Resource General Footy History thread

Remove this Banner Ad

A couple of things I remember about '93 season straight away are the Gelelong and Essendon game where Ablett and Salmon kicked so many goals, and the phenomenal start to his career that Adrian McAdam had.

Geelong came home like a freight shinkansen that year.

Won their last 5, including victories against finalists 3–North (94pts), 4–Hawthorn (82pts), 1–Essendon (32pts) and 6–West Coast (20pts) at the WACA, only to miss the six on %.

Could well have won it all with just one more win.

A couple of things I remember about '93 season straight away are the Gelelong and Essendon game where Ablett and Salmon kicked so many goals, and the phenomenal start to his career that Adrian McAdam had.
I remember that Geelong Essendon game Saturday arvo MCG.
I think Ablett kicked less goals than Salmon but Geelong won.
Salmon would struggle today with the 30 second rule, you could make a cup of coffee while he was lining up and still be back in time to watch the kick.

I cant imagine a season ever being as good as 93.

Everything about it was awesome. Godra mania was legit

I remember Mark 'Elbows' Bickley effectively ending the Crows' 1993 challenge with a rancid fart as G. Cornes gave the players his half time address in the prelim final.

* this story may be the AFL equivalent of the ScoMo/Engadine Maccas one

I remember that Geelong Essendon game Saturday arvo MCG.
I think Ablett kicked less goals than Salmon but Geelong won.
Salmon would struggle today with the 30 second rule, you could make a cup of coffee while he was lining up and still be back in time to watch the kick.
Well I got that arse up 😂😂
Ablett ended up with 14.7; Salmon booted 10.6, and the Bombers ran out 23.18 (156) to 19.18 (132) winners.

I remember Mark 'Elbows' Bickley effectively ending the Crows' 1993 challenge with a rancid fart as G. Cornes gave the players his half time address in the prelim final.

* this story may be the AFL equivalent of the ScoMo/Engadine Maccas one
Caused by supplements that Greg Anderson was supplying them.

Remember how Anderson used to looked playing for Port Magpies and looked totally different playing for Essendon.
Same when I first seen David Hynes playing for West Coast almost unrecognisable.

Hynesy lost his powers after shaving his goatee off.

He went from looking like a bikie to looking like someone that ran a newsagent

Sounds like he went into witness protection.

Hynesy lost his powers after shaving his goatee off.

First time I seen him playing for West Coast up close it was the 94 Grand Final.
I couldn’t believe how much mussel he had put on.
The entire team looked Jacked up, I said to my mate when they ran out onto the ground this mood is going to kill them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First time I seen him playing for West Coast up close it was the 94 Grand Final.
I couldn’t believe how much mussel he had put on.
The entire team looked Jacked up, I said to my mate when they ran out onto the ground this mood is going to kill them.

I wondered why we never got Haynes back, especially when he switched to Freo.

Had a look and a 22 year old Matthew Primus played 22 games in 1997.

You wouldn't want to get in a blue with Hynesy either. He could go.

Still laugh at the punch on he started in the 1990 GF when he clipped Alan Bartlett while he was sitting on the ground.

Ford Fairlane wrote in the Lets Talk Port's thread in his post about the 1980 season tweet, how good Mike Coward's writing is and that he's a proper journalist.

Was always a fan of Mike even though he was a Norwood man, both footy and cricket stuff - his written as well as his spoken words. He was light years ahead of nearly everyone when in the mid to late 80's he said Australian cricket players, administrators and fans have to embrace cricket of India and Pakistan more and not see it as a tour where you play cricket, bad umpiring and get sick. I had Indian friends from pre teen years and never got why Indian cricket was so poorly treated.

Got to meet Mike in Sydney in the late 90's at a cricket game, spoke to him, we had a couple of mutual friends, including one who was very sick and was trialling some new cancer drug and we kept in touch for a few years and kept bumping into each other at sporting events.

I found this video of Norwood's 1978 Centenary celebrations about 18 months ago, that Mike organised for Ch 7 to broadcast when 7 had the SANFL TV rights - well when it was ADS 7 then not today's SAS 7 ( 7 and 10 Adelaide swapped on proclamation day 1987 because Kerry Stokes and Robert Holmes a Court were building national networks).

Mike is in his sartorial splendour of 1970's safari suit and colourful shirt, and interviews 3 greats from the 1920's including the great Wat (Walter) Scott who had won 2 Magarey medals - was given a 3rd one retrospectively in 1998 for tieing in 1921 but losing on a countback, won 4 flags, 6 times B&F and 38 state games which was a record until I think Neil Kerley played 39.

When I watched this I thought how good would it have been for Port to have been able to do this in 1970 on our centenary or 1980 on 110th anniversary and have colour TV and interview blokes in their late 70's and 80's talk about their career from the 1920's.

Last edited:
Mike Coward had a glass eye, mate of mine told me that in the media box when all the other journos were watching games through their binoculars Mike stood out with his telescope :D

Mike Coward had a glass eye, mate of mine told me that in the media box when all the other journos were watching games through their binoculars Mike stood out with his telescope :D
Yeah he had a dicky eye could see around corners.🤪
Most probably one of the best journalist around, also liked Merv Agars in his time.
Both could buy and sell todays mood in the same street.

I wondered why we never got Haynes back, especially when he switched to Freo.

Had a look and a 22 year old Matthew Primus played 22 games in 1997.
He played ruckman/ forward pocket role to perfection.
I think he was pretty well set up in Perth then so the switch to Freo would have been easy.
As Ford said he was a tough nut in his days.
When you think about it all Port players had a ruff edge even Mr Nice guy Martin Leslie😂

Yeah he had a dicky eye could see around corners.🤪
Most probably one of the best journalist around, also liked Merv Agars in his time.
Both could buy and sell todays mood in the same street.

Gordon Schwarz, fine journalist and absolute gentleman.

As has been posted Mike Coward was a red hot Norwood supporter and wrote a book about the history of the Norwood Football Club. Mike Coward spent a lot of time in England covering the cricket and has written numerous books on cricket. A genuine commentator on sport Coward is always insightful.

Before you guys go too far down memory lane not all the journos of the past were liked at Alberton. Lawrie Jervis, chief football writer for The News, was despised by the Port players in the 1950's and 1960's. During the six in a row Jervis wrote a scathing article outlining why Port could not beat West in the Grand Final. We won and Jervis made the mistake of going into the Port rooms after the game. His second mistake was to be wearing his Sunday suit as a couple of the boys, who I will not name, grabbed him and held him under a shower suit and all. Jervis never forgave Port after that and s**t canned us at every opportunity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back