Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 23

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whately in his Monday review segment with David King said that if Robbie Gray was the clutch player of his generation, the title has been handed to Jamie Elliot.

I was talking to my mate who used to post on here D_One, before the Collingwood game, about our season and players, where our deficiencies were as well as Collingwood's season and players, and talk got to Jamie Elliot and one of us said Elliot is like a younger Robbie Gray - can do anything and wins games. Like Robbie's early career Elliot has missed a lot of games with injuries but you play them when they are fit enough.

Robbie missed a season with a knee injury when he was 23/24, Elliot missed a season with a back injury when he was 23/24. Whilst Robbie could play midfield and Elliot has only had minimal time in the midfield, they are both smart, dangerous small forwards who you can't give time and space to, or they will cut you apart.

Last edited:
ARGH!

I feel this personally.

I was not a star player but I was ok and did throw myself around a lot. I wasn't big, not too little, but undersized for a teen, tall than average but thinner too.
Every year at junior footy the most courageous player went to a short guy that also threw himself around and maybe wasn't quite as good as me at football stuff. I took it personally. I had concussions and blood rules and teeth knocks through my lips, year in year out, and only once did I get recognition for it. Always felt he got the award because he was short and not as good at you know, kicking and running and tackling, etc.
Let it go edgie
Most courageous player ranks along side coaches award for a bit of recognition for player who can't play but tries hard. (NH - runner up for coaches award, 1983)

The more I think about North and Clarkson, the more I think it will be an absolute disaster.

They are a club that simply cannot grow their base, it will take Hawthorn style success for them to even have a chance.

For THAT to happen will need substantial investment.

They are priding themselves on being debt free (on the back of Tassie money, running super lean and AFLW and government handouts).

If they do invest substantially and the Clarkson experiment doesn't deliver results, there's no way back out of the hole for them, other than Tasmania.

All I can think is that the re-location is all but assured if they don't win something soon and this is a desperate attempt to avoid it...or it has already been agreed.

Let it go edgie
Most courageous player ranks along side coaches award for a bit of recognition for player who can't play but tries hard. (NH - runner up for coaches award, 1983)

Like the rest of my life, I was stuck as an inbetweener - not good enough for best and fairest placing, but not s**t enough for those 'tries hard' awards.

When Robbie was at his peak and going through the midfield more I don't think any comparisons I've heard in the last week are anywhere near him. He had the same matrix thing Pendlebury had in his prime but with more ball handling tricks. Robbie not winning a Brownlow in that period is a disgrace.

When Robbie was at his peak and going through the midfield more I don't think any comparisons I've heard in the last week are anywhere near him. He had the same matrix thing Pendlebury had in his prime but with more ball handling tricks. Robbie not winning a Brownlow in that period is a disgrace.
Nah its consistent that the greats don't win one because the umpires are too dumb. Whitten, Farmer, Matthews, Jesaulenko, Ablett Snr, Carey, Gray etc etc etc etc

Is Harrison Petty's mother ill or dying?

If not, crying on field by a grown man seems a little OTT.
Yes

ARGH!

I feel this personally.

I was not a star player but I was ok and did throw myself around a lot. I wasn't big, not too little, but undersized for a teen, tall than average but thinner too.
Every year at junior footy the most courageous player went to a short guy that also threw himself around and maybe wasn't quite as good as me at football stuff. I took it personally. I had concussions and blood rules and teeth knocks through my lips, year in year out, and only once did I get recognition for it. Always felt he got the award because he was short and not as good at you know, kicking and running and tackling, etc.
So you are really Justin Westhoff.

Hoff, Hoff, Hoff. Hoff.

Nah its consistent that the greats don't win one because the umpires are too dumb. Whitten, Farmer, Matthews, Jesaulenko, Ablett Snr, Carey, Gray etc etc etc etc
I'd take the Brownlow away from the umps in a heartbeat or at least have their votes collated with other observers at the games.. we change everything else, umpires are just stat rack boffins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFLCA MVP is the thinking man's Brownlow.

Is it just a coincidence that Mark Williams at Richmond and Melbourne has helped players at those clubs have the right mental approach to their footy. I know Choco wasn't at Richmond when they went top but imo he still had an influence on the players.

My point being, if we do replace Hinkley, Choco would be what we are missing in the mental and skill area of our game, he would imo make a fantastic head of development along with a new coach.

Last edited:
Is it just a coincidence that Mark Williams at Richmond and melbourne has helped players at those clubs have the right mental approach to their footy. I know Choco wasn't at Richmond when they went top but imo he still had an influence on the players.

My point being, if we do replace Hinkley, Choco would be what we are missing in the mental and skill area of our game, he would imo make a fantastic head of development along with a new coach.
I'd back a Chocco/Hinkley combo for the lols.

They're the polar opposite of Port Adelaide - when we get in a tight contest, we fold faster than you can say SACK HINKLEY, while Collingwood thrives in similar circumstances. Whatever McRae is doing with that group, it's working wonders.
Win 10 games against bottom 10 sides by less than 12 points?

So you are really Justin Westhoff.

Hoff, Hoff, Hoff. Hoff.
Nah I wasn't, how would you say it? Enigmatic?

Brad Ebert more like. An honest player who occasionally found my way in to best players, but was never say in the top half dozen at selection or seasons end.

Last edited:
Dayne Zorko stars in this weeks episode of "Things That Will Get You Fired in the Real World, But Not in the AFL"

Nah I wasn't, how would you say it? Enigmatic?

Brad Ebert more like. An honest player who occasionally found my way in to best players, but was never say in the top half dozen.
Well I can beat you for frustration.

I was the Jed McEntee (pre last two games) of rugby and league.

Too good for ammos, too s**t for fully pro!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back