Oppo Camp 2014 General AFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any teams other than St Kilda who people are happy to see be successful? Seriously what's the problem with North?

While I am sure I am going to be the odd man out here. I would like Collingwood to win two more flags. Just becouse it would piss off Essendon and Carlton.

Otherwise, the other hard luck teams I guess.

Are there any teams other than St Kilda who people are happy to see be successful? Seriously what's the problem with North?

Happy to see the Doggies, Port and Gold Coast be successful. Would hate for Norf to even make the finals, given how ridiculous the majority of their of posters on BigFooty are, they'd be insufferable. I don't mind Hawthorn or Geelong either.

Can't stand Essendon for obvious reasons. Not a fan of teams getting ahead of themselves like North have so not thrilled with them either, but I kind of hope they do well for Dal. Everyone else I have no problem with.

Geelong were the team I hated the most. Then they beat us in 09 and I said "well I guess I have to let that go..." So I started hating Collingwood the most.

Then 2010 happened and I again forced myself to let go of the hate.

Now I hate North the most. I think I'm pretty safe here ;)

Western Bulldogs as like us long overdue for a flag. Happy if Carlton and Essendon never win another one.

I've been reading the Malthouse under the pump thread, and for all the talk of lists and Ratten, the unkindest thing said about Mick is that he was a good coach. For me this is too kind, at WC he had a virtual State of Origin team, virtually unlimited resources and 10 years, at Collingwood he had 11 years and even more money. What he had at both clubs were senior players that were very strong on field leaders that bought into his game plan and enforced it on the ground.

What he doesn't have at Carlton is money, talent and strong senior players. His years of luxury at WC and Collingwood have inflated his ego and his self perception. Who has he got in his coaching team that will argue the point with him? No-one.

The difference between Carlton of 2012 and Carlton 2013/14, is simple, they aren't any better and what has changed?

The senior players are older and the mid range players of 2 years ago are either gone or barely holding on, who in that mid range have got any better? Can't think of any. The game plan is ancient, out of date and easily circumvented, Carlton only look good when they decide to take the handbrake off and revert to Rattens style. The only recruiting he's done is to get Daisey when the need for a marking forward has been the crying obvious need, the closest he has got to that is Endrejis Everrit.

The brutal simplicity is that Carlton have gone backwards under Mick, not just as a team but as individuals as well, and I haven't heard anything about Mick not getting his way on any of the support staff. Micks only contribution to all this "I,m Mick F***ing Malthouse who the F*** are you!"

I'm amazed that people aren't picking up pitchforks and looking to perforate Mick with them, F*** if I was a Carlton supporter I would be.

Somewhat agreed with Malthouse. Highly overrated considering the resources he has had and I find his general demeanour to be abysmal and incredibly arrogant.

He was also incredibly ******* lucky to get the flag at Collingwood and would have been ours if we just played time on like a logical rule set would allow.

North are over represented on Bigfooty (they never had a bomberblitz, Nick's, Saintsational etc) and are reasonably insufferable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As much as I love going to the Grand Final every year, every time the siren goes at the end of the game, i look around the ground at people in states of delirium & despair. And if ive been softly barracking for the team that happens to win the game, I suddenly have this deflating feeling run through me like a Leigh Matthews hip n shoulder & it just says in a quiet voice "it's not the same, its not my Sainters"..... Then I just say quietly "our day will come, one day it will be us".

I live for this day...

I was so anxious during the final quarter in 2010, that when Goddard took that speccy, I jumped up so quickly that I passed out for 5 seconds.... They call it postural hypotension. When the siren went & the game was tied, I felt sick. I was shattered because I knew we'd got Collingwood on their 'week off' (you know what I mean, although winning a lot, the best team all season always seems to have a flat week every 8-12 games & that was GF day, just our luck!!!) & we failed to put them away.

I'm telling you this because I read some posts above about other teams winning flags, & I've gotta say that when I seriously think about it, I ******* hate the idea of other teams winning flags. It shits me & one day I want it to be us so I can know truly what it feels like...

One day it will be our day and I intend to get so drunk i want to wake up in hong kong wearing saints gear.

It will be the best day of my life when it happens (apologies to my future wife and kids/grandkids St Kilda came first)

i dont midn watching other grand finals as long as theres a team i can back and its close. last years was a massive meh, the quality of the game was the worst since 2007, atleast in 2007 the where was some excitement about geelong finally breaking the drought. but 2013 had two teams i couldnt give two hoots about, freo made in on the back of a weak draw and the game was just so one sided, saw freo came back but make no mistake about it that cup was always hawthorns. add in the shitty short passes to demolish ross lyons zone and it was a massive snore fest.

my favs excluding our years:
2012 - amazing game, was going for sydney. probably the best grand final ive seen. had it all.
2005 - amazing game. that mark. the back and forth. the miss kick to gift cousins a goal.
2002 - mick malthouse and thousands of pies supporters crying. going so close and then failing. tough game as well.

Hey guys, a random ass question and I had no idea where to ask it so I'll just ask here.

Does anybody remember a couple years ago when it was Jason Blake's free kick in the centre and the umpire on the boundary was going nuts cos they wouldn't give it to Blake? GIVE IT TO JASON BLAKE

Was telling me mate about it last night and said I would try to find the footage, but have no idea when it was, or who we were playing, or remember anything other than GIVE IT TO JASON BLAKE.

Does anyone know where I can find the footage?

Yeah I remember that - it was 2008 but I have searched and can't find any footage

man i thought i was the only bloke who rememberd that. **** that was some funny s**t. from now when im watching the footy jason blake is known as 'GIVE IT TO' Jason Blake. im gonna watch the tape again now damn that was funny

TassieSaint might know

Yeah I remember that - it was 2008 but I have searched and can't find any footage

Ah damn. Oh well at least I have a little more info on it.

The search begins!

Thanks mate.

EDIT: Nice! I'll send him a message. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Would prefer the Hawks, as it's good to see Isaac Smith go from Redan and obscurity to AFL premierships, the rest of them I could give two shits, good on them for supporting the grassroots talent. Similar story to Geelong and the Sunbury factor with Kelly & Guthrie now, however '09 stung so it all pales in comparison and is not really worth a mention, a second team or secondary individuals are just that; secondary.

I do disagree with the "footy is poor viewing" aspect though, yes the visual effort may be less than it once was (ie it's a struggle to find a bloke kick 10 in a match, when before some were kicking 15 each week) but the game itself, is much better than it once was, you see the increase in skill, the same desperation, the effort and it's almost micromanaged to the point where you, as the viewing public, can pick apart what the coach or the players are trying to do in that same moment and how the other side compensates for it (and what players are front running like a boss... Zaharakis). I often find myself at games just looking at the mess of people and finding reason to it, the structures the almost regimented style of play.

And it's bloody impressive what footy clubs and players have since become.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back