Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 25

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

We have connections with EVERYONE!!!!

So Excited Reaction GIF

How many teams did Geelong wallop in 2007? it smells to high heaven & always has.
After a fairly lacklustre start in 2007 (2 wins 3 losses), on the 6th May in Round 6 Geelong beat Richmond by 157 points, the scores being G 35 12 to R 9 11. They remain undefeated until Round 21 when Port beat them by 5 points at he Cattery. By the way Geelong copped a fine for not playing our song after the final siren. I guess that result was never meant to happen!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After a fairly lacklustre start in 2007 (2 wins 3 losses), on the 6th May in Round 6 Geelong beat Richmond by 157 points, the scores being G 35 12 to R 9 11.

That game was like the Big Bang.

Everyone knew how much raw talent Geelong had, and there was a distinct vibe of “ohp, they’re going to waste”, similar to the accusations currently levelled at Bevo & the Dogs.

In 2006 they’d lost to baby Hawthorn twice — 52 points at Kardinia Park & 61 points at Docklands — and had been obliterated by 100+ by a rising but by no means infallible Collingwood.

As you say, 2-3 to start 2007 and as flakey as ever — and then good gravy, that 157-point win over Plough’s Richmond came out of nowhere and they didn’t look back.

I distinctly remember tipping the [hitherto winless] Tigers as they’d looked quite solid against the reigning premiers the week before, while the Cats had lost their last two including falling to an 8-goal David Hale(!) barrage at the Cattery.

16 years later we’re still double and triple-checking for a pulse to ensure their era is really gone.

That game was like the Big Bang.

Everyone knew how much raw talent Geelong had, and there was a distinct vibe of “ohp, they’re going to waste”, similar to the accusations currently levelled at Bevo & the Dogs.

In 2006 they’d lost to baby Hawthorn twice — 52 points at Kardinia Park & 61 points at Docklands — and had been obliterated by 100+ by a rising but by no means infallible Collingwood.

As you say, 2-3 to start 2007 and as flakey as ever — and then good gravy, that 157-point win over Plough’s Richmond came out of nowhere and they didn’t look back.

I distinctly remember tipping the [hitherto winless] Tigers as they’d looked quite solid against the reigning premiers the week before, while the Cats had lost their last two including falling to an 8-goal David Hale(!) barrage at the Cattery.

16 years later we’re still double and triple-checking for a pulse to ensure their era is really gone.
I was in Melbourne for the Demons game at the MCG and I can vividly remember a centre spread in a Sunday paper written condemning the party boys from Geelong. It was scathing! Get rid of them all and start again as this current group is useless! There were a few home truths put out there. The Geelong party boys must have read the paper that Sunday morning through their bleary eyes and decided it was time to play.

I was in Melbourne for the Demons game at the MCG and I can vividly remember a centre spread in a Sunday paper written condemning the party boys from Geelong. It was scathing! Get rid of them all and start again as this current group is useless! There were a few home truths put out there. The Geelong party boys must have read the paper that Sunday morning through their bleary eyes and decided it was time to play.

Lol yes! Stevie J was in the middle of a ban due to repeated drunken hijinks and general unprofessionalism.

Not only does he straighten up and fly right, but wins a freaking Norm Smith.

Or Billy Frampton when ....... oh wait a minute 🥺

Brodie Grundy

I always thought the coolest bit of trivia was Craig Bradley playing the last of his Australian record 501 senior games (SANFL, VFL/AFL, SOO, IR) against Port — 30 & 1 with 3 Brownlow Votes to boot.

Tasty bit of nostalgic happenstance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back