Football Related Random Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 2

Yesterday, I saw Wayne Bennett in a jedi costume on what I assumed was the back page of the Courier Mail that was lying flat on the table. I tried to open it from the left hand side, and realised it was the front page. He was also on the back.

I don't think 'a story' is what holds back our ranking in Queensland.

I SO hope he fails.
Feel for Griffen ,not sure he was all that bad.

While it's politics-related, I wonder if we'll persist with Mrs Newman as #1 ticketholder next year. He's effectively a dead-man walking in his electorate as it stands. While I'm sure she's been involved with the odd community outreach program, you'd have to say she's pretty much MIA in a public sense. Bring on Mel Schlanger (or someone with a public profile who actively spruiks the club) I say.

No idea where to stick this...

THE BRISBANE Lions are confident of retaining their exciting crop of first-year players long-term, and they are prepared to spend a little extra to do so. The club lost five first round draftees due to homesickness at the end of last season and is desperate to avoid a repeat occurrence this time around.

The club is paying 95 per cent of the salary cap this year, and if needed has scope to pay more than 100 per cent next year and beyond under the new 'banking' system introduced by the AFL in June.

Warren said he understood player managers wanting to hold off a little longer to get a better deal for their clients, who are becoming increasingly more valuable to the Lions. "We'd like to get something done with the majority of them by the end of this year, but with that said, if not this year, we're happy for early next year. There's no urgency," Warren said. Aside from having another 15 months on each contract, Warren is comforted by the feedback he is getting.

First and second-year players are also granted extra time to return to their home states to visit families. "Most of them (managers) have been really happy and how their players have settled in. For them, there's no real urgency to sign right now because they're just finishing their first year," Warren said. "We're not concerned about guys leaving and going home at this point because they're loving their environment … and the group's close. "The feedback we're getting is super-positive. "If they're happy to consider extending right now, then we'll do that, but there's no real rush at this stage."

Sounds very positive, but in all seriousness, we must have a lot of guys being paid a lot more than they're actually worth if the bolded is correct. Stacking our list side by side with say a Hawthorn and the fact we aren't paying a disproportionate amount to our players means most are getting more than they're worth. Lets hope the loyalty works the other way when we need to reduce their salary to ensure we can retain others that should be paid more when the time comes.

Btc6c2SCQAEL9AA.jpg

Fantastic Picture

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back