Training 2023 Pre-season thread

Remove this Banner Ad

He's fine
Don't think Fish would put him in the team if he wasn't right, like he did with Gardiner.
I agree with both of you... I was answering a question Nunez asked of Scubaveg as I was pretty sure that would have been Scubaveg's response, personally I was not worried about Jack's availability in the least.

To reflect for a moment, nice to have the selection dilemmas we have. At some stage we are gonna be hit with injuries. Having
Prior, Answerth, Lyons, Fort, Joyce, Tunstall and Mathieson (to name but a few) fighting for positions and waiting in the wings is very reassuring. Not sure but it feels to be the best depth we have had since the early 2000 glory days.

Just interested to note that we are now the odds on favourite for the Port away game on the AFL website according to their fixtures page. Sort of shifts the broader narrative that some were talking up about Port needing to win at home as favourites to stop the mob starting on Ken straight away.

I think we will need to be a bit patient with Payne. Gotta remember he has only played 27 games, in one of the toughest positions on the ground. He is bound to make some errors and have some shockers. This will potentially be his first full season in the firsts with a great deal of responsibility on his shoulders, but I think the more he plays the better he will get. Just hoping he has an injury free season.

I think we will need to be a bit patient with Payne. Gotta remember he has only played 27 games, in one of the toughest positions on the ground. He is bound to make some errors and have some shockers. This will potentially be his first full season in the firsts with a great deal of responsibility on his shoulders, but I think the more he plays the better he will get. Just hoping he has an injury free season.
Drafted in 2017 so Payne has been in the system for 5 years. No AFL games in the first 2 years.
However, 5 of those 27 games were finals so great experience for him.
He has looked fairly comfortable playing in the sims and trial games.
Possibly because he knows the spot is for him to lose.

I have high hopes for him this year but as you say he will have some clangers for sure.
He only had 1 clanger in the Cats game, compared to 5 each for co-defenders Andrews, Rich & McKenna

Drafted in 2017 so Payne has been in the system for 5 years. No AFL games in the first 2 years.
However, 5 of those 27 games were finals so great experience for him.
He has looked fairly comfortable playing in the sims and trial games.
Possibly because he knows the spot is for him to lose.

I have high hopes for him this year but as you say he will have some clangers for sure.
He only had 1 clanger in the Cats game, compared to 5 each for co-defenders Andrews, Rich & McKenna

I don't have a direct memory of the clangers for Andrews, Rich McKenna, but guessing they were pressured kicks out of contest that got turned over? Payne's issues are the turnovers which are totally unpressured, which can hopefully decrease as he gets more experience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't have a direct memory of the clangers for Andrews, Rich McKenna, but guessing they were pressured kicks out of contest that got turned over? Payne's issues are the turnovers which are totally unpressured, which can hopefully decrease as he gets more experience.
Payne had a total of 17 clangers in his 12 games in 2022
That is an average of 1.4 per game.

His turnovers were higher being 31 or 2.6 per game
So yes he needs to clear that up a bit seeing so far he is not a huge possession getter averaging just 11 disposals last year.

Coleman and Rich should become his best friend out of defense.

To reflect for a moment, nice to have the selection dilemmas we have. At some stage we are gonna be hit with injuries. Having
Prior, Answerth, Lyons, Fort, Joyce, Tunstall and Mathieson (to name but a few) fighting for positions and waiting in the wings is very reassuring. Not sure but it feels to be the best depth we have had since the early 2000 glory days.
Was there that much depth then,serious question.I reckon except for ruckman we had a pretty good run with injury.Someone with more patience and knowledge than me might comment further.

I would go so far as to say that imo he is not ready.
Jimmy Tunstill is more ready than Sharpy.
seems to tempt fate with these recent predictions of players to look out far - Eli Smith last year and i think BAllenden the year before.

Ive seen a bit of live reserves games and any on YT and whilst he's obviously a great trainer , to my unlearned eye, I dont quite see it with Sharp although would love to be proven wrong.

Let's hope so. The issue I believe will arrise if they adjudicate those things correctly though is that the media and fans will jump on the 'put the whistle away and let them play' bandwagon, rather than saying 'the game wouldn't stop every 30 seconds if players could play within the rules.'

Cause and affect. They have been allowed to get away with so much for so long. Crack down on it, it will take a little bit of time, but they will adjust their actions so they don't give away free kicks.

Get rid of off the molestation of players without the ball and the game would be a much better to watch.

Cause and affect. They have been allowed to get away with so much for so long. Crack down on it, it will take a little bit of time, but they will adjust their actions so they don't give away free kicks.

Get rid of off the molestation of players without the ball and the game would be a much better to watch.
"Pre-tackling". When it is actually better to be second to the ball because you can basically be inside someone's shorts before they even take possession. If you are not first to the ball or side by side with your opponent, it is physically impossible for you to either shepherd, or bump in the side. Thus, ANY contact, regardless of how incidental it is, should see the first player rewarded with a free kick.

If prior opportunity is eliminated (which I believe it eventually should and will be), this is an absolute must as a corollary. Otherwise the game will be end up looking like those cycling races where they sit at the top of the track trying to outdo the other guy as to who can go the slowest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back