No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reminds me of those buggy late 90's AFL videogames...

Bruce: Welcome to the MCG for todays game between... Collingwood Mapies... and... North Melbourne Kangaroos. I'm tipping... North Melbourne. Derm?

Derm: Thanks Bruce. I'm going the other way. I'm backing... the Roos.
Fittingly, my lasting memory of AFL 98 is "push in the back by....Clarkson"

In fact it was the only thing I really knew about Clarkson when we appointed him in 2004

Reminds me of those buggy late 90's AFL videogames...

Bruce: Welcome to the MCG for todays game between... Collingwood Mapies... and... North Melbourne Kangaroos. I'm tipping... North Melbourne. Derm?

Derm: Thanks Bruce. I'm going the other way. I'm backing... the Roos.
I remember AFL 99 on PS1 being one of the first video games I ever played. That intro video still gets me amped!

I remember you could modify the sliders and make a team of super fast, super skilful giants and pit them against a team of barely functional ants who were smaller than the footy.

How am I going with an overly simplistic good guy / bad guy take?

You're the one who has been replying to literally every comment that the reporting was flat out wrong when it wasn't. Clarko did talk to Essendon, he admitted it - so if you're going to be the fair dinkum balanced poster you're making out you should have a healthy scepticism about what everyone says and not just lap it up because that's the way Clarko said it went down.

He's a sharp bloke and not oblivious about the situation around Essendon, he would have known that meeting with Essendon would be a story.
At the risk of protracting a debate RB93, healthy skepticism works both ways.

Each to their own, but I stopped buying into the AFL media's regular prognostications which are predominately fictional inventions many years ago...

FFS, there is less gossip and innuendo nonsense in Women's Weekly/New Idea than is published on the Foxsports website these days..!

Related, who was it that said; "I haven't read any daily news for years as I'd rather be uniformed than misinformed"..?

Last edited:
How am I going with an overly simplistic good guy / bad guy take?

You're the one who has been replying to literally every comment that the reporting was flat out wrong when it wasn't. Clarko did talk to Essendon, he admitted it - so if you're going to be the fair dinkum balanced poster you're making out you should have a healthy scepticism about what everyone says and not just lap it up because that's the way Clarko said it went down.

He's a sharp bloke and not oblivious about the situation around Essendon, he would have known that meeting with Essendon would be a story.
All I've said consistently is that we should hold fire on the volatility and abuse of this guy until we know more than spurious reports that were constantly changing. I'd say that's a more balanced posting than firing off things like he only took the North job "because the PR might be a little too negative".

All I've said consistently is that we should hold fire on the volatility and abuse of this guy until we know more than spurious reports that were constantly changing. I'd say that's a more balanced posting than firing off things like he only took the North job "because the PR might be a little too negative".
You said only, I didn't.

Let's hold off on the volatility and abuse until Clarko chimes in and then we can just assume everything he said is 100% true and accurate :)

Let's be balanced guys!

From Reddit user HerdOfGibbons, the Clarkson coaching tree

acglmpjtnli91.png

I wonder how comically large it'll get if he succeeds at North?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From Reddit user HerdOfGibbons, the Clarkson coaching tree

acglmpjtnli91.png

I wonder how comically large it'll get if he succeeds at North?
This is intruging. Not because there's any real pattern to it, but trying to work out who is the next Bolton/Cameron and gets the ass.

My guess is Ratten or Bevo.

This is intruging. Not because there's any real pattern to it, but trying to work out who is the next Bolton/Cameron and gets the ass.

My guess is Ratten or Bevo.
Funny how quickly thing go up and down. Weird how Ratten was held up as something special off a few wins and now seems well under the pump...

Funny how quickly thing go up and down. Weird how Ratten was held up as something special off a few wins and now seems well under the pump...
St Kilda will do that to you.

At the risk of protracting a debate RB93, healthy skepticism works both ways.

Each to their own, but I stopped buying into the AFL media's regular prognostications which are predominately fictional inventions many years ago...

FFS, there is less gossip and innuendo nonsense in Women's Weekly/New Idea than is published on the Foxsports website these days..!

Related, who was it that said; "I haven't read any daily news for years as I'd rather be uniformed than misinformed"...

I've paid very little attention to the media for many years and take everything they say with a grain of salt. They tend to think the most relevant and important thing about a football story is it is they who are covering it.

I can't recall the exact quote from Jeff Kennett many years ago when asked about the difference between media in politics and football. He said something like the media thinks they are part of politics, whereas the football media think they own it. Quite happy for anyone to supply the precise quote :)

I've paid very little attention to the media for many years and take everything they say with a grain of salt. They tend to think the most relevant and important thing about a football story is it is they who are covering it.

I can't recall the exact quote from Jeff Kennett many years ago when asked about the difference between media in politics and football. He said something like the media thinks they are part of politics, whereas the football media think they own it. Quite happy for anyone to supply the precise quote :)
Yes recall that one, although not his exact quote - but for all his constant gaffs and foot-in-mouth quotes, occasionally Kennett comes up with a ripper.

Like last year during the trade period when the AFL media created this nonsense narrative about us shopping around most of our senior players, which was pure speculation on the back of Kennett's ambiguous comment in a letter to members about being 'prepared for change'.

So when these trades did not materialize (TOB/Ceglar the exceptions), with the media buffoons back-tracking while also half suggesting Kennett had somehow mislead them, on SEN Kennett said in a jovial tone:
"Gee, you know I can't help feeling a lot of you media people have really missed your true calling as fictional novelists..!"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back