went.

Is there a lot more content in a radio interview with him?
I didn’t pick up anything about training in that section I read. He jus t seemed to indicate in hindsight he wasn’t ready to move interstate and couldn’t bounce back from it. Seems like he original thought he could and had a hunger to play

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Is there a lot more content in a radio interview with him?
I didn’t pick up anything about training in that section I read. He jus t seemed to indicate in hindsight he wasn’t ready to move interstate and couldn’t bounce back from it. Seems like he original thought he could and had a hunger to play

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He was taken where he was rated and we took the best big man available. Everythings easy on hindsight. Every bit of available evidence suggests this result would have occurred with any club. If it was a Crows problem, he would have requested a trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

to be fair, Pick 6 is historically a cursed pick though. A far bit of duds or average players or injury prone players have been picked at pick 6.

to be fair, Pick 6 is historically a cursed pick though. A far bit of duds or average players or injury prone players have been picked at pick 6.
Interesting stuff, just looked it up, fewest average games of any of the top 20 picks.

But then of course our dud pick was one of the duddest even in a group of duds. 2nd least amount of games from a pick 6 since 2000. Only Hawthorn's Mitch Thorp played fewer (2).

probably is wearing his failure a bit too proudly, if it were me I'd be off hiding somewhere far away from afl footy.

but the club has a long history of using the sanfl as a blunt instrument to unsuccessfully develop players of his type, so wouldn't be too quick to solely blame the player either.

probably is wearing his failure a bit too proudly, if it were me I'd be off hiding somewhere far away from afl footy.

but the club has a long history of using the sanfl as a blunt instrument to unsuccessfully develop players of his type, so wouldn't be too quick to solely blame the player either.
He said he enjoyed playing, even SANFL. It's kind of like PE class in primary school. Kid doesn't want to run the two laps of the oval cause that's boring, but wants to play the soccer game after that.

He said he enjoyed playing, even SANFL. It's kind of like PE class in primary school. Kid doesn't want to run the two laps of the oval cause that's boring, but wants to play the soccer game after that.
I wouldn't be surprised if he was only doing footy because he was good at it. Once it becomes a full time job it wasn't worth it to him.

He looked like we shot his dog. Not to mention his ecstatic family.
It seriously makes you wonder how our pre-draft interviews with him were conducted and if-
  • he thought he wasn’t allowed to intimate that he only wanted to be drafted by a Vic club
  • he foolishly believed only a Vic club would draft him, so he just told us what we wanted to hear and we took it at face value
OR
  • his demeanour was as awkward and sour as it was when his name was called out on draft night, and we just fully ignored it
Knowing us, the latter certainly wouldn’t surprise me. But we’ll never know the truth. I’m sure this failed pick eats away at us supporters far more than it does the actual recruiting team LOL. Just an unbelievably shocking lack of due diligence on the club’s part.

Curses don't actually exist so that isn't any sort of defense.

Obviously there is no such thing as a "cursed" pick, but the sample size is now large enough to be significant. For whatever reason pick 6 seems to lead to comparatively poor results. Perhaps that's around the point in the draft where the elite talent is gone, and clubs start picking for needs? Or the point at which you take a risk on a raw but talented player who looks like they have elite traits, or whatever?

Mind you, it's hard to argue that pick 7 should be any different.

Back