Training 2023 Pre-season thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Haha. My parents have just turned a positive for covid. Might have to go chill at their place.
No need to go to their place, just say you have Covid.

3iftkn.gif

Fish’s thoughts on the round 1 team.

He thinks that Zorko still won’t be right from his Hammy which is a bit of a concern for him but I think we have blokes that can cover for him now.
Talls in defence will be a lingering issue all year I think.

MOCK TEAMS: Who's in your club's best 22 for round one?

BRISBANE

B:
Darragh Joyce, Harris Andrews, Brandon Starcevich
HB: Daniel Rich, Jack Payne, Keidean Coleman
C: Darcy Wilmot, Josh Dunkley, Jarrod Berry
HF: Lincoln McCarthy, Eric Hipwood, Zac Bailey
F: Charlie Cameron, Joe Daniher, Jack Gunston
Foll: Oscar McInerney, Lachie Neale, Hugh McCluggage
I/C: Conor McKenna, Deven Robertson, Will Ashcroft, Cam Rayner
EMERG: Noah Answerth, Jarryd Lyons, Jaxon Prior, Darcy Fort

NEW: Will Ashcroft, Josh Dunkley, Jack Gunston, Darragh Joyce, Conor McKenna
UNAVAILABLE: Callum Ah Chee (quad), Darcy Gardiner (foot).

NOTES: The main selection dilemma for the Lions comes in defence, with Marcus Adams (concussion) on the inactive list and Gardinerstill not quite right. With Port Adelaide sporting three genuine tall targets, Joyce could be called in, as could Ryan Lester. The real swing player is Rayner, who has trained and played in defence all pre-season, but can still be used in any part of the ground. Former skipper Dayne Zorko is unlikely to overcome his hamstring injury, paving the way for Robertson to get a deserved opportunity. – Michael Whiting

NOTES: The main selection dilemma for the Lions comes in defence, with Marcus Adams (concussion) on the inactive list and Gardinerstill not quite right. With Port Adelaide sporting three genuine tall targets, Joyce could be called in, as could Ryan Lester. The real swing player is Rayner, who has trained and played in defence all pre-season, but can still be used in any part of the ground. Former skipper Dayne Zorko is unlikely to overcome his hamstring injury, paving the way for Robertson to get a deserved opportunity. – Michael Whiting
Luckily for us, Port have no forward system whatsoever. No use going with three talls when none of them can get their hands on the ball. With back-six selection in mind, I'd probably stick with what we threw out against Geelong. Payne, Andrews and Starc play tall while Rayner, Coleman, Mckenna and Rich take the rest.

Not sure if Joyce would get a run or not. Haven't seen him play yet but if we're desperate for another tall then he'd be my pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Luckily for us, Port have no forward system whatsoever. No use going with three talls when none of them can get their hands on the ball. With back-six selection in mind, I'd probably stick with what we threw out against Geelong. Payne, Andrews and Starc play tall while Rayner, Coleman, Mckenna and Rich take the rest.

Not sure if Joyce would get a run or not. Haven't seen him play yet but if we're desperate for another tall then he'd be my pick.
might be worth play Joyce to give him some match time with Melbourne and Bulldogs and Collingwood in our near future....

He thinks that Zorko still won’t be right from his Hammy which is a bit of a concern for him but I think we have blokes that can cover for him now.

BRISBANE

B:

Shouldn't mock teams now be best 23?

might be worth play Joyce to give him some match time with Melbourne and Bulldogs and Collingwood in our near future....
That’s a good point. Would still want to be entirely focused on winning this game though.

Zorko been out since early feb. Reported on feb 9 but happened a bit earlier. It would be madness to play a 34yo in that context. Get him fully fit through the 2s.

Anyone know what is wrong with Berry to make him miss the cats game? If he misses some spots up for grabs. You’d think 3 of Prior / Tunstill / McKenna / Wilmot will play.

BRISBANE

B:

I think this team is very close, but wouldn't surprise me if we play with just the 2 genuine talls in defence and let Rayner and Starcevich play third tall when needed.

From the practice matches, our defensive zone was set up well and allowed Andrews and Payne to come off their man to intercept the footy. This will be crucial if only playing 2 talls.

From that team,
Out: Joyce
In: Prior

Remove this Banner Ad

Back