Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 24

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The standard of that game last night was very ordinary, a casual viewer could have been excused for thinking they were watching a low division game from an inferior league, or even the curtain raiser before the real stuff began.

It wasn't difficult to see why the hawks spanked brisvegas, they aren't a top 4 team's rear end on current form and will have to improve significantly to do any more than make up the numbers in the finals, and the swannies are bottom 4 or 5 material at best.

I sometimes wonder what would have happened if that ball went a few extra metres.

Does our season just start spiraling out of control, or would we have just started this big win streak one week later?

Don’t forget both McCartin bros going off with concussion. Stars aligned.

I only listen to Port's games with the sound on but BT and Richo are clueless when it comes to the rules of Australian Rules Football. Moreso BT. BT constantly going on about how every free Port get is lucky just feeds the belief among numpty viewers that Port get a dream run from the umpires when infact the opposite is true.
Not as bad as Richo victim blaming JHF for the high tackle Q3..

Unpopular opinion.
Ross-Lyon-ball, Sling tackles and the rest is only an issue because of the HTB rule more and more favoring the tackler over the ball winner.

There are so many changes that should be made to how tackling is adjudicated, to reward genuine ball winners but also penalize them genuinely refusing to play the ball on.

Unpopular opinion.
Ross-Lyon-ball, Sling tackles and the rest is only an issue because of the HTB rule more and more favoring the tackler over the ball winner.
Nope. My opinion is this....

The sling tackle became a thing because umpires increasingly allowed players who were tackled to hold on to the ball without releasing for an extended period before making a call.

Add to that players were taught to hold on to the ball when tackled and only release it IF one of their own players was nearby - as a result rotations of up to 720 degrees were being made by the tackler with no reward and momentum in the game was slowed with the ball staying in the area for a ball up.

In response to the non call in such situations, the tacklers responded by taking the player to the ground - this is when the sling tackle and head injuries became prevalent.

In short - both the tackler AND the tackling players responding to poor adjudication.

But the AFL will never admit that THEY and caused the issue in the first place. And so are suspending players for tackling as they try and make up a solution on the run.

In short - both the tackler AND the tackling players responding to poor adjudication.

But the AFL will never admit that THEY and caused the issue in the first place. And so are suspending players for tackling as they try and make up a solution on the run.

It’s staggering that they haven’t bedded down a proper framework since,

1) Robbie Gray had his arms pinned and was launched head first into the ground by Bryce Gibbs against Carlton (not a free kick at the time, but Gibbs was suspended despite the likes of Leigh Matthews saying he didn’t have a case to answer). Considered a “double-movement” and avoidable/deliberate.

2) Jay Schulz was found not guilty at the tribunal for pinning Ted Richards’ arms and tackling him to the ground where head first. Considered one movement and therefore unavoidable/not deliberate.

Both occurred in 2015. 2015!

I don't see what the problem is with protecting the head. It's not a blood sport or combat sport, it's a ball game. There's still plenty of physicality in the game without dangerous tackles that leave players open to concussion.

It reminds me of when the media were defending van Rooyen for a spoil to the head earlier in the season on the basis that it's "part of the game". No, head high contact is not part of the game, it's expressly against the rules.

Who had the better career; Robbie Gray or Jason Porplyzia? Text us in with your thoughts!

Nope. My opinion is this....

The sling tackle became a thing because umpires increasingly allowed players who were tackled to hold on to the ball without releasing for an extended period before making a call.

Add to that players were taught to hold on to the ball when tackled and only release it IF one of their own players was nearby - as a result rotations of up to 720 degrees were being made by the tackler with no reward and momentum in the game was slowed with the ball staying in the area for a ball up.

In response to the non call in such situations, the tacklers responded by taking the player to the ground - this is when the sling tackle and head injuries became prevalent.

Like I said, mine is an unpopular opinion.

When senior school coaching for a season and having players becoming frustrated with not getting HTB calls, we started sessions of game simulation practice with a modified tackling adjudication to teach the reward of a good tackle is the tackle, not a right to a free kick.
Note these were to encourage technique, not to be game day rule changes.

• single tackler only (no gang tackles) and not go to ground, only way to get a HTB
  • throw a player to the ground, free kick against for poor tackle
  • tackle a player already on the ground with the ball fairly (no head high, in the back etc like you see now), immediate free kick HTB

Took only about 10 minutes to see the change in freer game play and tackling technique
  • Rewarded the ball winner rather than second to the ball. Taught ball winners to keep their feet rather than dive on the ball.
  • Taught tacklers to tackle to lock the ball in and impede, not to hurt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Need a Last Dance-esque Documentary on this season

so many stories

Boak - last season?, Last hurrah

Hinkley - uncontracted, last season?

the Finalysons

the emergence of Rozee/Butters

JHF

11 in a row
And hoping for:

- premiership

- butters Brownlow

-aliir norm smith

I don't see what the problem is with protecting the head. It's not a blood sport or combat sport, it's a ball game. There's still plenty of physicality in the game without dangerous tackles that leave players open to concussion.

It reminds me of when the media were defending van Rooyen for a spoil to the head earlier in the season on the basis that it's "part of the game". No, head high contact is not part of the game, it's expressly against the rules.
Same dickheads will sfellow about an ear massage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back